PDA

View Full Version : A couple of fearless predictions!

Old Cardinal
08-28-2004, 08:10 PM
I am quite impressed with two very underated 4A teams--Dayton and Nederland! Therefore, I will pick Nederland over WO-S by 10 points. While at it, I will pick PN-G by one point over Jasper. Now that is not to say anything bad about our 3A great rated teams; it's just to say that these two Golden Triangle 4As are extra rank this year! Nederland has a very stout and fast team. Dan Hooks did well this year in scheduling the very best opponents available within driving distance. The Jasper vs Indians is really a tossup-- both are loaded with superior athletes. I am making my brash prediction on PN-G winning on the fact that it looked like the coaching of the Jasper Bulldogs did not have them quite "in prime condition" for the start of the season. I don't think they will be quite ready for a scrappy PN-G on the conditioning comparison and thats the only factor that makes me give the PNG Indians the slight nod.

Dan Hooks is a smart ole fellow, he is playing his team against the best to get the final results he seeks, when the postseason comes.

spiveyrat
08-30-2004, 11:32 AM
IF Jasper can hold on to the ball, I'll say Jasper by 7...er... 6 regardless of conditioning concerns.

Reveille
08-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
IF Jasper can hold on to the ball, I'll say Jasper by 7...er... 6 regardless of conditioning concerns.

Smart move spiveyrat. I wouldn't count on an PAT either. :D

3afan
08-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
... it's just to say that these two Golden Triangle 4As are extra rank this year! ...

uh, you don't mean that, do you OC !!?!?! :D

smokey
08-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Old Cardinal-- that is an idiotic statement that the Jasper coaches did not have their team in prime condition to start the season. They beat the#1 team in the state on the road! Get a clue! Have you ever coached because you seem to know nothing about it based on that remark? Typical BC I guess.

JasperDog94
08-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Actually OC is right. Jasper had three players at once cramping up. After talking with my mom (since she's on the school board I get good inside info) she told me that Jasper lost it's conditioning coach. Right now they've got two different guys working part time. That doesn't bode well.

Also, part of the problem was that the game lasted until 10:30. The first quarter lasted 45 minutes! When you play both ways, that tends to take it's toll out on you.

smokey
08-30-2004, 11:54 AM
That happened in our game and conditioning was not a factor. It was very hot and humid---cramps are inevitable even if you are in great condition. Everyone thinks they are a coach or know more than coaches. You know someone on the school board so now you think you are special. Jasper's coaches should be commended on the win. People need to watch what they say because it makes you sound ignorant!

JasperDog94
08-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by smokey
You know someone on the school board so now you think you are special. No, I'm related to someone on the school board. THAT is what makes me special!:p :p

Hupernikomen
08-30-2004, 12:03 PM
That happened in our game and conditioning was not a factor. It was very hot and humid---cramps are inevitable even if you are in great condition. Everyone thinks they are a coach or know more than coaches. You know someone on the school board so now you think you are special. Jasper's coaches should be commended on the win. People need to watch what they say because it makes you sound ignorant!

You are correct. I believe that these kids were going all out and that is what led to the muscle cramps. Ever since I can remember Jasper has had problems with muscle cramps. I wonder if they keep a bottle of pickle juice on the sideline. No doubt those kids were losing a lot of fluids in those muggy conditions.

But I do agree with OC I don't think that Jasper was in "prime condition" as far as x's and o's and intangibles are concerned. I can't stand to see delay of games in that type of offense..no excuses. Also, 12 fumbles means a lot of work needs to be done.

I have no problem with a 1 point advantage for PNG going into this game. PNG isn't going to be much different than the Ned. team that pushed us around.

JasperDog94
08-30-2004, 12:05 PM
That happened in our game and conditioning was not a factor. It was very hot and humid---cramps are inevitable even if you are in great condition. But they are more likely to happen when you're not as conditioned...like say three at one time.

spiveyrat
08-30-2004, 12:17 PM
I didn't see the game... but I listened to it. And it sounded to me that the mental mistakes (dumb penalties) and fumbles really began to become more common in the second half. I figure that was because of being under-conditioned. Ask the guys who were there at the game (there were a ton of 3adownlow regulars there including JasperDog94). I think they'll be able to tell you if Jasper was "sucking wind" or not.

Old Cardinal
08-30-2004, 05:49 PM
I really think that Jasper ran out of steam in the fourth quarter. Yes there were 3 down with cramps at the same time and other indications that WO-S was taking advantage of a winded Jasper team in the fourth quarter. If there had been a fifth quarter LOL WO-S would have won.
Now getting back to the situation at hand, to give PNG the nod is not that idiotic in that they are also a team blessed with high skill players.
This talk of high heat in the Golden Triangle is a little amusing; personally I thought it was a slightly cooler night for the Gulf Coast for this time of year!

J-town Hustler
08-30-2004, 08:47 PM
Talking to a lot of my fellow classmates, I can tell that one of the main problems with the fumbling was due to the humidity. When the ball became slick. (Lord help us if it rains.)

Also, being there and in a band uniform, it does get rather warm (but with a helmet and pads?) No wonder they got hot. Which I guess has a lot to do when it comes to stamina through the prior conditioning. Yes though, you are right OC in that, it isn't as hot as it could be and as it has been in the past. Thank goodness.

CHS_DT#75
08-30-2004, 09:53 PM
you practce in helmet and pads... you get used to the heat.... i am in band and football and i bet.... if we practiced in full uniform for band the heat would be less of a factor.... my team has 25 varsity players... 7 or 8 both ways... for me no matter how hard we practice, the game seems so much more intense and much faster... going both ways deffinitely wears on you.. eh i dont know where im goin with this... later...

spiveyrat
08-31-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
I really think that Jasper ran out of steam in the fourth quarter. Yes there were 3 down with cramps at the same time and other indications that WO-S was taking advantage of a winded Jasper team in the fourth quarter. If there had been a fifth quarter LOL WO-S would have won.
Now getting back to the situation at hand, to give PNG the nod is not that idiotic in that they are also a team blessed with high skill players.
This talk of high heat in the Golden Triangle is a little amusing; personally I thought it was a slightly cooler night for the Gulf Coast for this time of year!

Didn't I hear the PNG quarterback broke his arm last week?

ej2525
08-31-2004, 07:55 AM

Please open your mouth and insert your foot... you are the one who sounds ignorant on this thread. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Junkyard
08-31-2004, 08:46 AM
Dog94 your mom doesnt know as much as she thinks she does there were no coaching changes this year, the trainer left but he had no conditioning responsibilities, and no you are not special.:)

OC Jasper will win by 3 or more touchdowns, now that is a brash prediction!!

Cramping is not necessarily a conditioning problem even the highly coditioned athlete will cramp under certain conditions. And the Jasper kids were playing thier hearts out!!

OC Jasper never ran out out of wind, yes they were cramping and that was the only thing that kept some of them off of the field.

And finally to all of you so called Jasper supporters, Jasper gets bashed enough on here with you helping out why cant you keep your negative comments to your selves and just show support for your team and its coaches. But that is just the old Jasper mentality of not wanting these new kids to do what the past teams never could.

JasperDog94
08-31-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Junkyard
Dog94 your mom doesnt know as much as she thinks she does there were no coaching changes this year, the trainer left but he had no conditioning responsibilities, and no you are not special.:) Then please tell me what the trainer does. What are his responsibilities?

Junkyard
08-31-2004, 09:14 AM
He treats injuries, he tapes ankles, he provides any first aid or medical attention that might be needed, he treats any problems a player might have during the game but he is not the strength or conditioning coach, those responsiblities and decisions are made by the coaching staff.

JasperDog94
08-31-2004, 09:16 AM
I still think I'm special...:tongue:

spiveyrat
08-31-2004, 09:25 AM

And finally to all of you so called Jasper supporters, Jasper gets bashed enough on here with you helping out why cant you keep your negative comments to your selves and just show support for your team and its coaches. But that is just the old Jasper mentality of not wanting these new kids to do what the past teams never could.

Cool your jets, man. Who's bashing Jasper??? Don't be so fast to react. You must be mis-intrepreting something. Discussing what we perceive to be areas for improvement is not "bashing". All Jasper fans want the same thing you do.

Junkyard
08-31-2004, 09:33 AM
Maybe you are right Spivey but I never see any posts with positive comments from yall, just what yall think needs to be corrcted. How about for a change just saying great job dogs or great game plan coaches. Instead of picking apart the mistakes would it be so hard to emphasize the the good things that happened.

and Dog94 I am sure you are special no offnse intended!! :D

BIGHANK
08-31-2004, 09:33 AM
Hi my name is Toby and i want to know why yall call this website Downlow. What is it? Yall dont want nobody to know about it?

spiveyrat
08-31-2004, 10:02 AM
Cite some examples.

Hupernikomen
08-31-2004, 10:04 AM
Maybe you are right Spivey but I never see any posts with positive comments from yall, just what yall think needs to be corrcted. How about for a change just saying great job dogs or great game plan coaches. Instead of picking apart the mistakes would it be so hard to emphasize the the good things that happened.

and Dog94 I am sure you are special no offnse intended!! :D

Perhaps we are trying to show a bit of humbleness. We are having open discussions about our team and what they did good and what they need to improve. I see no harm in that. Having said that, I think we served noticed to those who know WOS and Jasper that we are the top Dog in 3A in these parts at this point with our win over WOS. It is no insult or not showing support to point out that Jasper got pushed around by Nederland because they did, or that the fumbles are going to come back to bite us if we don't correct them because they will, or that our special teams are atrocious because they are. Unfortunately, too many people just wink at their problems today and just pretend they aren't there; however, I am certain that Jasper's staff and players are working hard to correct all shortcomings.

Personally, Jasper has shown me volumes this year with there all around play and I think we have a good shot at the crown. Keep it going Dogs.

spiveyrat
08-31-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Perhaps we are trying to show a bit of humbleness. We are having open discussions about our team and what they did good and what they need to improve. I see no harm in that. Having said that, I think we served noticed to those who know WOS and Jasper that we are the top Dog in 3A in these parts at this point with our win over WOS. It is no insult or not showing support to point out that Jasper got pushed around by Nederland because they did, or that the fumbles are going to come back to bite us if we don't correct them because they will, or that our special teams are atrocious because they are. Unfortunately, too many people just wink at their problems today and just pretend they aren't there; however, I am certain that Jasper's staff and players are working hard to correct all shortcomings.

... yeah, what he said.

Personally, Jasper has shown me volumes this year with there all around play and I think we have a good shot at the crown. Keep it going Dogs.

I agee with this too. Listening to the game, In the first half, I thought Jasper sounded very polished and poised. I was very pleasantly surprised. But the fact is, in the 2nd half, our wheels got a little wobbly. I don't even think you would disagree with that.

PPHSfan
08-31-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by BIGHANK
Hi my name is Toby and i want to know why yall call this website Downlow. What is it? Yall dont want nobody to know about it?

Have you never heard of gettting the Lowdown or the Down Low on a subject?

spiveyrat
08-31-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by BIGHANK

I may be going out on a limb here with so little to go on, but you do not appear to be the same person posting as "BIGHANK" as I have seen before.

Junkyard
08-31-2004, 10:24 AM
Huper you are right, but you can be humble and talk about the good things. And about the things that need to be improved do you think the staff does not realize what needs to be improved, do you think talking about it here will get it done. All I am saying is why cant we just be positive in our comments, it is pretty obvious what needs to be improved with out bringing it up here.

Spivey you are right again as you usually are I just wish we as fans would comment more on the polished and poised than the wobbly wheels. These kids here enough negative comments from the stands and community with out haveing to read it on here.

Hupernikomen
08-31-2004, 12:00 PM
I think if you read my post you will be hard pressed to find much negative about Jasper. I know what it means to be a coach and be under severe criticism, and if I didn't support Jasper I wouldn't be still spending my time and money 15 years after leaving there talking about them and going to their games. We don't live in a perfect world and these young men better get use to constructive criticism if they hope to win much this year or in life. Surely, if those boys truly do read this board they will know that we support them one hundred percent. Some Jasper fans and others have already made the mistake of donning them with state championships just because they dropped to 3A with a talent ladden team. What we know now is that if you are going to win it, you better be prepared to make necessary changes and get better every week. I think if you look at what Jasper has done in the 2+ years that the new coaches have been there the record speaks for itself. The improvement they have made in playing against the spread is tremendous. Now on a critical note, I would like to see more passes over the middle and more quick outs instead of a steady dose of home run passes....surely I have a right to say that without causing hurt feelings among the players. Do I expect to see more short passes because I said so on some obscure message board? Of course not...Am I trying to belittle my hometown team and coaches by saying so...no.

Go Dogs....keep getting ready for the purple invasion friday night.

Ranger Mom
08-31-2004, 12:51 PM
Junkyard you should step back and take a deep breath. I just read this entire thread and didn't take anything "negative" from it. There have been MANY post on this board talking very positive about Jasper.

My team didn't have a game to play this past Friday, so i listened to the Jasper/WOS game (or tried to anyway) on here.

Both teams obviously have some things they need to work on, and I haven't seen any bashing of the players or the coaches on here.

Facts are facts!!!!

Chief Woodman
08-31-2004, 01:08 PM

As a 26 years firefighter how works in the hottest and most difficult environment you can get, let me assure you cramps CAN occur even if a person is properly conditioned. I have worked on a HAZMAT team for years wearing those personnal sauna suits that cause heat stress quicker than any football game you will ever play in. However, if a properly conditioned person is correctly hydrated PRIOR to the exertion AND they continure to re-hydrate during the event cramps are VERY rare. In fact at that point they are a sign of poor planning to prevent the problem and are the body's way of telling you that more critical problems will occur if not addressed (Heat exhaustion or Heat Stroke).

Some folks are more prone to cramps than others, but if they know this in advance they can for the most part eliminate the problem. If it happens to three players at once, it probably is not due to physical predisposition but rather poor hydration procedures. This isn't being stated from a position of ignorance, but by facts supported and taught by the Texas Department of Health.:eek:

JasperDog94
08-31-2004, 01:15 PM
Spivey you are right again as you usually are... Oh no! Don't tell him that...:D

Junkyard
08-31-2004, 02:01 PM
You know all I tried to say is why cant we be more positive about our comments and I get thrashed, I guess I just prefer to dwell on the more positve things in life instead of being critical of things.

Rangermom it wasnt necessarily this thread that had the negative comments, and for that matter maybe it wasnt negative comments at all but just critical ones. I am sure that not a single one of the Jasper players chose to cramp, and I am sure that the coaches are doing what they think is the best for their players.

Chief, you are totally right about hydration prior to Friday night, and I would be willing to bet the coaching staff and training staff has been preaching proper hydration procedures, but the fact remains these are 16, 17, and 18 year old kids and when they leave the coaches supervision there is no guarantee they will follow those procedures.

Huper, you are right this is not a perfect world but these kids are high school teenagers, there will be plenty of time for them to learn how to deal with when they become adults.

Lastly, Just because we have the right of freedom of speech doesnt mean we have to exercise that right.

And yes I know that goes for me too.

spiveyrat
08-31-2004, 02:30 PM
Ok junkyard, I understand your point. I harbor no ill will or hard feelings and I hope you don't either. :)

spiveyrat
08-31-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Oh no! Don't tell him that...:D

LOL!!! Probably sarcasm! :D

JasperDog94
08-31-2004, 02:43 PM
We can only hope!:D :p

Junkyard
08-31-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Ok junkyard, I understand your point. I harbor no ill will or hard feelings and I hope you don't either. :)

Spivey no ill will at all! :D

These kids have to deal with enough just being teenagers to see criticism however innocent it might seem to us just creates doubt in their minds that they dont need. And they do read this board.

You and Dog94 and the rest of the Jasper fans are great supporters.

As we all know this group of kids is a special group lets support them the best we can and maybe they can do what others have not.

Sorry if I have offended anyone and for getting up on my soapbox.

JasperDog94
08-31-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm certainly not offended. I'm just glad we have this wonderful site to debate such topics....football and communist soccer!:D :D

D. R. Hooks
08-31-2004, 03:58 PM
If everyone doesn't get along, we may be forced to unleash "tycoldasice" again!:rolleyes:

http://www.flickingerweather.com/wos.JPG

j_dog
08-31-2004, 04:03 PM
I don't know anything about cramping and all that. I can tell you from just sitting in the stands on the Jasper side that it was VERY humid, and VERY hot. It was weather wise, the most uncomfortable game I think I ever sat through. Even games in the rain were more pleasant. Even games in the cold were more pleasant.

I am not surprised that some players suffered cramps. I think we are just lucky one of them didn't collapse from heat exhaustion. The Dogs WILL do better. :) September will be cooler!

WOS1
08-31-2004, 04:12 PM
We hope anyway... :eek:

PPHSfan
08-31-2004, 04:16 PM
Well I hope everyone is jasper is all happy and in a "feel good" mood. Maybe the coach can pat them on the backs for a great win, and have their mom discuss holding on to the ball over a nice Sunday Supper where nobodys "feelings" will get hurt.:D

whatusay2
08-31-2004, 06:10 PM
So, my Jasper counterparts, I hope we're all one big happy family again? It was like watching my parents fight!

Hupernikomen
08-31-2004, 10:42 PM
I suppose I will just log on everyday and say go dogs..since nothing else seems to be allowed anymore...gee whiz.

Scrathced the gee whiz a teenager might have read that and their self-esteem been harmed...

Point taken Junkyard..I do regret one thing that I have said about the coaches in one of my post somewhere, but outside of that I don't think I have ever read anything that was inappropriate or out of line about Jasper by a Jasper supporter. Personally, I think the big head mentality was one cause for us losing two years ago. I hope we don't repeat that in the future by not exposing our kids to reality. On any given friday you can lose if you don't execute. Minimize the mistakes and we will be very hard to beat period!!

I am done with this topic.

Lets start a thread and start hexing the purple guys now.

pakrat
09-01-2004, 12:33 AM
Going back to the Burnet game last year and the WOS game this yr, I think Jasper played 2 games in a row where they exceeded expectations. That takes good coaching and good athletes with the heart to win. Personally, I hope they keep it up. And whoever is saying people on this board are negative about Jasper, TAKE NOTICE!!!

JasperDog94
09-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Lets start a thread and start hexing the purple guys now. bad voodoo....bad voodoo...:evil: :evillaugh :evilgrin:

j_dog
09-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by pakrat
Going back to the Burnet game last year and the WOS game this yr, I think Jasper played 2 games in a row where they exceeded expectations. That takes good coaching and good athletes with the heart to win. Personally, I hope they keep it up. And whoever is saying people on this board are negative about Jasper, TAKE NOTICE!!!
I have to agree with you about the good coaching and especially the heart to win. When the game was on the line and Jasper only had a 2 point lead, they composed themselves and marched down the field and killed almost all the time on the clock in order to win. Along the way they had a 4th down faked punt that went for about 39 yards. That says plenty of heart to me. :)

Old Cardinal
09-04-2004, 12:21 AM
Well this Friday night turned out to be special for HS football. I had picked Nederland to ease out WO-S; however WO-S won 32-30 over a rated Nederland powerhouse. Jasper took a loss to a good PN-G team 20-14. What great preseason training for a couple of good 3A squads to take on the Triangles good 4A units.