PDA

View Full Version : USA sets new total Olympic Medal Record!

Phil C
08-29-2004, 07:37 PM
I forgot to mention that. Our total medals at 103 breaks the old record we set at LA (I think) in 1984 at 101 where the Russians did not compete. A splendid job by our athletes - even those that didn't get a medal. Good conduct too. Way to go USA!

CHS_DT#75
08-29-2004, 11:44 PM
i think the record was 214 medals... an that was 100 years ago..... 1904.. i could be wrong but i dont think so...

Phil C
08-30-2004, 02:19 PM
You are right CHS. In fact there were other years that the USA had more medals. It was 1904 and they were held in St. Louis. Prior to 1920 Olympics most of the athletes were from the host Country because nearly every time the host country won the olympics. There have been 26 olympics beginning with 1896 with several cancelled due to wars. The USA has won 13 of them and came in second in 9 of them and third in 3 and we boycotted one in 1980. We let politics affect us in 1980 when we boycotted the Russian Olympics by order of President Carter who lost the election later that year not that this had anything to do with it. The Russians also used politics and boycotted the LA Olympics in 1984. Both Countries let politics interfear with the olympics and did not learn from history because in the time of ancient Greece wars were stopped temporarily for several weeks to have the olympics which was not done in the 1900s and twice was politics. It was done before but these were two world powers who should have been a good example.
It can also be noted that the former USSR won the olympics several times but they had some of their good athletes from occupied countries such as Lithuania.
Overall a good record for the USA. Competition should be rough in 2008 in China and you can bet the Chinese will spend the next few years to completely prepare for the olympics since they are hosting and will work hard to dominate everything they can. I wouldn't be surprised if they hire some USA coaches to help them prepare for the track and field events.