PDA

View Full Version : Gobblers brace for battle with Sealy...

Gobbla2001
09-19-2003, 01:19 AM
Fresh off the press from the Victor-I-A Advocate...

Mark Reeve witnessed something Cuero fans have rarely seen when the Gobblers play Sealy.

The first-year Cuero coach was reviewing the history of the rivalry and watched a tape of the 2000 game where Sealy was leading 21-20 and blocked an extra point attempt in overtime. But the ball bounced off the chest of a Sealy player, who was attempting to catch it in the end zone, and was recovered by a Cuero player for a two-point conversion in a 22-21 victory.

The odd play produced the Gobblers' only victory in nine tries against Sealy.

Cuero (1-1) will attempt to double its win total against the Tigers (3-0) when the teams meet today at 7:30 p.m. at Gobbler Stadium.

"I'm sure it's still a rivalry," Reeve said. "Our kids know them and they've talked about the running back (Emeal Andrus), who they've played against for four years. They know to get to that level, you have to beat the Sealy Tigers."

Cuero gave Reeve his first win at the school when it used a rushing attack that produced 307 yards in last week's 21-19 victory over Rockport-Fulton. Junior Matt Schumacher played the entire game at quarterback and threw only six passes, completing two for 11 yards. "They were taking the pass away so we kept running the football," Reeve said. "We're going to be a little more balanced. We may throw for 150 to 200 yards one week and 50 the next. It just depends. I thought we showed a mental toughness by being able to line up and run the football. That should help our attitude."

Sealy is coming off a 24-20 win over La Grange. Andrus, who was suspended one game, rushed 29 times for 158 yards to bring his season total to 320 yards.

"This game is a good measuring stick for both teams," said Sealy coach Mark Faldyn. "It's a very competitive game and you have big crowds. I've been here 19 years and this game reminds me of a playoff atmosphere."

Faldyn has been impressed by what Reeve has done in his short time at Cuero.

"I've noticed their quickness up front and their quickness in the backfield," Faldyn said. "They've become a big-play team. They're utilizing their talent so well." Reeve would say the same about Sealy, which has a 2-0 record at Gobbler Stadium.

"The thing about Sealy is it does such a great job on special teams," Reeve said. "Its punter (Justin Brantly) pinned Needville twice and the goal line and that led to two scores. Field position will be a big key in a ballgame like this."

NOTES: Sealy superintendent Dale Lechler and principal David Hill are no strangers to the area. Lechler was the head football coach at East Bernard and his son Shane punts for the Oakland Raiders. Hill played football at Cuero under Buster Gilbreth.

BIG19
09-19-2003, 07:41 AM
Best of luck tonight Gobbla. Hope all turns out in your favor and without injuries.

Pudlugger
09-19-2003, 08:11 AM
If Cuero is going to win against Sealy they must stop the Tigers on 3rd and short. The Leps failed in this and Sealy ran off the clock in the second half with three 6 minute drives. With the offense only getting 6 minutes on the field it was impossible to come back from a 21 -8 lead. Sealy accomplished this by running over the Leps defensive line right up the middle for 4 yards a pop, mostly by Andrus with great second effort and yards after contact. Good luck to the Gobblers and hopefully it will be an injury free game. frown

Phil C
09-19-2003, 10:38 AM
I agree and Gobbla if you are going to go to the Sinton - Cuero game maybe we could meet at the fence behind the ticket office at about 7:00 P.M. Sinton 66 may be there too. I will be the old guy wearing the black San Antonio Spurs cap.

Gobbla2001
09-19-2003, 10:44 AM
I'm gunna try my best to make it down that way, buddy... Plus, I want some of those fajitas...

I saw Sinton66 at our La Grange scrimmage this year, but by the time I had gone down by the fence to talk to him and Old Green they had already left...

Good luck this week against OG...

Oh, and Pud, you couldn't be more right about 3rd and short...

BrahmaMom
09-19-2003, 01:41 PM
This is always a great contest, rivalry. Best of luck to both teams. I have sentiment for Cuero and loyalty of a sort For Sealy. Good luck, Justin Brantley!