PDA

View Full Version : Your Team's Greatest Play

Pudlugger
08-16-2004, 07:06 PM
For me La Grange's Greatest Play was this:
The year was 2000 in the Texas Bowl with La Grange playing Forney for the Championship. The score was La Grange 20 Forney 17. The time was 1:42 left in the fourth. The ball was on the LG 19 yardline and it was fourth and one. Forney had one of the best kickers in the state. Coach V asked his Qb if he could make it. Tye Gunn said "No problem". The ball was snapped, Gunn went right on the veer. The Forney Cb played it perfectly, hitting Gunn solidly at the line of scrimmage. Gunn pushed forward and fell inches over the line for the first down. Three knees latter, LG had won the championship.
My Greatest Play for La Grange.
:)

Gobbla2001
08-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Old Green can prolly give you twenty better ones...

But I really enjoyed what happened my senior year in Sealy...

We had never beaten Sealy before and it looked like it wasn't going to happen that night either...

5 minutes left in the game, Cuero is down 14-0, we end up tying the game and going into OT...

We win the toss, give Sealy the ball and they score... 21-14 Sealy...

We get the ball back and score on 4th a goal and go for the TIE...

Ball is blocked, goes up into the air, into the endzone and a Sealy player tries to catch it but drops it... we recover...

After what had seemed to have been an hour long ref-huddle, they put up the antlers and we go crazy...

Luck? VERY lucky play... But not luck that we won...

You have to set yourself up for it...

District303aPastPlayer
08-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Sintons defense opens up and allows the opposing team to score a touchdown and Sinton goes on to win the game... by penetrations...

Also... i have this one on my Sr year highlight film... Emi Alaniz returns a punt for about 97-100 yards... it was against Ingleside... what a play..

Papa Smurf 05
08-16-2004, 07:22 PM
One of the greatest plays I personally experienced was last year in the 2nd round of the playoffs against Iowa Park. We were at about our own 15, and we were going to run a middle screen to Chris Morris. On the snap, their linebackers must have studied film hard, because they knew exactly what was up. Bryan Barret started to scramble out with a horde of defenders chasing him when he finally found Rex Harper out in the flats. 85 yard touchdown pass baby.:D

rhino33
08-16-2004, 07:26 PM
ranchviews greatest play was last year when we played L.D. Bell... our center snapped the ball way over ou r qbs head and he (quarterback) went way back and picked it up (at our own 5 yard line) he ran it all the way back 90 yards, we won that game 43-0

3afan2K3
08-16-2004, 07:35 PM
It was Forney vs. Carthage in the 2002 season. Game had been even the whole time, Carthage was running all over us and we were dong the same. Score was 6-3 carthage with about a minute left. It was 4 and 10 Forney's ball on about our 35. The ball was tipped but still caught by a Forney player diving to make it. First down Forney. That set up this play...... We had it on our own 45 maybe the 50. I think it was 3rd down. QB Calen Hanie dropped back and found WR Coy Davis running to the endzone wide open. We go up 10-7 after the kick and go on to stop Carthage and win the game.

Swarm 51
08-16-2004, 11:23 PM
It was the Gatesville Hornet state championship game against Abilene Wiley in 2000. Hornets were down 14 to 10 with only 1:25 remaining in the 4th quarter. G'ville had a first down on Wiley's 10 yd. line. Two runs by Taurean Henderson into the line netted only 3 yards. With third down and 7 the Bulldog's defense was again keying on Henderson. But, Matt Mooney, the Hornet quarterback, did a beautiful fake handoff to Taurean going over the left offensive side of the line, Matt put the ball on his right hip, cut to the right side of the offensive line and easily ran in for the winning score without being touched by any of the defense. The play had been successfully run for a TD only one time previous to that against Cleveland at Kyle Field in College Station in the quarter finals, and it worked again to bring home the championship for the Hornets. I still get "goose bumps" when I think about it or see it on the video.

coiled2strike
08-17-2004, 10:48 AM
#1 last year, 0 week....rattlers vs brenham in the dome...
high snap over the rattler punter's head could have been big trouble, but kaspar(punter) somehow avoided a few defenders and got the ball off...it rolled down to the 5!!! 50 + yards...
rattlers pinned brenham deep, scored on the next possession and never looked back...

#2 same season, rattlers at wharton...qb martin dropped back to through a pass over the middle...should have been picked and possibly 6 the other way...BUT...the ball popped off of the safeties pads and right into the hands of another rattler receiver and he turned and ran 30 yards for a touchdown...big momentum boost for the rattlers and they held on to beat a very talented wharton team...

JasperDog94
08-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Man, so many games. It's hard to narrow it down to one play. I'll have to go back to 91 or 92. Jasper is playing Silsbee and the game is tied. Jasper lines up and kick a 40+ fieldgoal that barely went over the crossbar. The band was at the perfect angle to see it. I don't remember the final score though.

coiled2strike
08-17-2004, 11:14 AM
hey jdog...how's east texas...i sure miss it...
don't ya'll always beat silsbee...lol

JasperDog94
08-17-2004, 11:23 AM
The thing about Silsbee is that you just never know. They can be flat out terrible, and the very next year make the playoffs. They're just not very consistant.

As far as East Texas goes, this weather has been fantastic! It's on the rise, but it's still really nice in the evenings when I get home. I just put up a new swing for my little girl, so we go outside and swing since it's not 110 in the shade right now.:)

Bellville22
08-17-2004, 02:20 PM
2002 Bellville vs. Fairfield

The Bellville offense had been rolling in previous weeks, but ran into a fierce Eagle defense that gave the Brahmas fits all night. Down 7-3 in the 4th, with approx. 6 minuties to go, Bellville was threatening as they moved the ball down to the 9 yd. line, but the drive appeard to be stalling as they faced a 4th and 5...

Very little had been successful that night against the Fairfield defense, but one play that had worked was the screen pass. As Bellville broke from the timeout, I told my uncle everyone in the stadium should be expecting the screen. I was right, but luckily it didn't matter. QB Buenger faked a handoff to one of the split backs as Bryant slipped into the flat, Buenger dropped back feeling the heat of a heavy blitz, just before the LB got to him, he made an off balance throw to Bryant, who waited behind his line. Bryant grabbed the pass just before it hit the ground, and burst upfield. He and the defender met at the first down marker, and the entire stadium held its breath as the linesman marked the spot. A generous spot it was, as it looked as though Bryant's knee hit before he made his final lunge. Nevertheless, they gained the first down by half the football. Two plays later the Brahmas punched it in for the final score of the game. Fairfield made two pushes, but a Bellville interception in the end zone (arguably the most important play) and a missed field goal ended their chances. Final score 10-7. Bellville would advance to shock Marlin the next week.

With all the attention that the Bellville/Marlin triple-overtime game got the following week, many people forget what a great game Bellville and Fairfield played. One could argue that the Eagles outplayed the Brahmas that night, but Bellville came up with the big plays when they needed them, including the screen described above.

lobo12
08-17-2004, 04:18 PM
monahans vs snyder 2002 bi-district

we were down 6-0 with 2 minutes left and had not moved the ball all night. it was 4th and 14 on about our 30. we lined up with 4 receivers to the right and after the ball was snapped slipped one behind the line backside kind of like a backside screen but with no blockers. the defensive end was not tricked and read the play but our receiver broke his tackle and about six others for about a 40 yard gain. we ended up scoring and winning the game 7-6

jason
08-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
For me La Grange's Greatest Play was this:
The year was 2000 in the Texas Bowl with La Grange playing Forney for the Championship. The score was La Grange 20 Forney 17. The time was 1:42 left in the fourth. The ball was on the LG 19 yardline and it was fourth and one. Forney had one of the best kickers in the state. Coach V asked his Qb if he could make it. Tye Gunn said "No problem". The ball was snapped, Gunn went right on the veer. The Forney Cb played it perfectly, hitting Gunn solidly at the line of scrimmage. Gunn pushed forward and fell inches over the line for the first down. Three knees latter, LG had won the championship.
My Greatest Play for La Grange.
:) if forney doesnt fumble, they score and win 24-20

jason
08-17-2004, 04:27 PM
my jr year, we were playing at mabank, and in the second over time, our guard hit a 3 pointer from just in front of half court to take it to a third over time...that game was a battle of two top 10 teams...at one point, in the dfw ranking, there were 4 teams in our district ranked 1 2 3 and 4...forney was #1, canton was #2, mabank was #3, and ferris was #4

vfunk
08-17-2004, 05:13 PM
I remember those basketball games well Jason. I can clearly see the 3 point Delong made as time expired against Mabank. Is that the same game? Also, beating Canton at their gym when they were ranked #5 in the state. I dont think there was a bigger Forney fan then myself in those days.

Here are some Forney plays I remember well...for better or worse.

---Listening on the internet to the above mentioned Hanie to Davis pass....I cant even imagine how that would have been if I were there.

---Kerry Washington of Commerce running all the way across the field and knocking our best player (Justin McDaniel) almost to the track...fastest 3A player I had seen at the time followed by the hardest high school hit I've ever seen

---DaBryan Blanton running for 100 yards against Eustace....on 2 carries.

---One year...our two running backs each had over 100 yards in all ten games.

---A lot of the students painted themselves for the playoff game against 6-4 Lake Worth. Undefeated at the time we were locks to win...that is until Lake Worth's QB decided that wasnt gonna happen.

---It pains me how well I remember that La Grange game....

---The year Crandall won.....

---But the thing I remember most about Forney football was watching DaBryan make it look so easy. If you werent able to see him play...you truly missed out on one of the 3A greats.

Ok so most of those werent single plays...but it got me to thinking.

GoDeep
08-17-2004, 05:13 PM
The play was drawn up like a hook and ladder play. 4 wide, WR1 runs a stop route on the left side, WR2 runs a drag route from right to left. WR1 catches the ball, then turns around and pitches to WR2 coming on the drag route. Problem was, the OLB played it perfectly (actually, I think it was just luck, but that's just as good sometimes) and hit WR2 about 3 steps after he caught the pitch. WR2 then fumbles(or has the presence of mind to pitch) the ball to the outside where a 3rd WR was waiting. He catches it and runs 70 yards for a TD. On film, it looked like it was planned that way and no one has ever been able to get WR2 to admit that he fumbled and didnt pitch it intentionally.

jason
08-17-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by vfunk
[B]I remember those basketball games well Jason. I can clearly see the 3 point Delong made as time expired against Mabank. Is that the same game? Also, beating Canton at their gym when they were ranked #5 in the state. I dont think there was a bigger Forney fan then myself in those days.i was talking about the game @ Mabank...the one with Delong was a home game

---A lot of the students painted themselves for the playoff game against 6-4 Lake Worth. Undefeated at the time we were locks to win...that is until Lake Worth's QB decided that wasnt gonna happen.i remember that, i had #15 painted on my back...it was cold lol

---But the thing I remember most about Forney football was watching DaBryan make it look so easy. If you werent able to see him play...you truly missed out on one of the 3A greats.hes fast

Ok so most of those werent single plays...but it got me to thinking.

crzyjournalist03
08-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by vfunk

---DaBryan Blanton running for 100 yards against Eustace....on 2 carries.

didn't he do something like 250 yards on 7 carries in Royse City his senior year in the rain?

j_dog
08-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by coiled2strike
hey jdog...how's east texas...i sure miss it...
don't ya'll always beat silsbee...lol
No, Jasper does not "always" beat Silsbee. It took Jasper many years to just get to what might be considered the same level as Silsbee. Even when Jasper beat Silsbee it usually was not by much. Competitive against Silsbee, yes. Dominant, no way!

I think Silsbee is going to surprise some folks in 3a. Ask the WOS fans what Silsbee can do in the playoffs.

La Grange
08-17-2004, 09:05 PM
In the 1997 3a Region 3 Semifinal game La Grange was playing Corgin Camden. It was in double overtime, and Camden was on our 5 to win it. The quarterback handed the ball to their runningback that had been making our defense look stupid all day long. There was a big jumble of players at the line of scrimmage. All of a sudden you could see our Dave Campell cover boy, Lawrence Dobbins, start steaking down the field. It wasn't until Lawrence was celebrating in the endzone that the crowd new he had stripped the ball and took it 95 yards to beat Camden. That game was voted the 1997 Texas High School football game of the year, and to LG fans a classic.

Old Tiger
08-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Last year Jamal Williams recieved a pitch fromt he 2 yard line to the left and cut it back to the right and busted it open for a 98 yard touchdown run right before halftime.

CRHSeagle
08-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Has anyone ever intercepted an option?

La Grange
08-17-2004, 09:24 PM
Agianst Mathis in 2001 in the Region IV Final Mathis won the toss and elected to recieve. On the kickoff our kicker booted it downfield to a shaken up reciever. The reciever dropped the ball, we recovered, and with less than 10 seconds off the clock it was LG-7 Mathis-0. I think we went on to blow them out by like 35 points.

Pudlugger
08-18-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by La Grange
In the 1997 3a Region 3 Semifinal game La Grange was playing Corgin Camden. It was in double overtime, and Camden was on our 5 to win it. The quarterback handed the ball to their runningback that had been making our defense look stupid all day long. There was a big jumble of players at the line of scrimmage. All of a sudden you could see our Dave Campell cover boy, Lawrence Dobbins, start steaking down the field. It wasn't until Lawrence was celebrating in the endzone that the crowd new he had stripped the ball and took it 95 yards to beat Camden. That game was voted the 1997 Texas High School football game of the year, and to LG fans a classic.

That's good one LG. I was home listening to the game on the radio and couldn't believe my ears. Lawrence Dobbins was something else wasn't he?

coiled2strike
08-18-2004, 08:18 AM
tigerwr...i was scouting that game...at elgin right?

you're right, that was incredible...to make the story better...
elgin had you guys pinned at the 2 and it was obvious you were just trying to run up the middle, kill the clock, and get into half in a very close game...however, elgin called timeout to try to force you guys to punt and your guy broke the pitch play on a 3 and long if i remember correctly...wow

District303aPastPlayer
08-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by CRHSeagle
Has anyone ever intercepted an option?
sophomore year... JV game against GP... it was a saturday afternoon game, odem had bailed during the week.. they ran an option to the home side in sintons stadium... i read it... and right as soon as the ball left the QBs hands i stepped in, took it from the 10 to the 6 with 5 guys on my back :D

True94
08-18-2004, 12:39 PM
in the 1998 playoffs, Manor was playing powerhouse Crockett and nobody expected the mustangs to be close at all in the game, since crockett came in a top 5 team in teh state and Manor finished third in their district, The mustangs held on 7-6, and the greatest play was 4 and goal from teh one and manor stuffed Crocketts runningback and went on to run out hte clock. They lost the next week to eventual state champion newton 19-2

Old Tiger
08-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by coiled2strike
tigerwr...i was scouting that game...at elgin right?

you're right, that was incredible...to make the story better...
elgin had you guys pinned at the 2 and it was obvious you were just trying to run up the middle, kill the clock, and get into half in a very close game...however, elgin called timeout to try to force you guys to punt and your guy broke the pitch play on a 3 and long if i remember correctly...wow Yes.....It was great I was in on that play. It was a long run down field to make sure nobody was going to get him. lol

Matthew328
08-18-2004, 08:19 PM
2 plays specifically come to mind for Everman in 2001...

1st one was the 4th down against Forney late in the game when Everman stopped Bryson Brown on that incredible Forney drive to win the game....Blanton had like 168 yards against the Everman D but it took him like 35 carries to do it...

that catch the Forney guy made in the corner of the end zone was amazing he had 2 Everman defenders all over him...Everman-Forney I was the 2nd best high school game I have ever seen in person..

2nd was the Sinton game with Everman down 14-12 in the 3rd and Benton on an option pitch looked like he was stopped pitches the ball late to Theo Miller and he scampers down the sidelines for like a 40 yard gain that set Everman up for the go ahead TD...

In 2002 in the Burnet game...Johnathan Harrell made a sick diving catch in the end zone for a TD that was called back by a holding penalty...so that gives Everman like a 3rd and 20..on the very next play Everman QB Benton fakes left and scampers down the sidelines like 45 yards for a TD run that in reality put Burnet away..

wildstangs
08-18-2004, 09:19 PM
Sweetwater VS. Decatur, 2002 playoffs. Sweetwater leads 24-21 with about 5 seconds left on the clock. Decatur is somewhere around the 50 yard line. Chandler (The Decatur QB) throws a miracle up and is caught at the one yard line, where he is promptly stuffed by two Sweetwater defenders. Heck of a game.