PDA

View Full Version : Olympics Updates - August 20, 2004

Phil C
08-20-2004, 10:07 AM
10:00 A.M.

The USA had good results but alas this morning China has had it. I think they are having their strong events today such as in diving so hopefully we will catch up and pass them again. China now has more medals 37 than USA 36 and leads us in gold medals 17 to 15. Hopefully everything will change later today but by my system the top five teams are

1. China with 308 points

2. USA with 304 points

3. Japan with 180 points

4. Russia with 170 points

5. Australia with 158 points

CHS_Grad '85
08-20-2004, 10:44 AM
U.S.A.
U.S.A.
U.S.A.
U.S.A.

Phil C
08-20-2004, 10:51 AM
10:45 A.M.

Alas! China has gained three more medals and leads the total 40 to 36 for the USA. Fortunately none of them were gold but they lead us now330 points to 304. With diving coming up in which they usually do well it may get worse before it will get better. But track is coming soon! :) Unfortunately our women's volleyball got eliminated and the Men's are almost out it. Our boxers may not help us because I think only 6 of them are left in that competition. Our softball team has cinched at least the bronze but hopefully they will get the gold. It will probably be between us in Japan there for the gold. We have a chance to pick up the gold in sailing with one race left. If our sailers lose the last race they can still win the gold if they don't lose by more than two boat lengths to Great Britain. I saw the swimming race where the judge ruled our swimmer made an illegal turn. A terrible call and maybe reflects some of the anti USA theme there. The replays showed it was a rediculous call. The call was not upheld because of a technicality so fortunately saner heads prevailed.

Phil C
08-20-2004, 11:11 AM
11:10 A.M.

I don't know what is wrong with the Olympics site. Now they have different scores so I don't know what to believe but someone is goofing up somewhere. Now they say the total medal count is 36 for both China and USA and are totally even in everything. That is good news for USA if it is true and it changes what was given before because by my system the USA and China are tied with 298 points each followed by Australia with 218 points, then Russia with 178 points, and Japan with 154 points. Hope they get their act together and give us better and more accurate information. Whew! GO USA!

Phil C
08-20-2004, 02:16 PM
2:25 P.M.

I don't know what happened to the count on internet news but hopefully the medal count is accurate now.

The USA now has 40 medal count to China's 36 and leads in total gold medals 17 to 15. By my system the scores are now:

1. USA with 332 points

2. China place with 298 points

3. Russia with 210 points

4. Japan with 170 points

5. Australia with 168 points

The USA women's soccer team beat Japan to advance to the semi finals. Unfortunately they meet Germany in the semis and the odds are the winner of this match will win the gold and Germany would have to be favored. Of course you never know what may happen. Let's hope the women can win and advance to the championship. It is 10:25 P.M. in Greece so today's events may be over. GO USA!!

SintonFan
08-20-2004, 02:42 PM
The track and field just started so we should be fine.
GO USA!!!

Hupernikomen
08-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
2:25 P.M.

I don't know what happened to the count on internet news but hopefully the medal count is accurate now.

The USA now has 40 medal count to China's 36 and leads in total gold medals 17 to 15. By my system the scores are now:

1. USA with 332 points

2. China place with 298 points

3. Russia with 210 points

4. Japan with 170 points

5. Australia with 168 points

The USA women's soccer team beat Japan to advance to the semi finals. Unfortunately they meet Germany in the semis and the odds are the winner of this match will win the gold and Germany would have to be favored. Of course you never know what may happen. Let's hope the women can win and advance to the championship. It is 10:25 P.M. in Greece so today's events may be over. GO USA!!

Since when is anyone favored over the American women in soccer? We are going to avenge that 3-0 world cup lose and send the fab five off to a glorious retirement!!!

Phil C
08-20-2004, 04:20 PM
Hyper - I hope you are absolutely right! GO USA!