WOS1
08-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Jasper looking a little rusty...

mwynn05
08-20-2004, 08:34 PM
whoa thats kind of surprising

WOS1
08-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Nederland is going to be tough this year.

mwynn05
08-20-2004, 08:40 PM
verry true i dont know much about them but i always hear about them going deep into the 4a playoffs but jaser is no slouch

WOS1
08-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Nederland usually does that with very little coming back each year. This year, they have a lot back. It's possible they may go farther this year than ever before...

Yes, Jasper is tough. They just don't look ready right now, it may be different in the second half.

j_dog
08-20-2004, 09:21 PM
Nederland pretty well had their way with Jasper last year in their scrimmage also, and Jasper still had a good year. Of course, Nederland does have a very good 4a program. It will be telling to see if Jasper can stiffen their defense in the second half. This is how you get better, playing the tough teams. :)

Now, Nederland does have at least one or two state championships if I remember correctly, if so it will be tough to do better than ever before. ;)

Of course, it is too soon to analyze, but Silsbee held Nederland to a 3-1 edge last week. Some 3a'ers have been quick to dismiss Silsbee, but they are probably under-rated, or Jasper is vastly over-rated. Perhaps it may be a combination of the two. :confused:

SintonFan
08-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Come on Jasper! Even though it's just a scrimmage and it doesn't count. Even though you are just final tuning your game and not trying to win. Even though records don't count until district starts. Even though yall play just for the playoffs.
Come on Jasper!:clap: :clap:

j_dog
08-20-2004, 09:45 PM
SintonFan, thank you for the encouragement! :) Jasper has five more games in a row against teams like Nederland. You are right, they had better get their game tuned in a hurry. :( :)

Bigdog1
08-20-2004, 10:04 PM
33-13 Final, Nederland looked pretty good..

GS#17
08-20-2004, 11:51 PM
Nederland looked very good and Jasper had a rough night doing anything offensively or defensively against them. Jasper standouts were their QB and RB (#34), but they couldn't keep NED out of the backfield and they couldn't get to the corner. When it looked like something would open up for them, the NED defense would close the gap and shut it down. They had a few big plays, but were stopped most of the night.

Defensively, Jasper had a very tough time slowing down the NED offense. Again, they lost the battle at the line, and that really opened things up for NED. Special teams for Jasper will need to improve. They gave up a safety from the 25 or so when the ball was snapped over the punters head, and the PK wasn't very solid. The punter averaged no more than 30 yards per kick, if that.

I don't think this scrimmage gave an accurate picture of where Jasper is, though. Jasper didn't match up well against NED -- they ran into a bigger, stronger, and faster team that will fare well in 4A. I still look for Jasper to make some noise this year.

X21AAAPlayer
08-21-2004, 12:26 AM
I don't know if I saw the J.V. team or what but Jasper looked a little small compared to previous years.

pinecone
08-21-2004, 12:49 AM
Nederland, Popualtion 17000 vs Jasper, Population 8000.That about said it all for us. They were twice as good as us. We gave away the first 2 TD's by virtue of getting the ball first and getting penalties on every play. When you start on the 30, there is no kick-off, and you go backwards on every play by penalty, then the outcome can be very bad. O line and D line have a lot to learn. We have mostly a new crew on the line. We made sophomore mistakes, but Hay, we do play some sophomores. Nederalnd has very good size where we are the average 3A team in size. Our big guys all graduated in the last 2 years. Final was 33-13.
We did outscore them in the 2nd half, but part of that was that we matched better with their 2nd team. We had one TD called back for a penalty and had numerous good plays nullilfied by penalties. Hope we get the kinks worked out.:(

Lots of WOS players, fans, and coaches in the stands, all licking their chops, because we didn't look so good. Heard one player say Jasper didn't look like they had any speed.

X21AAAPlayer
08-21-2004, 12:53 AM
Well whatever the case good luck to yall.. As well as to WOS... Ill be in the stands on the WOS side.. only because I have a cousin that goes there. I don't really care who wins but I want to see one Heck of a game!

kepdawg
08-21-2004, 12:57 AM
Things could be a little rough for the Bulldogs in nondistrict, but that could be said of just about any team playing the nondistrict schedule Jasper has this year. Nederland should be an excellent team this year and I wish them the best of luck. The last few years Jasper's defense hasn't been great nor has the special teams been anything worth writing home about. It will be hard for Jasper to maintain the size they have had the past few years. With all that said, I have faith that by the time district rolls around the 'dogs will be ready to go. Good luck and go get those Mustangs next week!

SintonFan
08-21-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by pinecone
Nederland, Popualtion 17000 vs Jasper, Population 8000.That about said it all for us. They were twice as good as us. We gave away the first 2 TD's by virtue of getting the ball first and getting penalties on every play. When you start on the 30, there is no kick-off, and you go backwards on every play by penalty, then the outcome can be very bad. O line and D line have a lot to learn. We have mostly a new crew on the line. We made sophomore mistakes, but Hay, we do play some sophomores. Nederalnd has very good size where we are the average 3A team in size. Our big guys all graduated in the last 2 years. Final was 33-13.
We did outscore them in the 2nd half, but part of that was that we matched better with their 2nd team. We had one TD called back for a penalty and had numerous good plays nullilfied by penalties. Hope we get the kinks worked out.:(

Lots of WOS players, fans, and coaches in the stands, all licking their chops, because we didn't look so good. Heard one player say Jasper didn't look like they had any speed.
I say just wait...
and watch.
You guys will make the playoffs and then make noise. I have great faith in that team of yours. :cool: :cool: :cool:
I regret that I can't make the game next week. I have a job interview and the distance traveled would be too great. I have to buy new shoes instead of gas.:)

WOS1
08-21-2004, 07:01 AM
Again... you can't put too much stock in scrimmages. It's kind of like preseason in the pro's. Coaches are trying to figure out what they've got and put all of the pieces together. It's hard not to keep it in perspective, but when they start to count, everyone will raise their level of play. When we lost to Dayton I was like... uh oh..., then when we beat Ozen I'm thinking... Alright!! Then I have to remember, their only scrimmages.

Could next Friday please hurry!!!

whatusay2
08-21-2004, 12:30 PM
The self-destructive mistakes and weak offensive line worry me the most. I hope to see some improvements in these two areas next week. We always seem to gel during the time of season that it counts most--district play. But, the danger of losing too many games in pre-season is that you risk losing your self-confidence.

JasperDog94
08-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
...Jasper didn't match up well against NED -- they ran into a bigger, stronger, and faster team that will fare well in 4A... Bigger I believe. Stronger I believe. Faster I don't believe. Equal speed I could believe. When speed is equal and someone else is bigger and stronger, then it looks faster. Just my 2 cents.

GS#17
08-22-2004, 06:21 PM
You might be right... It just looked like when something opened, the NED defenders got their quicker than the Jasper QB/RBs and closed it down. NED DBs were outrun by the Jasper WRs here and there (particularly on a few deep pass plays), but overall (to be safe :) ) I don't think they were any slower than Jasper.

JasperDog94
08-23-2004, 09:05 AM
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually glad that Jasper lost. This will give them plenty to work on this week and in future weeks. If Nederland hadn't exposed these weaknesses, I can guarantee that WOS would have.

WOS1
08-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Yes 94, I would prefer the Dogs scrimmaging a patsy and be lured into a false sense of security.;)

j_dog
08-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
If Nederland hadn't exposed these weaknesses, I can guarantee that WOS would have.
I am sure WOS will find some new weaknesses to exploit! :D ;)