PDA

View Full Version : Overall I give NBC a C+ on the Olympic Coverage!

Phil C
09-01-2004, 01:23 PM
NBC did give us many hours of good coverage and comentary. But they made several goof ups which cost them an A or a B. Just two examples and others have more but like the softball game (in the preliminaries) with Japan that they didn't finish showing when it went into extra innings and they cut it off just when it was getting to the interesting point when USA was about to score the winning run. And don't forget the semifinal soccer game with Germany when the USA scored a critical goal. Guess where the NBC station was. Yep commercial time. I don't know if they or the sponsors realize it but when you miss a critical point of the game because of commercials the product they are trying to sell gives a bad taste in your mouth when you think about it besides the station. There are other points too that have been mentioned but since some of the coverage was great they were able to get a C+ to me which I think may even be extra generous. What do some of the rest of you think? I hope we can get someone in 2008 that can do as good a job but correct some of NBC's faults. There were some events that were sponsored without interuption of the events so that can't be a good excuse.

3afan
09-01-2004, 02:43 PM
what bugged me was they would show (for example) the Romainian getting her gold medal and playing their national anthem instead of showing Americans in some of the less popular sports.

JasperDog94
09-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Can't they put a small logo in the corner of the screen with the advertiser? That way you don't get interruptions.

bearkatdad
09-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Yes!!!...I agree!! Since NBC is supposedly a USA network, you would think they would at least show more of the events that the USA was still involved in..even if it is some type of 'minor' sport...but overall, I think a C is prob correct..:thinking:

SintonFan
09-01-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
NBC did give us many hours of good coverage and comentary. But they made several goof ups which cost them an A or a B. Just two examples and others have more but like the softball game (in the preliminaries) with Japan that they didn't finish showing when it went into extra innings and they cut it off just when it was getting to the interesting point when USA was about to score the winning run. And don't forget the semifinal soccer game with Germany when the USA scored a critical goal. Guess where the NBC station was. Yep commercial time. I don't know if they or the sponsors realize it but when you miss a critical point of the game because of commercials the product they are trying to sell gives a bad taste in your mouth when you think about it besides the station. There are other points too that have been mentioned but since some of the coverage was great they were able to get a C+ to me which I think may even be extra generous. What do some of the rest of you think? I hope we can get someone in 2008 that can do as good a job but correct some of NBC's faults. There were some events that were sponsored without interuption of the events so that can't be a good excuse.
I agree with your assessment Phil.
Now Bravo on the other hand, earned a A+. This is because the olympics was heads above any of their normal programming.:o

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Get the new MAD magazine and read what they have to say about it. :D