PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Teams???

hsfootballrules
08-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Who do you think some of the most overrated teams are?????

Silsbee, West Columbia, Manor

Keith7
08-23-2004, 09:44 PM
*cough*WOS*cough*

WOS92
08-23-2004, 09:47 PM
I'd say Gainesville in retaliation, but most of the polls seem to have them about right. *cough cough* AP, Dave Campbell's *cough*
:D

Keith7
08-23-2004, 09:56 PM
good point.. so they arn't overrated.. you are very smart! good job

WOS92
08-23-2004, 09:58 PM
That's what I'm saying. Not over or underrated. I was just thinking out loud.
Being so smart, I guess I'll pass on some wisdom: There's an "e" in "aren't." ;)

hsfootballrules
08-23-2004, 09:58 PM
I know one thing I saw gainsville play in the state game vs burnet.....they are the real deal..........saying that I would like them to meet up with WOS in the playoffs

Keith7
08-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by WOS92
That's what I'm saying. Not over or underrated. I was just thinking out loud.
riiiiiiiigghhhhttt:rolleyes:

WOS92
08-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Obviously they were the real deal last year.

westTXbest
08-23-2004, 10:00 PM
MONOHANS!

WOS92
08-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Whaaaaat? I thought we were posting opinions here.

La Grange
08-23-2004, 10:07 PM
It has to be Manor. One player does not make a great team, not even a mediocre team.

lobo12
08-23-2004, 10:07 PM
just for the record its MONAHANS

vfunk
08-23-2004, 10:13 PM
in 3A one great player DOES make a mediocre team...at the very least

Gobbla2001
08-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by hsfootballrules
I know one thing I saw gainsville play in the state game vs burnet.....they are the real deal..........saying that I would like them to meet up with WOS in the playoffs

And 8 of those offensive starters and 9 of those defensive starters that you saw play in last year's state game are.... no longer there...

Gainesville should still be somewhere in the top ten in my opinion though...

Manor overrated? How can we say, they return most of their team from a 10-3 season (not too shabby)...

Perryton is the most overrated team I've seen, I wouldn't be shocked to see Borger win that district and not Perryton...

Keith7
08-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
And 8 of those offensive starters and 9 of those defensive starters that you saw play in last year's state game are.... no longer there...

Gainesville should still be somewhere in the top ten in my opinion though...

Manor overrated? How can we say, they return most of their team from a 10-3 season (not too shabby)...

Perryton is the most overrated team I've seen, I wouldn't be shocked to see Borger win that district and not Perryton...

Gainesville had returned only 6/5 last year and won the state championship.. when you have great coaching, good work ethic, and one of the best Running backs in the state; you have the right ingrediants for success

GoDeep
08-23-2004, 10:28 PM
Without a doubt....Quinlan Ford!

Gobbla2001
08-23-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Gainesville had returned only 6/5 last year and won the state championship.. when you have great coaching, good work ethnic, and one of the best Running backs in the state; you have the right ingrediants for success

I totally know what you mean... I'm just arguing the saying "I saw them play last year, they're for real..." Yes, you did see them play last year, and though those guys are for real, they're also graduated...

Dang good coach and back, that's why I still think of them as a top 10 team...

crabman
08-23-2004, 10:31 PM
What is a "work ethnic"?

You got some splaining to do.

Keith7
08-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by crabman
What is a "work ethnic"?

You got some splaining to do.

oops.. i type too fast.. thanks for proofreading

bullfrog_alumni_02
08-23-2004, 11:03 PM
you guys are killing me!!

PPHSfan
08-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by GoDeep
Without a doubt....Quinlan Ford!

That is for sure, they are picked to win district, and they will be lucky to not end up fourth or fifth in a five team race.

hsfootballrules
08-24-2004, 12:07 AM
Speaking of Gainsville....when you have a running back like they have.........you are going to be a pretty good football team.....and if i remember right they also had a soph last year that was a stud.......they are at least worthy of a top 10.......and speaking of manor just watch them and then i want you to come back here and tell me they arent overrated

kepdawg
08-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by hsfootballrules
Who do you think some of the most overrated teams are?????

Silsbee, West Columbia, Manor

Silsbee? Don't you have to be rated before you can be overrated?

RBARKER
08-24-2004, 07:43 AM
Tarkington!! There is no way they are better than three teams in 3A :D

Titans
08-24-2004, 07:46 AM
Tarkington is WAY better than Whitney. They haven't won a district game since the Carter Administration.

Matthew328
08-24-2004, 07:52 AM
Give me Quinlan Ford with Perryton as a close second....also what has Lindale done to be ranked so high..what have they done lately?? BTW I am guilty of overratingg them every year! LOL

Titans
08-24-2004, 08:34 AM
Neither Whitney, nor Tarkington, nor Lindale are my choice for the most over-rated team.

Arguably, the most over-rated team is the Texas Longhorns. Every year they are ranked high and every year they prove that playing football is just difficult with your hands wrapped around your neck.

Texas "we're always just a little bit" SHORT Horns

are my overrated team of the year.....again!

JasperDog94
08-24-2004, 08:38 AM
I'll disagree with you Titans. Oklahoma has had the longhorn's number for several years now. That said, Oklahoma has been in the top 3 (imho) the past 5 years. That still puts Texas in the top 10, which is where they are now. Texas is easily a top 10 team this year.

Titans
08-24-2004, 08:44 AM
How did you get those figures?

Since OU beat UT, that puts UT in the top 10? If that's the case, Baylor is also a Top 10 team because OU beat them too.

UT is a good team, no doubt....but OVER-RATED!

They have a great chance this year, except that they have to play OU and in Lubbock...and don't count out OSU.

Texas will choke. Wait and see, but they do it every year. Sorry I hurt your feelings!

JasperDog94
08-24-2004, 08:53 AM
No hurt feelings here. I'm just disagreeing with you.

For example: #2 plays #4. #2 beats #4. Does that automatically make #4 a non top 10 team?

Look at the BSC championship game: 1 vs. 2. The winner is #1, the loser is #2. The loser still maintains that #2 ranking. They're still a top 10 team.

I say all of that to say this. They don't always choke. I'm as disappointed as anybody else. BUT, Texas is definitely a top 10 team.

RBARKER
08-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Ok now my real overrated list. Perryton, Lindale & Quinlan Ford are all overated IMHO. I still havn't bought into the Jasper WOS rating either. WOS athough in a tough district hasn't made the playoffs in 3 years since their Finals appearance in 2000. Jasper has made some good runs the last couple of years, but last year they were down alot from 2002 sqeaking by Manor to advance to the next round. Don't get me wrong Jasper & WOS I just think their is a little to much Hype going on. Both of you may prove me wrong before the season is over, but I think the following teams will give the Jasper & WOS duo a fight.

Gainesville
Cuero
Manor
Sinton
Kennedale

Titans
08-24-2004, 09:21 AM
Just like the polls, we are all subjective on the matter.

Texas' 10-3 record last year doesn't put them in the top 10 in my poll.

As for #1 vs. #2 and other highly rated contests, I agree. Yet, when you lose to the likes of Texas Tech, Arkansas, Washington State, Colorado and others that aren't in the Top 10...it hurts bad.

Losing to OU 63-14 isn't a good showing either and will drop you.

I'm surpirsed at you, Jasper. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and aren't offended. Most of the UT fans I personally know get in an uproar when you make a negative reference to UT football.

BTW - there are a few games that peak interest for me...

OU
Tech
OSU

Arkansas won't be a pushover...but I expect the Horns to win and gain revenge over those pesky Hogs.

JasperDog94
08-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Titans
BTW - there are a few games that peak interest for me...

OU
Tech
OSU

Arkansas won't be a pushover...but I expect the Horns to win and gain revenge over those pesky Hogs. I agree with you on these games. The Big XII is a tough conference. Now put a conference championship game in there and that's a rough road to travel to the national title game.

OSU almost always plays good, tough games.

OU - enough said.

Tech is a slugfest every time...especially when it's in Lubbock.

Texas should handle Arkansas this year. Arkansas lost a lot of starters. We'll see soon enough.

I still hold out hope that Texas will pull it together, but if they don't beat OU this year, you can say goodbye to Mack.

Titans
08-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Do you really believe UT will cut Mack loose WHEN they lose to OU once again?

Should Coach Brown get the axe, it will be because of the mounting combination of losses:

1. To OU and surprise losses
2. To losses in the recruits

UT lost some outstanding recruits to mainly OU, but A&M and Tech stole a couple, just to name of few. Should they continue on that trend, they won't have a choice but to get someone else in.

In other words, they MUST beat OU and make a legitimate stab at the National Championship.

Just a thought!

Hupernikomen
08-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by RBARKER
Tarkington!! There is no way they are better than three teams in 3A :D

Come on now RB I been supporting your eagles..that was a low blow.

Hupernikomen
08-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Ok now my real overrated list. Perryton, Lindale & Quinlan Ford are all overated IMHO. I still havn't bought into the Jasper WOS rating either. WOS athough in a tough district hasn't made the playoffs in 3 years since their Finals appearance in 2000. Jasper has made some good runs the last couple of years, but last year they were down alot from 2002 sqeaking by Manor to advance to the next round. Don't get me wrong Jasper & WOS I just think their is a little to much Hype going on. Both of you may prove me wrong before the season is over, but I think the following teams will give the Jasper & WOS duo a fight.

Gainesville
Cuero
Manor
Sinton
Kennedale

Well now you are picking on my dogs too, so...if you look at history no one seems to go 10-0 and 1 and out as much as BH!!!:eek: :thinking:

PHS Ranger Mom
08-24-2004, 11:06 AM
If you don't mind my asking - Why do you think Perryton is so overrated?

RBARKER
08-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Come on now RB I been supporting your eagles..that was a low blow.

Sorry I couldn't help myself :rolleyes: Just trying to add a little humor.

RBARKER
08-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Well now you are picking on my dogs too, so...if you look at history no one seems to go 10-0 and 1 and out as much as BH!!!:eek: :thinking:

I'm not picking on Jasper they have a great team better than my Eagles IMHO. I just think they haven't played up to the Hype thus far. You are right about BH we have been outplayed and Coached in the playoffs. BH is improving though and should be a good team the next couple of years. It's hard being a Eagle fan, you watch them all year as they roll to a winning record and then BAM they fall in the playoffs.

hsfootballrules
08-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Huper how many times has barbers hill been 10-0 and lost in the first round......i have been watching them play for a while......and i dont remember that happening......just wondering......maybe you should research before you say something

Hupernikomen
08-24-2004, 01:11 PM
I could be wrong but I believe it happened 3 years in a row in the recent past.
Research??
I am in their district so I have somewhat of a knowledge of the Eagles. Dern good team who I admire and root for each year as they represent our district.

JasperDog94
08-24-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm not picking on Jasper they have a great team better than my Eagles IMHO. I just think they haven't played up to the Hype thus far. Are you basing that on their scrimmages?

RBARKER
08-24-2004, 01:32 PM
I could be wrong but I believe it happened 3 years in a row in the recent past.
Research??
I am in their district so I have somewhat of a knowledge of the Eagles. Dern good team who I admire and root for each year as they represent our district.

Okay Hupernikomen Here is the RESEARCH hsfootballrules is refering to. BH has never went 10-0 and lost in RD 1. Here is what has happened the last 4 years at BH.

2003- BH went 8-2 and lost to Manor in RD 2/ 14-9.

2002- BH went 8-2 and lost to Bridge City in RD 1 /31-14.

2001- BH went 10-0 and lost to Rice Cons in RD 2 /29-7.

2000- BH went 10-0 and lost to Sweeny in RD 2 / 31-7.

1999 - BH went 10-0 and lost to Robinson in RD 3/ 24-7

Hupernikomen
08-24-2004, 01:37 PM
'99-01 was 11-1.

Hupernikomen
08-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Okay Hupernikomen Here is the RESEARCH hsfootballrules is refering to. BH has never went 10-0 and lost in RD 1. Here is what has happened the last 4 years at BH.

2003- BH went 8-2 and lost to Manor in RD 2/ 14-9.

2002- BH went 8-2 and lost to Bridge City in RD 1 /31-14.

2001- BH went 10-0 and lost to Rice Cons in RD 2 /29-7.

2000- BH went 10-0 and lost to Sweeny in RD 2 / 31-7.

1999 - BH went 10-0 and lost to Robinson in RD 3/ 24-7

Opps, I stand corrected. I forget things when I sleep. I knew they had disappointing runs in the playoffs for a few years running.

RBARKER
08-24-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Are you basing that on their scrimmages?

No. Scrimmages are not games. I'm basing this on what Jasper has done the last 2 years after they dropped to 3A. The HYPE is what I am refering to. Jasper has a great team over their and this could be thier year. I'm looking at 2002 when Jasper was supposed to roll over everyone on their way to a state title then got punished by Burnet 46-28 then Burnet went on to get slaped by Everman 35-14. Then there is 2003 where Jasper was ranked high and sqeaked by Waco Connally in OT 34-28 and then snuck by Manor 24-21. I'm not saying that Manor and Waco don't have good teams I just wouldn't consider them elite teams. Again I don't have anything against Jasper I would be proud have that team to support.

RBARKER
08-24-2004, 01:50 PM
Opps, I stand corrected I forgot that they beat Bye High School those years in the FIRST ROUND. Guess I should have said one and out!
:rolleyes:

What was the deal in '99? Did they only have 9 games going into the playoffs or what?

Nope they had 10 games. BH enede up 12-1 for the year

crzyjournalist03
08-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Crandall is overrated in the DMN poll.

GoDeep
08-24-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Crandall is overrated in the DMN poll.

Who else could they have put in Crandall's spot? Pickins are a little slim this year. Besides, they'll probably look a superteam this Friday against Quinlan Kia.

crzyjournalist03
08-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by GoDeep
Who else could they have put in Crandall's spot? Pickins are a little slim this year. Besides, they'll probably look a superteam this Friday against Quinlan Kia.

I dunno...but I have a feeling Kaufman or Ferris will end up with a better record than the Piraters.

hsfootballrules
08-24-2004, 04:21 PM
bh was 12-1 in 99

Gobbla2001
08-24-2004, 05:09 PM
I think Perryton is overrated, so I can maybe answer your question PHS...

I don't think they SHOULD NOT be rated, just do not think they are top 5, maybe top ten but I would say for SURE top 20...

So, I say I do not believe they're top 5, but maybe top 10, meaning they could be ranked in any number 6-20 and I would say "no, they're prolly not overrated"... But since they're in the top 5, I say they're overrated...

They went 7-3 last year during the regular season... Good? Yes... Great? No... They return a ton of starters... Good? Yes, Great? Yes... So I think they should be a top 20 team...

HOWEVER... Not top 5, so they're overrated in my head (it just means that I believe that there are at least 5 out of the 200 or so teams in 3A better than them... That's not too bad)...

Gobbla2001
08-24-2004, 05:17 PM
Titans - Typical UT-hater...

I like UT sports, ya, but I'm not a fanatic...

But you can always tell when you're talking to a hater when all they can come up with is "They only finished 10-3"... Or "They suck they only went 11-2 (really bad records here, just pitiful)"...

Look at the history of the BcS System, minus your top 3 or so most of the top 10 has 2 or more losses...

Overrated? No... Just aren't winning it...

Put the horns in the playoffs and they'll win 'em one sooner than they would in this BcS...

JasperDog94
08-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Put the horns in the playoffs and they'll win 'em one sooner than they would in this BcS... Oh no!!! Not a playoff system!!!:eek: :eek: But what about all that money we'll lose...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MHSvarsity2007
08-24-2004, 07:09 PM
I'm from an area thats not very big on state champions much less play-offs but I definetly think that Abilene Wylie is so overrated. The only reason they are so good is because they are in a district with unexperienced teams. Abilene Wylie should move up to 4A but they will stay 3A so they can win district every year. But hey thats my opinion take it or leave it.

GO MERKEL BADGERS!:clap:

mwynn05
08-24-2004, 07:16 PM
yep your right its wylies choice to stay in 3a unless you know something we dont its not really there choice

Buckeyeman
08-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Definitely Lindale.

Titans
08-25-2004, 07:55 AM
Gobbla:

Apparently you can't read. Either that or you can't comprehend what you are reading.

UT hater....NO!

UT disappointment....absolutely.

It's my opinion that they aren't a top 10 team. Apparently that bothers you enough to call all people who also share my opinion as UT haters. That's fine, I can live with that.

Come to think of it....I'm also a Cuero Gobbler hater too. A Miami Hurricane hater. A FSU Seminole hater, and a Virginia Tech hater.

I'm a just a hater.

:mad:

JasperDog94
08-25-2004, 09:25 AM
Titans: You just need to lay off that Hatorade!:D :D :D

jace
08-25-2004, 10:05 AM
I really dont understand why yal think perrtyon is overated yall really have no clue on how good they are.

Titans
08-25-2004, 10:16 AM
I know JasperDog, I know!

Ok, I know longer hate the Gobblers of Cuero.

Can I still hate the Miami Hurricanes?

PULEEZE!

:thinking:

JasperDog94
08-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Weeeellllllll....okay. But only because Shockey and Winslow came from Miami!:D

BigAbe79
08-25-2004, 11:35 AM
I think wylie is overated. They should be 4a for sure.

JasperDog94
08-25-2004, 11:57 AM
What is ya'lls deal with Abilene Wylie "choosing to stay in 3A"?

GoDeep
08-25-2004, 12:14 PM
JD, if you notice, teams that say that usually lose to Wylie too.
I do think that they have been overrated the last few years, but not this year. Im affraid they're the real deal this year.
I still say, Quinlan Kia gets the Notre Dame award for this year.

Titans
08-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Some of you guys speak as if Wylie has the choice to stay 3A???

Is that similar to the Highland Park situation?

Highland Park will always be 4A. Even when they have 16,000 students, the state will up the 5A cut-off to 16,001...

Ok, a little over-exaggeration, but that's what y'all sound like with the Wylie deal...

Then again, I'm just a hater!

Give me winners, not whiners!!!!!!!!!

coiled2strike
08-25-2004, 01:23 PM
i think every team in the state of texas is overrated...that is the way it is supposed to be, right?...i mean, we try every day to make our kids believe that they can do something that they are not supposed to be able to do...that is the heart and soul of football...achieving the unlikely, improbable...even the impossible
so, i say it isn't that these teams are overrated...maybe they just under achieved...just my .02

Black_Magic
08-25-2004, 01:38 PM
I believe Wylie may be a little over rated. they will be good but Lost alot and the JV last year was very mediocre.