PDA

View Full Version : Vernon 15 Springtown 9 Final

jlwttu
08-27-2004, 10:50 PM
Vernon survived 5 turnovers to claw out the win. Bubba Hall had an 90-yard TD run late in the second quarter for the only first half points. Springtown converted 3 Vernon turnovers into 9 third quarter points. Vernon used a long drive that spanned the latter part of the third quarter and part of the fourth to regain the lead and held off a late Springtown drive to claim the victory.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Vernon's offense looked terrible tonight. The line had problems blocking and the QB looked like he didn't know where he was at. If this had been a better team Vernon would have lost this one.

On a positive note, Vernon speed was evident. HB Sparkman broke a 95 yard TD just before half only to have it called back on a penalty...of which I have no idea what that was Vernon then got a 1st and 5 from the 10. The next play the FB Hall goes 90 yards on the same play for the TD.

Vernon's D looked great. Bad news Eric Favors out in the foirst series sp. ankle. Also lost Zamora in the first half. Don't know what his injury was but looked like collar bone.

Those two were going to be key players in Vernon's offense.

jlwttu
08-27-2004, 11:01 PM
I have to agree with Z motion. The Vernon offense did not look good. Their passing game is non-existant. They need to work on that a bunch if they want to go anywhere this year.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-27-2004, 11:10 PM
I agree. Man they need some work. But the defense did look good. So they may have to help the o along until they can get it going.

VERNONLION#1
08-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I agree. Man they need some work. But the defense did look good. So they may have to help the o along until they can get it going.

Update on the injuries #5 out approx. 1 wk., #20 out probably 8 wks., #77 out not sure. He has a broken collar bone. Z we loked terrible on offense and need to get better on D. To many mental errors.

VERNONLION#1
08-27-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by VERNONLION#1
Update on the injuries #5 out approx. 1 wk., #20 out probably 8 wks., #77 out not sure. He has a broken collar bone. Z we loked terrible on offense and need to get better on D. To many mental errors. #20 I heard has a separated AC joint?

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-27-2004, 11:35 PM
I know we need a lot of work in that line. I don't think it would hurt to see #18 at QB. We need a passing game and we don't have one now.

Graham rolled up like 75 points on a team tonight and IP smoked Mineral Wells. We need a lot of work if we want to get the district championship.

After watching tonight I realized that this team this year is not even close to what we had last year.

jlwttu
08-27-2004, 11:41 PM
I only recall Vernon actually throwing 1 pass tonight, which was intercepted. But it is early in the year and non-district is for getting problems like this worked out.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-28-2004, 12:36 AM
Schur also threw a completion to Hall. but he was going to throw it a couple of more times but held it too long and then had to tuck it and run.

VWG
08-28-2004, 10:26 AM
Fellas.... calm down. It's only one game and the Lions will be right in the hunt come district.
Take the win and move on to next week. I am sure Coach Hall and his staff will do their homework and get things worked out in practice. Remember though, the Lions like some other teams, are predominantly run... run... and more running the ball. I would be surprised to see Hall and staff move to more passing.

Heck, Hirschi got blown up by WF High, but I look for the Huskies to improve.
District 5-3A will be tough this year.
4-1 in zero week with Breckenridge, Graham, and Iowa Park all putting up over 30+ on their opponents.
Iowa Park held a 4A playoff team (Mineral Wells) to only 12 pts.
Graham, although reloaded on their offensive line, totally dominated on defense and this will be the Steers strength.
Breckenridge has a junior QB who I think was the district's newcomer of the year last year and the Bucks will be interesting to watch with their spread offense. A convincing win over a good Bridgeport team.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Maybe we are jumping the gun on Vernon, but theyt looked bad last night. No passing game to speak of. The #1 HB goes out with a sp. ankle in the first series, the top returning lineman goes out with I think a collar bone break, the #1 WB goes out with the A/C joint. So Vernon took a beating. The linemen didn't know who to block and the midline was non existant. Vernon's bright spot is that they ran the counters well which sprung two very long runs. I was suprised to see them not running outside more with such an advantage with regards to speed.

Sloppy handling of the ball, bad passing (Inteception). I believe that Schur did complete a pass to Hall but he threw another one deep on a flag route and the receiver ran a post. They just looked down right bad last night.

With the defense that Graham brings to the table, Vernon better get the passing game going.

VWG
08-28-2004, 12:38 PM
to Z- Motion....
Again, only one game. Lions will take that game and learn from it.
I am interested to see how Iowa Park does in their pre-district games. They don't play the strong schedule that Hirschi, Vernon, or Graham play.
They looked good against the MW Rams, which made the playoffs in 4A last year.
I am also interested to see how Hirschi responds on their next game. They got drilled by WF High, but WF High is an extremely good program in 4A. If they can put together a few good wins before district they could make some noise. New HC has his work cut out for him though.

fury900
08-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by jlwttu
I only recall Vernon actually throwing 1 pass tonight, which was intercepted. But it is early in the year and non-district is for getting problems like this worked out.

Vernon

comp/att/int
2 - 4 -1

yards passing 11

yards rushing att 39 - 283