PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to 3A Football, WOS

pakrat
08-28-2004, 01:00 AM
Well somebody said Jasper won the 1st game when you dropped down to 4A, so history repeats itself tonight. Go out there and win yourself another state championship like you did the first year you dropped to 4A. I drove a long way to see that game. Got there early and gotta tell you, it was steamy hot as only the Texas coast can be. Big difference in the game was the conditioning of WOS. You guys had it, Jasper did not. Jasper is not the same team without their #1 QB and he didn't get in but just a few plays in the 2nd half. It made a big difference. The other guys are not as adept at getting those long snaps as he is. I saw him fighting cramps on the sideline. Jasper has a lot of 2 way players and when they started cramping up, it took 2 starters out instead of one. JAsper's best pass receiver/defensive back was sidelined for a time. Jasper sometimes had 2 or 3 cramped up at a time. WOS didn't. But in the first half Jasper was awesome. Could be some element of surprise being the first game. They must have had a few things Hooks didn't expect.

GS#17
08-28-2004, 01:07 AM
Jasper just took it to us in the first half. WOS' defense was outmuscled and they had some very poor efforts at tackling some very good runners. Both teams made their share of mistakes, though, and Jasper was just the better team tonight.

WOS showed a lot of heart in the second half and made some adjustments, but just had too little too late. I really believe both teams are better in the long run because they played each other, and I hope to see both teams with good playoff runs this year.

pakrat
08-28-2004, 01:13 AM
Good attitude GS. I would like to see both teams go far. Don't know if that would mean a rematch because of this big school, little school bracketing, but if there is a rematch and things go well in between, it will be quite a game. Didn't think there would be any empty seats there toinght, but WOS did not have their side of the stadium filled and neither did Jasper, but considering there were a lot of visitors ( from neither school) I thought there would not be any place to sit or park. So I got there early and suffered the heat.

WOS92
08-28-2004, 01:16 AM
WO-S made some good defensive adjustments in the second half and showed a lot of heart, but it just wasn't quite enough. As you probably noticed, most of our "stud" players play both ways as well, so I'm sure fatigue played into the sloppiness of both teams in the fourth quarter.
I'm proud of our team for fighting back like they did.
Good luck this year!

GS#17
08-28-2004, 01:16 AM
I was kind of surprised by the turnout, also. Unfortunately, there were quite a few extra empty seats around me by the 4th quarter, which kind of annoyed me (I'm not a big supporter of fair-weather fans), but at least I could get whatever breeze was available, which was particularly helpful since our concession stands ran out of drinks by halftime... :rolleyes:

WOS92
08-28-2004, 01:21 AM
For what it's worth, this game should do WO-S a lot of good. A wake-up call never hurts in Week 0. Considering how the game started, our guys responded pretty well in the end.
And let's not pretend anyone came here predicting we'd romp through 3a - not anyone from WO-S. In fact, we all knew this would be a potential loss.
So thanks for the "welcome." :D If it turns out like it did when you welcomed us in '86, I'll take it.
I guess that puts it at 14-5. Congrats on a sloppy (by both teams) but well-deserved win.

pakrat
08-28-2004, 01:24 AM
I'm glad I got my soda Pop before the game. He He. I thought there was supposed to be some kind of Tshirt thing. I looked for somebody that might have a 3A downlow t shirt but didn't see anything. After the game started, I forgot about it.

WOS92
08-28-2004, 01:26 AM
It was after the game under the scoreboard.

GS#17
08-28-2004, 01:28 AM
We all met at the scoreboard after the game. Sorry we missed you, but we'll see each other again -- hopefully as part of a double header in the playoffs! :)

westTXbest
08-28-2004, 01:30 AM
Im glad to see this team get beat (WOS) after all those dang post!!!!!!!!

WOS92
08-28-2004, 01:32 AM
I'm glad it brought you some joy, but we're not going away :D
And we didn't come in here like we owned the place...
And many of us said it was likely we'd lose this game...
And it was #1 vs. #2 and a two-point loss - not exactly a stunning upset...
Just a little perspective.

pakrat
08-28-2004, 01:38 AM
Just one other thing I'd like to say about this game. It contained on of the most spectacular plays I've seen in a long time. WOS gets a fumble and takes off and there's no one between the WOS player and the goal line. But Jasper's #1 QB takes out after him. I thought the WOS man was long gone, but Jasper's QB catches him from behind. It took about 30 yards, but the QB gained on him on every step. Then he is in position to tackle but instead he reaches around and knocks the ball loose and a team mate covers it for Jasper. I saw some kind of speed from that QB.
The ball actually bounced back toward the line of scrimmage and all the trailing players. It was a good play to save a touchdown and get the ball back to boot.

WOS92
08-28-2004, 01:40 AM
That play was the play of the game. Without the QB it's an easy WO-S TD.
Both teams squandered a ton of opportunities.

WOS1
08-28-2004, 02:20 AM
Well... as much as it pains me to say it. I do not feel like the game was as close as the score indicates. Jasper whipped us tonight. Maybe we'll get another shot at them down the road.

Stanley
08-28-2004, 08:55 AM
It sounded like a week zero game. Defenses usually have the advantage and conditioning is usually an issue up in August. Especially with 2 way players.

JasperDog94
08-28-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by pakrat
Big difference in the game was the conditioning of WOS. You guys had it, Jasper did not. Jasper is not the same team without their #1 QB and he didn't get in but just a few plays in the 2nd half. It made a big difference. The other guys are not as adept at getting those long snaps as he is. I saw him fighting cramps on the sideline. Jasper has a lot of 2 way players and when they started cramping up, it took 2 starters out instead of one. JAsper's best pass receiver/defensive back was sidelined for a time. Jasper sometimes had 2 or 3 cramped up at a time. WOS didn't. But in the first half Jasper was awesome. Could be some element of surprise being the first game. They must have had a few things Hooks didn't expect. I was very disappointed to see players start cramping up. Jasper's QB #1 wasn't cramping. I'm not sure exactly what was wrong. Maybe he was getting overheated? I'll have to find out about that one. But you're right about Jasper not being the same team without him. At one point Jasper did have 3 players cramping up.

My play of the game was the botched fake punt with 3 minutes to go that still netted a first down. Once again the center snapped the ball and the ball hit the ground before anybody could touch it. I'm really surprised that the play worked, but I'm glad that it did.

GUNHO
08-28-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by WOS1
Well... as much as it pains me to say it. I do not feel like the game was as close as the score indicates. Jasper whipped us tonight. Maybe we'll get another shot at them down the road.

I will agree with that.Also a very sloppy game for both teams.BTW,I think Jasper has a real winner in that sophmore quarterback.

WOS1
08-28-2004, 10:41 AM
He is an excellent runner. Very elusive and can fly. He needs to work on his passing, he kind of threw a couple up for grabs. We just weren't good enough to make him pay for it.

pakrat
08-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by WOS1

A few stats prove you right.
First Downs: JAsper 23, WOS 14
Rushing yards: J-53 for 336 yds, WOS-26 for 101 yds
Passing: J: 6-12-0 for 112 yds and one TD
WOS: 5-16 and 3 interceptions
Punts: 0 for J, 2 for 33 yards for WOS
Fumbles: J fumbled 12 times, lost 5 of them
WOS fumbled 2, lost 2
Penalties: J 10 for 85 yds, WOS 9 for 61 yds.

I am suprised Jasper could overcome so many fumbles and put up these kinds of rushing stats this early in the year against a team famous for its stingy defense.

WOS92
08-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Our defense always starts the year slow - but not usually this slow. Still, despite the stats, we were a play or two away from getting a W in this one, so I'm still proud of our guys for playing with as much heart as they did regardless of the score.
Both teams have a lot to work on going into next week.
Good luck!