PDA

View Full Version : Man sets self on fire

X21AAAPlayer
08-26-2004, 07:02 PM
From Yahoo News:

HOLLYWOOD, FLA. - A man in Florida, distraught at the news his son had been killed in combat in Iraq, set himself ablaze inside a van on Wednesday.

Carlos Arredondo was in hospital on Thursday being treated for burns to more than 50 per cent of his body.

Police and U.S. Marines stand near their burned van. (AP Photo/Miami Herald)
His wife, Melida, said her husband "went crazy" when he learned that Lance Cpl. Alexander Arredondo, who was serving with the Marines in Iraq, had been killed fighting in Najaf.

"Three marines came to our door," said Melida Arredondo. "You could see through the window and my husband immediately knew that his first-born son had been killed."

While the marines were delivering the news, Arredondo went to his garage to get a can of gasoline. He smashed a window in the marines' van, doused the vehicle and set it on fire while he sat inside.

The marines pulled him from the burning vehicle. None of the marines were hurt.

"The gentleman was extremely distraught, basically just broke down," said police Capt. Tony Rode.

Rode said it was too early to discuss whether Arredondo would face any charges.

Hasn't the guy been through enough? I don't believe he should be pressed with any charges...

Ranger Mom
08-26-2004, 07:29 PM
I heard this morning on Good Morning America....that is SO sad!!:(

NHSRattler60
08-26-2004, 07:43 PM
I know that if I lost my firstborn and i was feeling suicidal like him, pressing charges would not be the best way to help me feel better. How do you bring that up?

"Im sorry to hear about your son, and I hope those burns heal, but I need $34,000 for the van you tried to kill yourself in."

Pray for him and leave him alone.

X21AAAPlayer
08-26-2004, 09:29 PM
I agree 100%... His son died for the people who want to press charges.. isn't that payment enough?

GS#17
08-26-2004, 09:43 PM
I completely agree the entire story is tragic and I cannot imagine how terrible that person must've felt to do something like that; however, he doesn't have carte blanche to do anything he wants just because he was distraught. His actions was not only harmful to himself, but it seriously jeopardized the marines who risked their lives to save him from the blaze.

Just as his son "died for the people who want to press charges," he also died for people to live in a fair, just, and lawful society...

Rabbit'93
08-26-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
I completely agree the entire story is tragic and I cannot imagine how terrible that person must've felt to do something like that; however, he doesn't have carte blanche to do anything he wants just because he was distraught. His actions was not only harmful to himself, but it seriously jeopardized the marines who risked their lives to save him from the blaze.

Just as his son "died for the people who want to press charges," he also died for people to live in a fair, just, and lawful society...
Couldn't agree more GS. My sister is there and my entire family is aware of the dangers she faces. I would hope that if something were to happen to her I would act with dignity, just as she does.