PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City CrossCountry wins big at Round Rock

Old Cardinal
10-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Thirty four team comprising 344 runners, entered the McNeil Invitational CrossCountry. Bridge City boys team continued their success in the 3A and under, opportunities, by winning first place. BC runners contributing to the win were Aaron Brannen, Brad Heath, Michael Goeddertz, Brent Higgins, Brad Mason, Randy Becker, Jacob Peart, and Garrett English...The girls placed 11 th out of 34 teams, led by freshmen Erica Garza, followed in order by Amber Toups, Morgan Broussard, Ashlee Ellis, Jessica Garza, Casey Hastings and Erica Cabiness-contributing successfully....With a very young group, yet always improving team: they look forward to continued gains in speed preformance...

exbccards76'smom
10-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Congrats to the cross country team. Keep on rollin'!!

BIG19
10-08-2003, 08:39 AM
Old Card, after talk ing to my son he informed me that Elgin actually had better times that what Bridge City did. Elgin ran in the 'Boys Gold Team' catergory. Here is a link to the results page. Cross Country results (http://www.doitsports.com/groups/results/timers-calendar.tcl?group_id=116) It is the third race listed. Not trying to take away from the great accomplishment of your kids, but I wanted to inform you. BTW, Burnet was 3rd team that day! They two have been walking over their compitition - team wise.

Old Cardinal
10-08-2003, 05:59 PM
I just read the Port Arthur News sports article and it says that Bridge City "won the meet". Winning the Meet means that they had more bulk competitors in the meet with useable points toward the Trophy. That does not mean that they had the top place-- per individual time in the meet. I guess I am kind of like Will Rogers, "all I know is what I read in the newspapers". The Port Arthur News explains that the meet is won by who stacks the most individuals for one school at the top of the times, not who has individuals winning the top individual times. Anyway congt's to Elgin and the other team for doing so well. The same thing happened in the 4A-5A meet they were allowed to enter, BC won the Meet, but several individuals from different schools bested them in individual times. Check the Port Arthur News, it was a good article. Your website that you quote above reads-- FINAL TEAM RESULTS 3A-1A VARSITY; TEAM-BRIDGE CITY FINISH POSITION #1

<small>[ October 08, 2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
10-08-2003, 08:26 PM
I am sorry, I finally found what you are talking about...I just figured they suspended
Elgin from running in the 3A since their enrollment is way larger than a lot of enrollments for 4A schools.

BIG19
10-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Old Card, I was confused about that also. I have been to the last two BIG meets that Burnet has participated in. I arrived after the "Golden Boys/Girls" ran so I could not understand where my son was coming from. After talking to him and finally understanding (after looking at the state rankings) that Elgin and Valley View are running with the faster teams in the state 1A-5A. Kind of confusing, but will make for some interesting compitition come regionals and state. Continued success to BC!

<small>[ October 09, 2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: BIG19 ]</small>

3afan
10-09-2003, 11:37 AM
Old Cardinal:
I am sorry, I finally found what you are talking about...I just figured they suspended
Elgin from running in the 3A since their enrollment is way larger than a lot of enrollments for 4A schools.i think that if Elgin ran in the 4A division its because they CHOSE to ... they cant be forced to compete against 4A schools, they are 3A no matter what their enrollment is ... regardless, that Reg III meet looks like it will be a good one

BIG19
10-09-2003, 12:05 PM
3afan:

Old Cardinal:
Elgin from running in the 3A since their enrollment is way larger than a lot of enrollments for 4A schools.i think that if Elgin ran in the 4A division its because they CHOSE to ... they cant be forced to compete against 4A schools, they are 3A no matter what their enrollment is ... regardless, that Reg III meet looks like it will be a good oneElgin did choose to run 4A or 5A. They ran with the "elite" runners of all the clssifications. I also bet they wanted to run with these teams, just like a football team wants a hard pre-district schedule. Makes the team better due to tougher compitition.

Old Cardinal
10-09-2003, 12:24 PM
Maybe, I mis-read again but using the team scores and average team speed, it looks to me that Elgin should have been 6th in that group ahead of Clear Lake HS.....Who in the world is "Cinco Ranch" that won it all, in that Gold race? Their scores look like they imported 7 runners from a whole country, or something,WOW! Looks like if you get invited to run in the "Gold group" that is the way to go-not as many runners to bump-and bang into, jousting for positions.....Question, how many teams will be running in the Region III meet?....Most of BC are Freshmen(both boys and girls). Could they have run in the "freshman catagory" and then, the regular 3A-1-A meet, also?

Let's try to keep this thread open, so that we can all learn the particulars about big CC meets, as they happen.

OLDREF
10-09-2003, 01:04 PM
I am glad to see that our Cross Country team is taking care of business.

STRIPES ARE SLIMMING

BIG19
10-09-2003, 01:26 PM
According to the UIL page, each district can send 10 individuals and/or 3 teams to their regional. Can't figure out how many go to the state meet. Last year there were 108 participants in the state meet.

Old Cardinal
10-09-2003, 04:48 PM
I admire the CC programs. The first time I went out 15 years ago on a cold Saturday morning and watched the kids, I was sold on the program. As the winners passed by, they turned and joined the very small crowd, to clap for ALL of the others as they finished the race! I reminded me of an actual race being run by a group of very challenged youth. A young girl fell midway, and was crying very loudly. Those that were winning, stopped, turned back and helped her up! They all finished the race very close together. Two of my neighbors, the Garza twins from BC up until just recently, would cross the finish line winning but holding hands. Erica and Jessica Garza, are the types of kids that we all appreciate and they are just Freshmen in HS.

3afan
10-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Old Cardinal:
Maybe, I mis-read again but using the team scores and average team speed, it looks to me that Elgin should have been 6th in that group ahead of Clear Lake HS.....Who in the world is "Cinco Ranch" that won it all, in that Gold race? Their scores look like they imported 7 runners from a whole country, or something,WOW! Looks like if you get invited to run in the "Gold group" that is the way to go-not as many runners to bump-and bang into, jousting for positions.....Question, how many teams will be running in the Region III meet?....Most of BC are Freshmen(both boys and girls). Could they have run in the "freshman catagory" and then, the regular 3A-1-A meet, also?

Let's try to keep this thread open, so that we can all learn the particulars about big CC meets, as they happen.Cinco Ranch is in the Katy ISD