PDA

View Full Version : Cuero - La Grange

Pudlugger
08-28-2004, 10:28 PM
This will be the Leps first game and they will be facing a loaded Gobbler team. The Leps return 7 defensive starters from a tough unit in 2003. The offense will be more run oriented this season with more speed in the backfield. The game will hinge on two things: 1) who controls the line of scrimmage and 2) who makes the fewest mistakes i.e. penalties and turnovers. The Leps have had three good scrimmages to figure things out but the Gobblers are coming off a blowout win over West Oso CC.
Cuero has a long tradition of winning over the years but has been coming back from a relative drought in that department the past few seasons. This year they look like they have the all around winning team which upholds this towns tradition well. The Leps have been in 18 playoff games in the past 5 seasons and have been consistantly strong in mid season and post district play. The Leps have not had success in their first games the past 4 years losing to Bay City 2000, 2001 and Yoakum 2002, 2003. They have not lost in their second game in 6 years so if their extra scrimmage this season in week 0 gets that bug out of their system, maybe they will show up and surprise some folks in Cuero. :)

footballgal
08-28-2004, 10:43 PM
ooooo:thinking:, this should be a very interesting game .

Old Green
08-28-2004, 10:50 PM
It should be a good game between these two teams from south Central Texas. Both teams carry a lot of tradition and pride.

Your analysis of the game is right Pudlugger. Who controls the line of scrimmage will win.
This past week the Gobblers used 5 different running backe with Dewone Williams and Larvell Roy doing the brunt of the carries.

Cuero's biggest strength is it's defense. Size,speed, strength and depth is it's strong suit.
The Gobblers have abundant speed in their Linbacker corp and defensive backs abundant.

Gobbla2001
08-28-2004, 10:50 PM
Gunna be a very good game, can't wait...

BrahmaMom
08-29-2004, 08:14 AM
I have some sentiment for both teams. Should be a great game. Good luck to both teams and may there be no injuries.

Old Green
08-29-2004, 09:06 AM
Thanks for thw well wishes BrahmaMom. Best wishes to Bellville also

Pudlugger
08-29-2004, 07:45 PM
Right now you have to give this game to Cuero. They are loaded with talent coming off a big blowout win in their debut last friday. The Leps are smaller and going into their first game this season. They have a new Qb and a new offense and mostly a new O Line. It will be David versus Goliath Friday night. I hope my Leps don't listen to the hype but just go out there and play their hearts out. Cuero is so good and so balanced in every position that it will take a miracle for my little Leps to win. But miracles happen, especially in HS 3A football, so GO LEPS!!!:D

Gobbla2001
08-29-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Right now you have to give this game to Cuero. They are loaded with talent coming off a big blowout win in their debut last friday. The Leps are smaller and going into their first game this season. They have a new Qb and a new offense and mostly a new O Line. It will be David versus Goliath Friday night. I hope my Leps don't listen to the hype but just go out there and play their hearts out. Cuero is so good and so balanced in every position that it will take a miracle for my little Leps to win. But miracles happen, especially in HS 3A football, so GO LEPS!!!:D

La Grange is a worthy opponent... Cuero shouldn't take this game lightly, Pud, cuz your guys would bite us pretty good...

Chopblock
08-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Cuero and 10pts

crabman
08-29-2004, 10:19 PM
I hope it does get down to line play. Our offensive line averages 294 across the front. Four of our six penalties this last week were for holding only it wasn't holding. Spencer and Sierra (390 lbs and 340 lbs) flipped their guys over backward and drove them into the ground. The referees swore the only way they could do that was to hold them. When you bench 360 and squat 800 you tend to do that to people.
Our biggest weapon will continue to be our QB. Strong arm and a 4.53 40. 5 running backs. 8 receivers. A smooth dozen DB's. Cuero is in the best physical shape I have ever seen. That plus the depth will get us deep into the fourth quarter with fresh legs.
LaGrange always seems to put the right athletes in the right spots but not until game 3 or 4. If Velastro gets it together early this year, this could be a good one.

J-town Hustler
08-29-2004, 10:30 PM
I want to go to the game.

crabman
08-29-2004, 10:34 PM
I-10 west to Schulenburg. North 15 miles. Like Nike. Just do it.

J-town Hustler
08-29-2004, 10:37 PM
If I didn't have to be at the PNG game I'd be there, best of luck to both teams.

scotty
08-30-2004, 07:10 AM
This should be a good match-up, but I believe that Cuero has more athletes and size that they have in La Grange. The two coaches involved Mark Reeves and Tony Valastro are two of the best 3A coaches in the state. But again I think that Cuero has just too much talent. Take notice when they take the field at their size and numbers. That has always impressed me, as there is usually a wall of green.
La Grange will still have that small-but-quick defense as around seven from last year are back. Remember that bunch held Marlin to only four first downs in the playoffs last year.
Again I have all the respect in the world for Valastro and his staff, but I just believe that Cuero with their size and speed is going to be real hard to handle.

Pudlugger
08-30-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by crabman
I-10 west to Schulenburg. North 15 miles. Like Nike. Just do it.

The game's in Cuero not La Grange so don't go North at schulenburg, go South to Hallettesville than go West on 90 and South on 77A to Cuero.

44INAROW
08-30-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
The game's in Cuero not La Grange so don't go North at schulenburg, go South to Hallettesville than go West on 90 and South on 90A to Cuero.

Crabman was up past his bedtime and got confused lol lol just kidding neighbor

CheerMom
08-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Did I read some threads back that the LG QB was hurt in an accident or did I misread it?

crabman
08-30-2004, 10:30 AM
My bad on the game location.

On the quarterback situation at LaGrange, one of the LG posters now lives in Kansas. It was a quarterback in Kansas that got hurt, I believe. I had to read the post a couple of times to understand it.

raider red 2000
08-30-2004, 01:53 PM
does anyone know what type of offense and defense that LG runs. It appears that Cuero will have a good O and D. i am not really sure how LG will match up. I would suggest trying to confuse Cuero with motion or different sets. good luck to both teams

Gobbla2001
08-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
Did I read some threads back that the LG QB was hurt in an accident or did I misread it?

I asked Old Green the same thing at the game Friday ha...

Gobbla2001
08-30-2004, 07:22 PM
Kinda thought about the game and the Gobblers a little at lunch today...

Got back into the shop after lunch and had the radio on a rock station...

What's the first song they play?

La Grange - ZZTop

Pudlugger
08-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Lepfan moved to Kansas and was referring to a local boy who was injured. LG is healthy.

LGHernandez#5
08-30-2004, 07:34 PM
I think this will be a big game. Me personally, i can not wait.:D

Pudlugger
08-31-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
does anyone know what type of offense and defense that LG runs. It appears that Cuero will have a good O and D. i am not really sure how LG will match up. I would suggest trying to confuse Cuero with motion or different sets. good luck to both teams

La Grange runs the ball. They do not try to trick the defenders , preferring to run up the middle or around the corners with the option. They use several sets including the wing t, I formation and Veer. When the linebackers blitz they will throw the ball over the middle or in the flat to burn them. Play option passing is another part of their option offense. They are very fast this year and although the O-Line is young they have good size and quickness there as well. This is an offense that can make the big plays and should put up some points on the board. The mainstay of the Lep game will be as always the defense. With7 returning starters and some promising new players they should be alright. Granted the O line in Cuero is huge and it will be a challenge for the smaller Lep defenders to hold the line of scrimmage, I think many will be surprised at how well they do. Small quick Leopard defensive lineman have been giving fits to big offensive lineman for as long as Coach V has been at the helm. It defies conventional wisdom, but what the heck, it works. I think this game will turn on how well the Leps swarm to the football and wrap up the ballcarrier. It will also turn on mistakes, penalties and turnovers. Since the Gobblers have a game under their belt already they will have an advantage in that department. The Leps need to play with confidence and poise Friday and take the game to the Gobblers. It should prove to be a spirited matchup with Cuero being favored by two tds but don't take those Leps lightly. Here's to a clean injury free game. Go Leps!:D

Pudlugger
08-31-2004, 05:57 PM
I told you mine, now you tell me yours!:D

Gobbla2001
08-31-2004, 06:11 PM
First off, Latrael Cooper injury wasn't as bad as expected, he had no surgery and will be playing Friday Night...

Okay, just kidding (but we all wish)...

Nah... From what I saw Friday we'll be looking great at RB...

Our backs are hitting the holes fast and scooting and our OL are doing a heckuva job blocking...

I didn't get to see a lot of deep pass attempts due to the wind of the gulf-coast, but I believe you guys will see some air-ball out of Cuero Friday night... There is really no one receiver to look out for due to eight of them who can jump, catch and run very well...

Our defense is really doing great, these kids are flying to the ball and doing what it takes to get to the runner etc...

The secondary is very fast...

We are also pretty deep all around with quality players to fill psotitions when rest etc... is needed...

Our special teams look real good. The kick-off team, who kicked off about 9 times last Friday night, did really well on coverage... Our kick-off return team, though we only saw 'em once, had an awesome return, but it was called back due to a hold or illegal block or something...

I expect La Grange to come out ready to play... You can say Cuero has the advantage with a game under their belt, yet, without one under their belt, La Grange is ready to GET one under their belt and they want it to be a W...

I saw La Grange when we scrimmaged them last year and they play smash-mouth football... Those little dump-off passes to FB's and TE's up the middle are about as fancy as I've seen them get, but it works...

We're going to have to hit hard and run fast against La Grange and I think we can do it...

Let's hope for no injuries...

Pudlugger
08-31-2004, 06:16 PM
Yeah, that's about it Gobbla. Two good teams with Cuero looking very deep and strong in all slots and La Grange untested going into Friday's game. Good luck and let's have an injury free clean game.:)

Pudlugger
09-02-2004, 09:42 AM
I hope to catch at least the first half of the frosh and second half of the jv today(have to attend a meeting at church-arghhh). The Lep frosh looks goooood! They are very big up front and have some real talent in the skill positions. I predict they will be the best freshman class in many years in LG. There are many of them too-over 30 guys. The jv will be smaller in numbers as players move back and forth from varsity in the early season. They have good size as well and some excellent talent especially at qb and tailback. I expect them to win most of their games this season. Cuero will be a good test for these two teams tonight and will give us a peek into these two schools' future. Good luck Leps!:D

Old Green
09-02-2004, 09:57 AM
I'm planning on attending the Fish and Jv games also Pudlugger. Cuero's freshman have ample size and speed. This is a bunch that has only lost once since the 7th grade . You will notice some of the names of the kids . There's 32 of them alternating throughout a game.

On the Jv there are 45 players. The top six that are sophs were moved to varsity and are starters. But the cupboards are not bare. The JV is actually just as big as the Varsity . They are a little more run oriented than the Freshman but get the job done.

Here's to a good game between these tow teams.:)

44INAROW
09-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Amen to the good luck and no injuries either. See you there OG..

Gobbla2001
09-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
I'm planning on attending the Fish and Jv games also Pudlugger. Cuero's freshman have ample size and speed. This is a bunch that has only lost once since the 7th grade . You will notice some of the names of the kids . There's 32 of them alternating throughout a game.

On the Jv there are 45 players. The top six that are sophs were moved to varsity and are starters. But the cupboards are not bare. The JV is actually just as big as the Varsity . They are a little more run oriented than the Freshman but get the job done.

Here's to a good game between these tow teams.:)

Hey, OG, give my cell a ring, I may be able to see the fish and jv today...

Pudlugger
09-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Well I'll be heading on down to Cuero shortly to watch the 2004 Leps take on a big, fast and physical Gobbler team tonight. The jv game was great. Both teams had size and speed. The difference was the kicking game: Cuero had a field goal kicker and LG did not and the score was 9-8 Cuero. Tonight the game will boil down to which team executes the best, makes the fewest mistakes and capitalizes on the other teams turnovers. I think if the Leps can stay close in this one they might pull off an upset. Go Leps beat Cuero!!! :D

SintonFan
09-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Good luck to both teams!:)
I'll take Cuero in this game by 14. Sorry Pudlugger...