PDA

View Full Version : People near Port Aransas/Rockport.....

Burnet Dawg06
07-18-2003, 09:19 AM
Hey Everyone, how are things down at the coast after the hurricane? I heard that some people in Victoria are still without power and I was wondering how bad off Rockport and Port A is. I will be heading down there in a few days.

Gobbla2001
07-18-2003, 09:32 AM
Port Lavaca was the main hit... I don't know for a fact how Rockport and Port A are, but I'm guessing since they're both around 50 miles 'south' of PL that they didn't get it 'too' bad... The storm's are always worse around the eye and north of the eye... I could be wrong, though...

Gobbla2001
07-18-2003, 10:18 AM
If you're planning on doing any fishing while you're in Rockport I can clue you in on how to catch some specks...

Go to the 'Crabby Shrimper' peir on Fulton beach... $1.50 a rod, good until the next morning...

It can't be a full moon, though due to the fact if there's too much natural light the fish won't depend on the artificial light...

Go down to the end of the peir, go to the left branch and fish by the light facing straight out... Get there a little while before the sun goes down to get a spot... If you don't you're screwed because those disrespectful people with 10, 10 foot long fishing polls are gunna hog the area when they're not even using the light...

Get an all white (very important) luer that is no longer than about 3 and a half inches (also very important)... It needs to be soft plastic, like a worm... If you go to the Wal-Mart or whatever they might not have any, but they'll have some kinda three-inch long, soft-plastic, white luer of some sort... You might want to get a VERY small duty weight (size of a bee-bee) just incase the wind is coming in too strong for you to get a good cast, yet light enough to keep your luer withing five inches of the surface... Cast out somewhere within the light or a tad outside of the light and slowly reel in, letting the luer drift with the flow of the waves... Last time I did this I brought in 12 keeper specs in 30 minutes while people using fancy luers didn't catch crap...

If the moon-lighting is right, you'll hear nothing but specks snapping at bait-fish on top of the water... Sounds like a finger-snapping machine gun out there... You should catch a lot of fish...

That's my fishin' tip for the day...

Hook 'Em!

Doon
07-18-2003, 10:31 AM
Everything is cool down this way. Rockport and Port A were evacuated, however, like the Gobbla said, most of the damage was Port Lavaca and Victoria. They had the ferries running at Port A that same day. Welcome.

Gobbla2001
07-18-2003, 10:59 AM
PS. Some Cory Morrow's good for the trip down, and some Taco Bell's good for when you get there... It helps get me in the fishin' mood...

PSS. Don't bring a chair on to the peir, you won't have time to sit down, if all goes well!

<small>[ July 18, 2003, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Gobbla2001 ]</small>

big daddy russ
07-18-2003, 02:43 PM
The water's beautiful down here, and what little mess there was got cleaned up the day after the storm. Come on down.

turbostud
07-19-2003, 03:43 PM
Well I just got back from Port O'Connor. We sailed north to avoid the hurricane and the eye ended up passing over us. If you have never been through a hurricane it is a pretty weird experience. You get nailed from the north, then the eye passes and you have about 30 minutes of calm before you get nailed from the south.

Burnet Dawg06
07-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the replies! We are heading down to Rockport in the morning and staying for a few days.

big daddy russ
07-20-2003, 01:38 PM
Hey turbo, I just noticed you moved to Port A. Welcome.

turbostud
07-21-2003, 11:53 AM
Thanks BDR. I got to Port A in April and have been working my butt off since I got here.

big daddy russ
07-21-2003, 03:22 PM
A little off topic, sorry... but turbo, I'm moving August 17. We'll have to get together before I leave and talk some pigskin.

<small>[ July 22, 2003, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>