PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel vs Monterrey Tech

Kool Tarpon 21
08-31-2004, 07:11 PM
Hey everyone. I haven't been on this forum for quiet a while. Just here letting you all know that the Tarpons play Monterrey Tech this Friday and I would like to know you all's opinions. Well, feel free to state your opinion, as long as it's not that harsh, here. Good Luck Tarpons. GO BIG BLUE!!!

Strike Fast
08-31-2004, 08:04 PM
You know they are like a college right? You have never seen grown men like these before, I promise. They hit harder than you have ever felt and may ever feel unless you go onto college. Each of them had a full grown mustache or beard. We played against them back in the 90's and they hurt 3 of our starters. It was a game to forget. We were really beat up after this one. You better bring your A game. Good Luck and come out of this one healthy.

mwynn05
08-31-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Kool Tarpon 21
Hey everyone. I haven't been on this forum for quiet a while. Just here letting you all know that the Tarpons play Monterrey Tech this Friday and I would like to know you all's opinions. Well, feel free to state your opinion, as long as it's not that harsh, here. Good Luck Tarpons. GO BIG BLUE!!! Monterrey as in Monterrey, Mexico?

TXMike
08-31-2004, 08:19 PM
I guess it depends on which team shows up. They do have a HS equivalent team and a small college equivalent team. The college team was in SA this weekend scrimmaging Trinity and the HS team was scrimmaging Carrizo Springs I think.

The HS team came out to Del Rio when I lived there in the 90's and the thing I recall most was that the Del Rio staff took the MT kids into their equipment room and helped outfit them as many of them did not have all the pads they needed. I don't think one of them had a mouthpiece and DR gave them as many as they had but there were still many without them. They may have resolved that problem by now.

Old Green
08-31-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Monterrey as in Monterrey, Mexico?

Yeah. Monterey, Mexico.

I thought I saw a score on them last wwk in the paper. Can't remeber where it was though.

I too have heard that their players are usually older than texas players, but the Tarpons usually prevail over larger Schools. Tarponsshould take them by 2 Tds.

44INAROW
08-31-2004, 08:27 PM
I think Skidmore Tynan played a school from Mexico last week.. maybe it was Monterry??

Strike Fast
08-31-2004, 08:39 PM
These guys seemed pretty well equipped according to drubbing we took. Heck they even had their names on the back of their jerseys. I think a lot of them were related, cause each jersey read "Borrego" as it ran over us.

Strike Fast
08-31-2004, 08:40 PM
Yes, they were from Mexico. Not sure if they have a HS team and a college team, but if they do or did we either saw their college or NFL team.

footballgal
09-01-2004, 10:36 AM
I wanted to share some insight from a poster on another site.

posted 08-30-2004 05:43 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You guys seem to be confused about Monterrey Tech. ITESM is the school and they have a college team and also a High School team (Prepa Tec).

Sharykid05 obviously plays with Trinity University (NCAA DIV III) which is where the Monterrey Tech college team played at last satuday and won. The quality of mexican football would surprise everyone here as you can see by the result of the combined practice which was Monterrey 56 Trinity 28. Furthermore, the same college team starts their season next saturday in Mexico City.

The team that will travel to Port Isabel is the high school team Prepa Tec. Every player in that team is under 19. They have played several valley teams as well as Dallas Jesuit High School in the last 3 years. Last year they defeated Brownsville Hanna (5A) and Falfurrias and lost to Dallas Jesuit and Eagle Pass(5A).

Regards.

LOL, Borrego is their mascot's name. If I am not mistaken I think it means Lamb or is it Mule? I will need to check that out.

I am sure that they are better equipped now. They are even recruiting players from the USA, (the collegiate team) matter fact recently they had a story on a RGV valley paper, that a former Edinburg player who played with Monterrey Tech is playing in the pros this year; I forget which team, maybe the Ravens. And football is becoming very very popular in Mexico. For example, quite a few players from Meixco, have been playing in a Tapps schools like in Brownsville for years now.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-01-2004, 12:45 PM
I saw their game against Brownsville Hanna at Sams Stadium. They're a very good team, and not one to be taken lightly. True, Hanna was an average team at best mainly due to lack of size, but still the game was close, and the Mexico team prevailed over the 5A team. They also did knock out a few of the Brownsville players, but nothing serious. Either wind knocked out, or got their bell rung good and sat out a few plays. But they do hit VERY hard, and they're surprisingly fast.

The Tarpons had BETTER bring their A+++ game if they want to beat the Borregos (I think Borregos = Rams)

The Seawall Defense was top notch last week against Los Fresnos's Shotgun Spread offense, hopefully they can keep that same intensity going. If the offense can get it's act together (especially the passing game), PI is going to be one helluva team.

IMHO, I think Carr Grenier (or is it Granier) should be the starting QB, and have Lando as WR to give Carr a nice big target to throw to. (like Gilbert Verduzco from 1994 season) It did take Coach Stump a couple of weeks last season to finally put the best product possible on the field by moving "The Missile" to RB, so maybe the same thing will happen here with the QB position?

footballgal
09-01-2004, 06:30 PM
That's what I am hoping for that maybe the 'best product' as you put it, is still in the making before district. Not that the current is bad, just that one always strives to get better with every week.

and yeah you got the spelling right the first time; Carr Grenier and I also agree with Lando at WR and Carr Grenier at QB, for this year.

CS_WILDCATS
09-02-2004, 09:33 AM
If the tarpons play the same team we scrimmaged a couple of weeks back it should be an easy win for PI.

Pudlugger
09-02-2004, 09:59 AM
You better hope it isn't the "college" team. I saw these guys last weekend at Trinity. They are very big and very physical and play a different brand of football...let's say they play dirty. In the 2 quarter game situation the score was 0-0 when towards the end the coach at Trinity called off the scrimmage after 9 fights broke out. The MT players were spitting on the Trinity players, punching and going after the Qb. Some of the Trinity boys took offense and cleaned some of the MT clocks. As for beating the Tigers in the earlier practice sesssions..no big deal as they had quick whistles and it wasn't at all a real game situation. In a game like setting it was pretty much even. Trinity is looking very good this early in the season and they held their own against this semi-pro team from Montery (they must all be related to some guy named Coca Cola as that was on every MT jersey LOL). Bottom line this Monterrey Tech team that played Trinity would beat any 3A team 70-0 and probably injure a lot of guys along the way. In fact they probably would beat most 5A teams. If the HS team is at all proportunately as tough, PI will have themselves a real game.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-02-2004, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure which Borregos team is coming into Port Isabel. I'm confused now. :confused:

And footballgal, from what I understand coach Stump has some sort of complex when it comes to seniority. He'll start those that have been in the program longer. I can understand the logic behind that, but that in itself doesn't necessarily mean you're putting the best possible product out there on the field.

2 examples....

1. QB - Considering how well Carr Grenier did on the JV team last season, I would have given him the starting job at QB over Lando. Sure Lando can throw the ball and is tall, but that height would be more advantageous if it was utilized at WR. (hint hint another Gilbert Verduzco, hint hint) Also, Lando has always been a backup QB, never a starter. Carr knows what it's like to be a starting QB on the JV team last year, and that would easily carry over onto the varsity team.

2. RB - It was mentioned on the RGV forum about a soph. back (Ralph) that was apparently VERY fast, and very good, also related to "Nitro" Nieto. From what I saw in the Los Fresnos game, "Nitro" looked uncomfortable being the feature back. He's always been the FB the last 2 years (Joey Loera, Missile Iracheta) and I honestly believe Nieto is a TRUE FB, not a feature RB. I say give the Soph. RB a chance to shine and prove he is as good as advertised, and give Frankie Herrera a break from FB. We don't need to risk losing Frankie to injury with him playing FB on top of playing middle linebacker. Think of it this way.....Stump gave "Nitro" a chance when he was a Soph., why not give this kid the same chance "Nitro" got?

footballgal
09-02-2004, 03:55 PM
That's what I am talking about !

I totally agree with what you're saying. But we will have to wait and see if Stump makes any changes. I also agree with Nitro staying at the fullback position. Not that he can't handle the feature back position, cuz he did very well Friday, but I agree that he would do even better at FB.

Hey I saw you at the game, but it was so crowded that I didn't even get to say hi to you. So Hey! Man I had never seen people run out of parking space before! It was packed!

TXMike
09-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Again, they may not be doing this now, but back in the mid 90's in Del Rio, I asked one MT player in passing how old he was and he said 20. That leads me to believe they may move some players from the upper division team to the lower division team "as needed." Maybe they thought they needed that to play a 5A school.

footballgal
09-03-2004, 10:13 AM
well let ya know after the game, see who showed up.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Good luck and much love to the Tarpons tonight! Kick some butt!!!! I'll be in Austin, TX physically, but i'll be there at the game in spirit.

I'll keep in touch with friends to get score updates.

footballgal
09-04-2004, 10:57 AM
After over an of hour of delay due to power outage, that a
affected all stadium lights and surrounding neighborhood. Tarpons win with a score of 32-18. Game did not end until 11:20 or so! :eek:

SintonFan
09-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Congratulations Tarpons!
You made barrachos out of the borregos!

footballgal
09-04-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Congratulations Tarpons!
You made barrachos out of the borregos!

What is a barracho? lol

Oh and I found out by the helmets that a Borrego is a Ram, there uniforms were decent and they all had their last name on the back of the jerseys, they had alot of players & they had only like 70-80 or so of their fans make the *4 hour drive. They looked like Hondo's team last year size and all.

*edited, just for crow22- must be a geography teacher.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/sports_more.php?id=60944_0_9_0_C

Crow22
09-04-2004, 10:52 PM
It's not an 8 hour drive....Get a map...

Ray_BearKat
09-05-2004, 12:09 AM
I'd give it about 4 1/2 hours from Monterrey to Port Isabel with bridge waits and traffic...if you take the toll road.

Pudlugger
09-05-2004, 12:14 AM
A borracho is a drunk.

Ray_BearKat
09-05-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
A borracho is a drunk.

I think she was teasing since he typed bArracho instead of bOrracho...but I could be wrong?

footballgal
09-05-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Crow22
It's not an 8 hour drive....Get a map...

dang, so hostile :rolleyes:

That's what I was told, but I just remembered that the 8 hours was from elsewhere.

ahh... just saw that his from Altair as in Rice Altair?, the loss from last season must still hurt. :hand:

footballgal
09-05-2004, 12:47 AM
nm

Crow22
09-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Actually I haven't lived at Rice in 3 years. Just never changed my profile.