PDA

View Full Version : Cuero's Cooper Out for Season

crabman
08-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Cuero's Latrael Cooper is out for the season. He was the Victoria Advocates Newcomer of the Year last year as a sophomore. He was expected to be an integral part of Cuero's offense this year. On the first play of the first team offense against Gregory Portland, he went wide on a sweep. Two guys came in and stood him up and a third hit him low. The result is a torn ACL. Torn cartilage and a torn ligament on the outside of his knee. He is looking at reconstructive surgery and a lengthy rehab. He might be ready for track season. His best 100 meters last year was 10.62. Not bad for a sophomore.
I really feel sorry for Latrael. He is just one of the best kids you would ever want to meet and was working his butt off. He was academic all district last year. He reported this year at 6'2" 200 lbs. He was going to be something special.
You can feel sorry for Latrael but don't feel sorry for the Gobblers. We still have one of the best offensive lines in the Region. One of the best quarterbacks. One of the best secondaries, and four backup tailbacks that are pretty fair ballplayers in their own right. We might miss a step for a couple of weeks but we will be right there in the end.
If any of you happen to see Latrael at a game, make sure and give him a kind word. He could use it about now.

RBARKER
08-25-2004, 08:46 AM
That horrible, good luck to him on his recovery. I have read on here before that GP sometimes plays dirty I hope this wasn't Intentional.

CheerMom
08-25-2004, 08:46 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. It is so hard when injuries like this happen. He will be in my prayers!!
Good Luck to the Gobblers against West Oso this week!
Go Raiders!!!

underware
08-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Good luck to Mr. Cooper. Hope his recovery time is short and painless. Look forward to seeing him next year.

JasperDog94
08-25-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by RBARKER
That horrible, good luck to him on his recovery. I have read on here before that GP sometimes plays dirty I hope this wasn't Intentional. I've heard the same thing. GP games tend to end in injury for some unknown reason. I hope this isn't an indication of how they play ball.

Prayers for a speedy recovery for Cooper.

Chris Hart
08-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Here's wishing Latrael a speedy recovery!

Phil C
08-25-2004, 10:25 AM
I hope he has a speedy recovery. I am sorry to hear about that news. I have been hoping Sinton would drop G-P from their schedule for the past two years but we still have them on. For the past two years we have had bad injuries in that game which has hurt us. I wish Sinton would drop them and Cuero should drop them from the scrimmage. We play them next week and I am more worried about getting out of the game without injuries than winning. A sad commit to have to make.

District303aPastPlayer
08-25-2004, 10:30 AM
if you ask OldGreen and Gobbla2k1... you could hear "cut him" being yelled from the field when cuero had the ball....

44INAROW
08-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
if you ask OldGreen and Gobbla2k1... you could hear "cut him" being yelled from the field when cuero had the ball....

who knows if it was intentional or not, I hope it was not but I am a firm believer in "what comes around, goes around" & "that which separates and divides, only makes us stronger"

Go Gobblers!

Phil C
08-25-2004, 11:48 AM
It sure is a coincident 4. I can see it happening once in a while but when it happens more than once you tend to take note.

G-P King
08-25-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I hope he has a speedy recovery. I am sorry to hear about that news. I have been hoping Sinton would drop G-P from their schedule for the past two years but we still have them on. For the past two years we have had bad injuries in that game which has hurt us. I wish Sinton would drop them and Cuero should drop them from the scrimmage. We play them next week and I am more worried about getting out of the game without injuries than winning. A sad commit to have to make. Oh my god phil of all people I thought you would be the one to defend G-P's honnor. I take great offence to the remarks about G-P. We are not a team that stands up opposing players and hits them! In fact we are usually the team that gets plauged with injurys. This is a bunch of hoopla and expect it to stop. Football is a contact sport. G-P is a phisical hard hitting team, thus the injurys. I pearsonaly was sorry to see Latrell Cooper get hurt. The boy ran to the sideline to avid being sacked and our linebacker was there to meet him! It was clean hit and a good pop. I am sorry that the boy got hurt, But can not believe that one good hit deserves a bashing of G-P.

G-P King
08-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
It sure is a coincident 4. I can see it happening once in a while but when it happens more than once you tend to take note. Once again I am in awwww of the G-P bashing going on! G-P lost our would be three year starter Brad Darwent "Unanimous 1st team all district, all south texas and all metro Defensive MVP 31-4a". To a double seperated shoulder in the Ray scrimmage. yes he got hit, but G-P fans didnt say that it was intentional and start bashing the integrety of a program. Dont know why so many bad things have been said about G-P and the kids over here. From the begining of 7th grade Kids want to win and are taught to hit.

JasperDog94
08-25-2004, 01:11 PM
I can only speak for myself when I say I don't blame the kids. If this is a consistant problem, then maybe it's the coaches. Notice I'm saying maybe. I wasn't there, but when the number of injuries start to add up when playing the same team, it's bound to turn some heads.

Phil C
08-25-2004, 01:31 PM
I have known Coach Harris of G-P for years and don't believe that he would have anything to do with it or put up with any of the coaches who would. To me that is inconceivable. And if you read my post more carefully G-P King I never referred to cheap shots or dirty play. Please reread my posts. I am saying there is a big rivalry and that us being 3A have no business playing a 4A team especailly with injuries that have occurred to us during the last two G-P Games. I have never said dirty play or foul because in fact I know Coach Harris would never condone it. In fact I heard that is why 2A Refugio dropped us because of injuries they kept having during the game. 3A has no business playing 4A teams especially with close geographic locations in my opinion.

Phil C
08-25-2004, 01:52 PM
If you read any thread in the past I have always said that I wished Sinton would drop G-P from the schedule because of the injuries that have happened during that game the past two years to us that hurt the team. I never laid any blame on the G-P players or coaches who are first class. I just don't think 3A has any business playing 4A but that is just my opinion. I don't know why 2A Taft is willing to play us in 3A except for the fact that it is one of the longest rivalries in the state. I probably didn't make that clear enough in my prior posts but I hope this clears it up. I was NOT at the G-P vs Cuero scrimmage so I don't know how the injury happened. What I meant is that Cuero is 3A and should not even be scrimmaging a 4A school. That is really what I meant and I apologize for not being clear but my coincidence means 3A against a 4A school. I didn't even like it for Sinton to scrimmage 4A Kingsville this past weekend.

G-P King
08-25-2004, 03:30 PM
G-P is a scrapy team and always plays with a lot of heart. We are not a dirty playing team nor does G-P try to hurt and players on the opposing team. Good hits and blocks do happen. Sometimes players do get hit hard and this is just the way the game works! Dont Bash G-P for being aggresive. Our players get hurt too!

Phil C
08-25-2004, 04:28 PM
When I was living at Portland and had G-P season tickets in '79 one of the saddest things was when Calleb Browning (?) hurt his shoulder. I think he had to give up his football career. He was on the junior varsity but he would have been a good player.

Gobbla2001
08-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Sad day for Cuero, but I'm even more sad for Coop...

Cuero will be fine...

They may not be able to play WITH Coop, but I can bet you that they'll play FOR him...

He's gunna be super ready for next season to roll around...

G-P King
08-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Phil C: "I wasn't intending to bash G-P and I know Coach Harris personally and know he wouldn't condone dirty play. What I meant was that teams should play teams of their class. If I was at a 1A school I wouldn't want to play a 2A school."

I would play better teams to better my program! G-P plays Carroll every year"Battle of the Bridge". The players get to go up against faster and bigger players that they wouldnt see in games of the same classification!

I tore my ACL my senior year and missed only 3 games. Is it cause of the Muscle tissue dammage that he will not be able to rehab.

Gp83
08-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Some of you guys crack me up. If you can't hang with the big dogs then stay off the porch. That Cooper hit happened right in front of me. First of all, it was not a cheap hit. Second of all, I never heard a coach yell cut, cut! Nor did Old Green or Gobbla complain to me they heard cut after the game. Now I did hear a coach yell cut when OUR RB was running EAST WEST and the coach was trying to get him NORTH SOUTH. Some of you guys have way to much time on your hands. Do you really believe Gp coach's would want to ruin a Cuero players season or career over a scrimmage? Get real guys. Don't schedual us next year if you believe that crap. I could care less if we played Sinton or not. I would rather play a power 5A team anyways.

Gobbla2001
08-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
Some of you guys crack me up. If you can't hang with the big dogs then stay off the porch. That Cooper hit happened right in front of me. First of all, it was not a cheap hit. Second of all, I never heard a coach yell cut, cut! Nor did Old Green or Gobbla complain to me they heard cut after the game. Now I did hear a coach yell cut when OUR RB was running EAST WEST and the coach was trying to get him NORTH SOUTH. Some of you guys have way to much time on your hands. Do you really believe Gp coach's would want to ruin a Cuero players season or career over a scrimmage? Get real guys. Don't schedual us next year if you believe that crap. I could care less if we played Sinton or not. I would rather play a power 5A team anyways.

I actually DID hear 'cut him' when we were on offense...

May have just meant "Dive at him because you cannot hit him straight up because you'll miss", heck if I know...

I don't believe your coaches want to ruin a player's season/career either... I didn't bring it up because I know that...

Who do you have this week?

SintonFan
08-26-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I actually DID hear 'cut him' when we were on offense...

May have just meant "Dive at him because you cannot hit him straight up because you'll miss", heck if I know...

I don't believe your coaches want to ruin a player's season/career either... I didn't bring it up because I know that...

Who do you have this week?
GP is up 14-0 to the 5A power
King Mustangs in the second quarter. A 75 yrd interception runback and a 38 yard scamper by Davis.
Gp83, does being 4A make you a "big boy"? Didn't Sinton beat you recently?
LOL

BrahmaMom
08-26-2004, 08:04 PM
To Cuero: this young man and his family need the support and prayers of the whole town; having been through having a son with an ACL tear and reconstruction, it is like a death, believe it or not. The rehab is awful, the feelings of helplessness and loss are awful. I know you won't let them down. To sophomore Cooper: I promise there is a light at the end of the long, dark tunnel. Sweetie, you are a sophomore with two more seasons ahead of you. Sounds like you are a trooper and a fine young man. This will build character like you wouldn't believe. You will recover in time for track if everything goes well. My son tore his ACL the first game of his senior year, rehabbed hard with some complications, and was able to run track and throw the discus the next spring. The first time back on the field is scary. The scar tissue tearing loose hurts and you think you've re-injured yourself and it is terrifying. But Cuero loves their football players, and you will have a ton of support that you will probably never experience ever again in your life. Find someone who has "been there" to help you through. My son redshirted his first year at a Division I-A college and will be on the field this season, his second year. My prayers and heart go out to you. I hope we at 3ADL are kept updated on your progress. God bless.

Gobbla2001
08-26-2004, 08:10 PM
Those are very kind words, BM, I'm sure LaTrael appreciates them...

I do not know the kid personally, but everyone I talk to says that he's a very good kid...

He is a junior though... But I like the way you're thinking (having hum for two more years would be awesome ha ;) )...

Gp83
08-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
GP is up 14-0 to the 5A power
King Mustangs in the second quarter. A 75 yrd interception runback and a 38 yard scamper by Davis.
Gp83, does being 4A make you a "big boy"? Didn't Sinton beat you recently?
LOL

Yes you beat us two years ago in the Fumble Bowl. Sinton's first ever win against Gp. Won't happen again for another 40 years. It was a 41 yard scamper. Not bad for a three round 5A school from last years playoffs. We always start off slow then go deep into the playoffs...just as we did 2 years ago when Sinton won Fumble Bowl and Gp went to the final 4.

To answer your question...yes Gp is a BIG BOY.

Gp83
08-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Those are very kind words, BM, I'm sure LaTrael appreciates them...

I do not know the kid personally, but everyone I talk to says that he's a very good kid...

He is a junior though... But I like the way you're thinking (having hum for two more years would be awesome ha ;) )...

Gp KING and I were the 1st to tell Old Green and you we were sorry for ya'lls loss. We hate to see anyone injured. I truelly hope he can make it back by the playoffs. What happened is not Gp football. Gp is playing CC King as I speak...1st half Gp-14 King-0 and no one is hurt.

District303aPastPlayer
08-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Yes you beat us two years ago in the Fumble Bowl. Sinton's first ever win against Gp. Won't happen again for another 40 years. It was a 41 yard scamper. Not bad for a three round 5A school from last years playoffs. We always start off slow then go deep into the playoffs...just as we did 2 years ago when Sinton won Fumble Bowl and Gp went to the final 4.

To answer your question...yes Gp is a BIG BOY.

do you hear that... it sounds like excuses for a 4a team losing to a 3a team.... GP Lost, Sinton Won... end of story..

Gp83
08-26-2004, 08:43 PM
do you hear that... it sounds like excuses for a 4a team losing to a 3a team.... GP Lost, Sinton Won... end of story..

What was last years score? THE END

SintonFan
08-26-2004, 09:37 PM
I hear ya D303PP! You see? It was only THE FUMBLE BOWL! Sinton didn't really win, ya know?;) These guys just love to give credit to their own team for losses...:rolleyes:
God forbid the lowly sinton pirates actually ever beat us! :thinking:

SintonFan
08-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Gp KING and I were the 1st to tell Old Green and you we were sorry for ya'lls loss. We hate to see anyone injured. I truelly hope he can make it back by the playoffs. What happened is not Gp football. Gp is playing CC King as I speak...1st half Gp-14 King-0 and no one is hurt.
Final score 28-6 GP. King scored with their second team late fourth quarter on the second team Wildcat defense.
Congrats GP!:clap:
BTW, Happy Birthday to Mrs. Harris!
I hope you had a great Birthday!:) :cool: :)

Gp83
08-26-2004, 09:41 PM
I hear ya D303PP! You see? It was only THE FUMBLE BOWL! Sinton didn't really win, ya know?;) These guys just love to give credit to their own team for losses...:rolleyes:
God forbid the lowly sinton pirates actually ever beat us! :thinking:

Good point. Gp semi finals that year where as Sinton made it to the Regional finals in 3A. Gp has a 30 (?) & 1 record against Sinton through the years. Pretty even heh? Schedual Skidmore next year instead of Gp.

Gp83
08-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Final score 28-6 GP. King scored with their second team late fourth quarter on the second team Wildcat defense.
Congrats GP!:clap:
BTW, Happy Birthday to Mrs. Harris!
I hope you had a great Birthday!:) :cool: :)

You forgot to mention Gp had their second team in.

SintonFan
08-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Good point. Gp semi finals that year where as Sinton made it to the Regional finals in 3A. Gp has a 30 (?) & 1 record against Sinton through the years. Pretty even heh? Schedual Skidmore next year instead of Gp.
30-1(I'll give you that ack! ack! ) and yet we really didn't beat your team two years ago, right?:rolleyes:
The fumbles lost the game!:hand:

SintonFan
08-26-2004, 09:47 PM
You forgot to mention Gp had their second team in.
Reread it dude.:D

JasperDog94
08-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Reread it dude.:D I had to go back and reread it myself aftre GPs post.;)

SintonFan
08-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I had to go back and reread it myself aftre GPs post.;)
I'm sorry.:o It was a blatant non-use of smilies...:o
Please forgive me, I didn't mean to stink it up. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/spezial/Fool/fart.gif
LOL

SintonFan
08-26-2004, 10:47 PM
I'm sorry.:o It was a blatant non-use of smilies...:o
Please forgive me, I didn't mean to stink it up. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/spezial/Fool/fart.gif
LOL
Anything non-Cooper related between Sinton-GP needs to go to the thread " Continuation of Sinton NOT Beating GP and other Sinton-GP topics...;)."

BrahmaMom
08-27-2004, 07:05 AM
Sorry La Trael, I thought the first post said you were a sophomore. I truly hope there isn't a return to the field THIS year if surgery and reconstruction are required. My son was torn, too, about returning when we made it to the semi-finals that year. But the Head Coach of the college that recruited and signed him said, "Ya know, you had a great high school career. We don't care if you play in high school that one last game or not. But your timing is going to be off and do you really want to go in and possibly hurt your team and be remembered for that or playing healthy and doing so well." My son chose to do the more difficult thing and stand on the sidelines. Our doctor helped, by saying it would be against medical advice but he understood if he just had to play in the play-offs. It is 12 weeks post-op before the graft establishes a blood flow. It's possible to return at 16 weeks post-op, and he iddn't have surgery till Sept 18, so it may be possible to play the last few games if you have surgery immediately. My son was 5 weeks ahead of schedule in his rehab; and still wouldn't have been able to contribute well on the field in late Nov-early Dec. Vote for your whole career, and Cuero, please vote for the RIGHT thing in this young man's life. Don't push him beyond his limits medically. Psychologically, this is known as one of the most devastating injuries and recoveries. Please, please support him to get ready for NEXT year. God Bless.

Gp83
08-27-2004, 07:11 AM
Gp-28

King-6

No King players hurt. :thinking: