PDA

View Full Version : How did West Texas scrimmages go?

westTXbest
08-15-2004, 05:09 PM
I havent seen any west texas scrimmages reports. Sweetwater, Monohans anybody?

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Vernon beat Ballinger 4-1. Vernon looked good on both sides of the ball.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Vernon hosts Sweetwater next saturday so I'll be at this one too.

Buffalo
08-15-2004, 07:15 PM
How did sweetwater do this saturday? how did wylie do against brownwood? Where is the vernon sweetwater scrim.

VERNONLION#1
08-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Buffalo
How did sweetwater do this saturday? how did wylie do against brownwood? Where is the vernon sweetwater scrim.

Vernon and Sweetwater will play in Vernon on 8-20-04 at 7pm. I think Z motion mentioned Sat. in a message earlier but it's on Friday.

lobo12
08-15-2004, 11:18 PM
monahans scrimmaged shallowater and beat them pretty good but i dont know what the score was

mudcat
08-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by VERNONLION#1
Vernon and Sweetwater will play in Vernon on 8-20-04 at 7pm. I think Z motion mentioned Sat. in a message earlier but it's on Friday.

Sweetwater will play in Vernon on 8-20-04 at 7pm. Friday

fury900
08-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by VERNONLION#1
Vernon and Sweetwater will play in Vernon on 8-20-04 at .7pm I think Z motion mentioned Sat. in a message earlier but it's on Friday.

Sweetwater will play in Vernon Friday 7pm

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Yes, yes I mean Friday night in Vernon --thanks VL1.

This should be a good test for both teams. Certainty hope they play a full quarter. A rivalry is building between these two teams. Last year the first game of the year these two teams met. The game was into the 1st quater with Vernon up by 7 when it was called due to weather. Sweetwater's offense had not had a possession yet. The game was never made up. Then these two teams met in the playoffs and Vernon sqeeks out a win 6-3. The prior yeat Sweetwater beats Vernon by 6.

So this scrimmage should be loaded with good football.

wildstangs
08-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Looks like Sweetwater whipped up on lowly Midland Christian. I heard the ground game was very effective. The QB's completed 6 0f 10 passes, unfortunately 5 were caught by Midland defenders. Man I wish Sweetwater and Vernon were playing in a real game this year. Hopefully one of the Vernon posters will give us a good update.

Black_Magic
08-17-2004, 09:31 AM
is it true that Sweetwaters #1's vs Midland Christians #1's score was 1-0 in sweetwaters favor? if so thats not a whipping. its a slight edge. after all #2s realy dont matter that much.

AggieJohn
08-17-2004, 11:07 AM
hmm

westTXbest
08-17-2004, 11:18 AM
Greenwood has Ozona friday in ozona.

wildstangs
08-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
is it true that Sweetwaters #1's vs Midland Christians #1's score was 1-0 in sweetwaters favor? if so thats not a whipping. its a slight edge. after all #2s realy dont matter that much.

For whats its worth, here is the article from the Sweetwater newspaper:

Mustangs run wild in scrimmage

By RON HOWELL/The Reporter Sports Editor
MIDLAND -- Sweetwater's performance in Saturday's opening scrimmage against Midland Christian showcased the Mustang ground game and defense in a big way, but also proved there are some kinks that will need to be worked out before the regular season begins in less than two weeks.

Using their No. 1 and No. 2 units on an almost-equal basis, the Mustangs ran for 467 yards and averaged almost 11 yards per carry. Seven of their 43 runs -- including two that went the distance -- went for 25 yards or more as Sweetwater posted a 3-0 "win" in the scrimmage.

The Mustang number twos scored on a 70-yard run by Kendal Carrillo and a 3-yard run by Skye Green, while the number ones got their lone TD on a 70-yard burst by Joseph Banyard.

Quarterbacks Sonny Birdwell and Jere-my Thompson rushed for 93 and 72 yards, respectively, on a total of just 15 attempts. Carrillo had 83 yards on three runs; Ban-yard had 70 yards on four rushes; Garrett Clayton had 36 yards on six runs; Green had 33 yards on two carries; Duone Cun-nings had 32 yards on three totes; and Alan Copeland ran for 31 yards on five carries.

Sweetwater's aerial game was the exact opposite. Six of the Mustangs' 10 passes were completed, but five found the hands of Midland Christian defenders instead of Sweetwater receivers and a 48-yard completion from Thompson to Michael Wil-liams was nullified by a motion penalty.

In addition, Sweetwater lost a fumble deep in Midland Christian territory to blunt a scoring drive, and had another score -- on a 12-yard run by Clayton -- called back due to a penalty.

But the Sweetwater defense, which re-turns only three players with starting experience, put in a very solid performance. Midland Christian finished with 206 yards on the ground, but only 28 through the air on 1-of-11 passing, and had only three plays which gained 11 or more yards.

Green had Sweetwater's only interception and also caused a fumble, while Eric Brown and Justin Adames each recovered a fumble.

Banyard was the leading tackler with nine stops and Clayton had eight. Adames recorded six tackles and Brown, Jacinto Rosas and Edward Salgado five, while Car-rillo and Parker Morrow had four tackles.

"I thought our defense played well overall," said head coach Kent Jackson. "We avoided giving up the big play and we were able to keep them contained and out of the end zone."

Jackson said Sweetwater was able to get through the scrimmage without any inju-ries. "We saw some good things, but at the same time there's still a lot to work on," he admitted. "We're real pleased overall with the way the kids stepped up and played."

Sweetwater also pitched a shutout in the JV portion of the scrimmage, winning by a 4-0 count with all the touchdowns coming on long runs. Eric Brown had tallies of 63 and 70 yards, Shamar Williams ripped off a 64-yard score and Byron Blueford scored from 62 yards out.

On defense, Michael Hollis had five tackles, a sack and a forced fumble. Brown also caused a fumble and Chris San Miguel also recorded a sack.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-19-2004, 10:37 AM
I can't recall if any posters play for Sweetwater. I remember the deep snapper last year posted here. Let me know as I will be at the scrimmage.

Not sure if this is true or not, but from what I understand there will not be a "live quarter" of play. If this is true its too bad as I would have liked to have seen it. If both of these teams defenses are like last year we won't see many TD's.