PDA

View Full Version : Olympics Update - August 27, 2004

Phil C
08-27-2004, 10:44 AM
The USA is pulling ahead in total medals now. We have 84 followed by Russia with 60 and then China with 54. The main competition is in the gold where we have 28 and China 25 but hopefully the USA will get some more. The USA women's basketball team faced a great Russian team in the semis and pulled out a tough win 66 to 62. By my system the top teams are as follows:

1. USA with 468 points

2. Russia with 462 points

3. China with 458 points

4. Australia with 344 points

5. Germany with 326 points.

6. Japan with 282 points.

7. France with 230 points.

I think Russia will pull ahead of China in total points and maybe Germany will pass Australia in total points. A big help will be if our men's basketball team can beat Argentina in the semis and hopefully set up a final game with Lithuania for the gold. We will see.

Phil C
08-27-2004, 01:36 PM
1:35 P.M. (9:35 P.M. in Greece)

USA gained another silver metal to have a total of 85 metals. Russian got a bronze and has 61. I am not sure if it is the correct update.

Phil C
08-27-2004, 03:10 PM
3:00 P.M. (11:00 P.M. in Greece)

I don't know if the information from the internet news is accurate but as of right now the top three teams by my system are

1. USA with 706 points

2. Russia with 522 points

3. China with 484 points

A disappointment by our dream team in the quest for the gold. What is alarming is that China got three more medals on us in diving which was expected but also a hurdler race. This means USA has 28 total gold metals to China's 27. Russia has 68 total medals to our 88 so they have gained a little. There are two days left this weekend but I don't think they can catch us. The main thing is can China catch us and pass us in the gold medal count. Some disappointments in USA performance this year was the boxers and dream team and Marian Jones coming in 5th in the high jump. Hope she can do well in the relay. We will see what happens. The day started out good with the USA women's basketball team winning the semis but it seems to have slacked off especially with our disappointing men's loss.

Phil C
08-27-2004, 03:13 PM
I was planning on recording NBC prime time tonight on the olympics tonight but with all these disappointments I think I will just save my tape for tomorrow. Go USA! High School football tonight!! I will be at Sinton vs Taft tonight!!

Phil C
08-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Good news and bad news. I don't know where but USA gained another gold medal in the count and another medal so the count is at 90 in total. We now have two more gold medals than China. We lost one when our ladies relay team with Marion Jones botched up a baton pass and didn't place. They were thinking not only of gold but maybe a gold medal but we played Santa Claus again. Especially to Jamaica who won the event and Russia who got silver and gained a medal on us. Hope our other athletes aren't in early Christmas spirit. And they even had a funny commercial where the women missed up by not having a baton and here we go messing up. Oh well. Keep smiling. :)

Phil C
08-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Poor Marian Jones! A bad day for her. She not only lost the high jump she botched the handoff on the relays and cost the USA a sure gold medal.

3afan
08-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Good news and bad news. I don't know where but USA gained another gold medal in the count and another medal so the count is at 90 in total. We now have two more gold medals than China. We lost one when our ladies relay team with Marion Jones botched up a baton pass and didn't place. They were thinking not only of gold but maybe a gold medal but we played Santa Claus again. Especially to Jamaica who won the event and Russia who got silver and gained a medal on us. Hope our other athletes aren't in early Christmas spirit. And they even had a funny commercial where the women missed up by not having a baton and here we go messing up. Oh well. Keep smiling. :)

hey - why not quite posting results for things that are gonna be on TV tonight .... i already knew 'cause i'm going to a game but others may not !!!!