PDA

View Full Version : No. 5 4A vs. No 7 3A this week!

SintonFan
09-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Sinton travels to Gregory-Portland in a highly anticipated showdown of two top teams in region four. Any thoughts on this game?
I'll post my opinion later tonight. Leave the smack talk out of it and keep it civil.:cool:

IHStangFan
09-01-2004, 02:13 PM
GP is of course the bigger school w/ more of a student body to draw from. they are always a decent team. but i think they tend to under-estimate Sinton. i think it will be a real barn burner and i think if Sinton comes out fired up..they can take this one, but it wont be easy.

tap_tx_sinton
09-01-2004, 02:43 PM
I agree with you. They talk about this great D that they have at G-P. Dont forget about the Sinton D . Taft is a better team than what they showed us last friday but we still held then to on 63 yards.
Its going to be a much better game than what i have seen in the post so far.
Hope there is no rain in the area for this one........

Old Green
09-01-2004, 02:51 PM
This should be the game of the week in the Coastal Bend. Both teams are coming off impressive wins in their season opener. From what what I have seen in the scrimmage against GP a couple of weeks back is the overall team speed of GP, especially their defense. They swarm to the ball. Over all defensive speed allowed them to shut down a running play after short yard gains.

Sinton has real good speed with proven QB Ramirez at the Helm and RB Franco. For the Pirates to be successful they will have to pass. That was the only thing I saw suspect in the GP defense was pass defense. :)

sinfan75
09-01-2004, 03:51 PM
I agree. If Sinton has success throwin the ball they'll have a chance to win.

pirate4state
09-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Old Green -- good post! I hope you're right and we can have some success in the passing game. This will be a good test for our young defense. I liked Mitchell's comment in the San Pat today, ' "They will have a game on their hands, and if we win or lose, we'll still learn from it and hopefully get better because of it." ' Looks like we may have some rain :doh:

JettJenkins04
09-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Good luck to both teams, don't know much about G-P but I know that Sinton always has something up their sleeves.

Go Raiders.

SintonFan
09-01-2004, 08:35 PM
oops, was just a little late

SintonFan
09-01-2004, 09:29 PM
This is the entire article on Sinton-GP from the San Pat News:
http://img76.exs.cx/img76/189/Sinton-GP.jpg
Coach Mitchell sounded very humble about a very good GP team. Good luck to my SINTON PIRATES and may the game be injury-free!
More to come at 11:00...:D

SintonFan
09-02-2004, 12:18 AM
This is what I see in this matchup:
Sinton returns 10 offensive starters from a year ago. They basically have the whole line plus their backfield. The line was average last year but the backfield was good. The backfield had Daniel Ramirez(So) and Travis Franco both in starting duties. Ramirez had 1200 yards in the air showing some talent running and passing(The opener was not very good passing IMHO). Franco had 1700 yards on the ground. The line was average size-wise but could show good technique.
Sinton returns six from last years defense.
Their strength last year was the D. They lost many seniors from their D. Who returns are quality, but many underclassmen have to fill big holes. There are some nice returnees, though.
The Sinton defense has to have bulked up this year to compete with the Cueros and GPs to be succesful.
Reguardless, they have nice overall team speed.
GP is loaded throughout their team this year with so many seniors. They have talent to compete with almost any team in the state.
On offense, Connell Davis is a terrific threat by run or catch. He is a true div. 1 prospect. He also has a very talented line to run behind. The line might not be huge but they have three years in Harris' system. They are well coached and are talented with good speed per man. The new QB Jordan Anthony has shown accuracy throwing the ball. GP is NOT know as a passing team. This gives an extra threat to opposing defenses(and headaches to coordinators.) You have to account for Anthony, especially when he rolls out of the pocket. He might not be quite as good as McGee from Burnet but he will burn you if you let him. Don't forget the other backs, it's hard to key on any one
threat. They also have good receivers who can catch and block.
On defense, GP returns almost their whole squad from last years good unit. There is rumor that the twice 30-4A defensive-player-of-the-year will play against Sinton. This guy is a stud and can stuff the run or drop back for an easy pick. He is fast and furious. The line will swarm and the backs will pursue side to side. There are few standouts because they all are good players that would be starters in any team's roster. A very imposing group, no doubt.
The secondary will play top-notch against Sinton because they already have a 75 yard interception return against CC King to it's credit. That showed me something.
A hard-hitting, fast defense that doesn't make mistakes.
Thoughts from last week's games:

Sinton did play a 2A school but Taft(4-6 in 3A) is a huge rivalry. There have been blowouts but it is not the norm in this long series.
Taft is seven miles from Sinton. Sinton won last years game in the fourth quarter 18-6. Sinton won this year 52-0.
GP played CC King(10-3 in 5A last year)
last week and beat them 28-6. Something that hasn't been mentioned is that King had one less week of practice this fall because they opted for "spring" practice. Whether that is significant will be determined for King early on and the Sinton-GP game this week. We shall see.
Prediction:
This game will be close. GP has some advantage on defense and an experienced offense. Sinton has the same on offense but brought in some nice talent on defense.
I'll say this game will be close(Sinton can win this game if they discover the air attack, but then again they aren't that bad:))...
GO PIRATES!!!!!!!
BEAT GREGORY-PORTLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SintonFan
09-03-2004, 12:32 AM
ttt