PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like to read or write poetry?

rhino33
08-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Does anyone on this board read or write poetry?

i write poetry... if anyone else writes then put some of it on here or ask me and ill put sum of mine on here

rhino33
08-21-2004, 05:57 PM
i guess ill put one of mine on here and yall tell me wat u think, im thinking bout publishing a book of poems or something tell me wat u think

i wrote this for my football coach to read to our team in a meeting or something becuase there were some situations during off season that kinda showed some hate people had towards eachother like a fight or something like that... i hope yall like it

Hatred
This world has been built on this ridicolous hatred....
Judenrein,racism,and slavery,such shallow views...
a tear goes out to everyone lost in this world wide war of terror...
we have a very shallow margin of error....
i fight back tears as i begin to reminisce...
childhood friends lost for the 'cause'...
and the 'cause' now seems almost endless....

sometimes i feel that i cant blame others for their hatred...
its been built on for centuries...
where shallow minds have been catered....
presidents and dictators...
this distaste in my soul....
is what slowly evaporates all hope for a world of peace...
racism is so strong...if you look close...
you see the venom oozing out their teeth....

whats sad is...
you cant be you without being offered insults...
the pain in my heart,spreads so deeply
i feel a revolt...coming without results
so sick of struggling for love that comes unconditionally...
i do have my mother though...
really the only one that showed there love so visibly...
the majority of the rest are unknown or friends/foes....
who prey on your every movement....
waitin for their envy to enclose...
perfectly...
as ill struggle mercilessly...
to fight off the scent of hatred,
i could never completely wash it of....
and witness those persuaded...
to the pitch black flames of satan...
where hope slowly evaporates within the hands of time...
so i could never hate those...
whose stance on crime...
is the only way theyve learned how to succeed...
i constantly need another moment to breathe....
cuz theirs so many that hate me and want my ending to proceed.

i always feel i could never blame this world built on hatred
where jealosy's so real
that you can literally taste it...
and so many attempt to persuade you...
to have hatred just like them...
i fight back constantly with a heart of limited love...
it must be limited,i have no choice...
cuz theyll finish me if i open my heart endlessly...
searching for love....among the ice cold terrain...
where every attempt to find her strains my soul...
whats been erased is my complete control...
i cant help it,but close myself
cuz so many are selfish,jealous,overzealous
with watching your blood spill
while those that REALLY loved you...
sit back and feel so helpless....

By Erik

LHMom
08-21-2004, 06:13 PM
My son graduated in the spring. He wrote a poem about the football 2002 season as a tribute to the seniors. The Athletic Director asked him to read it at their football banquet. He wrote another to his fellow seniors last year, too. Poetry is his way of dealing with issues that are on his mind...

He plans to be a coach and English teacher.

rhino33
08-21-2004, 06:15 PM
thats cool

Pudlugger
08-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Yeah the world is scr@#$%d up. Now you need to learn how to live in it like the rest of us. You're a very bright kid so I'm not worried about you in the least. Oh yeah, you can change it but only a little bit (minus 10 to the 9th), so don't lie down in front of any tanks, just keep your eyes open and refuse to be duped. Final word: protect yourself and those you love. Good luck.

Pudlugger
08-21-2004, 06:45 PM
from the internet:
Rupert Brooke
1905-1908
1908-1911
Experiments
Grantchester
Other Poems
The South Seas
Introduction
(1887-1915)
"If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed" ("The Soldier")

Rupert Brooke was educated at Rugby School where his father was a housemaster. He was popular, not least because of his good looks (he was "the most handsome man in England" according to WB Yeats) and charisma and after winning a scholarship to King's College, Cambridge, he spent his time there establishing himself as a major figure on the literary scene. His friends included EM Forster, Virginia Woolf and the economist John Maynard Keynes (all members of the 'Bloomsbury Group') and in his short lifetime he won the respect and admiration as a poet of the highest order.

Brooke's early poetry is not that for which he is remembered, but is startling - particularly for those familiar with his war poems of 1914 - in its candour (see "Heaven"). He began writing poems in 1909 and his Poems 1911 and pieces written for the first two Georgian Poetry (1912) volumes organised by his friends EH Marsh and HE Monro (later attacked by radical poets Pound and Eliot but now well regarded).

After becoming a fellow of King's College in 1913, and writing a one act play - Lithuania - he had a breakdown and began travelling in America and Canada where he continued to write poetry that he would later declare a personal preference for. He enlisted in 1914 but actually saw very little action in the War. Poems like "The Soldier" saw Brooke become the patriotic poet of the early years of World War I for England, but he died in the Dardanelles of blood poisoning in 1915 before his verse could adapt to reflect the true horror of the war as later depicted by Sassoon and Owen. Despite the fame bestowed upon him at the time of his death due to the influence of his family and his friends, and his posthumously released 1914 and Other Poems (1915), his reputation is now based on the lighter verse and poems from his Pacific/ Tahiti period. His life sadly cut short, his work survives as only a fraction of what he might have achieved given time in his Collected Poems.

Perhaps more than anyone in contemporary American life, Brooke captures the angst of a young man in a dangerous world at war. He does so with a love for his country which makes him a true hero in my view. When i was 16 I recited "The Soldier" in my English class. It haunts me to this day.

Stanley
08-21-2004, 08:11 PM
How 'bout some Haiku for you?

Concrete conundrum
And I - Modern Theseus.
Where the hell'd I park?

Showtime33
08-22-2004, 12:32 AM
I prefer to freestyle rather than write poems. :)