PDA

View Full Version : Wharton vs. El Campo

LogieJoeBean001
08-27-2004, 10:37 AM
Any thoughts on the matchup? I haven't seen El Campo varsity play yet this year, but Wharton looks ready. I hope to see a good, clean and competitive game.

BULLRUSH
08-27-2004, 11:01 AM
EL Campo looks big and strong. They are a very well coached team. Nevermind that big ol' boy they got toting the mail. He is pretty good.

raider red 2000
08-27-2004, 11:36 AM
i think that this should be a good game. i cant believe that there has not been more trash talk this week. i think that both teams must be prepared and that it will be a godd game. prediction- wharton by 6.

CheerMom
08-27-2004, 11:51 AM
I think this will be a tough game for Wharton. El Campo has a strong team. I pick EC over Wharton by 14.
Go Raiders!!!

bc 76
08-27-2004, 12:05 PM
I will go with El Campo in this one.I think it will be close in the first half ,if Wharton has and advantage it might be in the kicking game the nelson kid is very good,but again Wharton has a problem of trying to play too many kids both ways and it will cost them in the long run. El Campo 24 Wharton 17.

Gobbla2001
08-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Isn't this game kind of a rivalry? I say EC by 3... It could go either way...

Stay injury free and good luck to both teams...

bc 76
08-27-2004, 12:24 PM
I think it is more for Wharton,cause El Campo rivalry is the Bay City Blackcats.

Matthew328
08-27-2004, 12:33 PM
El Campo by 28 they are loaded

raider red 2000
08-27-2004, 12:47 PM
as far as the rivalry goes.....i kinda see it as wharton being a smaller school trying to be a rival....similar to texas tech being a&m's rival. many red raider fans see the a&m game being really big, but aggies look forward to UT.

This game I see as possibly being a problem for EC. The ay are bigger and they are supposed to win. If they win then it isnt a big deal. If they lose then either wharton is really good or Ec is not very good losing to a smaller school.

RiverRatDad
08-27-2004, 01:09 PM
It should be a good ballgame. Wharton will try to work on EC's inexperience at QB, but EC IS loaded and have a strong running game and experienced secondary. The stands will be packed, and I'm hoping for Wharton to upset the Ricebirds.....24-20.

LogieJoeBean001
08-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Best of luck to both teams, but three cheers to the Wharton Varisty, may you continue tonight what the JV started last night. Go Tigers!

Chris Hart
08-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Wharton has trouble stopping the run, and it will be very evident against the RB they will be facing tonight. ElCampo by 3TDs.

RiverRatDad
08-28-2004, 12:15 AM
El Campo 21
Wharton 12

Good, hard-hitting ball game.

BIG19
08-28-2004, 12:20 AM
Wharton will learn from this and will be back. Very early in the season.

LogieJoeBean001
08-28-2004, 06:06 AM
Oh yee of little faith. The Wharton Tigers came to play. The first half was awesome. It was scoreless right up until the final ticks of the clock in the first half. El Campo did not win by 3 or 4 touchdowns, as many were predicting, but only 9 points. Wharton went for two 2 point conversions and missed them both. I would have liked to have seen Nelson try for the pat's. Even though Nelson missed a field goal late in the first half, he possibly could have redeemed himself with the pat's and given himself, and the team, a real boost of confidence. Since this is all about opinions, it is mine that Wharton should never have attempted the field goal and just gone for the touchdown on 4th and goal, ball at the 3 yard line. This would have turned the ball over to El Campo deep in their own territory. Instead El Campo got the ball back at the 20 setting up for their score. Coaching seemed too hungry for points rather than just letting their players play their game. Again, to me this sent a message to the boys that they (the coaches) had a lack of faith in them. There was fine ball playing on both sides. Wharton has nothing to hang their heads about. There's a lot of work Wharton needs to do in the next two weeks. The boys played with determination and heart. Congratulations boys on a game well played. Go get 'em Tigers!

bc 76
08-28-2004, 07:29 AM
It was a good game from both teams lots of hard hitting.I was glad to see the Wharton dc go with some smaller & faster kids on defense good job coach.The thing they need to do now is to play more kids and try to rest some of the starters, if they can do this then i see them making a long playoff run,if not they won't make it past the first round.

BU97
08-28-2004, 08:05 AM
You're right it was a good showing by Wharton. However, when the score is 0-0. You go for the field goal and the lead. Had you really paid attention to the game you would have seen that the first attempt after the touchdown. The ball was snapped over the holders head; he had no option but to pull up and throw the ball. If you think that the coaches had Wharton can't come up with a better fake than that, then you're crazy. When the score is 14-12, it is probably a smart coaching decision to go for two, O Brilliant One. Stick to what you do best. Praise the kids. Trust me, no one wants to win at Wharton more than those coaches.

bc 76
08-28-2004, 12:30 PM
BU97 I really like the way the kids got after it.I know you have read my post about the defense going with smaller & faster kids it will pay off & it showed last night. I felt we should have done this last year but thats ok we made the change. First off all the coaches had a great game plan,secondly i am very proud of the way the kids got after c long,a brown ,c willis we did not back down they came into the game expecting a blow out.I know its hard to lose but i saw alot of great things from this game. The offense will get there but i am most proud of the way the defense played. Lets work hard on special teams the next 2 weeks and lets hope some of these other kids step up and show they want to play so we won't have so many kids going both ways,if we can do this Wharton will be tough to beat come playoff time.

BU97
08-29-2004, 02:03 PM
That is pretty much the way we felt about the game. Our offense was working, negative plays, penalties dropped passes, fumbles killed us, so we're looking at this positively saying that we stopped ourselves. Defense looked good, just gave up a few big plays. The bottom line is that EC has got a good team and this was a good tune up for when the games really count.