PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Score Updates by My System

PhiI C
08-16-2004, 08:35 PM
It isn't perfect but I don't just go by number of olympic metals. I do like track meets in giving 10 points for a gold metal (first place), 8 points for a silver metal (second place), and six points for a bronz (third place). Some people do it differently but to each his own. Right now China is in first place with 138 points, USA in second place with 110 points, Australia third with 106 points, Japan in fourth place with 64 points, and Japan in fifth place with 62 points. Bear in mind that it is still early and the events in which Australia and China are strong in are currently going on. We will see what happens. Feel free to comment on my system whether pro or con. Go USA!

JasperDog94
08-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Right now China is in first place with 138 points, USA in second place with 110 points, Australia third with 106 points, Japan in fourth place with 64 points, and Japan in fifth place with 62 points. Is that North Japan and South Japan?:D

coiled2strike
08-17-2004, 12:59 PM
lol that's funny...
did the usa hold on to the men's team gymnastics...i missed the last few apparatuses/apparati...events
last i saw we were up with romania 2nd and china was struggling

coiled2strike
08-17-2004, 12:59 PM
oh yeah...system sounds good to me...

kepdawg
08-17-2004, 01:00 PM
The unified Japanese team got the gold in men's gymnastics. US got the silver.

Phil C
08-17-2004, 01:24 PM
An update score by my system as of August 17 at 1:00 P.M.

China is First at 144 points.

USA is second at 118 points.

Australia is third at 106 points.

Japan is Fourth at 91 points.

Russia is fifth at 78 points.

China only has one more metal 16 that the USA 15 but they have more gold which is why their score is higher. Remember track and field hasn't even started and I expect the USA will do well in that field so if USA stays close they should win the olympics by my system plus the metal count. I don't have much confidence in our men's basketball team getting a metal even with Iverson completely healthy. The USA women's basketball team and softball team should bring home metals even tough I am not sure which ones it will be. We will see.

Some people award 3 points for gold and 2 points for silver and one point for bronze but I just don't believe that one gold is worth three bronze so I don't use that system. To each their own.

GO USA!

Phil C
08-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Update again on August 18, 2004 at about 9:00 A.M. The USA takes the lead in total metal count but still trials gold metals to China 10 to 7 with Australia and Japan with 6. If USA can keep it close we should overtake them with track events even with our suspensions. We will see. Based on my systerm the scores are now:

USA in first place with 170 points

China in second place with 166 points

Australia in third place with 114 points

Russia in fourth place with 90 points

Japan in fifth place with 82 points

Italy in sixed place with 56 points

France in seventh place with 52 points

and rest of the world trails

Phil C
08-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Another unexpected pleasant surprise: Dede Barry of the USA just won the silver in women's cycling! This is first metal in this event for the USA and was a surprise - a very pleasant surprise. This gives the USA metal count at 22 with our points totals increasing by eight to 178 points. I mentioned track as a strong point for us but usually we do well in boxing too and seem to be doing good. Let's hope we can keep it up. GO USA!

JasperDog94
08-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Okay. I've got to say something. The word is "meDal" not "metal". Sorry about that. It's just been bugging me.

kepdawg
08-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Just be glad we've got Phil spelling "olympics" correctly!

Phil C
08-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Thank you Jason! Keep me straight here! :)
An update as August 18 at 11:45 A.M. The USA leads in total metals by 25 and China is behind us with 20. Our USA Men took gold and bronze in Cycling so we are now only 2 in the gold behind China with our 8 to their 10. By my system the top five teams are:

USA is first with 184 points

China is second with 162 points.

Australia is third with 124 points.

Russia is fourth with 102 points.

Japan is fifth with 100 points.

Besides my system above I also keep up with total medals as shown on tv and internet and also total gold metals per each Country. GO USA!!

Phil C
08-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Another update at 1:15 P.M. on August 18. Medals today may be over since it is 9:15 P.M. in Greece unless they have a late event. USA leads in total metals now at 27 followed by China at 20. China still leads gold medals count at 10 followed by USA at 8 and Japan at 8 and Australia at 6. There may be some later events left but I don't know.
By my systems the scores are now:

USA in first place at 214 points (First team to get in the 200s!)

China in second place at 172 points.

Australia in third place at 128 points.

Japan in fourth place at 116 points.

Russia in fifth place at 114 points.

An interesting note Russia has two more metals than Japan but Japan has more gold which makes up the difference.

GO USA!!

Phil C
08-18-2004, 02:46 PM
No updates but I did an analysis of the past four olympics (1988, 1992, 1996 and 2000) years and compared several systems to determine the winner. One was by total medal counts, another by total gold medals, another by the point system of 3 per gold, 2 per silver and one per bronze, and then of course my system. The results on every one on each year had the same overall winners which follow:

1988: USSR

1992: Univerfied Team (ex USSR) - this was after the breakup of USSR and satallite countries became independent but they still were under USSR as United Team much to the chagrin of some of the athletes who would have prefered to have won medals for their own country and had their own national anthem.

1996: USA

2000: USA

Please bear in mind I only went back the past four olympics and also only looked at who won first place. It is no guarantee that it will work that way in the future but still some data for what it is worth.

Also looking at history it is amazing of the decline of Germany in overall medals because Communist East Germany used to be a powerhouse in the olympics but since Germany was united they have not been the power they once were. It could be the drug testing may have had something to do with that. I don't know though.

JasperDog94
08-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
...It could be the drug testing may have had something to do with that. I don't know though. Yeah right. Like any olympic athlete would take drugs. As if...:rolleyes:

Phil C
08-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Another August 18, 2004 Update at 4:25 P.M. It is past midnight in Greece so this should be final results for the day. USA gained some gold on China with 10 to China's 11 so we had a good day there. As of right now the top scores are:

1. USA with 234 points.

2. China with 190 points

3. Australia with 128 points

4. Japan with 116 points

5. Russia with 114 points

The rest of the world follows but I am only listed top five. It is interested to note that Germany who used to be a real olympic power has 76 points.

The host Country Greece has 2 gold and 1 bronze. I think one of their gold was a weight lifter and not sure of the others. It is good that the host Country has got at least some gold so they can have some local heroes. They seem to have done an outstanding job of getting ready for the olympics.

jason
08-18-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Another August 18, 2004 Update at 4:25 P.M. It is past midnight in Greece so this should be final results for the day. USA gained some gold on China with 10 to China's 11 so we had a good day there. As of right now the top scores are:

1. USA with 234 points.

2. China with 190 points

3. Australia with 128 points

4. Japan with 116 points

5. Russia with 114 points

The rest of the world follows but I am only listed top five. It is interested to note that Germany who used to be a real olympic power has 76 points.

The host Country Greece has 2 gold and 1 bronze. I think one of their gold was a weight lifter and not sure of the others. It is good that the host Country has got at least some gold so they can have some local heroes. They seem to have done an outstanding job of getting ready for the olympics. i believe on of their golds was in fencing

Ray_BearKat
08-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by jason
i believe on of their golds was in fencing

Wasn't one of there gold in syncronized diving? Or whatever its called when two people dive at the same time?