PDA

View Full Version : Final: Gilmer 28 Jefferson 0

Buckeyeman
09-03-2004, 10:27 PM
The Gilmer Buckeyes go 2-0 for the season with a shutout win over the
Jefferson Bulldogs. The Buckeye defense is looking good this year -they have allowed only 7 points.

Go Buckeyes!!

Buckeye80
09-04-2004, 12:18 AM
The defense did look good tonight, but what was with all the dropped balls? It's like Coach Traylor jinxed them by bragging about no dropped balls last week. The offense looked pretty stagnant at times, but that's probably just because we were playing a team darn near as fast as we are. I think that's probably the only weakness with this year's team. They want to run around everyone (which don't get me wrong, is a good strategy), but they kinda hesitate when an opposing player keeps up with them. The difference (to me) between last year's team and this year's is mainly strength. This year's team has just as much speed as last year's, but they don't have the physical strength, especially at TB that the Buckeyes had last year.
Overall, I was pleased. Jefferson will have a good team if they get their offense on track. They have a very good defense. We just had a little too much in the passing game for them. I think the passing game led to that last touchdown because they got a little soft against the run.
I'm thrilled with a 2-0 start, and I wish everyone the best of luck.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-04-2004, 12:22 AM
Just think, as these kids gel they will only get better. looks like a another good year for the Buckeyes.

Buckeye80
09-04-2004, 12:24 AM
Hope to see you in the State Semi's "Z-Motion".
Good luck to your Lions!!:D

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-04-2004, 12:28 AM
That would be great!

The Lions still have a lot of work to do on offense. But never know.

if we both make it maybe they will send the 3A shirt we can get in the picture!

Buckeye80
09-04-2004, 12:32 AM
I'll sit next to you at the game and we can take turns choking each other.:D :D

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-04-2004, 12:36 AM
I may be choking you more with the big play passing O that Gilmer has!

Buckeye80
09-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Don't try to lull me into a false sense of confidence. That "aw shucks we'll just try to stay on the field with ya'" routine won't work. Everyone knows about the Lions' success last year, and y'all played Atlanta 1 point closer than we did. If anything, we would be the underdogs playing a state semi-finalist when we were just lowly state quarter-finalists last year.:D :D

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-04-2004, 12:50 AM
I would be thrilled to see both teams make it that far. Would be great! Vernon's defense looks great. But the O-line needs a lot of work and our starting HB and WB (who both play both ways) are injured. So our backups have had problems with fumbles. We will see how good Vernon is against Graham and Abilene Wylie. If Vernon can beat those two teams then they have a shot at getting back. Decatur though, if they go D2, could be a very very tough team to beat.

I'll be watching for Gilmer though. Hey I did listen to the Atlanta Gilmer game on the radio last year. Our local station worked a deal to receive the broadcast. I was shocked because I knew we would be playing Gilmer.

Buckeye80
09-04-2004, 01:00 AM
Think you were shocked? I was getting ready to make my reservations somewhere near Dallas. I remember thinking that it would be funny to play Vernon because one of the first high school football games I ever listened to on the radio was a Vernon playoff game.
About us briefly: We have a great amount of speed which seems to be what our coach wants us built around. But don't get the wrong impression. Our kids are very well coached. Of course everyone knows that we lost 18 starters from last year's team, but I think we may be in the process of making the jump to a perennial playoff team. We are comparible to last year's team, but probably not as good. We lack a little size and a lot of experience, but I look for us to do well......I hope so anyway. Remember this name....Terrance Lovely. He is a transfer from a 2A scholl about 20 miles away. He is gonna' be special!

Gilmer Buckeye
09-04-2004, 07:42 AM
Gilmer has a really awesome defense this year.

My only rap on Manuel Johnson at QB is that he throws those short passes into the flat way too hard. His receivers did drop some, but it's bound to hurt your hands to try to catch a bullet like that when you're only 10 or 12 yards away. He needs to try to develop the kind of touch that Derek McKenzie had.

There was also too much pressure on Johnson at times. One time he had to stiff-arm a Bulldog before he could set up to throw the ball. This is not surprising, given the youth and inexperience of the line as compared to last year's veterans.

Link to game account:

http://www.news-journal.com/sports/newsfd/auto/feed/sports/2004/09/04/1094276888.18121.1064.8941.html