PDA

View Full Version : DMN 3A Countdown: No. 2 Kennedale

KTJ
08-23-2004, 11:29 AM
By JIM BARNES / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

Now, Richard Barrett can count on tradition at Kennedale. After three straight playoff appearances, the coach expects younger players to be ready to plug holes in a team that was one play away from reaching the Class 3A Division II semifinals last season.

"We lost an all-state quarterback, a 2,000-yard running back, a great receiver, a tight end," he said. "To say we're going to be able to replace those guys quickly is wishful thinking. We're going to have to be very patient, but these guys can do the job."

Barrett does have a core group of seniors that can lead the team. Fullback Weldon Brooks should become the focal point of the offense and help the new quarterback, junior Tommy Lee, adjust to the starter's role. David Collins should be Lee's top target and also anchor the defense on the line, along with linebacker Daniel Hemphill and cornerback Derius Butler.

"We should be a lot better defensively," Barrett said. "We will have to be."

E-mail jbarnes@dallasnews.com

FAST FACTS

Nickname: Wildcats

District: 10-3A

Coach: Richard Barrett

Last season: 12-2, 6-1 in district; lost in Class 3A Division II regional final to Vernon, 33-26, in overtime.

THE SKINNY

STRENGTH

Defense: Should finally replace offense on center stage.

WEAKNESS

Skill positions: Hard to replace last season's banner group.

BIGGEST GAME

vs. Wilmer-Hutchins, Oct. 15: Kennedale's main threat for district title

DID YOU KNOW?

There are only five teams in District 10-3A, so more than half will make the playoffs.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

WR/DE David Collins, 6-4, 215, Sr.: Big target also overpowers offensive linemen.

FB Weldon Brooks, 6-0, 210, Sr.: Will get a lot more carries this season.

MLB Daniel Hemphill, 5-10, 210, Sr.: Leader of experienced defense.

CB Derius Butler, 5-10, 180, Sr.: Top cover man in secondary.

RETURNING LEADERS
RUSHING
Name Att. Yds. TDs
Weldon Brooks 168 1,239 19
PASSING
Name C-A-I Yds. TD
None
RECEIVING
Name No. Yds. TD
David Collins 18 159 5
TACKLES
Name No.
Daniel Hemphill 72
INTERCEPTIONS
Name No.
Marcos Ramirez 7

Titans
08-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Good pick and a safe one at that. I'm certain Gainesville is #1.

With this pick, however, I'm wondering how much was given to their past success?!? They seem to missing some important pieces somewhere.

We'll see!

PPHSfan
08-23-2004, 01:37 PM
I am sure Gainesville will be number one as well. But when I look at the top ten, Decatur got robbed.

KTJ
08-23-2004, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I think Decatur should have been above Hutch, RC, and Crandall.

PPHSfan
08-23-2004, 11:27 PM
They just posted number one. Why don't you grab it and put all of the top ten up at once.

KTJ
08-23-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
They just posted number one. Why don't you grab it and put all of the top ten up at once.

Cause that would be too easy.

And I post the new one each day at noon. So don't ruin it!

(crazy pilot point fans.):D

Matthew328
08-24-2004, 09:36 AM
I am assuming that maybe Decatur wasn't included in DMN coverage area much like Stephenville and Aledo weren't included in the 4A poll...I guess DMN is leaving anything west of Tarrant County alone..