PDA

View Full Version : Jasper/WOS Story

kepdawg
08-28-2004, 12:57 PM
The Beaumont Enterprise home : news : sports news : local sports

Jasper nips WO-S

By: RUSH WOOD , The Enterprise 08/28/2004

WEST ORANGE - The most popular items spotted in the West Orange-Stark side of the Mustang Stadium stands Friday night were T-shirts sporting the slogan: "Ready To Play in 3A."

For three quarters, that appeared to be false advertising.

Jasper was well on the way to giving the WO-S players and their fans a rude welcome to 3A football until the Mustangs roused themselves and rallied to within 25-23 by game's end.

The Mustangs, who trailed by 19-2 at one point in the opening quarter, drove 50 yards for one fourth-quarter touchdown, then capitalized on Jasper's fifth lost fumble of the evening to score another.

LeKeith Ford's second TD run of the fourth quarter - a 1-yarder - and Jeff Wheatley's conversion pulled WO-S to within 25-23 with 4:55 left.

The Bulldogs, who were ranked No. 1 in some preseason polls, preserved the win by holding onto the ball for 11 plays and keeping it until they ran out of downs at the Mustang 9-yard line with 16 seconds remaining.

The biggest play among those came when Jordan Patton lined up in punt formation from the Bulldogs' 28-yard line, fielded a low punt snap and dashed 30 yards down the left sideline to pick up a crucial first down.

Patton, who shared quarterback duties with Gilbert Moye and Edrick Bronson, wound up with 115 rushing yards on 20 carries. He scored the Bulldogs' final touchdown on a 5-yard run up the middle on the first play of the fourth quarter.

Moye led the Bulldogs with 118 yards on 17 carries, and Bronson added 71 on nine.

The Bulldogs ransacked WO-S' once-proud defense for 23 first downs and 448 total yards, 336 coming on 53 rushing plays.

Moye, a sophomore, completed five of nine passes for 84 yards, including a 20-yarder to Sean Weatherspoon for a TD. Bronson was one of three for 28 yards.

While the Bulldogs lost five of their whopping 12 fumbles, the Mustangs lost both of theirs, and the 'Dogs intercepted WO-S quarterback Ryan Crouch three times, including two by DeKendrick Gilder.

Gilder returned his first pick 35 yards for Jasper's third TD of the first quarter, putting the Bulldogs in control at 19-2.

Earl Thomas was WO-S' leading rusher with 55 yards on eight carries. Ford had 43 on 13.

The Mustangs, who also received No. 1 billing in some preseason polls, managed 14 first downs and 162 total yards. Crouch went 5-for-16 for 61 yards with the three interceptions.

In untypical fashion, WO-S' defense yielded 301 first-half yards on 35 plays. Most of that came in the first quarter when the Bulldogs leaped to the 19-8 advantage that they protected until halftime.

First, the Bulldogs marched 61 yards on eight plays after receiving the opening kickoff.

They chewed that up in sizable chunks with Moye picking up 16 yards around right end, then 12 around left end and another 16 on a play on which he danced his way past two would-be tacklers.

Eventually, Moye completed the drive with a 5-yard pickup up the middle with 8:46 left in the quarter.

After holding the Mustangs on downs from the 26-yard line, the Bulldogs bounced back with a five-play, 74-yard scoring drive. Bronson initiated it with a 16-yard scamper off right tackle, then Moye took a pitchout from Bronson for an 18-yard gain.

Two more running plays netted 20 yards, then Moye attempted his first pass, and it went for 20 yards and a TD to Weatherspoon.

The Mustangs blocked Alex Padgett's extra point attempt, and Michael Warnell scooped up the loose ball and returned it all of the way to cut their deficit to 13-2 with 3:56 left in the quarter.

Forty-four seconds later, the Bulldogs' advantage swelled to 19-2 as Gilder picked off a Crouch pass and returned it 35 yards for a TD.

A 54-yard kickoff return by Kenneth Beasley set up WO-S' lone touchdown drive of the first half. First-down runs of 9 yards by Ford, 11 yards by Thomas and 7 yards by Thomas led to Crouch's one-yard sneak for the TD with two seconds left in the quarter.

Jasper's defense also excelled in the opening half, holding the Mustangs to six first downs and 83 total yards.

Reach this editor at:

(409) 833-3311, ext. 481

rwood@beaumonternterprise.com

ŠThe Beaumont Enterprise 2004

Junkyard
08-28-2004, 01:06 PM
This game wasnt near as close and the score shows it to be.

Keith7
08-28-2004, 01:08 PM
It looks like they weren't "ready to play 3a"

JasperDog94
08-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Enjoy the moment Keith. I can guarantee that you haven't heard the last of WOS. When playoffs arrive, they'll still be around...most likely several rounds deep.

Gobbla2001
08-28-2004, 04:05 PM
If there's one thing I've learned about WO-S this season having paid closer attention to them this season, it's that they do not give up...

"Score shows the game to be closer than it actually was".......?

What's that?

Are you telling me that with just 25 points Jasper called off the dogs (I'd like to think they didn't)? Which would mean WO-S could easily make the score look closer?

Maybe they didn't play good up until the 4th, but what WO-S did in the 4th made it a close game...

25-23 not close? I guess FG's in the Golden Triangle count as .25 points or something!

JasperDog94
08-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
...the Bulldogs lost five of their whopping 12 fumbles.,.... Anyone want to guess what Jasper will be working on this week?

GS#17
08-28-2004, 04:13 PM
JasperDog, Gobbla, thanks. I hope the team will prove both of you right. It was a good game against a great team, and Jasper, too, will go very far this year. They have some talented players and great fans -- definitely a winning combination.

Jasper made major improvements from their scrimmage against NED, and if they continue to get better each week, they will be virtually unstoppable. Although they had a few delay of game penalties, it was nowhere near like last week. Fumbling was a problem again, but that will get better as the season rolls along.

Gobbla2001
08-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Anyone want to guess what Jasper will be working on this week?

Well, we're right behind you, lost three of five ourselves...

JasperDog94
08-28-2004, 04:18 PM
GS#17, we have to keep Keith in check every now and then.;)

Junkyard
08-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
If there's one thing I've learned about WO-S this season having paid closer attention to them this season, it's that they do not give up...

"Score shows the game to be closer than it actually was".......?

What's that?

Are you telling me that with just 25 points Jasper called off the dogs (I'd like to think they didn't)? Which would mean WO-S could easily make the score look closer?

Maybe they didn't play good up until the 4th, but what WO-S did in the 4th made it a close game...

25-23 not close? I guess FG's in the Golden Triangle count as .25 points or something!

Look at the stats gobble 438 yards of Offense for the Dogs and 160 for the Mustangs. The only close about the game was the score and the turn overs 5-5 anyone at the game knows it could have easily been 35 to 8 at the half.

Gobbla2001
08-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Junkyard
Look at the stats gobble 438 yards of Offense for the Dogs and 160 for the Mustangs. The only close about the game was the score and the turn overs 5-5 anyone at the game knows it could have easily been 35 to 8 at the half.

Like I said... Four quarters...

It would be easy to say "Yah, I understand" if the score were 35-23... but a FG for WO-S would have won the game...

Good Job Jasper and keep fighting hard all of the way, Mustangs!

Backwoods
08-28-2004, 05:03 PM
You know, Junkyard stats don't matter. The only thing that counts at the end of the game is the SCORE.

spiveyrat
08-28-2004, 05:44 PM
I remember a game we played where we couldn't seem to hold on to the ball. The next Monday at practice, the coach threw the ball out on the field and he ordered his entire offense to "GET ON THAT BALL". When the whole offense dogpiled on the ball, he said "Gimme that ball" and then he threw it a few yards away and told us to "GET ON THAT BALL" again.

This repeated itself about 10 times. And we all got the point! :eek:

X21AAAPlayer
08-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
JasperDog, Gobbla, thanks. I hope the team will prove both of you right. It was a good game against a great team, and Jasper, too, will go very far this year. They have some talented players and great fans -- definitely a winning combination.

Jasper made major improvements from their scrimmage against NED, and if they continue to get better each week, they will be virtually unstoppable. Although they had a few delay of game penalties, it was nowhere near like last week. Fumbling was a problem again, but that will get better as the season rolls along.
Yeah you have to admit.. the way jasper runs their offense is pretty slick, they never call the play until they see some sort of defensive formation. That's how it seems.. if they see a stunt or some sort of blitz the guys up top will tell the coach what to signal so they don't get stuck in the backfield. Worked pretty dang good against us in 02.. lol

Junkyard
08-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Backwoods
You know, Junkyard stats don't matter. The only thing that counts at the end of the game is the SCORE.

You are right Backwood, what I am trying to say is the game was not as close as the score made it appear to be if the score was all you had seen. Jasper really dominated this game and had it not been for the fumbles and and a costly penalty that kept WO-S in the game in the 4th quarter the score would have reflected the it.

I will give credit where credit is due and that is that the Mustangs never quit fighting and took advantage of Jaspers mistakes when they could, they have a great team and I wish the the best of luck and hope they win it all. it will would be great to have 3 state champions with in 60 miles of each other here in south east Texas. WO-S 3a div I, Jasper 3a divII and Newton 2a divI.:D

GS#17
08-29-2004, 11:25 AM
Let's hope for the best! :)

BIGHANK
08-29-2004, 11:40 AM
honestly i think wo-s may be overrated if you recover a teams 5 fumbles and still lose there is something wrong even when jasper fumbled 12 times but they didnt quit

even though i hate to do it i have to give my props to the bulldogs

GS#17
08-29-2004, 11:47 AM
The turnover ratio was equal -- while WOS recovered 5 fumbles, Jasper picked 3 passes and recovered 2 WOS fumbles. Also, the penalties were pretty much even. To put it bluntly, it was a very sloppy game from beginning to end on both teams' part. Jasper had a stronger team, though, and prevailed. They certainly deserve all the credit and recognition for the win, and they will undoubtedly get many more Ws along the way.

Gasilla
08-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Junkyard
You are right Backwood, what I am trying to say is the game was not as close as the score made it appear to be if the score was all you had seen. Jasper really dominated this game and had it not been for the fumbles and and a costly penalty that kept WO-S in the game in the 4th quarter the score would have reflected the it.

I will give credit where credit is due and that is that the Mustangs never quit fighting and took advantage of Jaspers mistakes when they could, they have a great team and I wish the the best of luck and hope they win it all. it will would be great to have 3 state champions with in 60 miles of each other here in south east Texas. WO-S 3a div I, Jasper 3a divII and Newton 2a divI.:D

Now, I have said in other posts that the game was not as close as the score indicates, but this post here makes it sound like Jasper was the only team out there turning the ball over and being flagged. All 5 of the WO-S turnovers were in Jasper territory except for one which Jasper ran in for a TD. As for the yardage, Jasper had 301 at the half. The game was pretty tight in the second half.

Hupernikomen
08-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Well I haven't had a lot of time to give my opinion of the game so here goes.

First half I felt that Jasper was in control pretty much throughout. I kept expecting WOS to make a run, especially after the blocked extra point that was return for 2 points. But, it seems the offense just didn't click for them. Honestly, I thought they could of have moved the ball on the ground more than they did. Their counter plays were really working against a pursuing Dogs defense but they seemed to quit running that type of play.

The interception for a TD by Gilder was a pretty play that gave the Dogs the momentum to hold on to a solid lead going into halftime.

2nd Half

This was about as sloppy of a half of football as I have seen. I don't think there was any 3 play strecth without a penalty for the entire 4th quarter and maybe the whole half. Jasper couldn't hike the ball or pitch the ball for nothing. WOS took advantage of Jasper's mistakes on 2 occasions to make it a game midway through the 4th quarter. But just like Jasper they had their share of penalities and turnovers.

I would say that this would be a much more exciting and well played game 3 or 4 weeks from now, but I know both teams are better off for having played it.

Overall a few things really impressed about Jasper.
1. Offensive line. They either were doing some might fine blocking or WOS chaingang is down from what I have seen it in the past. Maybe a bit of both.
2. Jasper's defensive backfield. They gave up a few big plays but there was numerous times when WOS QB couldn't find an opening receiver and had to wing it.
3. Jasper's skilled players on offense.
The SO QB has a lot to learn and throws the ball well sometimes and throw ducks othertimes, but he looked very elusive when running the ball.
Patton (#2) was the best runner in the game IMO. He made yards when I thought he couldn't.
Bronson (#7) was as good if not better.
The WRs made some nice grabs, a couple of them jump balls.

WOS was good in some areas as well.
What stood out to me was Beasly. I don't think he got the ball near enough. I am sure the WOS folks can tell us more about what they did well on than I can since I was not paying particular attention to their game. The QB has a nice arm, but seemed to have a hard time finding a receiver open if his primary target was covered (probably cause the others were covered mostly). However, a couple of dropped passes hurting the flow of the WOS offense.

Finally, Jasper has to have the worst special teams of a state ranked 3A I have ever seen. They can't kick or cover a kick off. I knew there was no way they would punt that ball to WOS there late in the 4th quarter because they would have probably returned the thing for a TD.

one of the funniest thing in the game was listening to WOS announcer. I haven't heard anyone work the refs like that guy before. On that punt play he says "Jasper lines up for what appears to be a punt." That was a classic.

J-town Hustler
08-29-2004, 11:11 PM
Where can I find a shirt that represents Jasper? Like the ones they had at Meet the Bulldogs.

X21AAAPlayer
08-30-2004, 12:04 AM
If jasper learns to hold on to the ball and definitely get some work on the special teams department they are going to be a solid team early off. I think WOS just needs to work out a few kinks and the people around here know that Hooks WILL be all over them this week at practice. Let's hope for a better showing against nederland or things could get ugly. As for Jasper, I have always believed that if you win 2 of the 3 parts of football you can win the game. Offense, Defense and Special teams. If jasper gets it together on the special teams department and stays healthy all year progressively getting better, look out 3a because they are going to make some racket. I wished these two teams would've played week 10 instead of week 1, would have been a much better game in my opinion.

spiveyrat
08-30-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen

one of the funniest thing in the game was listening to WOS announcer. I haven't heard anyone work the refs like that guy before. On that punt play he says "Jasper lines up for what appears to be a punt." That was a classic.

Don't forget about "fumblistic" and "fumble-itis"! :D

Bulldog92
08-30-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Don't forget about "fumblistic" and "fumble-itis"! :D Those guys are pretty entertaining. I do wish the folks in Jasper would get their stuff together and webcast, but I'll listen to them as long as I can't get Jasper's games from the opponents. :D

JasperDog94
08-30-2004, 08:52 AM
On that punt play he says "Jasper lines up for what appears to be a punt." That was a classic. That was a classic. It reminded me of when we played PNG years ago. They had a fantastic kicker that could put the ball through the sticks from 45 yards out. The announcer stated that when they went out to kick the field goal, " I can't beleive they forgot their kicking tee. As many times as they've done this and they forgot the tee." The next thing you know, BAM!!! PNG throws a pass and they're in the endzone.

The moral of the story is: Always listen to the announcer.;)

Gasilla
08-30-2004, 08:53 AM
Well I haven't had a lot of time to give my opinion of the game so here goes.

First half I felt that Jasper was in control pretty much throughout. I kept expecting WOS to make a run, especially after the blocked extra point that was return for 2 points. But, it seems the offense just didn't click for them. Honestly, I thought they could of have moved the ball on the ground more than they did. Their counter plays were really working against a pursuing Dogs defense but they seemed to quit running that type of play.

The interception for a TD by Gilder was a pretty play that gave the Dogs the momentum to hold on to a solid lead going into halftime.

2nd Half

This was about as sloppy of a half of football as I have seen. I don't think there was any 3 play strecth without a penalty for the entire 4th quarter and maybe the whole half. Jasper couldn't hike the ball or pitch the ball for nothing. WOS took advantage of Jasper's mistakes on 2 occasions to make it a game midway through the 4th quarter. But just like Jasper they had their share of penalities and turnovers.

I would say that this would be a much more exciting and well played game 3 or 4 weeks from now, but I know both teams are better off for having played it.

Overall a few things really impressed about Jasper.
1. Offensive line. They either were doing some might fine blocking or WOS chaingang is down from what I have seen it in the past. Maybe a bit of both.
2. Jasper's defensive backfield. They gave up a few big plays but there was numerous times when WOS QB couldn't find an opening receiver and had to wing it.
3. Jasper's skilled players on offense.
The SO QB has a lot to learn and throws the ball well sometimes and throw ducks othertimes, but he looked very elusive when running the ball.
Patton (#2) was the best runner in the game IMO. He made yards when I thought he couldn't.
Bronson (#7) was as good if not better.
The WRs made some nice grabs, a couple of them jump balls.

WOS was good in some areas as well.
What stood out to me was Beasly. I don't think he got the ball near enough. I am sure the WOS folks can tell us more about what they did well on than I can since I was not paying particular attention to their game. The QB has a nice arm, but seemed to have a hard time finding a receiver open if his primary target was covered (probably cause the others were covered mostly). However, a couple of dropped passes hurting the flow of the WOS offense.

Finally, Jasper has to have the worst special teams of a state ranked 3A I have ever seen. They can't kick or cover a kick off. I knew there was no way they would punt that ball to WOS there late in the 4th quarter because they would have probably returned the thing for a TD.

Hup, I agree with 100% of your post. Jasper, with out a doubt, dominated us in the first half. I don't know what the deal is with us and first halves yet but I sure hope it changes. And no, this is not the chain gang of old, at least not yet. I happen to know that there are several personnel changes happening this week. Also, Thompson has only been back since July and these kids have never played for him. They are still learning his defense.

Hopefully, Nederland will over look us some this week and we can keep the game close. I'm afraid that if we play like we did against Jasper in the first half, it WILL get ugly. Of course, I like when we are the underdog, just ask Bay City and PNG about that... :D :D