PDA

View Full Version : DMN 3A Countdown: No. 8 Commerce

KTJ
08-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Commerce's cupboard isn't bare by any means for Bill Draughn, who takes over as head coach after eight seasons as the school's defensive coordinator.

But with only three offensive and two defensive starters returning, things are anything but settled. As the team entered fall practice, only a few spots on the depth chart were secure.

"We've got a lot of kids that we think can step in and become impact players," Draughn said. "They just haven't done it yet at the varsity level, so they're an unknown commodity."

Despite its inexperience, the defense should be fine with senior tackle Will Latson leading the way. Offensively, Commerce will look to be more balanced after averaging 212 rushing yards and 41 passing yards last season.

Junior Zach Boles takes over at quarterback, but the team is still auditioning running backs. Latson and junior J.W. Hall will anchor a big offensive line that should give Boles time to stand in the pocket and find senior receivers Jeremy Luckey, Wesley Hunter and Lee Mathis.

FAST FACTS

Nickname: Tigers

District: 11-3A

Coach: Bill Draughn

Last season: 7-4, 6-1 in District 10-3A. Lost to Celina, 28-14, in bi-district

THE SKINNY

STRENGTH

Offensive and defensive lines: Tigers have good size and depth up front on both sides of the ball.

WEAKNESS

Inexperience: The Tigers return only nine lettermen, including three offensive starters and two defensive starters.

BIGGEST GAME

at Quinlan Ford, Oct. 29: Meeting of preseason district favorites should have major playoff implications.

DID YOU KNOW

Commerce's new offensive coordinator is Bump Novacek, the brother of former Dallas Cowboys tight end Jay Novacek.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

OL/DL Will Latson 6-3, 240, Sr.: Solid two-way player; perhaps the best college prospect on the team.

WR Lee Mathis 5-9, 175, Sr.: Speedster caught only two passes last season but should be key target in more balanced offensive attack.

QB Zach Boles 6-1, 175, Jr.: Coaches are excited about the strong arm and savvy decision making of Boles, who is an all-district pitcher in baseball.

OL/DL J.W. Hall 6-2, 285, Jr.: Bulky guard/defensive tackle started both ways as a sophomore.

RETURNING LEADERS
RUSHING
Player Att. Yds. TDs
Wesley Hunter 10 39 0
PASSING
Player C-A-I Yds. TDs
Zach Boles 1-6-0 7 0
RECEIVING
Player No. Yds. TDs
Lee Mathis 2 67 0

Titans
08-18-2004, 12:06 PM
I'm rather shocked to see Commerce highly ranked. Then again, it's all about past recognitions.

We'll see, but I'll take them way below #20 in the DFW area alone.

Give me winners, not whiners!

ethsfbnut
08-18-2004, 03:00 PM
You`re right about the whining the last several years. Most Commerce people couldn`t stand it. Know I damn sure couldn`t.

Believe with the new coaching staff this kind of bs will stop. Couldn`t be soon enough for Tiger fans.

Go TIGERS!!!!!

Owen B
08-18-2004, 03:21 PM
I agree about the whining (hated it!) and the new coaching staff (I think they'll do well).