PDA

View Full Version : DMN 3A Countdown: No.1 Gainesville

KTJ
08-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Class 3A football countdown: No. 1 Gainesville

Championship repeat may depend on Purvey having another great season

10:32 PM CDT on Monday, August 23, 2004

By MATT JACOB / The Dallas Morning News

From his team's first meeting of the season, Gainesville coach Jeff Cordell has stressed one imperative: Do not dwell on the past. More than anything, he wants his players to forget about last season's run to the Class 3A Division I title and 15-0 record.

It's a new year, Cordell reminds his team, one in which everyone in Texas starts from scratch. And he's quick to add that includes Gainesville – no matter what prognosticators and the town's football faithful are saying.
High Schools

"The scuttlebutt is all about how Gainesville is supposed to win it all again," Cordell said, "but it's not something we want to get caught up in. Even though there are faces on this team that won a state title last year, the team as a whole has a totally different makeup."

Gainesville lost 22 lettermen from last season and returns only five starters. Cordell still believes this team has the right mixture of athleticism and experience to make another title run.

Headlining the list of returnees is senior running back Terrius Purvey, who rushed for 2,004 yards, tacked on another 108 yards receiving and had 33 touchdowns last season.

The expectations are high for Purvey, the featured runner in Gainesville's spread offense, to duplicate his efforts of 2003. He hopes to be an example for his teammates to emulate.

"Everyone really looks up at me, and they're going to follow me whatever I do," Purvey said.

Defensively, two starters return from a unit that allowed 190.3 yards and 8.9 points per game. Junior linebacker Jeremy Franklin has 4.6-second speed in the 40-yard dash and made a team-leading 125 tackles in 2003. Lineman Clint Stoffels will benefit from the playing time he saw last season, and defensive back Jerome Hewitt is strong in the secondary.

What remains an unknown is how Travis Sutton will take to being Gainesville's starting quarterback. Sutton was a third-string player last season. But Cordell said the offensive line is one of the best Gainesville has had in his five years with the team and should provide adequate protection.

E-mail mjacob@dallasnews.com

FAST FACTS

Nickname: Leopards

District: 6-3A

Coach: Jeff Cordell

Last season: 15-0, 6-0 in district; won Class 3A Division I state title, defeating Burnet, 35-24

THE SKINNY

STRENGTH

Speed: Quickness at every position will catch opponents off guard.

WEAKNESS

Experience: 22 lettermen graduated, and only five starters return.

BIGGEST GAME

vs. Forney, Sept. 17: Rematch of last season's state quarterfinal won by Gainesville, 24-21.

DID YOU KNOW?

Gainesville's state title and 15-0 record came in Jeff Cordell's first season as a head coach.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

RB Terrius Purvey, 6-1, 185, Sr.: Accounted for 37 percent of team's yardage in '03.

LB Jeremy Franklin, 6-1, 190, Jr.: One of two returning starters on defense.

DL Clint Stoffels, 6-0, 225, Jr.: Speedy player will make rushing a tough task.

RB/DB Jerome Hewitt, 5-7, 150, Sr.: Athleticism will be critical on both sides of ball.

OL/DL Jeramey Hinkle, 6-2, 245, Jr.: Size, speed (5.1) make for good combination.

STATISTICS

Points per game: 40.1

Rush yards per game: 243.3

Pass yards per game: 137.3

Points allowed per game: 8.9

Rush yards allowed per game: 112.7

Pass yards allowed per game: 77.6

RETURNING LEADERS
RUSHING
Name Att. Yds. TDs
Terrius Purvey 220 2,004 32
PASSING
Name C-A-I Yds. TD
Travis Sutton 5-9-0 45 0
RECEIVING
Name No. Yds. TD
Terrius Purvey 9 108 1
TACKLES INTS.
Name No. Name No.
Jeremy Franklin 125 Jeremy Franklin 1
Jerome Hewitt

Dallas Morning News 3A Countdown

1.) Gainesville
2.) Kennedale
3.) Celina (2A)
4.) Quinlan Ford
5.) Pilot Point
6.) Italy (2A)
7.) Crandall
8.) Commerce
9.) Royse City
10.) Wilmer-Hutchins

kaorder1999
08-24-2004, 12:01 PM
how far is gainesville from dallas....i cant get mapquest to pull up on my computer

KTJ
08-24-2004, 12:10 PM
About 45 minutes from Dallas.

About 55 min from Dallas proper.

It now takes 20 minutes to get to Denton, since Denton is growing to the north.

And it's about 35 minutes to Lewisville/Frisco area.

**And yes, technically it's 65 miles to Dallas.

spiveyrat
08-24-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm just guessing here... I'd say about 60-70 miles.

spiveyrat
08-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Go here for Distance (http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?ed=xTowJeV.wimQQVd6MsEKU7USFw--&csz=gainesville%2C+tx&country=us&tcsz=dallas%2C+tx&tcountry=us&oerr=3005)

Keith7
08-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
About 45 minutes from Dallas.

About 55 min from Dallas proper.

It now takes 20 minutes to get to Denton, since Denton is growing to the north.

And it's about 35 minutes to Lewisville/Frisco area.

**And yes, technically it's 65 miles to Dallas.

you must speed

j_dog
08-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Gainesville sounds tough! They rightfully should be ranked number 1 until someone knocks them off. :)

kaorder1999
08-24-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
Gainesville sounds tough! They rightfully should be ranked number 1 until someone knocks them off. :)

i agree...they are returning possibly the best back in 3A also. there is no reason why they shouldnt be number 1

KTJ
08-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
you must speed

nope, i go 75 just like everyone else. :D