PDA

View Full Version : Liberty vs. Coldspring (scrimmage)

sahen
08-20-2004, 11:53 PM
I went to the scrimmage today at liberty...a couple things stood out...

Wow Liberty's defense is killer again...and their offense looks like they have have gotten things together early this year...The bridge city scout sitting beside me sounded pretty impressed w/ the offense actually shocked that they were doing so well so early and the defense was what i expected...when u play liberty u r gonna get hit really hard...

Coldspring's 1st team really and truely didnt look like they matched up at all w/ Liberty's 1st team...it could still be cause its early and i dont know how many they had graduating and all, but the good news for them is their second team absolutely out played libertys...so their future looks bright and if their first team can get a little better they might challenge for that 3rd playoff spot but i think they wont be going to the postseason this year...

Now the thing that pissed me off about the scrimmage...i aint seen more than an hours worth of football this year yet cause this scrimmage ended out in a fight, no wait, an all out brawl...it was ridiculous for liberty, they have had 3 fights in 3 years in a row in scrimmages...i dont understand this i know people r pumped up but 3 years in a row? come on liberty guys hold ur cool...this year they messed up i think they gave coldspring more reason to beat them later on...Liberty is predicted to win 23-3a by a lot of people including me (like i count but i think they will win it) but i think it was very stupid of them to give a team that they should beat another reason to beat them...the real Liberty vs. Coldspring game in the season should be very interesting this year...

panther_pride_04
08-21-2004, 12:15 AM
Whats up Sahen....ur a panther? If so holla at yah boy............. The srimmage was off the chain.....Swift showed skill.....both sides of the ball for the panthers looked way impressive......

the panthers and there fans also showed a sense of unity tonight.........it looked lyke someone cranked up a lil john cd and got the side amp..........the panthers also "hulled" the trojans with "hands"........the student section at Memorial stadium errupted with hype.......it was about to go down..............

sahen
08-21-2004, 12:24 AM
dude...i am a panther fan and if u read what i said then u'd see that i agree w/ u that liberty completely outplayed coldspring...i also understand that sometimes fighting is something that happens but it shouldnt be a yearly thing...heck it prolly shouldnt really happen but once every 4 years if at all (thats one fight per class)...i wasnt on the field and i dont know the situation like who started it and all, but i do know liberty has been in 3 fights in 3 years now and that is gonna start giving the panthers a bad rep...i dont wanna be known as the miami of highschool football...we look thuggish out there when that happens i think it'd look a lot better to solidly pound them w/n the rules on the football field...i mean that is liberty's team...the defense pounds the crap outa u and then the give the ball to swift who pounds the crap outa u on offense..i love that type of game but fighting should be avoided at all costs...

Ulrich von Lichtenstein
08-21-2004, 02:22 AM
Okay sahen -- You evidently need a reality check. First off, Coldspring vs Liberty is not gonna happen in the regular season, seeing as how they're no longer in the same district! (Besides, nobody EVER scrimmages someone they're going to play in the regular season!)

I happened to be at that scrimmage, and I know that Liberty never got within 30 yards of the goal line on ANY level. The freshmen Panthers were outscored 2-0, I believe, and the JVers lost, 1-0 (if I remember correctly). The varsity scrimmage was a scoreless tie that was cut way short by the fracas that broke out after 4 or 5 Panthers jumped on a Coldspring kid on the Liberty sideline.

So, I guess my question is: In what aspect of the game did Liberty "completely outplay" Coldspring?

I'm all for hometown pride, but I have to call this one like I see it....Shame on the Panthers, especially if this street brawl mess is becoming a trend...

SintonFan
08-21-2004, 02:51 AM
I haven't checked the schedules but I did read sahen's comments.
When he said, "
i dont wanna be known as the miami of highschool football...we look thuggish out there " he was admitting foul on his school's part.
To make things worse he said,
i mean that is liberty's team...the defense pounds the crap outa u and then the give the ball to swift who pounds the crap outa u on offense..i love that type of game but fighting should be avoided at all costs...
One thing that should be said is, this crap should not happen in a scrimmage, especially a scrimmage! It reflects poorly on both coaching staffs. Not one, but both...:(

footballgal
08-21-2004, 09:32 AM
This is a surprise to me, last year's game between PI and LH in the playoffs, LH players nor fans were in any way acting in this manner. Maybe it was the respect they showed for PI?? Is there bad blood between these two teams? Is it the same team they have gotten into brawls with, or other teams?

So the scrimmage ended scoreless??

WOS1
08-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Fgal... Liberty Hill and Liberty are two different schools. Liberty is the team getting into the fights, not LH.:D

footballgal
08-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Thank you for that clarification WOS1, no wonder it was so out of character for Liberty Hill! :D

pantherpop
08-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Ulrich is right. In no way did Liberty dominate this scrimmage. Liberty's defense was laying the leather to Coldspring but Liberty's offense looked terrible. The offensive line just doesn't have any size. The brawl was definitly started on the Liberty sidelines but I couldn't tell if the players on the sideline initally were trying to seperate the original two boys that were fighting and took exception to the Coldspring player continuing to fight or it was them jumping into it on their own. Either way it was wrong. Coldspring players were also in the wrong. I did notice at least one of their players swinging his helmet as a weapon, even though he got tatooed a couple of times that I saw and one Coldspring coach was also seen throwing punches at the Liberty boys. Being from Liberty I was embarrased by it all but Coldspring and Liberty have had bad blood for awhile. Both of our scrimmages have been marred by fighting this year and last years scrimmage with Sante Fe was cut short because of fighting. It was a total loss of time because both teams didn't get the work in that was needed. I hope some punishment is handed out to both teams. We sure don't need Coldspring on any future schedules in my opinion.

fanofthegame
08-22-2004, 01:28 AM
I agree that fighting in a game is not very becoming of a team. Being from Liberty, I know that the community does not condone activities of this kind. In both of their scrimmages this year,one versus Santa Fe, and the other versus Coldspring, fighting was involved. In the Santa Fe scrimmage, which I attended, one of Liberty's players chased one of Santa Fe's players around the field. Later in the game, one of Liberty's linemen was choking a kid from Santa Fe.

Now in COldspring, there is more fighting. With all of the fighting, you would think the coaching staff in Liberty as well as the administration would take some kind of action to help correct the behavior of a few of the athletes that are marring the program.

panther_pride_04
08-22-2004, 01:46 AM
sahen, your Liberty fan, but have u ever been in the prorgam? do u even know whtz goin on? yall dont even know how the "thuggish" fight even started.......so basically, you see the team fighting and its just so "bad"? Man, u need to become a tarkington Longhorn fan or a Hornet of Hardin fan...........

sahen
08-22-2004, 02:34 AM
ok......whoa sorry ididnt reply before this but today i was moving my stuff up to waco for college...

first of all im sry that i used the phrase "completely outplayed" in my description of the scrimmage i forget that the scrimmages involve freshman and jv...and actually i only got there for the varsity, if u read my 1st post u can see that i said the 1ST TEAM for liberty dominated coldsprings 1st team...no one scored yes, but i mean come on, coldspring didnt get but like one 1st down....liberty's offense didnt score but they were moving the ball....the second teams as i said before were won by coldspring in my opinion....i shouldnt have said liberty completely outplayed coldspring but if that wouldve been a VARSITY game in the regular season w/ liberty vs. coldspring then it would have been a onesided game in liberty's favor barring injuries and such...

and to the panther_pride_04 guy......ok great u have panther pride and all but read my posts...no i dont know how the fight started and i even admitted that earlier and i hinted that i realize some fights cant be avoided but i said having 3 fights in 3 years ina row is ridiculous...its not a normal thing for teams to get in that many fights in consective years...if u want i can do a poll for u and find out....but im sure u can see this...im not dissing liberty for this im just saying they r getting in too many fights and im worried about the perception of the football program for this...the boys need to learn how to keep their cool...even if the other guy is doing something ridiculous beat him on the field not upside the head...

also....sry to whoever said i wasnt paying attention by saying the liberty vs. coldspring game later in the year is now screwed up...i didnt pay attention to the new districts and i even asked the person i was w/ at the scrimmage why they were scrimmaging someone they play later and they were clueless to this as well...it didnt click that the district changes mightve changed coldsprings district until u told me...

anyways....w/ that my main concern was the perception of liberty's football program w/ this brawling...people understand when u get in a fight like this 1 year and they might for 2 years, but when it starts being a yearly thing then people think u got probs...i know u can say it dont matter what people think but other schools dont have to scrimmage u and play u n nondistrict games...surely this would never get that far but u never know if it keeps up then other schools rnt gonna show up....

sahen
08-22-2004, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by panther_pride_04
sahen, your Liberty fan, but have u ever been in the prorgam? do u even know whtz goin on? yall dont even know how the "thuggish" fight even started.......so basically, you see the team fighting and its just so "bad"? Man, u need to become a tarkington Longhorn fan or a Hornet of Hardin fan...........

oh yah....i forgot this statement....i aint from liberty and i didnt graduate there...i pull for them cause my sister goes to school there and i really enjoy their type of football...my family lives there now but i go to college in waco and live there...if liberty does keep this fighting up i might just take my attendance down to tarkington or over to hardin and watch them...i'd rather pull for a buncha guys going 0-10 who loose decently than watch a 10-0 team act like a bunch of future cons on the field...this is the problem ur having....ur perception of ur program is going down the drain...any fans who r not from liberty that see this will leave if it keeps up...u prolly dont care but when everyone hates ur school some bad things can happen...it aint this bad yet and i'll still root for liberty as will many others...i just hope the fighting will be stopped so the future of this program is as bright as the present if not brighter

HoHoHo
08-22-2004, 08:31 AM
Liberty has never been accused of having any class now have they. Why is this just now coming up. Liberty has been like this for years. Liberty fans, I would think, expect it. All the sudden, after years of this, everyone is upset. I am sure this is a coaching decision to get the players ready to play a violent sport. I don't agree with it--but the majority of citizens in Liberty must agree with this type of behavior because I haven't seen anybody fired because of the fights.

pantherpop
08-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Probably because all of this has been happening in scrimmages where coaches and players both know that no penalities will be called so in reality they think there is nothing to lose. I've been attending Liberty's games for years and we've never had this problem during the regular season so maybe these kids are just getting to pumped up for a scrimmage. The people here in Liberty are behind their football teams and coaches 100%. Like I said before, I hate to miss all this time we lost from scrimmages that have been cut short because of all this but I feel that the coaching staff will take the necessary steps to put a stop to it.

Stanley
08-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Winning a game is great and sometimes communities can be proud of their kids even in a loss...

But nothing is worse than winning a game and having your community be embarassed by what they saw on the field.

Don't know anything about this scrimmage. Just an observation in general.

Old Cardinal
08-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Liberty is loaded with returnees this year. The Bridge City/Liberty game could get interesting. BC played a team in Cleveland that holds on every play, starts fight, mouths, etc: I don't remember Liberty being quite as bad but they did hold more than their share.

The game could come down to whether penalties are thrown during the game. By all rights Liberty with a returning team should win; however, Bridge City will give them a ballgame and are capable of an ole fashion upset, if Liberty gets too undisciplined.

Panther Ross
08-22-2004, 08:05 PM
Now hold on panther pop i play on the offensive line and we did good. We had two starters out. The fighting is really uncalled for, but nor do I care. Our offense is pretty good, we just had a bad night. We ran all over Santa Fe the week before. I also read that fights happen every year. I agree the fights happend last yeah and this year, but before last year's there hasnt been a big fight since the Livingston one. And that was about 5-6 years ago. Our defense did spectacular, nobody can hate against our defense. All I know is that the fight is behind and we are ready to take on Silsbee next week.

pantherpop
08-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Panther Ross
Now hold on panther pop i play on the offensive line and we did good. We had two starters out. The fighting is really uncalled for, but nor do I care. Our offense is pretty good, we just had a bad night. We ran all over Santa Fe the week before. I also read that fights happen every year. I agree the fights happend last yeah and this year, but before last year's there hasnt been a big fight since the Livingston one. And that was about 5-6 years ago. Our defense did spectacular, nobody can hate against our defense. All I know is that the fight is behind and we are ready to take on Silsbee next week.

Panther Ross I hope we are ready for Silsbee cause you have to admit we didn't get the work in that we needed. The defense should be fine this year but as I've said before I'm really worried about the offensive line. Only one starter back from last year and no size at all. Unfortunately for Liberty being such a small school you have to play the hand you're dealt. We do have all our skill people back and hopefully the offensive line will come around by the end of the season. That's not to say your not playing well now because you are. Better than I would've thought this early. Anyway Liberty will have a packed house there in Silsbee to cheer you guys on. Good Luck!!!

sahen
08-22-2004, 09:12 PM
yah Panther Ross dont know how much u care about this but the bridge city scouts i was sitting beside were impressed w/ liberty's offense...they made the comment that it was being run much better than they thought it was gonna be for this early and that some of the plays were very well executed...

panther_pride_04
08-22-2004, 09:21 PM
Whats up Ross....good game senor....how many pancakes?

panther_pride_04
08-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Old Cardinal, i was at the cleveland and bridgecity scrimmage.....bridge City looked really krunk and focus.....they look like they were in mid-season form already.......Is that the same backfield as last years?

Old Cardinal
08-22-2004, 09:45 PM
No, the short Dale Armand youth that got some yardage is the major returnee. They rotated a lot of people in and out through out the scrimmage. It's hard to tell who will start for BC at this time. It may come down to who is healthy at the moment. I personally would let the big tall youth named Cody Sparks have a shot at the tail back spot, he can fly.

WOS1
08-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that several years ago Cleveland got the death penalty for 2 years by the UIL for repeatedly getting into brawls in football. I remember that we (WO-S) got into one with them during a playoff basketball game. It was the only fight ANY WO-S team in any sport has ever been in.

Panther Ross
08-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Senor I had 5 pancakes. Ask that defensive end how it felt being lifted off the ground and put on his back after I pulled. This next game against Silsbee I am ready. I hear I have to go against one of the top prospects in the state.

"Take out your Macchu Picchu Senor!"

SENOR LEE

panther_pride_04
08-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Senor his name is Tracy Howard........about 6-2 270-280.......good luck

AggieJohn
08-25-2004, 03:01 AM
Okay from a old "friend" who wasn't in the program but saw the program's day to day actions and the in's and out's for 2 years let me give you the low dow on Liberty High School Football

It's Texas Football in it's purest, it makes Varsity Blues look like poop. It's great football, you wait for those 10 weeks during the other 42 in the year. We knew weren't as loaded as Barber's Hill or the LaGrange's, but we had heart. Liberty Football has always had two key elements. Heart and Focus. I know that might sound mushy and stupid but it's true. That's how you make it too the playoffs some 15 years or more in a row. That's how you turn an 0-4 start into a zone championship. That's how you take down an 8-0 team in 3OT when your 4-4. Sure you can offer excuses, like liberty stays in the I-form or some other back field heavy run formation, or you can blame the fact that we always had to play newton first round during their glory years. But that's Liberty Football, do we catch lucky breaks, nope not really. But the times that those boys get out there is times that this small town comes to life.

about sahen, get off his back, his as much an ex-panther as the rest of us, lord help him if sterling just stunk

about the fight, yeah it's not the best thing, i don't think that the players thought hmm...it's preseason, we should fight....i mean do you honestly think they think that...get a life on that issue...

Liberty produces some well rounded athletes, we've got 2 in the NFL right now, multiples in college, they are doing what they can.

Does your program have faults? i bet so

rack'em

pantherpop
08-25-2004, 07:18 PM
You couldn't have said it better!

Panther Ross
08-25-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by explayer2001
Okay from a old "friend" who wasn't in the program but saw the program's day to day actions and the in's and out's for 2 years let me give you the low dow on Liberty High School Football

It's Texas Football in it's purest, it makes Varsity Blues look like poop. It's great football, you wait for those 10 weeks during the other 42 in the year. We knew weren't as loaded as Barber's Hill or the LaGrange's, but we had heart. Liberty Football has always had two key elements. Heart and Focus. I know that might sound mushy and stupid but it's true. That's how you make it too the playoffs some 15 years or more in a row. That's how you turn an 0-4 start into a zone championship. That's how you take down an 8-0 team in 3OT when your 4-4. Sure you can offer excuses, like liberty stays in the I-form or some other back field heavy run formation, or you can blame the fact that we always had to play newton first round during their glory years. But that's Liberty Football, do we catch lucky breaks, nope not really. But the times that those boys get out there is times that this small town comes to life.

about sahen, get off his back, his as much an ex-panther as the rest of us, lord help him if sterling just stunk

about the fight, yeah it's not the best thing, i don't think that the players thought hmm...it's preseason, we should fight....i mean do you honestly think they think that...get a life on that issue...

Liberty produces some well rounded athletes, we've got 2 in the NFL right now, multiples in college, they are doing what they can.

Does your program have faults? i bet so

rack'em

Ah man you could have not said it better than that right there. Right on!!!

sahen
08-25-2004, 09:42 PM
thanks explayer....i was trying to lay lowkey on the sterling thing though...i was waiting til we finally had a winning season to declare my 5a allegiance....::sigh:: true it could be another 20 years....oh well hopefully this bored will still be here when it happens....go rangers, go panthers, but most importantly sic'em bears!

WOS1
08-26-2004, 10:20 AM
That there is an awesome story... makes me want to go get in a fight...:eek: :D

j_dog
08-26-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by WOS1
That there is an awesome story... makes me want to go get in a fight...:eek: :D
Not this week you don'T! Talking like that, I may not show up for the t-shirt signing! :D :D