PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs. North Texas

KTJ
09-01-2004, 09:58 PM
UT wins this one easily. While most alums, and some students for that matter, think Mack is on the hot seat, I think he's perfectly fine.

This is a tune-up before the test next week at Arkie.

Texas 38
North Texas 14

KTJ
09-02-2004, 09:06 AM
oh, and Cedric Benson is an early favorite for the Heisman.

PPHSfan
09-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Texas rolls in this one.

It could get ugly fast.

JasperDog94
09-02-2004, 09:21 AM
When is the game?

intocable_cowboy
09-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Sat at 6pm on pay per view :mad:
AM radio will have to do.

Hook Em

Phil C
09-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Texas kicks a field goal in the last goal in the last three minutes to win 17 - 14 in a hard fought game.

JasperDog94
09-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Texas kicks a field goal in the last goal in the last three minutes to win 17 - 14 in a hard fought game. Ha Ha Ha Ha...that might be a 1st quarter score...:D

PPHSfan
09-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Texas kicks a field goal in the last goal in the last three minutes to win 17 - 14 in a hard fought game.

Are you dislexic?

Didn't you mean 71 - 14?

IHStangFan
09-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Texas wins this EASILY by 40 points. their preseason schedule is always a "lambs to the slaughter" schedule though.

kaorder1999
09-02-2004, 12:06 PM
I still cant get excited about UT football. WHat is there to be excited about? Every year they get great recruits and the hype is there but then what happens...let downs.

IHStangFan
09-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I still cant get excited about UT football. WHat is there to be excited about? Every year they get great recruits and the hype is there but then what happens...let downs. +1 agreed, they ALWAYS start out ranked about 4th or so....and end up getting waxed by OU and usually some unexpected sleeper like Tech or OSU and wind up LUCKY to be in the top 10 at the end of the season. none the less..at the start of each season there is always the "this is our year" hype......is UT REALLY a national champ. contender this year....or is it the same ole crap...a good team who wants SOOO bad to be a GREAT team.....its time to put up or shut up UT.

PPHSfan
09-02-2004, 12:36 PM
LOL,

I wonder how many of the 118 or so Division One college teams would like to win 12 games or more every year. How many games did OU win last year? How many games did Tech, Rice, Baylor, UTEP, Houston, SMU, UNT, TCU, and A&M win last year?

IHStangFan
09-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
LOL,

I wonder how many of the 118 or so Division One college teams would like to win 12 games or more every year. How many games did OU win last year? How many games did Tech, Rice, Baylor, UTEP, Houston, SMU, UNT, TCU, and A&M win last year? BFD.....look at their schedule compared to some other teams North Texas? Rice? Baylor?....not exactly NCAA power houses.... and they STILL cant get it done...if theyre such a great team...why cant they get it done?? in alot of peoples' minds...theyve MORE than had enough chances to get it done...and until they DO...or at least beat OU...they will be a 2nd rate team. just my $.02

PPHSfan
09-02-2004, 12:59 PM
BFD?

Get it done?

What does that mean?

Are you suggesting that anything short of winning the Mythical National Championship is a failure?

What do you do for a living? Are you the best in the world at it? Do they have a trophy for what you do that you have failed to win? Seems Texas HAS won the stupid trophy before, and they will probably win it again, but people like you think they should win it every year, or they are failures. What a joke.

IHStangFan
09-02-2004, 01:09 PM
BFD?

Get it done?

What does that mean?

Are you suggesting that anything short of winning the Mythical National Championship is a failure?

What do you do for a living? Are you the best in the world at it? Do they have a trophy for what you do that you have failed to win? Seems Texas HAS won the stupid trophy before, and they will probably win it again, but people like you think they should win it every year, or they are failures. What a joke. yada yada yada....lighten up Frances....all i'm saying is w/ their recruiting success....and the "we're goin all the way this year" hype at the start of every season...they SHOULD be able to win a championship......there is no doubt they are a good team....they SHOULD be..they have some of the most talented atheletes in the nation......and i do pull for them when they play OU....but come ON man. and i'm damn good at what i do...i have a chest full of metals and ribbons that say so ..and now i make very good money doing it as a civilian :cool:

PPHSfan
09-02-2004, 01:23 PM
The Longhorns have a chest full of Medals too. And they even have a couple of the BIG ones. And you saying put up or shut up, does not sound like I am the one who needs to lighten up. Make up your mind. Are you a Champion calling another Champion mediocre, or are you just another Mack Brown hater?

kaorder1999
09-02-2004, 01:33 PM
UT will never win a championship under Mack Brown. It will never happen. Call me a Mack Brown hater if you want to but they will not win a championship under his leadership. He is a great man, full of class and he represents the University with class but he won't win a championship.

I will never accept anything less then a championship a "success" for the University of Texas. That is not me hating on Texas. It is really a compliment.

For the past few years Forney has been hyped up as "potential" state champions just as Texas has been hyped up as "possible National Champions." After Forney made it to the State Championship and lost to LaGrange in 2000, nothing less then a State Championsip would have satisfied the Forney fans or other HS football fans. That says a lot about the program at Forney High School as well as the Univeristy of Texas.

Professional coaches lose their jobs if they cannot show signs of being able to compete for a superbowl championship. 2 or three losses a season can and will, in most cases, cost them their job if they, their supervisers, dont trust that they are getting the team where it needs to be. Some of these college coaches make just as much money as the pro coaches. And at the same time these college athletes are given tons of money in order to attend the University, just like pro players are paid to play in the pros.

I think its a compliment that people won't accept anything less then a National Championship for UT. Yes...they DO need to win the big one.

hsfootballrules
09-02-2004, 01:48 PM
I guess that is what they said about Tom Osborne and Bobby Bowden??????? excuse me if i misspelled Osborne

JasperDog94
09-02-2004, 02:04 PM
How long did it take those guys to win their first title?

kaorder1999
09-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
How long did it take those guys to win their first title?

what does that have to do with anything?

kaorder1999
09-02-2004, 02:09 PM
sure...if they kept Brown around for 10-12 more years and then he wins a title then good for him. I dont care about the future....all I care about is right now.

JasperDog94
09-02-2004, 02:15 PM
I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but who would you replace Mack with?

Phil C
09-02-2004, 02:16 PM
You never know. It took John Mckay when he was at USC ten years before he won a national championship yet USC stood by him till the good times. It was probably worth the wait for them.

JasperDog94
09-02-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm no big Mack Brown supporter. My biggest concern is if you replace him, who will you get and what are the odds that you'll be better than before? Also, what are the odds that you'll go downhill?

PPHSfan
09-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Give me 12 or more wins a year, a shot at the Mythical Title, and a class act for a coach... over nothing short of a Championship, anyday.

KTJ
09-02-2004, 02:54 PM
It took Osbourne more than 6 years (the amount of time Brown has been at UT) to win a NC at Nebraska. Sure, we all here at UT want the championship and we want it now, but that's not how it works buddy. You think you're the only one upset about it? I think no--I can give you 50,000 other people who hate the fact that we haven't gone BCS bowling, me included.

I don't hate Brown, I just wish he'd get his act together and beat OU and go to a BCS bowl--it doesn't even have to be a NC, just a damn BCS bowl.

And isn't KAOrder that......ahh, nevermind. :D (I'll private if you want to know what I was gonna say.)(Also, I'm still your bud and don't think otherwise! ;))

Anywho, yeah, the grumbles are a plenty down here in Austin. But as long as the big money boosters have their way, Mack is here for the long haul. (Personally, I'd take Spurrier.)

And to IHStangFan, I don't know who you've been watching but there hasn't be a "we're going all the way" mentality at UT for several years. We know better than that. The season can turn on anyone. However, we do have the attitude that "we are going to contend" and that's all you can ask for really. You can't say "we're gonna win it all" cause no one knows that. Also, we haven't lost to OSU in God knows how long and the Tech series is always tough, especially in Lubbock--anyone knows that. And we kinda have to play Baylor, seeing as how they are in the conference and whatnot.
:D

The BCS doesn't use Strength of Schedule anymore, so there is a reason for Brown to keep scheduling teams like New Mexico State, North Texas, and Utah State. We do have one great, awesome series starting next year that I can't wait for---Texas vs. Ohio State!

IHStangFan
09-02-2004, 03:23 PM
The Longhorns have a chest full of Medals too. And they even have a couple of the BIG ones. And you saying put up or shut up, does not sound like I am the one who needs to lighten up. Make up your mind. Are you a Champion calling another Champion mediocre, or are you just another Mack Brown hater? definately not a mack brown hater....quite the contrary....i'm neutral....but he doesnt get paid the big bucks to ALMOST win a national championship each year. are the longhorns at the top of their game...or is there still room for improvement...i.e. a national championship?

JasperDog94
09-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
We do have one great, awesome series starting next year that I can't wait for---Texas vs. Ohio State! REALLY??? Wow, I didn't know that!

KTJ
09-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
definately not a mack brown hater....quite the contrary....i'm neutral....but he doesnt get paid the big bucks to ALMOST win a national championship each year. are the longhorns at the top of their game...or is there still room for improvement...i.e. a national championship?

Yeah, he does get paid the big bucks to ALMOST win the championship. The people that pay his salary are satisfied and love him to death.

And I guarantee, there are over 200 other football programs who feel the same way. It isn't just Texas who feels they are getting the shaft because they hired a great coach who hasn't done anything really--see also Notre Dame, Penn State, and Aggy.

IHStangFan
09-03-2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Yeah, he does get paid the big bucks to ALMOST win the championship. The people that pay his salary are satisfied and love him to death.

And I guarantee, there are over 200 other football programs who feel the same way. It isn't just Texas who feels they are getting the shaft because they hired a great coach who hasn't done anything really--see also Notre Dame, Penn State, and Aggy. WOW you are defensive....again..calm down. and to your "it isnt just Texas getting the shaft" .......valid....KIND OF.....Aggie's head coach hasnt been around at A&M NEAR as long as Brown has been at UT. not to mention it isnt exactly hard to recruit at UT because it IS a good program......again...not knocking UT or Brown at ALL...just wondering if all the hype is actually warrented this year or if its gonna be the same story all over again. you can rest assured that come Oct. 9th?? (cant remember if that is the date or not) i will be pulling for them!! i enjoy watching them do well....what i DONT enjoy is watching them give up 170 yrds on the ground vs other BCS teams. (stats from last year) so in closing...good luck Longhorns....doubt youll need it this week.....but none the less...good luck.

JasperDog94
09-03-2004, 08:23 AM
I look at it this way. If you're in the top 25 and you don't think it's your year, then hang up your pads and go home. Everyone should think it's their year and bust their collective butts to make it happen. If that's your attitude and you give it all you've got, then you're successful. I remember the John Mackovich (sp?) days. I'm in no hurry to remove Mack Brown.

kaorder1999
09-03-2004, 08:32 AM
all these other programs you are mentioning, Penn State, A&M, Notre Dame.....they arent touted as the "Possible National Champions" year in and year out like Texas is.

I never said I was the only one upset. I'd be a fool to think that. But hey...if you Texas fans dont mind losing to OU every year and dont mind coming up short every year then thats great. But dont get so defensive when someone brings up the fact that you cant beat OU and cant win the games that matter because from the way it sounds you are totally satisfied with that and that is fine with me.

Go ahead and PM me with what you were going to say KTJ...

kaorder1999
09-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Give me 12 or more wins a year, a shot at the Mythical Title, and a class act for a coach... over nothing short of a Championship, anyday.

mack brown has never won 12 or more games as a head coach....at least I dont think.....

PPHSfan
09-03-2004, 08:52 AM
Your right KA I misspoke, I meant 10 or more. For some reason I had a brain fart and was thinking of 16 game seasons.:eek:

kaorder1999
09-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Your right KA I misspoke, I meant 10 or more. For some reason I had a brain fart and was thinking of 16 game seasons.:eek:

thats proof that HS football is more important then college football...its always on the brain

PPHSfan
09-03-2004, 09:13 AM
On a side note. Texas has beaten OU four times in a row in the series also. I think it was a stretch in the early 90's. I can't find the overall series record, but I think it is pretty close either way. If anyone can find a nice "red river shootout" history page, please post a link to it.

TMer25
09-03-2004, 09:21 AM
When Peter Gardere was the starting QB at Texas they did win 4 in a row against OU. I believe it was 1989-92.

jason
09-03-2004, 09:35 AM
im gonna be on the unt campus for this game...think ill survive if i wear a UT shirt??

JasperDog94
09-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by jason
im gonna be on the unt campus for this game...think ill survive if i wear a UT shirt?? I would be willing to bet that UT has a very good showing at North Texas. I would say 1/4 to 1/3 of the crowd will be for UT.

jason
09-03-2004, 09:51 AM
the game is in austin...ill just be at a bar at unt watching...

JasperDog94
09-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by jason
the game is in austin...ill just be at a bar at unt watching... :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

KTJ
09-03-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
all these other programs you are mentioning, Penn State, A&M, Notre Dame.....they arent touted as the "Possible National Champions" year in and year out like Texas is.

I never said I was the only one upset. I'd be a fool to think that. But hey...if you Texas fans dont mind losing to OU every year and dont mind coming up short every year then thats great. But dont get so defensive when someone brings up the fact that you cant beat OU and cant win the games that matter because from the way it sounds you are totally satisfied with that and that is fine with me.

Go ahead and PM me with what you were going to say KTJ...

I think if you talk to most alums, you'll see that we aren't satisfied with losing to blow-u and a random no name opponent. In fact, it p*sses us off.

But the fact of the matter is, all we can do is gripe about Brown. We have no position to fire him (and *cough* hire Spurrier). As long as people keep buying tickets, selling out games, and buying longhorn stuff, the big boosters are happy--which, in turn, makes the alumni upset because we all know that Brown isn't going to get us over the next hurdle. I believe one big booster was even quoted as saying that if Brown went' 7-5 this year, he still wouldn't be fired or even on the hot seat.

PPHSfan
09-03-2004, 10:03 AM
I wonder what would happen if UT went undefeated this year?

jason
09-03-2004, 10:04 AM
I wonder what would happen if UT went undefeated this year? they'd prolly be national champs....wow i just woke up from a dream where UT was national champs lol...

KTJ
09-03-2004, 04:16 PM
I wonder what would happen if UT went undefeated this year?

I have us losing to Blow-U and going to a BCS to play either Michigan or, ugh, West Vir-freakin'-ginia.

PPHSfan
09-03-2004, 04:22 PM
I am still hoping that the NCAA steps in and strips OU of all of this seasons wins, when it discovers that all of the football players were using number one pencils on those bubble in tests that clearly called for number two pencils. I am sure this has to be some kind of violation.

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 11:37 AM
Tap Tap Tap.....Is this thing on?

Panther Ross
09-06-2004, 09:42 PM
REALLY??? Wow, I didn't know that!

I can gurantee you that the aggies will be on top of their game in the next 4-5 seasons. I promise you that. Oh yeah let me be the first to congratulate the longhorns picking on the little teams for most of their non conference games.

Sorry jasper dog i clicked on the wrong quote.

KTJ
09-06-2004, 09:45 PM
So you expect us to load up on USC, LSU, Miami, FSU, and Michigan every year for non-conference games. :rolleyes:

give me a break.

And UNT is not a little pony a** team. They've won their conference 3 years in a row.

So you're gonna wait 4-5 years for Aggy to make a comeback, huh? Happy waiting. If I were Aggy, I'd want a winning season ASAP. Then again, I'd never be Aggy--or Sooner.

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 09:46 PM
no problem

Panther Ross
09-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Mack Brown is a great coach............. yeah right are you serious. He did not win a title last season with probably the most talent in the ncaa. They got spanked by a team they should have probably beaten. Oklahoma will dominate them again this season. It is going to get ugly for the longhorns. Will texas be good? yes Will they be a powerhouse no. Texas has a long way to go to be as good as last season. Last season they were a powehouse.

Panther Ross
09-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
So you expect us to load up on USC, LSU, Miami, FSU, and Michigan every year for non-conference games. :rolleyes:

give me a break.

And UNT is not a little pony a** team. They've won their conference 3 years in a row.

So you're gonna wait 4-5 years for Aggy to make a comeback, huh? Happy waiting. If I were Aggy, I'd want a winning season ASAP. Then again, I'd never be Aggy--or Sooner.

No but better teams then rice, north texas, tulsa, and one other i cant think of. Rebuilding can take a while if it were my choice I would want a national title this season is it going to happen no no way. In 4-5 years probably not but they will be beating great teams rebuilding has to be taken one step at a time.

Panther Ross
09-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Mack Brown is a great coach............. yeah right are you serious. He did not win a title last season with probably the most talent in the ncaa. They got spanked by a team they should have probably beaten. Oklahoma will dominate them again this season. It is going to get ugly for the longhorns. Will texas be good? yes Will they be a powerhouse no. Texas has a long way to go to be as good as last season. Last season they were a powehouse.

KTJ
09-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Texas has averaged 2 losses the last 5 years. How does that "get ugly"? How does winning 9-10 games every year get ugly?

Did we have an awesome team last year? Of course we did. Do we have another awesome team this year? Of course we do. And I think being ranked in the top 10 for the last several years.

And no UT didn't have the most talent last year in the NCAA. That went to USC and everyone and their dog knows that. We wouldn't have beat USC, Oklahoma (which we didn't) or LSU.

Panther Ross
09-06-2004, 09:58 PM
REALLY??? Wow, I didn't know that!

I can gurantee you that the aggies will be on top of their game in the next 4-5 seasons. I promise you that. Oh yeah let me be the first to congratulate the longhorns picking on the little teams for most of their non conference games.

JasperDog94
09-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Dude, you did it again...:rolleyes: :D :D

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 10:07 PM
How can you expect us to respect your opinion when you can't even figure out how to use the board?:D

KTJ
09-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Panther Ross
No but better teams then rice, north texas, tulsa, and one other i cant think of. Rebuilding can take a while if it were my choice I would want a national title this season is it going to happen no no way. In 4-5 years probably not but they will be beating great teams rebuilding has to be taken one step at a time.

So why would we beat ourselves senseless with your recommendation of a high quality OOC schedule when we play in the Big 12?

PPHSfan
09-06-2004, 10:35 PM
I agree, why would Texas play a tough out of conference schedule when they have to compete in the big 12?

KTownBalla
09-06-2004, 11:56 PM
UT looked good...but it's to early to tell...