PDA

View Full Version : Orangefield 32, Deweyville 7

Bobcatfan4life
08-20-2004, 10:36 PM
They played a two quarter scrimmage tonight with OF winning 32-7. I didn't get there until the end of the first, but from what I saw we looked pretty good. Defense really impressed me.

BHKrystal06
08-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Congrats OF! :clap:

Cat22
08-20-2004, 10:51 PM
I saw the whole scrimmage tonight and OF look pretty good. Just remember who they were playing tonight. 2A Deweyville is not that good. I'm not taking anything away from our guys cause they played hard all night. Keep playing that way guys and you will do ok. I think once district rolls around we will be in the hunt for a playoff spot. I was really inpressed with our running game tonight. Both backs looked real good. Good Luck Bobcats.

GS#17
08-21-2004, 12:09 AM
Congrats and best of luck on the upcoming season! :)

Old Cardinal
08-21-2004, 01:34 PM
I was impressed with OF's overall program last season. The JV and younger, were not just baby-sat with a 5 or 6 play offense. All the teams were able to execute some fairly complicated plays. I think OF will more than hold their own this season. They teach basic football over there and pride themselves on their participation in 7 on 7.
After they beat BC with a superb passing attack the BC offense tried to switch to a passing balanced attack overnight. It was not effective because they had discouraged 7 on 7 play and had no pass play timing developed to make such a radical switch. On the other hand, OF used the balanced attack to their advantage even beating Anahuac the District Champs handily. They also had La Grange beat but a Coaching mental lapse let La Grange back into the game. The Bobcats for a smaller enrollment school are to be admired!

Backwoods
08-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Looking foward to seeing y'all Thursday OC. We'll see how BC does against another 2A team from the same district as Deweyville.

Bobkat
08-22-2004, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the kind words Old Cardinal. As for the scrimmage we really got to see a bunch of kids get some quality time on the field Friday night. It was a good scrimmage for that reason. Deweyville played hard but they will really struggle this year in their new district. They don't have much talent, but they play very hard. Orangefield outscored them 3-0 in the controlled part of the scrimmage and then outscored them 32-7 in a half of play. If Orangefield can run the ball this season like they have in their two scrimmages they might have a shot of sneaking in the playoffs. They will grow up alot this year, and gain a tremendous amount of experience to go into next season with. I think we're going to be better than alot of people expect though, can't wait till Friday night. Go Cats!!!

Pudlugger
08-22-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
They also had La Grange beat but a Coaching mental lapse let La Grange back into the game.

OC, I was at that game and OF did not have La Grange beaten. The score was tied and OF was intercepted on the LG 23 yardline with about a minute and a half to play. How is that a coaching error? Remember the game isn't over until the last tick on the clock, especially when it is tied 14-14. It was a very even game with the Bobcats edging the Leps by a few yards passing and the Leps over the Bobcats rushing. I don't recall the first downs but I remember the Leps had a couple more than the Bobcats. Finally, the 84 yard run by Chase Anderle on the following possession was not a fluke. Anderle had a long career at La Grange racking such gains up with his speed and athleticism(All State Qb 2001, District MVP 2002, 2003 to mention a few of his honors). OF had a tremendous athlete as well in Farias but the better team won that night. It was a great game, one OF should be proud of, and no blame should be layed at their coaches feet for the outcome.

Old Cardinal
08-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Pud...I thought OF had the better team.... I was there and a ball was intercepted close to the goal line by LG. Yes, there was an 84 yard run from that point and then a winning LG field goal. My point is that OF had an excellent kicker and were moving the ball well, via Hamrick, on offense. They had plenty of time to drive a little closer and kick the field goal to win the contest. The intercepted pass near the goal line ultimately cost them the ballgame. As an outsider there to just watch a ballgame, my impression was the the better team lost that night.
La Grange never gave up and their win was a tribute to playing with all your heart in a postseason contest.

La Grange
08-22-2004, 01:41 PM
...moving the ball well, via Hamrick, on offense...

Hamrick was a decent runningback, but he only had around 60 yards with about 35 attempts. Farias was the main reason Orangefield was in the game, he was a great athelete. Fluke or no fluke LG still came out with the win. LG lost drives in the redzone just like we did in all of our losses, fumbling the ball on the 5 more than once is a hard thing to overcome. I was on the field for the interception, and I ran down the sideline with Anderles long run it was truly a great game.

Pudlugger
08-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Pud...I thought OF had the better team.... I was there and a ball was intercepted close to the goal line by LG. Yes, there was an 84 yard run from that point and then a winning LG field goal. My point is that OF had an excellent kicker and were moving the ball well, via Hamrick, on offense. They had plenty of time to drive a little closer and kick the field goal to win the contest. The intercepted pass near the goal line ultimately cost them the ballgame. As an outsider there to just watch a ballgame, my impression was the the better team lost that night.
La Grange never gave up and their win was a tribute to playing with all your heart in a postseason contest.

Live by the pass die by the pass. OF was way overdue for that turnover IMO. It was no fluke, LG was the better team by stats as well as score. Part of the game is turnovers and OF had a big one there followed by an 84 yard break away run to seal the deal. You need to play the entire 48 minutes at the level these teams were at in the post season. OF may have looked like the better team in the fourth quarter until this point but they couldn't close. It was one of the best games in recent history for both teams I'm sure. Nothing to feel bad about for the Bobcats as LG has great respect for that team.:)