PDA

View Full Version : West Orange-Stark could be 0-2

Matthew328
08-30-2004, 01:04 PM
after this week...Nederland looks real strong....could WOS rebound and be like Atlanta was last year??

JasperDog94
08-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Matthew, they could be 0-3 because Bay City is their opponent following a tough Nederland crew. I know that West Orange has a good record against them, but that's a brutal schedule. Having said that, barring injury, WOS will be there come playoff time and will be ready for a run at the state title.

Matthew328
08-30-2004, 01:17 PM
Very true....man that schedule is BRUTAL

shankbear
08-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Remember 1986....Jasper beat WO-S in the regular season and WO-S beat them in the playoffs. WO-S won the State Championship that year. The next year WO-S only beat Jasper 3-0 and went on to win the State Championship. I hope both teams goes far. Even Championships.

JasperDog94
08-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Welcome to the board shankbear!!!:)

Rabbit'93
08-30-2004, 02:45 PM
It's not how you start, but how you finish.

GUNHO
08-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Matthew, they could be 0-3 because Bay City is their opponent following a tough Nederland crew. I know that West Orange has a good record against them, but that's a brutal schedule. Having said that, barring injury, WOS will be there come playoff time and will be ready for a run at the state title.

Well said Jd94.We all knew these first three games were going to be a killer.0-3 was always a possibility and if that plays out lets hope thats it for the lost column.

Junkyard
08-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Newton wont be a push over either.

D. R. Hooks
08-30-2004, 03:35 PM
After Nederland and Bay City, WOS has 2 roads games: at Newton and at Bmt Central. WOS used to play Newton for the first game every year when WOS was 4A and Newton was 3A.

Historically, WOS usually doesn't put up many point before district, and WOS usually wins the second half....We have a ways to go this year.....a 2-3 record is the mostly likely scenario before district play.

Isn't Newton ranked around #1 this year in 2A?

http://www.flickingerweather.com/wos.JPG

JasperDog94
08-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Some people have Newton as #2.

Supertilley
08-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Beaumont Central a 4a playoff team last years wraps up the wos preseason. So in all logic wos could be 0-5 before seeing a win.

D. R. Hooks
08-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Beaumont Central a 4a playoff team last years wraps up the wos preseason. So in all logic wos could be 0-5 before seeing a win.

You're going to make me vomit with posts like that! It's possible ( 0-5) , but I don't even want to think it. How about 1-4 ( Newton) at worst?

Supertilley
08-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Central has beaten us the last 2 years. But I agree with you about Newton. I have seen stranger things however.

Hupernikomen
08-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by D. R. Hooks
You're going to make me vomit with posts like that! It's possible ( 0-5) , but I don't even want to think it. How about 1-4 ( Newton) at worst?

Don't get your hopes too far down..last years first 5 were just as tough and WOS did fine then and afterwards. Couple of squeakers is all the lost last year. Give the kids a couple more weeks to get in their total package on both sides of the ball and all will be well. I expect WOS to give a good showing friday night.

GS#17
08-30-2004, 05:59 PM
SuperT, actually Central beat us last year, but we beat them in 02 (17-7), 01 (35-21), and 00 (22-7). Historically, we've done pretty well against Central, but they are no pushovers.

Bobcatfan4life
08-30-2004, 06:28 PM
How did the game go the last time WO-S played Newton?

GS#17
08-30-2004, 08:42 PM
We last played Newton in 99, and we beat them 18-0.

Backwoods
08-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Gee D.R. things must be looking bad if you think that the only team you might beat before district is a poor little 2A team. Maybe next time around you should schedule High Island and Sabine Pass.:D

GS#17
08-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Newton's a good team and one that we all respect. We couldn't schedule some local 4A teams, but Barbay was willing to step up to the plate again. He came to play us in 88, right after we won back-to-back 4A state titles, and Newton gave us a great effort, despite being decided underdogs.

As for Sabine Pass and High Island, little cypress already had them booked. ;)

D. R. Hooks
08-31-2004, 01:26 AM
Gee D.R. things must be looking bad if you think that the only team you might beat before district is a poor little 2A team. Maybe next time around you should schedule High Island and Sabine Pass.

We'll be okay!

Backwoods
08-31-2004, 09:19 AM
OK guys, you're great. We have a lot of respect for you. That's why we're playing. Schedule the best, then play the rest. Have a great year and make a lot of noise in 3A. And I loved your line about lc-m. Notice I used small letters too.:D

JasperDog94
08-31-2004, 09:22 AM
Uh oh. It looks like WOS is rubbing off on some of our other east texas teams...:eek: :p

ej2525
08-31-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by GS#17
Newton's a good team and one that we all respect. We couldn't schedule some local 4A teams, but Barbay was willing to step up to the plate again. He came to play us in 88, right after we won back-to-back 4A state titles, and Newton gave us a great effort, despite being decided underdogs.

As for Sabine Pass and High Island, little cypress already had them booked. ;)

They must be playing Sabine Pass's flag football team because I don't think they even have a team any more if I am not mistaken. For that matter... is the school still open??

PPHSfan
08-31-2004, 09:46 AM
ej

you better watch out for low flying aircraft.

I think that one went right over your head.:D

ej2525
08-31-2004, 10:06 AM
PPHS... I knew exactly what they were saying about m-lc cause I am from Bridge City just across Cow Bayou from WO-S. I know the put downs and jokes about m-lc these guys make. I find it quite humerous because when I was still in HS, m-lc were our biggest rivals when we were still in 4A.

I was just curious if the Sharks of Sabine Pass were even still in existence.

Backwoods
08-31-2004, 01:47 PM
Shucks Dog94, it's not that they're rubbing off on us. It's just nice to see some WOS folks that can make decent posts. We pulled for you Friday. That probably is why you won. That and some good players.:D :D :D

Supertilley
08-31-2004, 06:26 PM
Sabine Pass is open and has a football team. We were banned from UIL in football. Enrollment was very low at the time. That was 15 years ago. The ban will be lifted in 2006 and sabine pass will be in burkeville's district.

Supertilley
08-31-2004, 06:27 PM
by the way sabine pass is pretty tuff. The enrollment tripled once Memorial H.S. opened. So the have what is left of the S.F.A. kids.

Backwoods
08-31-2004, 07:47 PM
LOL. Those boys in Northern Newton County can be tough.:D

GS#17
08-31-2004, 09:03 PM
http://www.panews.com/articles/2004/08/31/sports/03news.txt (PA News article)

Sabine Pass comes up short
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Dave Rogers - The News staff writer Posted: 08/29/04 - 01:23:46 am CDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SABINE PASS - The kickoff returner bounced up off the ground after the tackle, stood at military attention, and snapped off a big salute to the crowd.

Another time, a defensive back made the tackle, turned toward the press box and pulled his sweaty jersey out, so the public address announcer could easily see his number and correctly announce his name.

Never mind that the kickoff returner had gained just five yards, or that the DB's tackle came after the other guys had gained 25 yards on the play.

The game's the thing in Sabine Pass and Friday night a purple-clad capacity crowd filled the 500-seat stadium to see the Sharks open their season against Houston's Westbury Christian.

The crowd almost got to see a win by the Sharks, who seemed overmatched at first before putting up a stout show for most of the final three quarters and ultimately losing, 30-14.

"We're just a young football team," first-year coach Paul Starkie said. "They made some young mistakes. We'll correct them."

Westbury Christian scored three quick touchdowns in the first quarter as three different running backs showed they had too much speed for the Sharks.

A wipeout seemed in order.

But then the Sharks scored their first touchdown of the season on a seven-yard run by junior Ian Allison and proceeded to hold the Wildcats to 10 total yards and no first downs in the second and third periods and Sabine Pass' Donny Delatte scored on a 20-yard run in the third quarter.

"The game started off all right," a Westbury Christian coach said when it was over, "but then it got way too interesting at the end."

Delatte had 111 yards rushing on 28 carries to lead the Sharks.

But he came up lame on his third unsuccessful try to punch it in from the five-yard line early in the fourth quarter. When quarterback Casey Carlos' fourth-down pass fell incomplete, the Sharks ended up getting no points from David Olson's 85-yard interception return.

It was almost as much of a bubble-burster for Sabine Pass as was Kevin Lomax' 76-yard kickoff return for a Westbury Christian touchdown immediately following Allison's score.

"It was a tough loss for us," Starkie said. "We kind of got back into it when we scored the first one and Allison got the two-point play. Then we gave up the kickoff return. That hurt.

"Then we intercepted a pass and took it back to the five, and didn't put it in. That hurt us."

The constant pounding from the bigger Shark players appeared to take a toll on the Wildcats after the first quarter, contributing to three lost fumbles recovered by Sharks Olson, Ryan Harris and Eric Kile, the last on an onsides kickoff after Delatte's third-quarter TD.

But the Sharks lost team leader J.T. Coleman, their 320-pound senior tackle, to a third-quarter knee injury, and 260-pounder Gary Ball was ejected midway through the final period, and the Shark defense ran out of gas at the end.

Lomax, who would finish with 125 yards rushing on 10 carries to go with his big kickoff return, scored his third TD of the game on a 23-yard run with 3:17 left.

The Wildcats finished with 297 rushing yards on 31 tries and hit 1 of 7 passes for 29 yards. Sabine Pass rushed 53 times for 134 yards and Carlos was 0 for 6, with four passes dropped.

"We've got to get into the weightroom," Starkie said. "They haven't been lifting weights here.

"When coach (Stan) Caffey took over there (at Westbury Christian) last year, they were a very weak team. He's had them in the weight room. We're going to do that here."