PDA

View Full Version : Jasper 25 WO-S 23

Old Cardinal
08-27-2004, 11:10 PM
Well the big week 0 games stacked up to be as great as anyone could expect. I guess we now can rate Jasper as #1 and most definately WO-S as #2. This was a really wild game with a lot of stripped footballs causing crucial turnovers. Congratulations to two good squads that played their heart out tonight. They are both very exceptionally skill teams!

Chris Hart
08-27-2004, 11:14 PM
Way to go Jasper! I knew yall could do it!:)

Keith7
08-27-2004, 11:15 PM
All due respects to Jasper, but WO-S was sopposed to be the teamt ot beat in 3A so I would have loved to have been there chanting, OVERRATED... OVERRATED..

SintonFan_inAustin
08-27-2004, 11:15 PM
yes rate them 1 and 2 now :rolleyes: Good win for Jasper and they fumble what 9 to 10 times and still beat WO.

ballinhard
08-27-2004, 11:21 PM
west orange had just as many turnovers so they were even on that. it wasnt close just cuz jasper fumbled. thats like sayin jasper got the lead because of interceptions and fumbles which they did get those but they played better the first half.

shankbear
08-27-2004, 11:49 PM
Jasper almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Their QB and the running back #7 are excellent. Talent runs deep. Speed runs deeper. WO-S strategic error calling T.O. with Jasper at 4th and long with over 3 minutes left. Oh well there is always next week......UhOh that's Nederland for WO-S!!!!

BIG19
08-27-2004, 11:52 PM
Good win for Jasper. Just wish this game would have been played right before district. Would have been a good tune up for both teams.

j_dog
08-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Congratulations to Jasper on the win, and props to WOS for hanging in there. Yes, Jasper had a lot of fumbles, but surely WOS may have had something to do with that. :)

Good luck to both teams next week as they move on to play very good 4a teams.

j_dog
08-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
All due respects to Jasper, but WO-S was sopposed to be the teamt ot beat in 3A so I would have loved to have been there chanting, OVERRATED... OVERRATED..
WOS was good, very good. Speed, speed, speed in abundance. They were perhaps just not quite as fast as Jasper. Keith, come December you may have your opportunity to chant. :)

WOS92
08-28-2004, 12:23 AM
Poor, bitter Keith. :rolleyes:

HighSchool Fan
08-28-2004, 12:27 AM
Why should Keith7 be bitter? Just because he doesn't agree with you? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

BTW, WOS is not the winningest team in 4A anymore.

WOS92
08-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Keith is bitter because he wants the team ranked #1 to lose simply because he feels his team has been disrespected. Everyone has a right to his or her own opinion. Mine is that Keith is bitter.

Ummm... and I think there's a minimum number of games played to get that Top Slot in 4a. Nice try. :rolleyes:

HighSchool Fan
08-28-2004, 12:38 AM
Gainesville has never been ranked #1 before. The ranking don't mean much to Gainevilee fans. It seems it means more to WOS. I guess it would since they haven't made the playoffs the last couple of years.

Where does it say that you have to have played a certain amout of games to be the winningest team?

Burnett, undefeated and winningest team in 4A history!!!

WOS92
08-28-2004, 12:41 AM
LOL!! You're right. Winning one game is a legacy that will never die!

:D

Chris Hart
08-28-2004, 12:50 AM
Yall are leaving out Everman. Burnet doesn't own the record alone.:D

WOS92
08-28-2004, 12:50 AM
Let's see how all of this shakes out in December :D

HighSchool Fan
08-28-2004, 12:54 AM
Everman was 4A a few years back. Enjoy the record while you can.:D :D

WOS92, I'm just trying to get a rise out of you, no harm intended. I respect the tradition at WOS.

Chris Hart
08-28-2004, 12:55 AM
My bad, I knew that LOL.:o

HighSchool Fan
08-28-2004, 12:59 AM
One more thing WOS92, as I said, I respect WOS, but my wife has a big problem with WOS. She is from Kerrville, well you know the rest of the story.:(

GS#17
08-28-2004, 01:02 AM
Well, for what it's worth, I have the utmost respect for the Antlers. We played them in 87 and 88 in the semis, and they had some great teams. The 87 year, I was a senior, and they completely impressed me -- their team was very strong, but their fans were outstanding.

HighSchool Fan
08-28-2004, 01:08 AM
My wife graduated from Kerrville in '88. I've heard plenty of stories about those 2 games. Trust me, none of them are good when she is telling them.

Stanley
08-28-2004, 08:58 AM
How many teams can make that many mistakes and still beat WO-S on their home field?

JasperDog94
08-28-2004, 09:01 AM
You can bet that Japer will be working on their snaps this coming week. That's where most of the fumbles occured. botched snaps. They recovered most of them, but I bet there were at least botched snaps where the ball ended up on the ground.

GS#17
08-28-2004, 09:15 AM
Stanley, to answer your question, a very good team that could capitalize on all the turnovers and mistakes WOS made.

WOS92
08-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Turnovers were even.

footballgal
08-28-2004, 11:17 AM
sounds like it was a great game, minus the turnovers!

Supertilley
08-28-2004, 01:29 PM
It was a great game. And btw, all of you that keep saying that ranking are important to wo-s because we haven't made the playoffs in a cuple of years, have another thing comming. The way jasper played last night would destroy any of your 3a teams. There o-line blocking is out standing. Clearly jasper deservse to be #1, and by the time district starts Wo-s won't even be ranked. But be ready, because they will be gunning for all of you. With a 5-5 record. Just you wait. The Wo-s coach is a master mind. A very deep playoff run will happen. Like it or not.

HighSchool Fan
08-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Supertilley
The way jasper played last night would destroy any of your 3a teams.

Why are you so sure of that? Have you seen Sinton, Cuero, Atlanta, Wylie, Gainesville or any other 3A team play this year? It sounds like Jasper has a pretty good team, but to say they would of destroyed any other 3A team is strickly an opinion, and not a very good one at that.

Supertilley
08-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Maybe after Jasper beats a very powerful 4A Pn-g team next week you will start to understand. Jasper is a talented but more importantly a hungry team. Just wait bid daddy all of these teams you speak of....Sinton, Cuero, Atlanta, Wylie, Gainesville ..... are gonna get it handed to them. Wo-s and Jasper will both be d1 and d2 champs this year.

HighSchool Fan
08-28-2004, 07:56 PM
So I guess that Jasper is the only hungry team in 3A. Why don't we go ahead and cancel the rest of the season and just give the trophys to Jasper and WOS. If you remember last year Atlanta had no chance to win the championship, but guess what, they did. Last year Gainesville wasn't even ranked in the top 15 at this time. You have no clue how the season will turn out. Just enjoy the ride and let it play out.

Gobbla2001
08-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Maybe after Jasper beats a very powerful 4A Pn-g team next week you will start to understand. Jasper is a talented but more importantly a hungry team. Just wait bid daddy all of these teams you speak of....Sinton, Cuero, Atlanta, Wylie, Gainesville ..... are gonna get it handed to them. Wo-s and Jasper will both be d1 and d2 champs this year.

Well atleast we have history on our sides if nothing else... Cuero's been to the semi's to face Region three 9 different times... Record? 8-1 (Sealy got us in 95, but who didn't they get?)...

Jasper seems to be very tough, I'll agree...

j_dog
08-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
You have no clue how the season will turn out. Just enjoy the ride and let it play out.
That sounds good to me! :)

Supertilley
08-28-2004, 09:31 PM
The people that make up the polls aren't stupid. They have been doing this a long time. Sure I got a good clue how the season will turn out last night. I was at the #1 game in the state. Seems everyone is knocking the polls. By the way, I have seen alot of predictions on this board, why are you disliking mine so much?

Gobbla2001
08-28-2004, 09:36 PM
The people that make up the polls aren't stupid. They have been doing this a long time. Sure I got a good clue how the season will turn out last night. I was at the #1 game in the state. Seems everyone is knocking the polls. By the way, I have seen alot of predictions on this board, why are you disliking mine so much?

The number one game in the state? Yes, it featured who the pollsters believe are the best teams in the state... But that was just one game, you haven't seen any other teams play yet this year, so what is your logic behind every team being whupped by these two?

I wouldn't doubt it, but I wouldn't bet on it...

Supertilley
08-28-2004, 09:46 PM
ok guys you still don't get me. I have been playing football, watching football, coaching football ect. ect. all of my life. If you would have saw that game last night you would understand. Jasper would have given Katy a fit last night. You keep telling me to wait and see what happens in the long run, that it will probably pan out different. So I will. But remember what I said.

HighSchool Fan
08-28-2004, 09:47 PM

Who said the people that make up the polls are stupid? The polls are meaningless. Just look at last year. Burnett was rated #1 for the whole year and Gainesville and Atlanta wasn't ranked in the top ten until very late in the season. Other predictions on here was about where teams were rated at this time. I don't recall anyone posting on here saying that Jasper or WOS was for sure going to win the championship. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they both one it, but it's way to early to get in that discussion.

Gobbla2001
08-28-2004, 09:50 PM
I DO UNDERSTAND THAT THEY LOOKED AWESOME...

But who else have you seen play this year? How do you know someone else isn't awesome? How do you know that someone else couldn't give Katy a fit?

Who else have you see play THIS year...

No one?

Okay, then how do you know?

When I saw Rice Consolidated play last year I thought they were one of 'the' teams to beat and thought they could hang with a buncha 4A's if put in that game...

They didn't even make it to the semi's....

Hupernikomen
08-29-2004, 12:21 AM
If you would have saw that game last night you would understand. Jasper would have given Katy a fit last night.

supertilley thanks for the props but I think you are going a little overboard here. Sure we hope Jasper gets the monkey off their back this year, but there is no way in Gehenna that we could hang with the likes of Katy. Heck with the way we fumbled the ball around last night Katy's JV probably would have beaten us.

I have seen Katy play a couple of times, and saw North Shore last year in the championship game..those guys are unreal. I believe North Shore could have beat any Jasper team I have ever seen or been a part handily. That is from 86 to the present...they were unbelieveably fast, strong and talented. Heck the Woodlands school they destroyed was tremendous. That big time 5A game is not in the same realm as what we are doing. IMO.

Goldenstick
08-29-2004, 12:44 AM
ok guys you still don't get me. I have been playing football, watching football, coaching football ect. ect. all of my life. If you would have saw that game last night you would understand. Jasper would have given Katy a fit last night. You keep telling me to wait and see what happens in the long run, that it will probably pan out different. So I will. But remember what I said.

That's an over-statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldenstick
08-29-2004, 12:48 AM
The way jasper played last night would destroy any of your 3a teams.

Another over-statement.....No way Jasper could destroy any top 3a team with 12 fumbles!!!!!

SintonFan
08-29-2004, 03:57 AM
The guys who make the polls aren't stupid. I'll give you that. But they are almost accurate. If they were perfect, the consensus no. 1 pick would be state champs every year.
I won't discount your predictions, but you seem to be taking this loss extremely personal.

Take your licks and understand your guys(since you are on the WOS side) will have the upper hand if they meet again. I'm sure it would be an awesome game. I just don't understand a full seasons "smack" from one game. LOL
Maybe I should have made that trip...
;)

GUNHO
08-29-2004, 09:31 AM
[ I just don't understand a full seasons "smack" from one game. LOL
Maybe I should have made that trip...
;) [/B][/QUOTE]

And one of the sloppiest games I've seen for both teams.

WOS Mustang
08-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Supertilley, there is no reason to say all the stuff you have said on this thread. We were not the better team Friday night, period. There is no way around it. And it is way too early to even think about the playoffs, much yet a state championship. Props to Jasper, ya'll have a great team and should have a good year. Good luck to ya'll next week. And as for us, preseason is preseason, it doesn't count. Yes, I wish we would have won, but we didn't, it's over. We have 4 very tough games right in front of us, especially the next 2 against Nederland and Bay City. If we play like we did against Jasper we will be 0-3 in a hurry. But it is not the end of the season. District has not even started yet. But I know 1 thing for sure, whether we are 1-4, 2-3, 3-2, or 4-1, it will make a better team out of us for district play, barring any injuries.

Old Tiger
08-29-2004, 11:06 AM
haha go JASPER! yay

GS#17
08-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Am I the only one who understands what STilley is saying? There's nothing wrong with putting an opinion out there. Disagree if you want, but that's all he's done. To start asking where the logic is in an opinion and arguing over what he believes is pretty silly. Just take it for what it's worth and let it go. My goodness, you'd think a fan could have an opinion on a message board full of opinions!

WOS Mustang
08-29-2004, 11:17 AM
go ahead and laugh, we can take it. Just remember that preseason only counts for the rankings. We are getting better facing tough opponents, and I wish we would totally drop out of the top 10. We don't need that crap to play football.

WOS Mustang
08-29-2004, 11:21 AM
GS, I am not saying he can't have an opinion, I just don't like all the "We will win state" stuff, maybe I should have cleared up what I was talking about. I just don't like saying what we will do, especially when it is as big as winning a state championship and we have not even started district yet!!

GS#17
08-29-2004, 11:22 AM
So be it.

WOS Mustang
08-29-2004, 11:28 AM
If you don't want to understand that no one wants to listen to somebody saying they are going to win state and district has not even started, that's what is pretty silly. I would love for us to win state, but it is too dang early to even say that. Just my opinion, if you do not agree, sorry.

GS#17
08-29-2004, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure where you get that from my post. All I really intended to do was to put out a simple statement just to say let's move forward. No harm or argument meant. :)

Gobbla2001
08-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by GS#17
Am I the only one who understands what STilley is saying? There's nothing wrong with putting an opinion out there. Disagree if you want, but that's all he's done. To start asking where the logic is in an opinion and arguing over what he believes is pretty silly. Just take it for what it's worth and let it go. My goodness, you'd think a fan could have an opinion on a message board full of opinions!

I love opinions, they're what keeps this message board alive...

However, I think it is pretty silly to see only two out of the 200 3A teams play and say they'd whup up the other 199 or however many teams it is, yet again, without seeing them play...

Could Jasper win state? Yah

Could WO-S win state? Yah

Could Gainesville repeat? Yah

Could Sinton beat WO-S in the D1 Semi's? Yah

Could the previous question work if switched around? Yah

Could Sinton win state? Yah

Could Liberty Hill win state? Yah

These are all very talented teams... You can ask Old Green, we'll be at a game or scrimmage and say flat out that Cuero can win state this year, but we never say "Cuero will for sure win state this year!"

Why?

Have we seen Jasper play in '04? No

Have we seen WO-S play in '04? No

Have we seen Gainesville play '04? No

Have we seen Sinton play in '04? No (we will in a few weeks, though)

Have we seen Liberty Hill play in '04? No

GS#17
08-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Fair enough; but, how, then, is what he wrote any different from what DCTF, the AP, or any individual prognosticator has done? As a matter of fact, it's pretty much right in line with what has been already predicted.

j_dog
08-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Good post Gobbla! :)

I too love opinions. I have no problem with people positively promoting their own team. Or even someone else's team. I do have a bit of a problem with the posts that attack the opinions. Staying positive seems so much better to me. :) If a team is over-ranked we will all know it soon enough. If a team is under-ranked we will also soon know that.

Having said that, I think that yes it is premature to be talking about state championships. But, that is just MY opinion. Heck, no one has even won district yet! :cool:

Gobbla2001
08-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
Fair enough; but, how, then, is what he wrote any different from what DCTF, the AP, or any individual prognosticator has done? As a matter of fact, it's pretty much right in line with what has been already predicted.

Predicting a team will 'win state' has nothing to do with it...

He predicted that these teams would not 'beat' every team, but 'whup' every team... Different story...

And my opinion is that the prediction is silly, so I asked his logic...

I understand that my previous reply stated if teams could 'win' state, but that was just an example I guess...

You have to think someone will win state, right? I have no problem with 'that'...

Gasilla
08-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Well, since we are stating opinions... if we began the playoffs right now, WO-S MIGHT make the semi's and no further.

I saw Jasper play last year and they are a MUCH better team now than last year, and seeing how they went to the Semi last year I would say they would make the DII championship.

Right now, WO-S is NOT a championship caliber team, I think the potential is there to get to that point, but not right now. I also do not think we'll go 0-5... 0-3, probably... I think we start district at 2-3 unless we improve by leaps and bounds over the next week.

One more thing, Jasper had 4 extra weeks of practice last year and 4 extra games. You can ask any coach... it makes a difference. It doesn't surprise me that they are WAY ahead of us right now.

Pball
08-29-2004, 09:52 PM
I believe Atlanta won state last year entering district with a 1-4 record. They played a very tough schedule, which helped them get ready for district. It will be the same for all of us as long as we can somehow control the injuries. Sounds like this was a very good game. Congrats to Jasper....

NHSRattler60
08-29-2004, 10:01 PM
out of the hundreds of 3a teams in the state of texas, there is absolutely no way anyone can predict anything at the beginning of the season. You know what, my opinion is Hempstead will win the 3a D1 championship. with a record of 14-1. Thats my opinion, and it wont my feelings at all if anyone diagrees with me.

J-town Hustler
08-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Does anyone know where I could get a complete list of Division I, Division II teams?

PPHSfan
08-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by J-town Hustler
Does anyone know where I could get a complete list of Division I, Division II teams?

No such list will exist until week eleven. Only speculations. You can guarantee yourself a spot in D2 if you are one of the two smallest schools, but that's about it.

PPHSfan
08-29-2004, 11:15 PM
It was a great game. And btw, all of you that keep saying that ranking are important to wo-s because we haven't made the playoffs in a cuple of years, have another thing comming. The way jasper played last night would destroy any of your 3a teams. There o-line blocking is out standing. Clearly jasper deservse to be #1, and by the time district starts Wo-s won't even be ranked. But be ready, because they will be gunning for all of you. With a 5-5 record. Just you wait. The Wo-s coach is a master mind. A very deep playoff run will happen. Like it or not.

That is some pretty funny stuff right there. Jasper has been a Southeast Texas powerhouse for a few years now and they still have not been able to win any further than region. It's laugable to think that while they may have improved over the past year once again, that they would "whup any team in 3A"

I don't know what you mean't by that but I guess you mean that 3a teams are not capable of beating big fast teams that fumble the ball 12 times. Sounds kinda like an insult to me. As far as Jasper is concerned I guess we will just have to see. They have not won it all yet. So far all they have accomplished this year is to fumble the ball a dozen times and still find a way to win against the mighty mustangs.

Ulrich von Lichtenstein
08-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by NHSRattler60
out of the hundreds of 3a teams in the state of texas, there is absolutely no way anyone can predict anything at the beginning of the season. You know what, my opinion is Hempstead will win the 3a D1 championship. with a record of 14-1. Thats my opinion, and it wont my feelings at all if anyone diagrees with me.

Lest you think your humor went unnoticed, NHSRattler60, that's a pretty good one! :clap: :clap:

Hempstead bounces back from a 60-6 loss in Week 0 to win it all! It's the stuff of legends! I love it! You and I can be the first two members of the 3A Down Low Hempstead bandwagon! Go Bobcats! (Isn't that their mascot...?) :D

spiveyrat
08-30-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Gasilla

One more thing, Jasper had 4 extra weeks of practice last year and 4 extra games. You can ask any coach... it makes a difference. It doesn't surprise me that they are WAY ahead of us right now.

That's an interesting observation. I had never thought about that. I'll bet a whole month of extra practice does make a difference.

Gasilla
08-30-2004, 09:13 AM
Spive, the year after we went to the finals, we completely demoralized the teams we scrimmaged (Dayton and Lumberton), both teams that were supposed to be pretty good. We were thinking we were about to make another run, all the while, Hooks was reminding us that we had 6 extra weeks of practice the year before that the teams we were playing did not. Low and behold, the other teams got better and we never did. Our first game we jumped on Ozen 28-7 in the first half and ended up losing 28-32. We wound up 5-5 for the year. What he said is true.

Now... that's not at all saying that Jasper will have a bad year. I think they are headed for great things. It's just that, especially in the first half, they looked way more polished offensively and defensively than we did. The turnovers in the second half for Jasper were a direct result of early season fatigue and the nature of their offense.

On a different subject:

IMO, fumbles are just going to be a necessary evil in that offense. If you look at norms, a good receiver at the highschool level will catch the ball probably 90 % of the time, add in the fatigue factor and that will probably drop to about 80%. Figure that Jasper puts the ball in the air at least one time every play (snap), and probably twice, 50% of the time on the option and swing pass, and you can see where holding on tho the ball will be a problem. Just by the law of averages, the more you put it in the air, the more you will drop it, and it will ALWAYS be worse in the second half. I really like the offense, it is definitely "fast break", but it is also "high risk" and I think that they should also have a more conservative style that they can go to to keep from letting teams back in the game.

Junkyard
08-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Gassilla, not just 4 extra weeks but 8. In the past 2 years Jasper has played 28 games that is 8 extra weeks of practice that the kids on this years team has had, and you are right it makes a big difference. Just look at LaMarque they played 16 games I believe for like 5 years maybe 6 and it makes a big difference. Also the playoff experience makes a big difference in handling big games.

I believe WO-S will get it all together when it really begins to count and make a very deep run into the playoffs and a very good shot at the state title.

spiveyrat
08-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Junkyard
Gassilla, not just 4 extra weeks but 8. In the past 2 years Jasper has played 28 games that is 8 extra weeks of practice that the kids on this years team has had, and you are right it makes a big difference. Just look at LaMarque they played 16 games I believe for like 5 years maybe 6 and it makes a big difference. Also the playoff experience makes a big difference in handling big games.

I believe WO-S will get it all together when it really begins to count and make a very deep run into the playoffs and a very good shot at the state title.

BUT, there are very few kids on this years team that were on the 2002 team. So, for the most part, it probably is more like 4 extra weeks.

Junkyard
08-30-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
BUT, there are very few kids on this years team that were on the 2002 team. So, for the most part, it probably is more like 4 extra weeks.

No Spivey all of them got the full 8 weeks because some were pulled up to play and the entire JV is kept around to continue to workout and even a few Freshmen are brought up to get the playoff experience.

spiveyrat
08-30-2004, 01:42 PM
I know some are, but I also know they didn't pull up the entire freshman class to go on those trips.

JasperDog94
08-30-2004, 02:01 PM
Also consider that our QB Moye was an 8th grader in 2002.

j_dog
08-30-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Junkyard
No Spivey all of them got the full 8 weeks because some were pulled up to play and the entire JV is kept around to continue to workout and even a few Freshmen are brought up to get the playoff experience.
At least two of them were also on the 4a playoff team as freshmen. Patton, for one started two or three playoff games there at the end. I guess that would give them 12 extra weeks of preparation. :)

J-town Hustler
08-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Was the other Freshman we pulled up D'Kendrick?

j_dog
08-30-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by J-town Hustler
Was the other Freshman we pulled up D'Kendrick?
That is right, but I don't think he played as much as Patton. Patton started as a DB. Both were already extremely fast even back then. :)

Junkyard
08-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Gilder had an interception late in the game against Waller.

J-town Hustler
08-30-2004, 09:11 PM
A lot of people had a good game against Waller. Perhaps, everyone, not to offend anyone of course.