PDA

View Full Version : Jasper/WO-S: Memories, Myths, Rumors

whatusay2
08-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Jasper started playing WO-S when I was in elementary school. So, I have many memories of the Jasper and WO-S rivalry--including all those "War Weeks" in high school (this was the week of the game w/ WO-S). So, I thought it would be a good time to talk about all of our memories surrounding the game and also the myths and rumors surrounding the rivalry. I'll get it started...I can't remember the exact year, but I know I wasn't in high school. I remember students saying that the initials "WO-S" had been burned in the band practice field. Did this actually happen or was this a rumor that some students started?

GS#17
08-22-2004, 06:26 PM
I'd be willing to bet that's a myth. It's over an hour drive to Jasper, and I don't think anyone from WOS would drive all the way out there just to burn initials in a band field (of all places). Not saying the initials weren't burned in the field, but I would be extremely surprised if it was someone from WOS that went to all that trouble to desecrate a band field...

Here's my fact or fiction question. When I played (87), we heard one of the star RBs failed a class after he told the teacher he didn't have to take his six weeks test. Depending on who tells the story, he may have "relieved" himself in the classroom, also (although I don't really buy that part of the story). Any truth to that?

JasperDog94
08-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Can you give me a year that that supposedly happened? (band field)

j_dog
08-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
Here's my fact or fiction question. When I played (87), we heard one of the star RBs failed a class after he told the teacher he didn't have to take his six weeks test. Depending on who tells the story, he may have "relieved" himself in the classroom, also (although I don't really buy that part of the story). Any truth to that?
You are opening an old can of worms. I am sure the player has suffered enough and does not need this rehashed so I hope no one posts his name. Since no names have been mentioned, I will say that I think the first part of that story is fact. The second part, that may have been some other situation. Another fact (perhaps not widely publicized) is that the teacher he reportedly told that to was also a coach.

One thing, I know you have regretted all these years not getting to play him in that game! :D

whatusay2
08-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Can you give me a year that that supposedly happened? (band field)

It was anywhere between 1987 and 1990. And, it's been so long ago, I can't remember if it was the band practice field or the players' practice field. And, regarding the star RB, whose name I won't post, I remember a slightly different story. That's the thing w/ rumors and myths--they get twisted...!

Bulldog92
08-22-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by whatusay2
It was anywhere between 1987 and 1990. And, it's been so long ago, I can't remember if it was the band practice field or the players' practice field. And, regarding the star RB, whose name I won't post, I remember a slightly different story. That's the thing w/ rumors and myths--they get twisted...! If it happened, it was '87. I was there from 88-90 and I know for a fact it didn't happen then. We didn't even play them in '89 if memory serves because they weren't in our district and PNG knocked us out of the first round of the playoffs.

JasperDog94
08-22-2004, 10:10 PM
I was in HS from 90-93 football seasons and nothing was ever burned into the band practice field or the team's field...that I remember.

My freshman year, some disgruntled band member got some gas and burned "KEN SUCKS" into the band practice field. But that was in reference to the band director at the time.

Bulldog92
08-22-2004, 10:14 PM
I was in HS from 90-93 football seasons and nothing was ever burned into the band practice field or the team's field...that I remember.

My freshman year, some disgruntled band member got some gas and burned "KEN SUCKS" into the band practice field. But that was in reference to the band director at the time.
I remember that...lol. :D

WOS1
08-22-2004, 10:30 PM
I remember the story about the RB as well as his name. Since we all know who this particular person is, whatever happened to him? Is he still around the Jasper area?

spiveyrat
08-23-2004, 06:31 AM

No kidding??? I didn't hear about that. But I was in college at the time.

JasperDog94
08-23-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by WOS1
I remember the story about the RB as well as his name. Since we all know who this particular person is, whatever happened to him? Is he still around the Jasper area? This discussion came up in a previous thread. I'll see if I can find it.

JasperDog94
08-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Here you go (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17425&perpage=15&highlight=chris%20hunt&pagenumber=2)

WOS1
08-23-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm assuming that because of the "jr." post that he's still in the Jasper area?

WOS1
08-23-2004, 10:28 AM
I know I'm going back to my day a little, but do you guys remember Edsel Ford and Ricky Limbrick? What happened to those guys?

j_dog
08-23-2004, 12:08 PM
I know I'm going back to my day a little, but do you guys remember Edsel Ford and Ricky Limbrick? What happened to those guys?
I remember the names but do not know anything about them. One thing for sure, the Limbrick name and Jasper go hand in hand, maybe even more so than the name Hadnot. Johnny Limbrick was the first Limbrick I remember playing. He made first team all-state RB in 1971. Helped carry the Dogs to the QF where they lost to Ennis by 8-12. Point of interest, the winner of that game had the privilege of playing and losing to Cuero. I think that was the first of several trips to the state finals by Cuero.

D. R. Hooks
08-23-2004, 12:51 PM
Hey J-dog...The famous 3-0 game in 1987 is my only trip I've made to Jasper stadium. Has the stadium changed any since then?

http://www.flickingerweather.com/wos.JPG

JasperDog94
08-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Not really. I don't think the home side had metal bleachers back then, but I'm not sure about that. It's pretty much the same. Except now they call it "The Bone Yard".

D. R. Hooks
08-23-2004, 01:07 PM
The stadium was all wood then, and I think I still have a splinter somewhere....

http://www.flickingerweather.com/wos.JPG :D

JasperDog94
08-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Jasper's tried numerous times to get a new stadium. The voters would never go for it. The track team had to win state (a couple of times I think) before they got any more than a dirt track to run on...:(

DawgFan91
08-23-2004, 03:17 PM
My freshman year, some disgruntled band member got some gas and burned "KEN SUCKS" into the band practice field. But that was in reference to the band director at the time. [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL, I even know who did it. Seems like "WO-S" did get burned into the band field too, but it was small and done by someone from Jasper.

Who was a better DB in High School--Raefel Adams or Kevin Smith?

j_dog
08-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Jasper's tried numerous times to get a new stadium. The voters would never go for it. The track team had to win state (a couple of times I think) before they got any more than a dirt track to run on...:(
4 times! 1975, 1985, 1991, and 1997

Old Green
08-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
I remember the names but do not know anything about them. One thing for sure, the Limbrick name and Jasper go hand in hand, maybe even more so than the name Hadnot. Johnny Limbrick was the first Limbrick I remember playing. He made first team all-state RB in 1971. Helped carry the Dogs to the QF where they lost to Ennis by 8-12. Point of interest, the winner of that game had the privilege of playing and losing to Cuero. I think that was the first of several trips to the state finals by Cuero. I remember the name Limbrick. When the Cuero coaches scouted the Ennis - Jasper game they said he was better Than Ennis's Stanley Fields who also made allstate that year.

j_dog
08-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
I remember the name Limbrick. When the Cuero coaches scouted the Ennis - Jasper game they said he was better Than Ennis's Stanley Fields who also made allstate that year.
Yes, he was pretty good. Only 150 pounds or so, but he could juke the defensive players right out of their shoes. And speed, speed is synonymous with the Limbrick name. There have been several since then. I heard that some of them are his sons.

GS#17
08-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Who was a better DB in High School--Raefel Adams or Kevin Smith?

Those were two great DBs. I remember how concerned we were with Adams -- that guy was a heck of an athlete. Of course, when we played you all in 87, I think everyone on our team got our attention. That was one very talented group of players.

Bulldog92
08-23-2004, 08:23 PM
Those were two great DBs. I remember how concerned we were with Adams -- that guy was a heck of an athlete. Of course, when we played you all in 87, I think everyone on our team got our attention. That was one very talented group of players. Great question. I think Adams could have made the pros, too, but he was on some bad LSU squads and went unnoticed. I loved Smith when he played for the Cowboys, though... :D

WOS1
08-23-2004, 09:20 PM
Well, Limbrick and Ford were RB's on the 1983 Bulldog squad that I watched dismantle Liberty, then Brazosport and lost to eventual state runner up Fort Bend Willowridge with Thurman Thomas at tailback. They lost by 2 and fumbled on the 2 with less than 2 minutes left.

Bulldog92
08-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Well, Limbrick and Ford were RB's on the 1983 Bulldog squad that I watched dismantle Liberty, then Brazosport and lost to eventual state runner up Fort Bend Willowridge with Thurman Thomas at tailback. They lost by 2 and fumbled on the 2 with less than 2 minutes left. I thought Willowridge beat us like 34-7 when Thomas was there and then they beat us 10-6 the year after he left....:thinking:

j_dog
08-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog92
I thought Willowridge beat us like 34-7 when Thomas was there and then they beat us 10-6 the year after he left....:thinking:
92 you are partially correct. Thomas was a junior in the big whipping at Lamar in 82. He was a senior in the 10-6 game at Pasadena Memorial in 83.

Bulldog92
08-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
92 you are partially correct. Thomas was a junior in the big whipping at Lamar in 82. He was a senior in the 10-6 game at Pasadena Memorial in 83. Gotcha...:)

WOS1
08-23-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog92
I thought Willowridge beat us like 34-7 when Thomas was there and then they beat us 10-6 the year after he left....:thinking:

Nope... it was the 10-6 game I saw and that was Thomas' senior year as well as mine, Limbrick and Ford. I remember the signs talking about it being the second time around too. I had forgotten about that.

WOS1
08-23-2004, 09:42 PM
Oops... just saw j dogs post.

Bulldog92
08-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Oh well...I was only 11 back then and I remember being heartbroken by both games. Those were two of Coach Walkoviak's strongest teams....especially the '82 group that Thomas ran wild on.

Hupernikomen
08-24-2004, 10:06 AM
Those were two great DBs. I remember how concerned we were with Adams -- that guy was a heck of an athlete. Of course, when we played you all in 87, I think everyone on our team got our attention. That was one very talented group of players.

Heck i don't think rafael was the best DB on our team his senior year. I would give the nod to McFarland...just my opinion. Both were true blue chippers.

j_dog
08-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Heck i don't think rafael was the best DB on our team his senior year. I would give the nod to McFarland...just my opinion. Both were true blue chippers.
I concur. McFarland probably was the better all-around athlete from what I heard. He reportedly would have been the starting QB his senior year if Jasper had not needed him on the defensive side. Of course, they both played D1 ball, along with Curtis Hafford, and maybe others that I don't remember.