PDA

View Full Version : BCS Poll

J-town Hustler
08-30-2004, 05:11 PM
What do you think about the new ranking system of the BCS?

jason
08-30-2004, 05:22 PM
its the bcs...and it will never work...

westTXbest
08-30-2004, 05:44 PM
They need to do it high school football style, playoffs!!

JasperDog94
08-31-2004, 09:01 AM
I was listening to Sportscenter last night and the president of the NCAA says that as long as he's there, we'll never have a playoff system.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ej2525
08-31-2004, 09:17 AM
Of course there will not be a playoff system like in I-AA. These BCS Bowls games & all other bowl games for that matter bring in too much $$$$ for the NCAA. If you go to the playoff system then you have or could eliminate the hype and endorsements ($$$) involved with these bowl games. You could lose sponsors who have repeatedly spent millions over the years to sponsor the "bigger" games.

JasperDog94
08-31-2004, 09:21 AM
But why can't you still have the sponsors for the playoff games? You can still call the playoff games the "whatever" bowl, right?

ej2525
08-31-2004, 09:40 AM
Don't forget that most bowl games reserve the right to invite certain teams to their bowl games to draw attendance & revenue. Example: last year in the Aloha Bowl guess who got invited to that bowl game. Univ. of Hawaii vs. Univ. of Houston. Politics play into who goes where unless it is a BCS game which assigns certain teams to certain games. (Sort of)

Also, guess who was invited to the Fort Worth Bowl last year? You got it - TCU.

What sponsor is going to want to spend tons of money with out having an idea of who is going to be playing in your sponsored game? Just my .02 cents.

Phil C
08-31-2004, 01:27 PM
And don't forget teams like Notre Dame. Usually they do very well but I have seen them invited to bowl games with a losing record because it was known that they would bring a big crowd to the game but yet teams that had much better records were not invited due to the money rather than the worthiness.

JasperDog94
08-31-2004, 01:37 PM
See, that's the beauty of a playoff system. Take the top 16 teams and you'll have 16 popular teams that will sell tickets. You can still have other bowl games that will generate money. It can be done, they just don't want to.:mad: :rolleyes: