PDA

View Full Version : DMN 3A Countdown: No. 10 Wilmer-Hutchins

KTJ
08-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Wilmer-Hutchins doesn't plan to take any chances this season. When a three-way tie for second-place in district wasn't good enough to get into the playoffs in 2003, the players turned their focus toward the top spot.

"They're determined there will be no more seconds," coach Mike Robinson said. "We've seen too many things slip away. They've decided it won't happen to us. They never want to have that feeling again."

Several starters return, including senior Dustin Bell. The third-year starter moves back to quarterback after a year at defensive back and receiver.

Seven starters are back on defense, and the addition of transfer Josh McCoy is a bonus. Keon Mack, Anthony Webb and Courtney Favors were thrust into the lineup as sophomores, but their experience should pay off this year.

"This is the most talented team we've had," Bell said. "We're fast, and we're more disciplined, and we've been working hard."

NICKNAME
Eagles

DISTRICT
10-3A

COACH
Mike Robinson

LAST SEASON
5-4, 4-2 in District 13-3A, tied for second

STRENGTH
Speed: Six defenders that run a 4.7 or faster.

WEAKNESS
Big-game experience: QB Dustin Bell is the only player to line up in a playoff game.

BIGGEST GAME
At Kennedale, Oct. 15: District title could be decided.

DID YOU KNOW?
Offensive coordinator Tyler Harrison, a former Texas A&M offensive lineman, scored a touchdown on a 25-yard "fumblerooski" play against Houston in 1992. The NCAA banned the trick play the next season.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

QB Dustin Bell, 5-11, 165, Sr.: Versatile athlete can play almost anywhere.

LB Josh McCoy, 6-1, 200, Sr.: Strong leadership will be an asset.

RB Josh Jordan, 6-1, 180, Jr.: First-year starter is quick out of the backfield.

DT Larry Griffin, 6-0, 300, Jr.: Strength and intensity bolsters defensive front.

WR Xavier Rambo, 6-1, 185, Jr.: Averaged 14 yards per catch as a sophomore.2003

STATISTICS

Points per game: 24.9

Rush yards per game: 162.0

Pass yards per game: 120.7

Points allowed per game: 20.2

Rush yards allowed per game: 176.7

Pass yards allowed per game: 82.1

RETURNING LEADERS
RUSHING
Player Att. Yds. TD
Dustin Bell 20 187 3
PASSING
Player C-A-I Yds. TD
Dustin Bell 2-12-2 9 0
RECEIVING
Player No. Yds. TD
Brandon Rhodes 21 233 4
TACKLES
Player No.
Courtney Favors 93
INTERCEPTIONS
Player No.
Anthony Webb

texasjeremy
08-16-2004, 02:59 PM
They usually have the talent, but they have trouble keeping players eligible. When I was in HS, WH was 4A and in our district, during that time they were the worst school academically in the state of Texas. They had a real problem having enough people in the school that passed all of their classes, to field teams in most sports. I know in baseball and soccer, district games against WH did not even count in the district stats, because they were trying to keep other schools from running up the score on them. When they came to Palestine, I know the game was called after 2 innings cause the score was like 18-0. In soccer, PHS would jump up by about 6 goals, then just hold the ball, Corsicana wasn't so "kind", they would beat them like 25-0 in soccer.

Rabbit'93
08-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
They usually have the talent, but they have trouble keeping players eligible. When I was in HS, WH was 4A and in our district, during that time they were the worst school academically in the state of Texas. They had a real problem having enough people in the school that passed all of their classes, to field teams in most sports. I know in baseball and soccer, district games against WH did not even count in the district stats, because they were trying to keep other schools from running up the score on them. When they came to Palestine, I know the game was called after 2 innings cause the score was like 18-0. In soccer, PHS would jump up by about 6 goals, then just hold the ball, Corsicana wasn't so "kind", they would beat them like 25-0 in soccer.
I guess it's a good thing we're not talking about baseball or soccer then.:rolleyes:

Matthew328
08-16-2004, 03:35 PM
I seem to rememeber Hutch that last year in that district being pretty good....going like 7-3.....yes they struggle in lots of sports but they are always strong in football and they should be pretty salty this year....Coach Robinson does a great job with what he has there and Hutch as always is a threat!

KTJ
08-16-2004, 04:41 PM
Coach Robinson was my coach in 8th grade. He coached at Gainesville for a long time and was one of the candidates for the HC/AD opening two years ago after Copeland left.

He's a good coach with great skill and knowledge.

GoDeep
08-16-2004, 07:25 PM
He'd better be a GREAT coach if he wants to do anything at that place. I had a friend who coached there for a few seasons. He never recovered and he left coaching shortly thereafter. Not a good place to be. From what Ive seen in the news, they may not even have a school district for much longer.

KTJ
08-16-2004, 11:58 PM
He is a great coach and is doing fine there. They love him. He's built up the entire W-H athletic program.

They are always a power in track and made Regionals (i think) last year in basketball.

And no, they won't just shut down WHISD. I believe there is a bond package on the menu to be voted on next month. The only problem is their schools are craptastic structure wise.

GoDeep
08-17-2004, 12:25 AM
Well, dont be too suprised if they do shut it down. They've threatened to shut it down several times. DISD almost took it over once, and at one time they were going to shut WHISD down completely and send the kids to Seagovile, Ferris, and Dallas ISDs. And now that school has been postponed (or relocated) two weeks and the super is going to court(and possibly prison), it's looking alot like the mid 90's again.
But, I have heard great things about Coach Robinson, and if WHISD is shut down, Im sure he'll have no trouble finding another job.

KTJ
08-17-2004, 12:34 AM
He's been trying to make his way back up to Gainesville from what I've heard. But I don't know how successful that has been.

Yeah, they have good athletes but they are in a bad situation. Agreed.