PDA

View Full Version : How do you react to this?

District303aPastPlayer
08-26-2004, 08:39 AM
After years and years of tradition, its being changed. This year at Sinton, the girls cheerleaders are unable to wear their Uniforms on Fridays to school, like they have for years and years before. The reason for this, is because their skirts are "not part of the dress code." From what I understand too, they are unable to wear them on friday nights. . . my only comment is simply this.. "WHAT THE HELL?!?!"

Ranger Mom
08-26-2004, 08:46 AM
WHAT??? They are unable to wear them on Friday Nights??

Surely you misunderstood! Our cheerleaders haven't been able to wear their uniforms to school for a while now. Unless they want to have their skirts follow dress code and be no more than 4 inches above the knee.

District303aPastPlayer
08-26-2004, 08:49 AM
they were given wind suit pants and told their skirts arent in dress code, and they cant wear them on school property

CheerMom
08-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Our girls don't wear them to school either. But, I think you must of misunderstood about the Friday night thing. What would they cheer in, sweatpants?

BullFrog Dad
08-26-2004, 08:51 AM
Same thing happened at LW as far as during the day at school but are you saying that your cheerleaders can't wear uniforms to the games? If that's true there's gonna' be some mad parents considering the cost of the uniforms.

District303aPastPlayer
08-26-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by CheerMom
Our girls don't wear them to school either. But, I think you must of misunderstood about the Friday night thing. What would they cheer in, sweatpants?

basically, yes.... they are having a meeting tonight...

CheerMom
08-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Wow, that is unbelievable!!!!

bullfrog_alumni_02
08-26-2004, 08:55 AM
that is by far the dumbest thing i have heard in a long time. why would the school even decide on uniforms that would go against the dress code? i dont know why people have to have so many double standards in life... :thinking:

CheerMom
08-26-2004, 09:02 AM
I think, if my daughter couldn't wear her uniform, she would probably quit the squad. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.

falcons79
08-26-2004, 09:13 AM
This has been going on in huffman for a couple of years, not only to the cheerleaders but also if anyone in athletics shows up at any event and do not meet they dress code they will be in trouble the day at school. They have a new dress code this year that no student can we flip flops to school, but if you pay a dollar you can where them on fridays, what is this teaching our kids, if you have the money you don't have to follow the rules?

pirate4state
08-26-2004, 09:16 AM
I heard that they can wear them Friday night, but they can not wear them to school or the pep rally!! :eek: I can maybe understand the school day, but the pep rally? :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: That is just plain dumb! :hand:

CheerMom
08-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Very dumb, indeed!!!

District303aPastPlayer
08-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I heard that they can wear them Friday night, but they can not wear them to school or the pep rally!! :eek: I can maybe understand the school day, but the pep rally? :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: That is just plain dumb! :hand:
i was told otherwise... that if its not in dresscode, they cant wear it....

Chief Woodman
08-26-2004, 09:33 AM
It is easy to understand. The school board in an effort to keep clothing modest at school passed a code without fully thinking it out, or perhaps they did not forewarn the cheerleaders. If they were forewarned then they apparently thought they would be given a special exemption which in todays world of political correctness is a pipe dream.

Lets put the shoe on the other foot to test for consistancy. If your daughter was not a cheerleader and was sent home for violating the dress code but her skirt is longer than the cheerleaders skirts you would be upset also. If 4 inches above the knee is the rule, it should be the rule for everybody with no sacred groups. Thus, maybe what should have happened is one of two things: Either the code should allow ALL skirts to be as short as the cheerleaders skirts OR the cheerleaders should have ordered longer skirts. ( Now there is a novel idea- those who represent the school most in the public eye follow the rules? Banish the thought!)

Last let me point out something that happened a couple of years ago in Decatur. One Cheerleader in perticular would pull her skirt up as high as she could so it would be as short as possible. Then she would roll down the waistband and the top of her skirt down almost to where you shouldn't be seeing. In effect many times her "skirt" was not much bigger than a small bikini. Naturaly most boys loved it, the boys parents hated it and all the girls moms talked bad about her. Yet the only thing that was done was. well not much. So much for a modest dress code.

Chief Woodman
08-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Oh by the way - according to STATE law- anywhere the school is holding an officail function (i.e. football game) the place where the event is held is considered to be school property. Thus not allowing them to wear the offending skirts at football games would be a strict but correct interpetation of the law.

Ranger Mom
08-26-2004, 09:46 AM
I understand what you are saying Chief!!

Our schoolboard has set down guidelines that the girls can wear their uniforms to the pep rally and the games. Do the uniforms follow dress code? No, they don't. But there has been an exception made.

I don't know anything about how Sinton runs things, but does the Superintendent not have to sign off on the final decision of the uniforms?

My daughter cheered for 3 years and I know how expensive it can be. I would be upset to have spent all that money only to be told they can't wear it!

Thank goodness she got all that out of her system early....the only money I have had to fork out so far is $25.00 for khaki pants!!

CheerMom
08-26-2004, 09:52 AM
If we're talking violation of dress code on school property, what about volleyball and track girl's shorts. They don't conform to our dress code, either, but is part of their uniform. What's the difference?

BullFrog Dad
08-26-2004, 09:59 AM
If we're talking violation of dress code on school property, what about volleyball and track girl's shorts. They don't conform to our dress code, either, but is part of their uniform. What's the difference? Great Point CheerMom, Also another double standard going on is while the students must abide by the dress code at the football game for example, Mom and Dad can attend sporting a thong bikini and speedo while cheering their kid's team!

pirate4state
08-26-2004, 10:07 AM
If we're talking violation of dress code on school property, what about volleyball and track girl's shorts. They don't conform to our dress code, either, but is part of their uniform. What's the difference? EXACTLY!! They wear bloomers -- :eek: what ever happened to shorts?
Originally posted by Chief WoodmanOh by the way - according to STATE law- anywhere the school is holding an officail function (i.e. football game) the place where the event is held is considered to be school property. Thus not allowing them to wear the offending skirts at football games would be a strict but correct interpetation of the law. Well then wouldn't this mean "policing" all of the students attire at the gate? Wouldn't that cause un uproar! :p :clap:

Junkyard
08-26-2004, 10:11 AM
What about away games would you have to follow that schools dress code?

Chief Woodman
08-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Junkyard
What about away games would you have to follow that schools dress code? That is still considered "school " property since it is an officail school function. Meeting at a netural site say in Lubbuck for a Region championship basketball tourney also falls under the rules.

Pirate4state- you are absolutly correct and the difficulty in doing this is why many things are "winked" at.
To me here is the bottom line that I have learned in dealing with 200 plus employees- do not make a rule you do not intened to enforce. If you decide that the enforcement is to bothersome, them remove the rule. If the rule is good but some folks still do not obey it, then accept the problems with enforcement.

This rule applies well to rule you make for your children and to society in genral. For example we have rule against Murder but some folks still do it. That does not mean the law should be done away with, but we must accept the problem of enforcement (Enough police, enough jails, etc.)

pirate4state
08-26-2004, 10:34 AM
I'm all for enforcing the dress code! I'm a young, old fashion person! :D I don't like the clothes the "kids" wear today. The girls are hardly wearing any clothes and some boys are still wearing baggy pants!! Isn't this "style" over?? Geez! I don't understand parents that allow their children to go out in public wearing mid-rift shirts, shorts that barely cover their bottoms or those awful "shirts" that could be worn as underwear!! :mad: I think maybe there is hope on the horizon -- Vogue, Jane and all the other fashion magazines are "reporting" that those type of clothes are "out" and longer (and by longer they mean just above the knee or right at the knee) skirts are "in". But since most of them are tweeds, wool and warmer fabrics maybe it is just for fall/winter and unfortunately we don't have a fall/winter season in South Texas! :( :doh: Okay - I'm off my soap box now! :foul: :D

JasperDog94
08-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
Lets put the shoe on the other foot to test for consistancy. If your daughter was not a cheerleader and was sent home for violating the dress code but her skirt is longer than the cheerleaders skirts you would be upset also. If 4 inches above the knee is the rule, it should be the rule for everybody with no sacred groups. Thus, maybe what should have happened is one of two things: Either the code should allow ALL skirts to be as short as the cheerleaders skirts OR the cheerleaders should have ordered longer skirts. ( Now there is a novel idea- those who represent the school most in the public eye follow the rules? Banish the thought!) I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Ranger Mom
08-26-2004, 11:46 AM
So.....if a school had a policy about no facial hair and hair length can be no longer than the top of ears and the top of the collar (this is for the guys, for those of you who are a little "challenged") - is it fair for the coaches/teachers to have facial hair and hair that is "longer" than the policy??

My kids and my opinion differs on this issue!!

JasperDog94
08-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Students are and should be held to a different standard than teachers. Which side are you on RM?

Ranger Mom
08-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Students are and should be held to a different standard than teachers. Which side are you on RM?

Same as you evidently. The way I look at it, that's a student dress code and not for faculty. I am sure the faculty has a few do's and don'ts they have to follow as well!

JasperDog94
08-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Same as you evidently. The way I look at it, that's a student dress code and not for faculty. I am sure the faculty has a few do's and don'ts they have to follow as well! Oh, I can promise you that they do.

Chief Woodman
08-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
So.....if a school had a policy about no facial hair and hair length can be no longer than the top of ears and the top of the collar (this is for the guys, for those of you who are a little "challenged") - is it fair for the coaches/teachers to have facial hair and hair that is "longer" than the policy??

My kids and my opinion differs on this issue!!

Adults can buy alcohol but minors cannot (teachers can but high school students cannot). I can drive but my 3 year old nephew cannot (Teachers can but students under legal driving age cannot). The rule for 3-4 year olds may be that they have to be in bed by 9 PM. (ask your kids if this rule should applies to them, I'll bet they say no) The list is endless but it is based on a simple premise.

Before saying a rule is unfair be adult enough to understand that not all rules apply to everyone.

After all George Bush has a rule that no one can sleep with his wife....but the rule does not apply to him.:thinking: