PDA

View Full Version : Your Teams "All Time Skill Team"

District303aPastPlayer
08-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Im curious... tell me who you think makes up your alltime skill team...
QB-
FB-
RB-
WR1-
WR2-

fill those in...

Chris Hart
08-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Burnet QB-Stephen McGee
Burnet FB- Phillip Massoletti
Burnet HB- Terry Kircus
Burnet WR1- Jordan Shipley
Burnet WR2- Cody Warner

I would have loved to have them all on the same team.:)

Rabbit'93
08-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Forney:

QB - Caleb Hanie
HB - Dabryan Blanton
HB - Joe Ransom
FB - Johnny Pittman

WR are a little tricky seeing as Forney doesn't throw much.

crzyjournalist03
08-18-2004, 05:26 PM
you don't think that Caleb Hanie would be an all-timer for Forney? I know he didn't throw a heck of a lot, but I think he has a great arm and size to succeed in college and possibly the pros.

Gobbla2001
08-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Maybe Old Green can help me out, but I know two of 'em that he'd most-likely pick...

QB - Brad Goebel (sp?) - 1985 was his last year, I believe...
RB - Robert Straight - Last season was the '88 season, is still the 5th all-time in rushing yards (Cedric Benson went over his record in his last game at Lee)...

G-P King
08-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Im curious... tell me who you think makes up your alltime skill team...
QB-
FB-
RB-
WR1-
WR2-

fill those in... Marty akins QB, Greg Keener FB, Martin dosset RB, Jamie deleon WR.

jason
08-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Forney:

QB - Shane Ross / Clay Beason
HB - Dabryan Blanton
HB - Joe Ransom
FB - Johnny Pittman

WR are a little tricky seeing as Forney doesn't throw much. what about HB Keith Roberts and Justin McDaniel

Gobbla2001
08-18-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by jason
what about HB Keith Roberts and Justin McDaniel

No, they sucked...

Seriously, I stopped selling them six months ago...

Rabbit'93
08-18-2004, 06:04 PM
what about HB Keith Roberts and Justin McDaniel
Actually I never even thought of Caleb but now that I think of it I will edit my post:doh: ! Caleb can do it all. He might not be as fast as Shane or Clay but he can still get the yards when needed.

As far as RB goes. No one can dispute DB. I believe Joe was better than Keith or JMc. Joe led the entire state of texas in rushing back in '80 I believe. Hard to argue with those #'s. I played with Keith and he is awesome but he would be #3 on my list. Justin is a hard call IMO. He didn't have spectacular #'s but he was a hard runner.

Crzy & Jason what WR would you put. From back in my days it would be Jay Anthony and Guy Rogers. Both were tight ends but had amazing hands. I know Forney has thrown the ball more as of late so I would be interested in your picks.

jason
08-18-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Actually I never even thought of Caleb but now that I think of it I will edit my post:doh: ! Caleb can do it all. He might not be as fast as Shane or Clay but he can still get the yards when needed.

As far as RB goes. No one can dispute DB. I believe Joe was better than Keith or JMc. Joe led the entire state of texas in rushing back in '80 I believe. Hard to argue with those #'s. I played with Keith and he is awesome but he would be #3 on my list. Justin is a hard call IMO. He didn't have spectacular #'s but he was a hard runner.

Crzy & Jason what WR would you put. From back in my days it would be Jay Anthony and Guy Rogers. Both were tight ends but had amazing hands. I know Forney has thrown the ball more as of late so I would be interested in your picks. i only said Robert and JMc because i remember watching them play when i was little...the guy you're talkin about, i dont quite remember lol...as for a WR, how about TJ Gilmer?? he always seemed to have a good game, even with DaBryan rushing for 300 yards a game lol...whenever they threw him the ball he caught it.....

District303aPastPlayer
08-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by G-P King
Marty akins QB, Martin dosset RB,
The two most successful football players from GP in History right? Akins went on to UT and Dosset plays for the Hammerheads in the IFL

crzyjournalist03
08-18-2004, 06:12 PM
TJ is a good pick...I really can't think of any that really stood out game after game even though we have been throwing more...I'd probably have to go with Coy Davis just for his consistency and one monumental catch in the playoffs...but there's probably some better all-timers that were before my time.

District303aPastPlayer
08-18-2004, 06:24 PM
QB- Rick Dyer
FB- Matt Smith (only 2000 yd rusher in SHS History)
RB- Robert Hughes
WR1- Stephen Trujillo
WR2- Brandon Salone

some may not agree with my team... but put them together... would be greatness...

3afan2K3
08-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
TJ is a good pick...I really can't think of any that really stood out game after game even though we have been throwing more...I'd probably have to go with Coy Davis just for his consistency and one monumental catch in the playoffs...but there's probably some better all-timers that were before my time.
What about Jason Laury, wasnt he real good?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-18-2004, 06:46 PM
For Port Isabel, here's what I would think to be the all-time best at skill positions. On some positions I'll list more than 1 person mainly because I think they deserve some mention.

QB - Donald Guillot, Gabe Villarreal
RB - Travis Sanders, Misael Iracheta, Jimmy Gonzales, Juan Cepeda
FB - Raul "Tinker" Villarreal, Johnny Nieto
WR - Gilbert Verduzco
WR - Kevin Earl
WR - Victor Baldovinos

Old Tiger
08-18-2004, 07:20 PM
QB - Blade Bassler
FB - Chris Huff
HB - Jamal Williams
WR - PJ Williams
WR - Ray Brown

These are some of the best I can think of....

Sandman
08-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Palestine

QB- Bill Bradley
RB- Adrian Peterson
RB- Jerry Hall
WR- Elzie Pryor
WR- Lester Miller
TE- Mike Chambers

Honorable Mention: QB- Rod Rhodes, Newell Kane, Julius Davis; RB- Ivory Lee Brown, Roderick Gill; WR- Lorne Simmons, Kelvin Carr, Larry Nixon

Any Palestine fans feel free to add to my list.

Bulldog92
08-18-2004, 08:11 PM
QB- Ben Bronson
RB- Reggie Davis
RB- James Hadnot
WR- Terence Davis
WR- Jarvis Murchison
TE- John Davis

I'm sure there are some guys we could put in Murchison's place, but Jasper hasn't really ever been known as a passing school and there aren't a lot of options at that position. He was signed to Oklahoma State, but didn't make the grades necessary and went somewhere else. Reggie played WR at TCU, Ben played WR at Baylor and briefly for the Colts, Terence played WR at McNeese and briefly for the Chiefs, James also played with KC, and John has played with Minnesota and Chicago in the NFL. That's a pretty solid group...:D

Matthew328
08-18-2004, 08:13 PM
Everman's all time skill team..

QB Michael Benton
RB Terrance Cook
FB JJ Jennings
WR Johnathan Harrell
WR Blaine Harrell

Lots of honorble mentions though....

QB James Polk
RB Theo Miller
RB Derrus Wilson
RB Fred Starling
FB Estebanon Barnes
FB Terrance Sanders
WR JD Hill

spirate_9
08-18-2004, 09:36 PM
originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

QB- Rick Dyer
FB- Matt Smith (only 2000 yd rusher in SHS History)
RB- Robert Hughes
WR1- Stephen Trujillo
WR2- Brandon Salone

some may not agree with my team... but put them together... would be greatness...

No Marcus Charles or Adrian Alaniz???

Mustang '89
08-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
QB - Blade Bassler
FB - Chris Huff
HB - Jamal Williams
WR - PJ Williams
WR - Ray Brown

These are some of the best I can think of....

How about Donnie Brooks RB. Have you heard of him, I know he was a little before your time.

Old Tiger
08-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Yes I have, but Jamal Williams is Rockdale's all time leading rusher. His nephew is on our team(varsity) as a soph.

j_dog
08-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog92
QB- Ben Bronson
RB- Reggie Davis
RB- James Hadnot
WR- Terence Davis
WR- Jarvis Murchison
TE- John Davis

....:D
I suggest Derrick Armstrong for Jasper's wide-receiver because he is now playing that position for the NFL Texans. :) Otherwise, I concur. :)

QB- Ben Bronson
RB- Reggie Davis
RB- James Hadnot
WR- Terence Davis
WR- DERRICK ARMSTRONG
TE- John Davis

District303aPastPlayer
08-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by spirate_9

No, ...

-- Dyer was impressive with an okay supporting cast... Alaniz had one hell of a supporting class to match his talents.. Dyer was a lefty for one... played his ENTIRE Sr year with a broken hand, and did a pretty dang good job if you ask me..

--what more can i say about matt smith except no one has rushed for 2000 yards but him.. and robert hughes is one of the most impressive, hard to tackle backs i have ever seen play HS ball, not to mention he was 6'4ish... so taking him down would be a feat within itself...

just for kicks.. all time TE - Kris Lamb

SintonFan
08-18-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by spirate_9
Adrian his junior year seemed to have more confidence throwing then.(I wish the best for him and Marcus:))
Marcus was an awesome workhorse.
For QB, I'd throw in Flores(help me out old timers) who set South Texas passing yard records in the early 80's. The records might be for only the coastal bend but that is good enough for me.
I don't know much about Dyer. I've heard about him. Was this during the down years? Sorry Rick, I've met you but we didn't discuss football. Only gas or diesel.:(

Bulldog92
08-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
I suggest Derrick Armstrong for Jasper's wide-receiver because he is now playing that position for the NFL Texans. :) Otherwise, I concur. :)

QB- Ben Bronson
RB- Reggie Davis
RB- James Hadnot
WR- Terence Davis
WR- DERRICK ARMSTRONG
TE- John Davis
I knew there was someone I totally spaced. Thanks for pointing that out. :D

kepdawg
08-19-2004, 01:25 AM
Did Derrick actually do anything noteworthy on the field as a WR for Jasper? I can't find much stats wise, but according to the 97 DCTF he was listed as a TB heading into his senior season. It also states that he had 9 receptions for 155 yards his junior season. I know he is having some success as a WR now, but it shocked me to see his name mentioned on this thread as a WR.

SintonFan
08-19-2004, 02:09 AM
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/spezial/Fool/mog.gif

sinton66
08-19-2004, 06:42 AM
I still think the Old days were pretty good in Sinton. Got to go wayyyyy back for my picks.

Qb- Gerald Hesseltine
Rb- Tom Marler
Fb- Mike Marler

Of course, on this team THERE WERE NO WIDE RECEIVERS.

If I picked one to put in there with them, I'd mention Tommy Green. Tommy never got many balls thrown to him, but had that blazing speed.

spiveyrat
08-19-2004, 06:43 AM
I'm not from Cameron, but I can do their list:

QB: Billy Pittman
RB: Billy Pittman
FB: Billy Pittman
WR1: Billy Pittman
WR2: Billy Pittman

I swear that guy played every position. I think he even threw some passes to himself! :eek:

Bulldog92
08-19-2004, 08:28 AM
He did a good job blocking for himself too and held for his own kicks...:D The guy really seemed like a one-man team. :)

Cat22
08-19-2004, 08:50 AM
Orangefield

QB - Jeff Granger
FB - Tommy Peevy
RB - Toby Schultz
WR - Austin Farias
WR - Todd McManus

Others
QB - John Modica
FB - ?
RB - Beaux Deville, Johnny White
WR - Dominick Menerd
WR - Calvin Sharp, James Freeland, Wayne Guidry

Maybe Bobkat has some others.

GUNHO
08-19-2004, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bulldog92
[B]QB- Ben Bronson
RB- Reggie Davis
RB- James Hadnot
WR- Terence Davis
WR- Jarvis Murchison
TE- John Davis

There were a few of those Hadnot boy's weren't there?Seems like for years WO-S was having to defened against them.They were good.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Vernon Lions

QB- Ken Collums
(Won High School state championship '90 & Won National Championship at UCA a Division II college '91 as a true freshman)

RB- James Dixon
(Set Oil Bowl Record for most yards rushing, played for the Dallas Cowboys)

RB- Derrick Richardson
(All time school leading Rusher. Won High School state championship '90)

j_dog
08-19-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Did Derrick actually do anything noteworthy on the field as a WR for Jasper? I can't find much stats wise, but according to the 97 DCTF he was listed as a TB heading into his senior season. It also states that he had 9 receptions for 155 yards his junior season. I know he is having some success as a WR now, but it shocked me to see his name mentioned on this thread as a WR.
You are right, he was a RB in high school. If I am remembering correctly, our WOS fans probably have him and his brother Lawrence etched in their memories. I think the final score in the 96 or 97 game was 41-0 in Jasper's favor. I think it was mainly Derrick who ran wild on them. Of course, we are truly talking WORLD CLASS speed here. Lawrence made the USA junior national team about that time as a sprinter and competed in Australia.

I mentioned him as a WR because he is playing that position as a pro, apparently is highly regarded by the Texans. That may be splitting hairs, but it is good enough for me. :) This is certainly not the only case of a Jasper player excelling at WR after playing running back at Jasper. David Scott from back in 1976 is a prime example. For that matter, James Hadnot is listed above as a RB but he was primarily a TE and LB at Jasper, especially his senior year in 75. He did his RB at Texas Tech and Kansas City Chiefs. Oliver (Bull) Hadnot made first team all-state their senior year at Jasper, so Jasper did not need James at RB. Tech is where James made his RB name.

jason
08-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by 3afan2K3
What about Jason Laury, wasnt he real good? he was a db

Hupernikomen
08-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog92
QB- Ben Bronson
RB- Reggie Davis
RB- James Hadnot
WR- Terence Davis
WR- Jarvis Murchison
TE- John Davis

I'm sure there are some guys we could put in Murchison's place, but Jasper hasn't really ever been known as a passing school and there aren't a lot of options at that position. He was signed to Oklahoma State, but didn't make the grades necessary and went somewhere else. Reggie played WR at TCU, Ben played WR at Baylor and briefly for the Colts, Terence played WR at McNeese and briefly for the Chiefs, James also played with KC, and John has played with Minnesota and Chicago in the NFL. That's a pretty solid group...:D

Ben was a excellent qb, but I would give at least honorable mention to our qb from 2 years ago. (man I have a bad memory on names)

Can't remember who it was but back in 94 or 95 ish we had a RB that put up some really good numbers...might be thinking of one of those Armstrong boys.

BTW Murchinson went to Lamar and led the nation in rushing. (I think?!?)

Old Green
08-20-2004, 06:19 AM
Cuero :
QB - Brad Goebel
RB - Robert Strait
FB - Nathaniel Johnson
WR - Don Arroyo
WR - Charlie Arndt

Hannibal
08-20-2004, 08:22 AM
Have to agree with '66 about Hesseltine and the Marler boys. I have seen the old game films and they were awesome. Not to take away anything from those who came later, but those guys were true believers in "3 yards and a cloud of dust."

Mack May wasn't too bad at QB either and "Bird" Cantu could really fly down the field.

True94
08-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Manor

rb- mike putney
rb-jon wyndum
fb-chux nwoko
wr-omont wash
wr-anthony swain

District303aPastPlayer
08-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Cuero :

WR - Don Arroyo

related to adam arroyo?

kaorder1999
08-20-2004, 02:33 PM
D.J. Jones was a good receiver and made a lot of touchdown catches. T.J. Gilmer was a good reciever but I think a lot of his success came because defenses had nine in the box trying to stop DB. But hey....thats part of the game. Justin McDaniel was a heck of a runner but like Rabbit 93 said....his #'s werent spectacular but you have to take into consideration that their was another 1000 yard rusher on the team with McDaniel in Dewberry. If McDaniel were the only man he could have had some pretty impressive numbers. Jeremy McCoy made some nice catches. Michael McGill was a good receiver and TE Russell BNannister and Aaron Tunnell was used some too!

Its hard to pick receivers cause you are right...forney didnt throw a lot.

Hanie is a good pick at QB

jason
08-20-2004, 02:35 PM
what about that Ragsdale guy? did he ever do anything worth noting?? :D :D :D

Old Green
08-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
related to adam arroyo?
His Little Brother

District303aPastPlayer
08-20-2004, 02:52 PM
thought so... adam arroyo won a couple of state titles with the gobblers if im not mistaken...

Rabbit'93
08-20-2004, 03:35 PM
what about that Ragsdale guy? did he ever do anything worth noting?? :D :D :D
Ya know... I don' t remember that guy;)

j_dog
08-20-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Ben was a excellent qb, but I would give at least honorable mention to our qb from 2 years ago. (man I have a bad memory on names)

The Jasper QB you are talking about was Rodriguez Mitchell. Yes, he was very, very good also. I would still give a very slight edge to Ben because he could literally put the team on his back and carry it. To paraphrase a quote from WOS coach Hooks, you spent one day preparing for the Jasper team, and spent the rest of the week preparing for Ben Bronson. By the way, I hear that the sophmore QB for Jasper is being talked about in Ben Bronson terms. Hope that is accurate. :)

Kakarot
08-21-2004, 02:04 AM
What about your best Defensive guys?
MLB
LB
LB
DB
Db
DB
DB

theyoefnshow
08-24-2004, 10:58 PM
For the record, I can do Cameron's list. Since 1996 anyway.
Believe it or not, the best QB was NOT in fact Billy Pittman but one Kal Kelley. Anyone that remembers the 96 team's playoff run remembers Kal. He was fast AND accurate. Had an awesome receiver in George Ward as well.
So:
QB Kal Kelley 95-96
RB Ed Lewis 98-00
FB Cedric Wells 98-00
WR hmm.....George was good but I gotta give this one to Scott Cummings, 96-98;
WR 2 George only played his Sr (96) year. Who knows how good he could have been had he played all through his highschool career

Old Tiger
08-24-2004, 11:01 PM
Is Wells the really good FB that got arrested? yoefnshow?

Old Tiger
08-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I'm not from Cameron, but I can do their list:

QB: Billy Pittman
RB: Billy Pittman
FB: Billy Pittman
WR1: Billy Pittman
WR2: Billy Pittman

I swear that guy played every position. I think he even threw some passes to himself! :eek: lmao...

Old Tiger
08-24-2004, 11:04 PM
How about everyones best practice team skill position players? :D

theyoefnshow
08-25-2004, 01:52 AM
nope, ur thinkin of Miller.....man I forgot about him....