PDA

View Full Version : Ferris At Royse City...Predictions

football_fanatic
09-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Any one have an opinion about this one?

Titans
09-02-2004, 12:39 PM
Don't know much about Ferris, but I know RC lost to Celina this past weekend.

I'm assuming since RC is rated in the DMN poll, they've got to be better than Ferris????

PPHSfan
09-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Royse City should win this one handily.

LineCoach
09-02-2004, 12:48 PM
I'm biased, but don't be surprised with the upset. Ferris wins.

zeke
09-02-2004, 01:49 PM
The Royse City Bulldogs return 8 offensive starters and 8 defensive starters from last years 5-5 team.
The Ferris Yellow Jackets return a lot of varsity experience, as well, with 7 starters on offense and 9 starters on defense returning from last years 4-6 team.

Last year Ferris lost in a close match to Royse City 21-28. Both teams played a pretty tough schedule last year and lost by narrow margins in almost every game.

Royse City got humbled last week by Celina and may have lost some of their confidence. They may play tougher this week not wanting to start out 0-2.

Ferris has what appears to be a smart coach and they can find your weak spot on your defensive side. I believe Ferris could win a lot of games this year and starts it up with a narrow upset of Royse City. Fido gets stung again this week!!!

PPHSfan
09-02-2004, 01:52 PM
I have a hard time understanding a loss to Celina as a humbling experience. Did 69 out of the last 72 teams that they played get "humbled"?

zeke
09-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Celina is a good team. Most of those 69 you quote were 2A schools. If those 69 had been against against good 3A teams, you might have a better point.

With as many excellent sounding athletes and starters as what Royse City had coming back from last season, I would have expected a win against Celina and surely not a 3 touchdown differential. Call it what you want to...I would think it would be a humbling experience or at least very disappointing.

PPHSfan
09-02-2004, 02:36 PM
Actually a whole bunch of those schools are 3A teams. Celina has played 3a teams in preseason for years. They also won 21 and lost 3 in the last two years they spent in 3a. They lost in 2002 to Daingerfiled, and they lost last year to Gainesville and Gilmer. They have not lost a game at home since 1997, and some of those wins at home were games like their 2002 victory over Gainesville 28-20. I am pretty sure losing a game to Celina at home falls somewhat short of a "humbling" experience.

PPHSfan
09-02-2004, 02:37 PM
If Celina were in 3A again this year, they would be ranked in front of about 160 or more 3A teams.

Titans
09-03-2004, 07:57 AM
No doubt about it, PPHS!

Lest we forget....

it's CELINA!!!!!!

They are much better than 99% of all football teams in the state. Let us bow down to the Celina Bobcats in AWE of their magnificent power and might.

SLC would struggle AT Celina!

Again, I'm over the top on this one, but I agree with zeke's point. RC has 18 starters returning. That alone should have made the game closer than a 3 touchdowns

Seeing the stats...RC had more yards, more 1st downs, oh and YES, more penalties. That's right, the game WAS played in the House that GA built.

PPHSfan
09-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Are you trying to suggest that Celina won by three touchdowns because of the refs? Are you trying to imply that G.A. had something to do with it? Just curious, how many Celina games have your ever seen? Would you even be able to pick coach Moore out of a crowd? Finally, I didn't say that Celina would be ranked ahead of 99% of the teams in the state. I said they would be ranked ahead of 160 or more teams in 3A...which is higher than RC is probably ranked. Tell me....where would you rank a team in 3a this year that went 21-3 in the past two years, only losing to Daingerfield, Gainesville, and Gilmer?

Titans
09-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Are you getting angry, PP fan?

For a team that went 21-3, I'd say this....

They were over-rated!

Then again, we'll never know now will we? They got beat so early in the playoffs we'll never know if they coulda played with Forney, Everman, Kennedale, LaGrange, Burnet, Jasper, Lindale, Spring Hill, Sinton...and the list goes on and on.

They could be Tarkington!

PPHSfan
09-03-2004, 08:55 AM
I'm not angry at all. I just want to know where you would rank them? They lost one game in 2002 by a missed extra point to Daingerfield. They got beat last year by the D1 State Champions, and a Loaded Gilmer team. It really is a simple question. How many folks do you think would have Royse City ranked higher than Celina this year? And since RC got beat, how is it a "humbling" experience?

kaorder1999
09-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Royse City 28 -- Ferris 0

HighSchool Fan
09-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Titans

For a team that went 21-3, I'd say this....

They were over-rated!

Let's see, Celina wasn't pick to win a state championship or even a district title in the 2 years that they were 3A. Yet, the won 21 out of 24 games as the smallest school in 3a. Celina did win a district championship their first year in 3A.

Titans, you are showing either a lack of knowledge about Celina or a lack of knowledge about football in general. Which is it?

PPHSfan
09-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Most folks on this board will agree that the Data Poll end of seson rankings are about as fair as anybodys. Celina ended the year in 2003 ranked 23rd in the State, Royse City finished ranked 134th. The year before Celina finished ranked 17th, Royse City finished the season ranked 172nd. I don't care how many starters you return from a team ranked 134th in the State.....that does not mean you should beat a team like Celina. I still say getting beat by Celina is not a "humbling" experience. It just makes you join a long list of teams that came up short.

Titans
09-03-2004, 09:23 AM
Humbling? Did I say humbling?

21-3 is phenomenal in 3A...even as the smallest school. However we'll never know if they would have beaten the likes of:

Burnet, Forney, Kennedale, Atlanta, LaGrange, Sinton, Spring Hill, Bridegeport, Abilene Wylie, Midland Greenwood...and the list continues.

We'll never know now will we? I wouldn't put them ahead of 190 schools in 3A. Besides, rankings are subjective anyway.

With that being said...I'm through with Celina.

GO MART PANTHERS!

Titans
09-03-2004, 09:28 AM
RANKINGS?

I know we aren't basing our entire argument on somebody's subjective rankings? Is that possible? I might be, I don't know!

Geez - have I lost my mind?

I don't pay ANY attention to the rankings quite honestly. They are fun to look at and talk about, but it is only a subjective view in my opinion.

I don't believe USC should be #1 in the country and they will lose a game or 2 this year. That, too, is my opinion.

As for TX high school football, the rankings mean nothing thanks to the playoff system. I still wish the NCAA would adopt that system.

HighSchool Fan
09-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Titans

I know we aren't basing our entire argument on somebody's subjective rankings? Is that possible? I might be, I don't know!

So we can't have subjective rankings. You say Celina is over-rated, isn't that a subjective thought. No one said that rankings were 100% percent accurate. But they are usually pretty close.
I guess since subjective rankings don't mean very much, then neither does your subjective thoughts.

PPHSfan
09-03-2004, 10:06 AM
I didn't put them ahead of 190 3a teams. I put them ahead of 160 which would make them a top 40 team in 3a. Royse city is not a top 90 team at this point. Go back and read. My entire argument has been that Royse City losing to Celina should have been expected. Not "humbling" as some other poster pointed out.

Titans
09-03-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
So we can't have subjective rankings. You say Celina is over-rated, isn't that a subjective thought. No one said that rankings were 100% percent accurate. But they are usually pretty close.
I guess since subjective rankings don't mean very much, then neither does your subjective thoughts.

Exactly - my subjective thoughts mean about as much as your subjective thoughts.....NOTHING!

BYW - is that your subjective opinion that rankings are pretty close...LOL!

PPHSfan
09-03-2004, 10:20 AM
It is my opinion that END OF THE SEASON RANKINGS are pretty close. And returning a whole team of starters from a team ranked 134th is nothing to indicate a good season.

Titans
09-03-2004, 10:27 AM
I'll agree with your opinion PP. Yet it seems, although I could be wrong, that Texas Football magazine does that all the time.

PPHSfan
09-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Just to help you do a more in depth pick next time, here are a few stats.

Celina's record against 3a or higher for the past 4 years. 31-3

Royse City's record against 3a or higher for the past 4 years. 9-31

Celina

2003 10-2
2002 11-1
2001 5-0
2000 5-0

Royse City

2003 5-5
2002 1-9
2001 2-8
2000 1-9

Titans
09-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Fantastic stat

Here's a stat for you....

18 returning starters for a 3A team...regardless of record!

any 3A team that has 18+ returning starters playing a 2A team, I'm gonna pick the 3A team. I'll lose my shirt at times, but I'll also win more than I lose too.

Just a thought!

HighSchool Fan
09-03-2004, 12:39 PM
Just because they are returning doesn't mean they are any good. Have you ever heard of Whitesboro? They always have returning players and they are still a horrible team.

Lunch is over shouldn't you be back in class?

PPHSfan
09-03-2004, 12:44 PM
But you need to think outside the box Titan, or you will not be able to win more than you lose.

18 returning starters on a 3a team ranked 134th against a team ranked 23rd in the same year. Celina did not get smaller just because they dropped to 2a, they just raised the bottom number for entry into 3a. Betting on Royse City in this game because of the league they are in, is a very bad idea.

Would you have picked Royse City to beat Newton?

nigelmer
09-03-2004, 01:27 PM
I thought this was a Ferris vs Royse City post??????

GoDeep
09-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by nigelmer
I thought this was a Ferris vs Royse City post??????

Kinda what I was thinkin'. I'll take Ferris by 8.