PDA

View Full Version : Jasper vs Anahuac

Bobkat
08-15-2004, 10:22 AM
All you Jasper fans...How did your Dogs look yesterday against Anahauc?

j_dog
08-15-2004, 05:00 PM
I have not heard. Information anyone please? :)

Gobbla2001
08-15-2004, 06:29 PM
ttt

Goldenstick
08-15-2004, 06:33 PM
I don't know any specifics but rumor is that Anahuac was clearly dominated

j_dog
08-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Goldenstick
I don't know any specifics but rumor is that Anahuac was clearly dominated
I thought Anahuac was supposed to be loaded ?? Defending district champion with loads of returning lettermen?

I think Jasper goes to Nederland next week. That should be a much tougher test for the J Dogs.

Bobkat
08-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Did anybody see this scrimmage? Any details, score, anything?

WOS92
08-15-2004, 10:05 PM
I don't know. Anahuac looked rough against the better teams in 7-on-7, going down 42-6 vs. WO-S.

Bobkat
08-15-2004, 10:39 PM
I wasn't impressed with Anahauc last year...Orangefield killed them at their place and they were suppose to be unbeatable at home. They lost a very good player in Raymond, and he'll be tough to replace at QB, but I wasn't impressed with them overall as a team. They'll be a good team this year, but they are no where close to being in the same category as Jasper or WOS. They were solid last year, and they were district champs, but they weren't the best team in our district, and they won't be again this year.

http://img23.exs.cx/img23/8279/bobkat.jpg

Bobcatwideout
08-15-2004, 10:46 PM
well said bobkat....btw nice sig

Bulldog92
08-15-2004, 11:35 PM
Nederland will be a good barometer as to where the Dogs are. What are we more concerned about...offense or defense? I think it all comes down to the running game on both sides of the ball...

GoDeep
08-15-2004, 11:38 PM
Anahuac lost to Jasper 3-1 in the controlled scrimmage, and they tied 1-1 in the simulated-game portion.
The controlled scrimmage was fairly even untill the end of it when fatigue set in. 20 consecutive plays on defense will wear most teams out, especially a team with so many players going both ways. Jasper, however, had a steady rotation of skill position players. Toward the end, Anahuac began to wear down.
Also, Anahuac made many mistakes (missed blocking assignments, missed tackles, etc...). This was kinda expected with new players, new coaching staff, and new schemes. But, nevertheless, Jasper deserves that #2 ranking. They are big where they need to be, and where they need to be fast....they can fly!
Final opinion: Jasper deserves every bit of that #2 ranking. They are a very good football team.
Anahuac has the potential to be good. They have some bugs to work out, but if they can get them worked out before district, they could easily repeat as champs and go a few rounds deep in the playoffs.

Hupernikomen
08-15-2004, 11:44 PM
thanks for the update and good luck to the panthers.

Gobbla2001
08-16-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by GoDeep
Anahuac lost to Jasper 3-1 in the controlled scrimmage, and they tied 1-1 in the simulated-game portion.
The controlled scrimmage was fairly even untill the end of it when fatigue set in. 20 consecutive plays on defense will wear most teams out, especially a team with so many players going both ways. Jasper, however, had a steady rotation of skill position players. Toward the end, Anahuac began to wear down.
Also, Anahuac made many mistakes (missed blocking assignments, missed tackles, etc...). This was kinda expected with new players, new coaching staff, and new schemes. But, nevertheless, Jasper deserves that #2 ranking. They are big where they need to be, and where they need to be fast....they can fly!
Final opinion: Jasper deserves every bit of that #2 ranking. They are a very good football team.
Anahuac has the potential to be good. They have some bugs to work out, but if they can get them worked out before district, they could easily repeat as champs and go a few rounds deep in the playoffs.

Doesn't sound like that big butt whupping everyone was talking about on this thread...

Oh, and WOS1 (I believe, there are so many of you, ha), I wouldn't go by 7 on 7 to judge a team's success that coming year... We came up short by three points to Austin Westlake this year in 7 on 7 play... I don't think that means we'll be competing in 5A any time soon ;)

WOS1
08-16-2004, 08:01 AM
That was WOS92...:D

duckbutter
08-16-2004, 09:26 AM
I went to the scrimmage and watched a fast, physical Jasper squad whoop a big, slow Anahuac squad. The ONLY time Anahuac moved the ball was when Jasper put their second team in. Due to Anahuac's lack of speed, the Jasper defenders were able to T-off and lay several huge hits. Jasper will have a real test this week with Nederland's size and strength.

chaingang
08-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Many people get all tied up in scrimmage wins and loses. You have to remember that it is just practice with different faces. I believe in scrimmages for their purpose, not to size them up against other teams. There are many non varsity players getting thrown in to see what they can do, and there are many varsity players that are put in positions they dont normally play. IMO I would rather see my team struggle in a scrimmage because you know what to work on. If you go and dominate a weak team in a scrimmage, then how will you know what to fix. In my years on varsity we were very highly ranked, but didnt do that hot in any of our scrimmages. I just think people get too worked up about PRACTICE. I figured I would put my 2 cents in.....:D

spiveyrat
08-16-2004, 10:12 AM
I agree, chaingang. :nerd:

Hupernikomen
08-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by duckbutter
I went to the scrimmage and watched a fast, physical Jasper squad whoop a big, slow Anahuac squad. The ONLY time Anahuac moved the ball was when Jasper put their second team in. Due to Anahuac's lack of speed, the Jasper defenders were able to T-off and lay several huge hits. Jasper will have a real test this week with Nederland's size and strength.

I agree Nederland will expose any weaknesses that Jasper might have in a hurry. Ned. will be big and strong will plenty of speed spread around.

chaingang
08-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
I agree Nederland will expose any weaknesses that Jasper might have in a hurry. Ned. will be big and strong will plenty of speed spread around.

My point exactly. It will expose weaknesses that are only discovered in scrimmages. If I was a coach I would be looking for a team to expose my weakness. I wouldnt be happy if we got beat bad, but I would be happy knowing where I need to make adjustments.;)

Gobbla2001
08-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
That was WOS92...:D

That's what I figured... My eyes were still half asleep and I was needing to get to work...

j_dog
08-16-2004, 07:04 PM
.... Jasper will have a real test this week with Nederland's size and strength.
I second that! Nederland has taken Jasper to school the past two years in scrimmages. You don't make several rounds in the 4a playoffs without some talent. That did help Jasper get ready for district and the playoffs. :)

pinecone
08-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Didn't see it but I heard that the scrimmage was like 5-1 Jasper.
I heard that A's only score came on a fluke play. I also heard in the game situation, Jasper's weakness was as usual- the kicking game, although they did make an extra point, but it was obvious they needed a lot more practice. Nobody in Jasper is taking that #2 ranking very serious until we prove it on the field. Also heard WOS scouts were there in full force. It's not surprising that WOS didn't fare so well in their scrimmage. They probably didn't want to show Jasper scouts anything they intend to do during Game 1.

duckbutter
08-18-2004, 08:33 AM
Trust me when I tell you that Hooks knows what Jasper will do. Everybody in this area knows what Jasper will do, the problem is stopping it.

JasperDog94
08-18-2004, 09:38 AM
Trust me when I tell you that Hooks knows what Jasper will do. Everybody in this area knows what Jasper will do, the problem is stopping it. That's the truth if I've ever heard it.

WOS1
08-18-2004, 12:17 PM
I truly feel that Coach Thompson was more worried about finding the right people for the right spots than he was about winning in the scrimmage. I mean, our weakness in the scrimmage was our defense, we couldn't stop the run. Several different kids played on the defense in different spots. I really don't think that, when they begin to count, that our run defense will be our weakness...

...but you never know...

hsfootballrules
08-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Whatever Coach Thompson is doing it will work.......wos will be no doubt one of the best defense in 3a

D. R. Hooks
08-18-2004, 12:35 PM
I truly feel that Coach Thompson was more worried about finding the right people for the right spots than he was about winning in the scrimmage. I mean, our weakness in the scrimmage was our defense, we couldn't stop the run. Several different kids played on the defense in different spots. I really don't think that, when they begin to count, that our run defense will be our weakness...

Do you think our defense will improve? I'm guessing that our offense should be able to make up the difference.

http://flickingerweather.com/wos.JPG

WOS1
08-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by D. R. Hooks
Do you think our defense will improve? I'm guessing that our offense should be able to make up the difference.

http://flickingerweather.com/wos.JPG

I was a little sarcastic in my first post. Yes, I am positive the D will improve. Thompson is a defensive mastermind. He is trying to find the right pieces right now I believe. He will get them all into place. Our weakest link in the scrim was the run defense. Coach Thompson has made a living at stopping the run. I do think it will all get worked out.

I also posted this on the other site and I'll post it here. I'm not really worried about our athletes. You can tell our players have been paying the price. They were very strong looking, much more so than Dayton. They've definitely been hitting the weights and I was very impressed with their physical stature. We have a very "athletic" team with a lot of size and speed. Coach T will utilize that the best way possible. I look for a big improvement tomorrow against Ozen.