PDA

View Full Version : Scandal In Pearsall

intocable_cowboy
09-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Theres a scandal brewing in Pearsall lately. It appears some students decided to celebrate snapping their 20 something game losing streak the wrong way. On the evening Sat Aug 28, police were summoned to the scene of 17yr old female lying on the street unconscious from alcohol consumption, police also believed she had been sexually assualted. Investigations that night led police to residence in Pearsall, which resulted in a raid of party, and although some did get away over 40 citations for consumption of alcohol by a minor were issued. Two more students at the party were also treated for alcohol poisoning. Students ranged in age from 13-17yrs. The resisdence belonged to a teacher at Pearsall High, who claims was asleep upstairs during the party and had no knowledge of the party. Charges have not been filed to this date although misdemeanor and felony charges could still be pending for the teacher. Eight of those citied were varisty football players, of those eight, five were starters; all of whom are suspended from this weeks game against SA West Campus. Other students involved have been said to be band members and cheerleaders.

Information obtained from the Frio - Nueces Current

From my view, I understand that sometimes teens make mistakes like these. We were all young once and sometimes we would get out of control. That doesn't mean its right to do though. But what makes this a disturbing story is that a teacher might have had a hand in this, when they're the ones we trust to push are kids in the right direction. Now what I want to know from ya'll is a one game suspension fair, too light or too harsh, and your general views on this.

JasperDog94
09-03-2004, 11:03 AM
A similar thing happened in Huffman a few years ago. One of the computer teachers had a party for their child and SERVED BEER AT THE PARTY. She was summarily released by the district. What goes through people's minds that they think it's okay to let kids drink at their house? And if there were 40 or so kids at this party, the only way you would be asleep is if you were passed out.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Titans
09-03-2004, 11:10 AM
You have parents today that not only do drugs in front of their kids, but also provide those drugs FOR their kids.

This isn't a surprise at all. Nothing should surprise us anymore...it doesn't me!

Ok, possibly if the doctor told my wife we were having twins??!?!?@?#@$^&*@^#$

jason
09-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by intocable_cowboy
The resisdence belonged to a teacher at Pearsall High, who claims was asleep upstairs during the party and had no knowledge of the party. :eek: :doh: :eek: :doh: :rolleyes:

JasperDog94
09-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by intocable_cowboy
The resisdence belonged to a teacher at Pearsall High, who claims was asleep upstairs during the party and had no knowledge of the party.
While we're throwing BS flags, I'm gonna have to throw one on this teacher.:crazy: :crazy:

CHS_Grad '85
09-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Saw this on the news the other night... they reported that the house belonged to an older couple who were asleep and unaware of the party... the teacher was in attendance and had provided the alcohol for the students... she's been suspended without pay... they didn't mention how many students were involved much less that some were football players... and definately nothing about a sexual assault... very sad...

CHS_Grad '85
09-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Okay.... here you go... Pearsall Teacher (http://www.kvue.com/news/state/stories/083004cccakvueteacher.cc336450.html)

Ranger Mom
09-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
While we're throwing BS flags, I'm gonna have to throw one on this teacher.:crazy: :crazy:

Here ya go!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/bs.gif

JasperDog94
09-03-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Here ya go!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/bs.gif That's fantanstic RM!!!

CHS_Grad '85
09-03-2004, 11:28 AM
And yet another article...

Cops grilling teens in booze bash bust
Web Posted: 09/01/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Jeorge Zarazua
San Antonio Express-News

Pearsall police on Tuesday began the arduous task of re-interviewing all 42 students cited for underage drinking at a local teacher's house to determine what, if any, charges should be filed against the educator and her husband.

The couple have told police they were asleep in their upstairs bedroom and were unaware more than 60 teenagers, mostly football players, cheerleaders and band students, were drinking alcohol inside their home Saturday night.

Police Chief Roland Hernandez said officers were able to further question only seven students before the end of the school day Tuesday.

"It's going slow, so it will be early next week before they expect to finish," said Pearsall schools Superintendent Mario Sotelo.

Hernandez said the process is being slowed because the younger teenagers need to be magistrated before they can be questioned.

"It's going to take awhile," the police chief said. "This is not an overnight deal."

Hernandez said the students questioned Tuesday were cooperative.

"We're going to be patient on our side," Sotelo said, adding the school district will wait for the Police Department to finish its investigation before determining what disciplinary action to take against the teacher.

The teacher, who hasn't been identified, has been asked not to show up for work until the investigation is complete. She is on paid leave from the high school.

The teacher's son was among the students ticketed at the party.

The superintendent said those students ticketed for underage drinking who are involved in extracurricular activities will be disciplined.

Sotelo said some students would not be allowed to participate in Friday's football game.

Police were led to the teacher's house on Ash Street after finding an unconscious teenage girl lying on the edge of a road. She had multiple ant bites.

She was flown to a San Antonio hospital, where she was treated for alcohol poisoning and released.

Sgt. Robert Reyes of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said his agency will help Pearsall authorities investigate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jzarazua@express-news.net

GoDeep
09-03-2004, 12:35 PM
The teacher should be fired and the kids suspended from any extra curricular activities they're involved in.

CHS_Grad '85
09-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Ideally - that should happen... but I'm sure it won't... the teacher will take the fall... the kids will pay their fines and that'll be the end of it... really sad...

JasperDog94
09-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by GoDeep
The teacher should be fired and the kids suspended from any extra curricular activities they're involved in. That's good for everyone else...but not my child...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CS_WILDCATS
09-04-2004, 12:16 AM
its a shame that all this scandal is going on in pearsall, considering that the football team is off to one of their best starts in years.

big daddy russ
09-04-2004, 08:50 AM
Maybe I'm being a little easy on the kids, but I wouldn't go so far as to ban them from all extracurricular activities. Kids will be kids. There's going to be problems with underage drinking long after we're worm food. Suspend them for a couple of weeks, can the teacher and be done with it. I can understand having a drink or two with your kid, but hosting a party-- especially while you're a teacher-- is unacceptable.

Bandera YaYa
09-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Of course, the teacher should be history.......no way should she or he be allowed back into the school district. Period. If she or he is just slapped on the hands, then what kind of example is the school district setting for the kids. True, kids are just kids, and they are going to test the limits, but the teacher is an adult who knew better and who knew exactly what she or he was doing and what the consequences would be. Besides, would you want your kids taught by someone who is apparently so STUPID!!!

3afan
09-05-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
.... I can understand having a drink or two with your kid, ...

you're kidding, right??? either that or you're not a parent of a teenager.

PhiI C
09-05-2004, 08:10 AM
I can understand what Big Daddy Russ means. Remember he said a drink or two not too excessive and I am sure he doesn't mean to drive a car afterward or go out. My parents didn't drink alcoholic beverages but my father once told me that he didn't want me to drink but if I was going to anyway he would rather have beer or liquor at the house than for me to be away from the house where I could get into trouble. And he was the old fashion type parent that if you got a whippen at school and he found out then you got another whippen at home. Of course I didn't take up his offer as most kids wouldn't. Now that I am a parent I see his wisdom but I can't have a drink or two with my kids because being diabetic and the medicine I take doesn't allow alcohol to be consumed or else the consequences could be fatal.

Bandera YaYa
09-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
you're kidding, right??? either that or you're not a parent of a teenager.

I raised two teenagers alone and I know every situation is different, but the worst thing you can assume is that when your
precious child walks out that door to hang out with friends, that he or she will not be around alcohol or drugs. And it has been my experience that the kids whose parents were the strictest (about doing things and going places with friends), were the kids that ended up going absolutely crazy when out of their parents hold (like going away to college!). I say you talk to you kids, keep talking to your kids, but you have to allow them to see what it's all about, like having a drink with you at home, to show them that you trust them when they are away from you, to make the right decisions. But if you are out there, basically locking them up every weekend, you are just asking for trouble. Because when they do get out, they will RUN do the very thing you were locking them up for!! I know, it's hard to raise teenagers in today's world. And every kid is different. It's a fine line you have to walk with them. You have to have their trust and it's a two way street. And you have to pray alot, too!! Being a parent is the hardest job in the world!!

big daddy russ
09-05-2004, 01:10 PM
I'm only 24 so no, I haven't had the experience of a teenager. I don't have a problem with having a drink with your kid, but in the community in which I was raised many of my friends and their fathers would do it. My dad was no different, he would let me have a beer at the dinner table.

None of us ever went crazy or wild after high school, but we learned our limits early. The way my dad explained it was that it (having a drink w/your parents) wasn't as much of a taboo when he was growing up, that it was just lessons in moderation. And Phil is right, I'm not saying go off the deep end and get sloshed with your kids, but give them a good example. I wouldn't want my kids learning how to drink from their friends when my wife and I could teach them how to do it responsibly.

JasperDog94
09-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Picture this conversation from a father's perspective:

"Sure son, go ahead and have that beer. Oh I know it's against the law, but it's okay, you're at home. What's that? What other laws can you break while you're at home? Oh, I don't know. What laws were you thinking about breaking? Oh, I don't think you should smoke marijuana. Why not? Because it's against the law."

Where does it stop once you start teaching your children that it's okay to obey some laws but not others? How do they know which laws to obey and which laws it's okay to break?

Bandera YaYa
09-05-2004, 10:43 PM
Is it against the law to allow your child to have a beer in your home? I didn't think it was. Now, you can't give someone else's kid a beer in your home. I am not saying your way of thinking is wrong. Myself, I wish there was no alcohol or drugs in the world. I was married to an alcoholic (of course he said he wasn't, but what do you call drinking a six pack and washing that down with a huge bourbon and coke every single nite??) His drinking ruined everything in my life. So, believe me, I hate what it can do. I'm just saying , it is around and don't think your kids won't want to see what it's all about and I would rather they come to me.

Bandera YaYa
09-05-2004, 10:46 PM
...and, I don't teach my kids that it's Ok to break the law. Do you have any kids? Any teenagers?

kiwi_rae12
09-05-2004, 11:21 PM
I'm from Pearsall and yes, i was at the party. I didn't recieve a citation becuase i wasn't drinking. All i can say is don't believe everything you hear in the media. I haven't heard one completely acurate story yet from any news station, news paper, or website. And if you want the full truth, that girl that they found on the side of the road got herself drunk. I was one of the first ones at the party, like in the first 10 people, and she was drunk when i got there! She also brought her own beer and drank it herself. Then she started to pick fights with other girls so the host of the party took her home, but SHE did not want to go inside her house because she new she would get in trouble because she was drunk. Next thing we know the cops find her passed out and trace it back to the party, and bam, we're raided. So that's the full story, she wasn't raped or anything. Also, the teacher did NOT supply beer at the party, they got there after the party started and went to their room and stayed in there, because at the time it wasn't that bad. I agree that she should have stopped it, but I think the media is making her sound WAY worse than situation is. There were easily about 100 people or more that were at the party at some point, is was too hard to stop, and nobody was in a dangerous situation yet. Also the teacher and her husband said way before the cops came that no one who can't drive should drive, that they would take anyone home that needed a ride home. ALSO, they were announcing way before the raid that the party was going to stop at 12 (which is early for us), and it was bad luck that the cops showed up at 11:45. They were trying to keep in under control by going to give us rides and stopping the party at 12, they were just going to let us have a little fun. Yeah, i agree it's still wrong, but she did try to do the right thing, and people need to understand that. I'm tired of all the rumors soaring around, so i wanted to set some of them straight. Also, take into consideration how much it sucks for us kids. The cops are pulling us out of class to question us and kids are turning on each other, knarking people out, it's chaotic and dramatic at school. No one can trust who they thought were their friends anymore. Rumors are going around the whole stupid town that aren't true about kids. I've even heard some about me getting drunk off my a**. This really hurt me because i don't drink, but now adults think of me as a trouble kid. You don't know how much this hurts when we hear rumors, not to mention the workout from hell we got in athletics cuase of this, and suspension from the extra curricular activities for citations. So also take into consideration what us kids are going through, insteading of bashing our party or the teacher.

Bandera YaYa
09-05-2004, 11:31 PM
It's called having consequences for your choices. And that teacher apparently made the choice to allow the party to go on....setting a early time for it to be over is just another stupid decision she made. If I had come home and found minors drinking at my house, I would have called their parents and had them picked up and taken home. Come on now....I know you are just a kid, but nothing you said makes any difference on what she chose to do. I mean, 100 kids at her house??? and she ignored it??? went to her room??? Just who was the adult in this situation? Was it her kid's party?? Or do minors just invite themselves over to her house whenever, to party???? Hey, my main concern is for the safety of the kids....drinking and driving......if you killed your best friend because of it, think about how you would live with that, and having to look at their family grieve......you kids just have to realize how "just having a little fun" could be tragic.

Buffalo
09-05-2004, 11:49 PM
I would bet she will not have a job.

Bandera YaYa
09-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Buffalo
I would bet she will not have a job. Sad, but what was she thinking??????

kiwi_rae12
09-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Yeah, kids do show up at these parties just to show up and party, there's no invitation type thing. And yeah, i think she's going to lose her job, if she hasn't already. She was my cheerleading sponsor and they are already looking for a replacement. And yeah, i'm not saying she's right now, i'm just sticking up for her becuase she is not as bad as the news portrays her to be.

LH Panther Mom
09-06-2004, 09:13 AM
Maybe she's not as bad as the news portrays her to be, but she definitely did not make a smart decision. Maybe she'll think next time something like this goes on in her house. YaYa is right, what if someone had died?

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
...and, I don't teach my kids that it's Ok to break the law. Do you have any kids? Any teenagers? I have a little girl that just turned 1. And no way in "you know where" will I let her drink at my house or condone it elsewhere.

It's my hope and prayer as a parent that I'll make smart decisions in raising her so that she will understand the when there is a rule or a law, that she should follow it.

Bandera YaYa
09-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I have a little girl that just turned 1. And no way in "you know where" will I let her drink at my house or condone it elsewhere.

It's my hope and prayer as a parent that I'll make smart decisions in raising her so that she will understand the when there is a rule or a law, that she should follow it. Well, one year old is definitely a better age to have to raise.....and I hope and pray that she will always do as you tell her to....but don't be surprised if she gets a little independent on you as some point. Unless, you are planning on hiding her until she is 21, she will be exposed and I am willing to bet she will want to see what it's all about. One thing I have learned about raising kids,...NEVER say "My child will NEVER do that".....because 99.9% they will. And it won't matter how hard you planted into her head what's right and wrong, she will most likely fumble at something....hopefully it will be something small, but Never say "Never"! You will eat your words!! But then your child is only 1 and the difference between that and a teenager is a ocean apart.....just wait.....you'll see....good luck!! :)

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks Ya Ya. My biggest concern is when parents think that they're doing their child a favor and letting them drink at home. My wife is a big Oprah watcher, and on one of her episodes she had parents that let their kids drink at an early age at home. She also had some "experts" there that had done studies on this type of behavior and found no difference in kids that drank at home with supervision and those that had it forbidden. The study concluded that kids don't push the limits with mom and dad around and that if anything, that made them more likely to drink heavily when they went away to college.

I just think it's sending your child the wrong message when you tell them it's okay to drink when the law says 21. But then again, that's just my .02 cents.:)

Bandera YaYa
09-06-2004, 05:23 PM
If you can keep your child from drinking until she is 21, then that would be great. But if she wants to try it, I would hope she would ask you instead of sneaking behind your back, with who knows who, and who knows where......just keep the lines of communication open....for the good, the bad and the ugly. Life is never as you expect it to be. :) You are a young Dad......of course you can't imagine her doing anything wrong or dangerous....but get back to me in about 15 years and tell me how it is!! It isn't always black or white, there is alot of gray out there!! You gotta learn to deal with the gray to keep your children safe!!

PhiI C
09-06-2004, 07:31 PM
You missed the point I also intended. Sure you can tell your kid your would rather them drink at home. But ain't no teenage kid going to warnt to stay home and drink there. It is just like the argument that the girl scouts once had over whether or not to let boys join. It was a big argument till an old man said "What are you arguing about. Ain't no young boy going to want to join something called the girl scouts!"

Gobbla2001
09-06-2004, 07:35 PM
I'm not trying to say "Oh no, poor teacher", but we don't know the full story here...

Was the teacher friends of one of the students' family? So was that student over there, then that family friend goes to sleep up stairs, then he invites some friends over because the lady has a liquor cabinet?

And also, when you hear 'party' you think 'loud music etc...'...

But there may not have been any, they could have just been drinking and keep it down a little...

I doubt it, but innocent until proven guilty is what I've always been taught...

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
You are a young Dad......of course you can't imagine her doing anything wrong or dangerous....but get back to me in about 15 years and tell me how it is!! Trust me, I have no delusions of that. I know that there will be times that I'm not sure what the right decision is, but that's where I'm hoping to lean on some Divine intervention because the Lord will have to help me there. Either with making a tough decision as a parent or keeping her safe in a situation that's completely out of controll.

I watched her get sick several times last Tuesday night. There was nothing I could do for her. That had to be the toughest thing I've had to do as a dad...watch my daugher hurt and not be able to do anything about it. I have a new-found respect for all parents that have had to do the same thing.

Bandera YaYa
09-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Hey, you'll do just fine....I can see you are a great Dad.....she's lucky to have you..I hope she is feeling better now! :)

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 09:57 PM
You know kids. They bounce right back and don't think twice about it. We had her one year old pictures done today. Man, that girl loves the camera. I don't know that this bodes well for me raising a fisherwoman...;)