PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech vs. SMU

KTJ
09-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Mike Leach and Co. will have a doozy with this one. But I still have questions about their defense. It wasn't stable last year, so what makes it so grand this year?

Texas Tech - 42
SMU - 13

PPHSfan
09-01-2004, 10:02 PM
It's not grande, and it never can be with that offensive scheme. But SMU does not have the offense to keep up with the likes of Tech.

TT 51
SMU 21

lobo12
09-01-2004, 10:04 PM
many underclassmen on the d last year and they are now experienced. i expect the d to be better they only lost like 2 starters. by the way anyone know if they are starting cumbie or the jc transfer

Da Mules
09-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Lubbock AJ says Gumby

Chris Hart
09-01-2004, 10:10 PM
I heard that the JC transfer Robert Johnson is no longer with the team. Is this true?

sahen
09-02-2004, 12:55 AM
tech ran the score up every chance they got last year and lets face it, SMU is horrible i saw Baylor beat them last year...im a bears fan but i know my team sucks...so for us to win it means the other team has to be really bad...w/ tech's offense and their history of running the score up i say the final will be around 73-6

IHStangFan
09-02-2004, 06:28 AM
Tech by at LEAST 35 points.

3afan
09-02-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by sahen
tech ran the score up every chance they got last year and lets face it, SMU is horrible i saw Baylor beat them last year...im a bears fan but i know my team sucks...so for us to win it means the other team has to be really bad...w/ tech's offense and their history of running the score up i say the final will be around 73-6

tech does not have a history of "running up the score". their offense is designed to score quickly, and against lesser teams they do. and just because thjey do they're not running up the score. in the games tech scored at least 40 points (8 of them ) they gave up 10, 28, 45, 28, 21, 51, 14 and 43 points ... they have to score alot to win.

GWOOD
09-02-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
I heard that the JC transfer Robert Johnson is no longer with the team. Is this true?

Johnson will be redshirted this year. The A-J reported that "Division 1 has proved to be a bigger jump than Johnson realized." Johnson was really disappointed and didn't practice the day he was told privately that he was being red-shirted. It sounds as though the coaches are "nursing" his hurt feelings and trying to communicate to him that he is a future QB at Tech. Tech people are not saying a lot about the situation so it is a lot of reading between the lines.

GWOOD
09-02-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by lobo12
many underclassmen on the d last year and they are now experienced. i expect the d to be better they only lost like 2 starters. by the way anyone know if they are starting cumbie or the jc transfer

I think I saw that they have 7 returning starters and a couple of sophomores who saw a lot of playing time as freshmen last year. The biggest reason for optimism this year is that last year they brought in a new defensive coordinator who changed a lot of things up. Word is, most teams struggle with his defensive scheme the first year and have a significant turnaround the 2nd year as the players begin to feel more comfortable with the new defense.

BTW, Jr. Cody Hodges will be the QB backup. Cumbie is a senior. I look for Johnson to be the QB in '05 & '06. I think he will be a great one.

lobo12
09-02-2004, 02:12 PM
hope your right because by then johnson should be leading a great offense then maybe the defense can be turned around as well

sahen
09-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
tech does not have a history of "running up the score". their offense is designed to score quickly, and against lesser teams they do. and just because thjey do they're not running up the score. in the games tech scored at least 40 points (8 of them ) they gave up 10, 28, 45, 28, 21, 51, 14 and 43 points ... they have to score alot to win.

i decided i didnt wanna post what i said....but i still think that tech runs teh score up...i'll leave it at that