PDA

View Full Version : Jasper vs. WO-S: Too much hype??

kaybee1527
08-24-2004, 10:49 AM
Hey this is my first post...Love the site, read you guys stuff and its entertaining. There is alot of posts about Jasper and WOS. Is this game getting too much hype? Personally, I dont think so. Any time you get 2 top tanked teams in pre season that is big time. I even heard that this is #1 must see game for regular season: 4a and 5a included don't know how true that is though. I just wish they both could get a game or two under their belt first...it could get sloppy with it being the first game and all. But I know that some people not from the golden triangle may think this game doesnt deserve the hype. Trying to find out what everybody thinks. Welcome me to the site with your opinions!

kaybee1527
08-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Also, has the Beaumont Enterprise put out its High School Preview yet?...Also...if you take time to view my thread take a min to reply...Like to hear what you got to say:)

Hupernikomen
08-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Actually I have seen very little hype over this game. I think that both teams know what to expect and realize that talk is just talk. Honestly no telling what will happen in this game with it being the first game. Could go either way or could be ugly. Jasper doesn't seem to be hitting on all cylinders yet so I am just hoping we make a game of it.

Cameronbystander
08-24-2004, 11:01 AM
What about 2a? This first week has a dandy there. Rosebud-Lott versus Rogers. If I am not mistaken, Rogers is rated #1 in the state and Rosebud-Lott has been very good the last few years (state champion two years ago).

It may not be Jasper - WOS but it should be an interesting game.

Ranger Mom
08-24-2004, 11:46 AM
I like the hype!! It makes it that much more interesting for us to keep up with!!

Since I don't have a game to watch Friday night, I have decided to just stay home and watch the boards.

If anyone would like to call updates in to me to post, that would be fine with me!

Old Green
08-24-2004, 11:58 AM
I like the hype and I don't think it has been too much.

This doesn't happen too often when the #1 and #2 meet in the season opener.:)

spiveyrat
08-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Beaumont Enterprise Article (http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12757994&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512556&rfi=6)

Not too much hype in the article. I hope they run more articles about the game this week. It would be a travesty to ignore this HUGE matchup.

But IMHO, they always seem to fall short. We'll see...

WOS Mustang
08-24-2004, 12:36 PM
I think one other game that could be considered bigger across the state is 4A #3 ranked Bay City Blackcats against 4A #4 ranked LaMarque Cougars. The game is at LaMarque, I believe, and LaMarque has something to prove after being the 16-0 DII 4A state champions last year and starting the year ranked right behind Bay City. If memory serves me right, these two scrimmaged last year and LaMarque won like 42-35. It should be a dandy, I wouldn't mind watching it but I can't miss my Mustangs!!!!

j_dog
08-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
I like the hype and I don't think it has been too much.

This doesn't happen too often when the #1 and #2 meet in the season opener.:)
I agree. But this game is much more than just #1 and #2. These two teams have played some barn burners. Even if both teams were unranked it would be a big game for SE Texas. WOS has a wide lead in the games won and lost, but most of the games have been close, usually decided late in the game. Jasper has gotten their licks in often enough that I think the WOS respect for the Jasper program is genuine. And I know the Jasper respect for the WOS program is genuine. Win or lose, Friday night I expect to see a great game. :)

Chris Hart
08-24-2004, 01:11 PM
I don't think any game in Texas High School football can be hyped too much. #1 vs. #2 deserves some recognition, and it's a game I would love to attend, if I wasn't watching a team more worthy of the hype:D .jk It should be a great game, but the reality is this, it's the first game of the season for both teams and it doesn't mean squat other than bragging rights. However, if they was to meet in the playoffs, then it would be considered big time stuff. I personally hate it when two highly ranked teams must meet, before they both get the kinks out, both teams will be nowhere close to where they will be come season's end. I know it's a rivalry game and very important to the Jasper and WOS fans, but no matter who wins, it will mean zilch to the overall success of either team. I hope it's a well played game with no injuries to either team. BTW, Did I say, Go Jasper?:)

kaybee1527
08-24-2004, 01:38 PM
What do u guys think will happen with the polls after the game. WOS win, of course they stay at #1, but what about Jasper? Do they fall from #2 to around 4 or 5? And what if Jasper wins, do they get the #1 automatically and WOS #2 or does a lost put them around #3 or 4. We will assume everybody else in top ten wins thier games. Cause I dont think any other top teams play each other...correct me if on wrong on that

spiveyrat
08-24-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by WOS Mustang
I think one other game that could be considered bigger across the state is 4A #3 ranked Bay City Blackcats against 4A #4 ranked LaMarque Cougars. The game is at LaMarque, I believe, and LaMarque has something to prove after being the 16-0 DII 4A state champions last year and starting the year ranked right behind Bay City. If memory serves me right, these two scrimmaged last year and LaMarque won like 42-35. It should be a dandy, I wouldn't mind watching it but I can't miss my Mustangs!!!!

I was unaware of that one. That ought to be a great one!

spiveyrat
08-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by kaybee1527
What do u guys think will happen with the polls after the game. WOS win, of course they stay at #1, but what about Jasper? Do they fall from #2 to around 4 or 5? And what if Jasper wins, do they get the #1 automatically and WOS #2 or does a lost put them around #3 or 4. We will assume everybody else in top ten wins thier games. Cause I dont think any other top teams play each other...correct me if on wrong on that

No matter which way it goes, I'd like to see Jasper fall to about #15 or #20 and get that target off our back!

j_dog
08-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
No matter which way it goes, I'd like to see Jasper fall to about #15 or #20 and get that target off our back!
In reality, Jasper has had the target on their backs since the early 80's. Ditto for WOS. If you are winning year after year, folks will get up for you. :) That is not necessarily bad. It is all in how you respond, and I think both teams have responded well.

kepdawg
08-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by kaybee1527

The winner will be #1. If it is close, the loser will be around #5. If it's not too close, the loser will be 7-10.

Supertilley
08-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Are the calling for standing room only in Mustang stadium yet? I really don't have anything to worrie about, I got season tickets. That place gets so loud.

Stanley
08-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Jasper and WO-S are playing each other because they'll both get better by doing so.

WOS1
08-25-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
The winner will be #1. If it is close, the loser will be around #5. If it's not too close, the loser will be 7-10.

I agree...

D. R. Hooks
08-25-2004, 03:55 PM
When West Orange Stark dropped down from 5A to 4A in 1986, my thoughts immediately turned to Jasper. The Bulldogs were the unchallenged 4A powerhouse of East and Southeast Texas After finishing 1985 as the #4 ranked team in Class 5A, WOS was given a pre-season #1 ranking in our first season in 4A.

Jasper and WOS were both in the Top 5 when we played each other for the first time in school history about 4 games into the season. WOS knew the game would be tough, but never doubted who would win the game. Jasper saw us as newcomers treading on their 4A turf.

Jasper came to Mustang stadium and bolted out to a 14-0 halftime lead. The Mustang's only TD in the 21-8 loss came on a tipped pass late after the game was decided. WOS was humiliated. WOS and Jasper later met in the 4A playoffs, and after overcoming three 1st quarter turnovers, WOS won a close one. Two more wins later, and we were state champs. Even the state championships games weren't as difficult as the Jasper games.

The next year was GS#17's famous 26 yard field goal in the 3-0 game at Jasper.

After the first, WOS vs Jasper was an instant rivalry. I consider Jasper to be our biggest rival because of the mutual respect, and because half of the games in the series have occurred during the playoffs, and the winner knows that often too the next playoff game will be against at easier opponent.

This game can't be hyped enough...Here we come!:

http://www.kogt.com/pow/warnell_999.GIF

WOS1
08-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Whoa... Hooks, where did you get that pic?? It's a classic!! Isn't that Adrian Steen?? You went waaaayyyy back for that one.

j_dog
08-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by D. R. Hooks
Jasper and WOS were both in the Top 5 ...
Jasper came to Mustang stadium and bolted out to a 14-0 halftime lead. The Mustang's only TD in the 21-8 loss came on a tipped pass late after the game was decided. WOS was humiliated. WOS and Jasper later met in the 4A playoffs, and after overcoming three 1st quarter turnovers, WOS won a close one. Two more wins later, and we were state champs. Even the state championships games weren't as difficult as the Jasper games.

This game can't be hyped enough...Here we come!

DR that was a good summary of the WOS/Jasper rivalry. Does this mean that Jasper won't be able to sneak up on WOS this year? ;) :p

GUNHO
08-26-2004, 07:47 AM
This is really going to be a war,it always is.No matter the outcome,come playoff time these two teams wii be much improved from what we will see Friday night.

Old Cardinal
08-26-2004, 08:50 AM
I think that this game is going to be interesting and exciting. Right now they are tied for # 1, in my opinion. It could go either way but I give a slight nod to WO-S. I will say this, with Cornel Thompson back on the staff for WO-S as the Defensive Coordinator this game will give him the chance to see the Bulldogs up close. I will give WO-S the nod right now for when they meet next time in this seasons playoffs. Cornel Thompson is a genius at picking-you-apart and overall strategic game planning. Again this is a very huge game for all 3A football followers to watch. I give the nod for WO-S to prevail over Jasper in the playoff regardless of the outcome tomorrow night. Jasper will still be the next best team in the state when the whole season is over.

Junkyard
08-26-2004, 09:13 AM
This is going to be a great game but the 2 teams will not meet again in the playoffs. WO-S will go big school and with Silsbee in Jasper's district Jasper will go small school.

I predict Jasper will win this one by more than 2 touchdowns.

WOS1
08-26-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Junkyard
This is going to be a great game but the 2 teams will not meet again in the playoffs. WO-S will go big school and with Silsbee in Jasper's district Jasper will go small school.

WOW... more than 2 TD's, huh?

Junkyard
08-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Well you know if you are going to support your team might as well think big!!:)

It will be a great game and one that will be talked about for a long time I believe.

spiveyrat
08-26-2004, 11:42 AM
How about NO HYPE. All I've seen all week was that weak article in the Enterprise. :(

Supertilley
08-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Do you not have a T.V. It has been on all three local networks. I even heared about it in Sabine Pass.

j_dog
08-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Supertilley
Do you not have a T.V. It has been on all three local networks. I even heared about it in Sabine Pass.
We have TV's, but we are too far away to pick up the "local" signals! :( Please tell us what they have been saying. :)

spiveyrat
08-26-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Supertilley

Thanks for that suggestion. But per my GPS, I'm approximately 595 miles NNE of Jasper. That would put me slightly out of range for any Golden Triangle reception. And last I checked, they don't broadcast through my DirecTV satellite, either. For me, it's either internet or nothing.

JasperDog94
08-26-2004, 12:56 PM
... Golden Triangle reception... It's kinda like the Bermuda Triangle, but on land.:p

GUNHO
08-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Junkyard

I don't see either team winning this by more than 2 touchdowns.However,if one team has a complete breakdown,makes silly mistakes,turns the ball over to many times then I might agree.

Chief Woodman
08-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by GUNHO
I don't see either team winning this by more than 2 touchdowns.However,if one team has a complete breakdown,makes silly mistakes,turns the ball over to many times then I might agree.

Who are you all talking about?

Old Cardinal
08-26-2004, 01:53 PM
To Junkyard: I would not rule out a Jasper/WOS game in Division I. Although I totally respect the turnaround potential of the Silsbee Tigers they might well lose to Kirbyville and Jasper. That leaves a pretty good District that with one slip up by Silsbee leaves them in 4th place. There are teams left that can upset Silsbee on a given night!
Kirbyville is maybe the most overlooked team in 3A that I know of. They should give even Jasper an excellent game this year.

Yes, the odds are Silsbee gets the third District spot and Jasper goes Division II. But until the season is over it is not a done deal for the Silsbee Tigers to make the playoffs because of the strength of that District.

Junkyard
08-26-2004, 02:05 PM
OC you are right it is not a done deal, but I will take the odds that Silsbee can beat Buna, Coldspring, and Shepherd without turning their program around. I know it is wishfull thinking for you that Jasper goes big school so that your Cardinals will not have to face the Bulldogs but my money and and prediction is Jasper goes small school.

duckbutter
08-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Well said OC. IMO Kirbyville could very well come away with the district title this yr and wouldn't that throw a kink in everyones plans. I have much respect for Jasper and will be sitting on their side friday night rooting for them, but..........................................
WOS 28
Jasper 7
WOS defense shuts them down and Jasper D won't stop the pass.
Just my take.

SintonFan
08-26-2004, 02:09 PM
It's not over hyped at all. Two top five teams playing this early in the season? That's just too cool.
To the Jasper and WOS poster: I won't be able to make the game. I had an obligation I wasn't aware of a few weeks ago.:(

Old Cardinal
08-26-2004, 03:06 PM
To Duckbutter and Junkyard: I was just sitting here kind of laughing--Bridge City does face Kirbyville, Jasper, Silsbee, Liberty and LC-M in the preseason. THEY COULD END UP 0-5 IN PRESEASON AND STILL HAVE A FAIR LITTLE TEAM. Everyone of these teams have most all their personnel back- LOL. Oh well, I leave in about an hour to see the Cardinals scrimmage #1 or #2 2A Newton at 6:30 pm tonight. They sure have taken on a bunch of good teams in the preseason this year. Duckbutter, you are right Kirbyville is loaded and actually stands in the path of Jasper in their own District for the District Championship!

WOS1
08-26-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm not going to make any predictions on this game because there is absolutely no way of telling how it will go this early. WO-S was victimized by Dayton in the first half of their scrimmage then looked good against Ozen. Jasper looked good against Anahuac then not so hot against Nederland. We'll just have to wait and see.

j_dog
08-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
I'm not going to make any predictions on this game because there is absolutely no way of telling how it will go this early. WO-S was victimized by Dayton in the first half of their scrimmage then looked good against Ozen. Jasper looked good against Anahuac then not so hot against Nederland. We'll just have to wait and see.
WOS1, you are so right. The only thing you can be sure of when these two teams play is that you can never predict what they will do. :) Records don't mean diddly here.

Junkyard
08-27-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
To Duckbutter and Junkyard: I was just sitting here kind of laughing--Bridge City does face Kirbyville, Jasper, Silsbee, Liberty and LC-M in the preseason. THEY COULD END UP 0-5 IN PRESEASON AND STILL HAVE A FAIR LITTLE TEAM. Everyone of these teams have most all their personnel back- LOL. Oh well, I leave in about an hour to see the Cardinals scrimmage #1 or #2 2A Newton at 6:30 pm tonight. They sure have taken on a bunch of good teams in the preseason this year. Duckbutter, you are right Kirbyville is loaded and actually stands in the path of Jasper in their own District for the District Championship!

The only thing Kirbyville has going for them against Jasper is that it is Jaspers Homecoming and Jasper has a history of playing bad at homecoming games.

spiveyrat
08-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
To Duckbutter and Junkyard: I was just sitting here kind of laughing--Bridge City does face Kirbyville, Jasper, Silsbee, Liberty and LC-M in the preseason.

OC, What week does BC play Silsbee?

WOS1
08-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Oct. 1

spiveyrat
08-27-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks!

Hupernikomen
08-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by duckbutter
Well said OC. IMO Kirbyville could very well come away with the district title this yr and wouldn't that throw a kink in everyones plans. I have much respect for Jasper and will be sitting on their side friday night rooting for them, but..........................................
WOS 28
Jasper 7
Just my take.

Jasper showed last year against Burnet they could defend the pass, and those guys were sophmores in the defensive backfield then. I don't doubt that 28-7 could be the score but I don't think it will be for a lack of stopping the pass, maybe turnovers and field position.

Hupernikomen
08-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by duckbutter
WOS 28
Jasper 7
Just my take.

Don't see how Kirbyville winning the district throws a kink into Jasper going D-II; however, Silsbee losing to Coldspring is a possibility and that would definitely throw a kink into things if Kirbyville wins district.

spiveyrat
08-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Here's some hype. (http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12794950&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512556&rfi=6)

Although, some of their facts are incorrect...

WOS1
08-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Here's some hype. (http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12794950&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512556&rfi=6)

Although, some of their facts are incorrect...

The fact that they can't even get the record right just ruins the whole thing for me. The Enterprise has been here far longer than our rivalry and they have done a story on every game we've played, yet they are not even close to having the right record and completely missed the whipping you guys put on us in the first game. They say we won, like, the first 9 games or something when we were actually 0-1 with ya'll to start. That article looks like something that would come from a far away newspaper like the Chronicle or something. If they can't even get the series right why would I think anything else they have to say is accurate.

Way to go Rush... :mad:

WOS1
08-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Speaking of our first game, there are some hauntingly familiar situations with this game and that one:

1. We were dropping from a higher classification.

2. We began the season ranked #1.

3. They were both at our house.

4. It was our first meeting in the classification (4A & 3A).

This is one time I hope history DOESN'T repeat itself... :eek:

spiveyrat
08-27-2004, 01:10 PM
interesting

j_dog
08-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
The fact that they can't even get the record right just ruins the whole thing for me...
. They say we won, like, the first 9 games or something when we were actually 0-1 with ya'll to start. That article looks like something that would come from a far away newspaper like the Chronicle or something. If they can't even get the series right why would I think anything else they have to say is accurate.

Way to go Rush... :mad:
They probably copied that from the Chronicle! The Chronicle has been making that mistatement for years. :o

It is bad enough for Jasper with the true record, durn their hide.

"Tonight's game marks the 16th meeting of the schools with WO-S holding a 13-2 advantage. The Mustangs won the first nine encounters, but the Bulldogs prevailed in the last meeting - 42-26 in 2001. Jasper's other victory was 41-0 in 1996."

I know there was also a playoff win by Jasper, making it 4 games that Jasper won in the series. Not a great ratio, but you are right. They could at least get it right. In fact, I am sure they had their own reporters at those games! :mad:

I have made it to Orange! See you tonight! :)