PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Updates - August 25, 2004

Phil C
08-25-2004, 10:35 AM
10:30 A.M. (6:30 P.M. in Greece)

As of right now the USA leads in total medals 73 to China's 52 followed by Russia's 48. I think Russia might overtake China in total medals but not the USA. Also the USA leads China in gold medals at 25 to 24. China may get another gold medal in women's diving but USA should get more in track events. After today we are down to the last three days of competition. By my system the point totals are as follows:

1. USA with 594 points

2. China with 440 points

3. Russia with 324 points

4. Australia with 304 points

5. Japan with 274 points

6. Germany with 248 points

7. France with 210 points

Tomorrow our women's basketball team plays probably Russia in the semis. This will be a real test.

Phil C
08-25-2004, 11:15 AM
A couple of events worth watching live tomorrow if you can will be the Men's basketball game with Spain at 6:30 P.M. our time. This is a key game and if USA loses they are out of the medal chase. Also the USA women are playing for the gold against Brazil in Women's soccer at 1 P.M. Brazil is a good team but sometimes they play dirty. Let's hope it is a good clean game but I doubt it. GO USA!

jason
08-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
A couple of events worth watching live tomorrow if you can will be the Men's basketball game with Spain at 6:30 P.M. our time. This is a key game and if USA loses they are out of the medal chase. Also the USA women are playing for the gold against Brazil in Women's soccer at 1 P.M. Brazil is a good team but sometimes they play dirty. Let's hope it is a good clean game but I doubt it. GO USA! they already beat brazil once in this olympics

Phil C
08-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Tough luck for Russia's sprinter Irina Shevchenko in the women's 100 m hurdles. Perdita Felician of Canada was favored to win but she tripped on the first hurdle and fell into Irina causing her to lose stride and be eliminated from the race. You hate to see that kind of thing happen to both runner but it does sometimes happen. Joana Hayes of the USA went on to win in record time. It is a shame though. I feel more sorry for Irina that Perdita though even though it seems sympathy was more for the Canadian. The Russians filed a protest of the race but it was overuled. I don't think that Irina would have got a medal because there were too many ahead of her when she got the hit. Still it is a shame it cost her a chance when she was an innocent victim but I guess that is a risk when you run in the olympics. I have seen it happen before several times and you always hate to see it. In fact I have seen it definitely cost runners a medal.

spiveyrat
08-25-2004, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I saw that race. I really felt for the Russian. She was VERY visably upset!

Phil C
08-25-2004, 01:59 PM
I know what you mean Spivy but from what I saw during the replay I don't think she was in contention for a medal. What did you think?

Phil C
08-25-2004, 02:26 PM
2:20 P.M. (10:20 P.M. in Greece)

Some changes in total medals. USA still leads with 75 with Russia passing China with 53 to China's 52. The USA still leads in overall gold with 25 to China's 24 but China has a few more events such as women's diving where they might get a few more so hopefully the USA can match them. I don't think anyone is going to catch the USA in total or on my system but I think Russia may make a run in track and field and pass China. Right now by my system the following are points for each country.

1. USA with 550 points

2. China with 440 points

3. Russia with 408 points

4. Australia with 330 points

5. Japan with 282 points

6. Germany with 256 points

7. France with 210 points and the rest of the World follows

Ray_BearKat
08-25-2004, 08:55 PM
Phil, did you watch the mens volleyball game...ended in controversy. Giving people more reason to boo us.

sahen
08-25-2004, 10:00 PM
well iw as gonna say this ont eh 23rd's update buti couldnt find that date after extensive looking....1 of the gold medals belongs to Jeremy Wariner who is a Baylor Bear! He won the 400m....anyways hopefully baylor will get 2 more for the U.S. when the 4X400m relay is ran...Go USA and Sic'em Bears!

PhiI C
08-25-2004, 11:16 PM
Hey Ray I missed the volleyball game. What happened?