PDA

View Full Version : Bellville/Giddings Scrimmage

KL3
08-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Anyone have anything to report on this scrimmage?

BrahmaMom
08-23-2004, 07:15 AM
I've been waiting, too...Anyone??????

Bull's-eye
08-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Bellville moved the ball in the first series, but had trouble hanging on to the ball. Two fumbles and a interception stopped their drives. Giddings scored on a long pass to take a 1-0 lead. Bellville's defense played pretty good, except for that one play. One of the Bellville defenders went for the interception, but mis-timed his jump. Giddings #2 offense scored to make the score 2-0. Bellville's first team answered with a long TD run by QB Sanders. Bellville's defense stopped Giddings to keep the score 2-1. In the live scrimmage, Bellville scored on a great run by Benjamin. Bellville's defense held Giddings in check the rest of the scrimmage. Bellville's offense then moved the ball down to the one, but was stopped on 4th and goal. The scrimmage ended with 2 TD's for each team.
I have been really impressed with Bellville's defense. They have played way better than I would of expected. The offense moved the ball quite well, except for the turnovers. The good news is that this can and should be corrected. The offensive line had some trouble pass blocking, but that will improve as they get more time playing together. The kicking game looks to be strong, with a couple of left-footed kickers. Jabow looked very fast running the ball and played very good at cornerback. Sanders will be very dangerous running the ball.

Gobbla2001
08-23-2004, 07:29 PM
So what did you really think of Giddings? I know it was early, but did they look close to a playoff team to you?

Bull's-eye
08-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Giddings is running an option type offense. I was really impressed with their QB. He is very deceptive with his fake hand-offs. He will put the ball in the hands of the runner, but then pull it back and take off himself. He will carry out the fakes on every play, so be ready for the deep pass off of play action. They do have some speed at the receiver position. They seemed to have a pretty good pass rush and they did stop Bellville in their goal-line defense.
They are in a very tough district, but I think they could play the role of spoiler this year. Manor and La Grange are the early favorites, with 3rd place up for grabs. They could very well sneak in that 3rd position, but there are several other teams that could keep them out.

BrahmaMom
08-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Glad to hear the Bulls' defense continues to look good, that was my biggest worry. I think the kinks will be worked out early enough for the Brahmas to win plenty of games. I am excited about Sanders, he is a tremendous athlete. The running and receiving corps is strong, the fumbles are over now, so there should not be any major mistakes left to make during the season. Go Brahmas!