PDA

View Full Version : Rockdale Scrimmage

Johnny Utah
08-15-2004, 09:15 AM
How did the Tigers do against Fairfield????

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-15-2004, 03:25 PM
You should have went and seen the scrimmage yourself. :D

zeke
08-15-2004, 03:38 PM
The Rockdale 1st team offense had several real bright spots in the 1st 20 play series. Most of their receivers were getting separation on their pass routes, and the QB was able to hit a few in stride for some nice long completions. Their running game had a much tougher time moving the ball. In all honesty their line is pretty undersized and going against a much bigger and quicker Fairfield defensive 5 man front. Rockdale stuck with dive and draw plays to their very small, but quick tailback. The tailback got into the open field only a couple of times and then was impressive with his ability to dart and cut against the swarming Fairfield defenders. I would say that they covered about 140 yards in the 1st 20 play series and most of it came from their passing game and they crossed the endzone line just one time.

The Fairfield 1st team offense was stymied in the first couple of sets of downs, but their running game successfully kept moving the sticks for one score toward the end of the 20 play series. They hooked up on a couple of short pass plays, but on their longer attempts they had overthrows and drops. TB Cecil Carter looked impressive getting into open field and making high speed cuts to find the end zone. Fairfield probably had about 100 yards of offense in the 1st 20 play series.

In the 3rd 20 play series, the 1st teams took the field again. Rockdale's offense started the set, Their coach kept them in the spread offense out of the shotgun. After 4 running plays to the TB and no gain, they start putting the ball in the air. Unfortunately, the Fairfield defense starts bringing the house. The Rockdale center at the same time was struggling to get the ball to the QB out of shotgun. The ball was arriving to the QB about the same time Fairfield defenders were nailing the QB in the chest. After about 3 consecutive plays of hammering the QB, the Rockdale QB goes down for good. It appeared a shoulder injury kept the Rockdale QB from returning to the game. I have to give credit to the Fairfield defense, they stepped up their game dramatically in this final set

Best wishes to this young man. I hope this turns out to be nothing serious and he makes a full and quick recovery.

The Rockdale team will certainly need his skills if their offense is going to progress. The Fairfield defense continued shutting out the Rockdale offense for the remainder of the final series and ended the set with about 30 total yards of gains in this set.

The final offensive 20 play series by Fairfield was about a carbon copy of the first series. They slowly but deliberately moved the ball across the endzone line one time at the end of the 20 play series. The had a few short pass completions and drops on longer tries, and had about 90 total yards in gains in this set.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Did you go to the scrimmage, Zeke?

zeke
08-15-2004, 04:48 PM
I was there, BBDE. How is your QB doing?

Pudlugger
08-15-2004, 05:33 PM
What was Rockdale's coach thinking? After two sacks he should have abandoned the shotgun or replaced the center. This sounds like an injury that shouldn't have happened. Hope the Rockdale qb is going to be alright.

zeke
08-15-2004, 06:35 PM
Being their 1st scrimmage, this may have been something their coach felt they needed work on. The QB is a good sized kid and had taken several hits without any ill effects. I'm betting their coach is working on pass blocking and the center hiking that ball with more velocity this week. Adjustments will be made, I bet!!!

Old Tiger
08-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Did you see me get killed going over the middle on that go route zeke? lol As for the QB he's out 3-4 weeks w/ a fractured collar bone.

Johnny Utah
08-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Who is the Rockdale QB??? Quality backups??? Good luck to the Tigers. How did the rest of the district fair in their scrimmages???

Pudlugger
08-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Rockdale should fire this coach,:mad:

Gobbla2001
08-15-2004, 07:26 PM
In all fairness to Rockdale's coach...

The first time that happens you think "Well, that didn't go too well, maybe it's just a one time thing, let's practice it again (this is practice, the only way to get better is to keep practicing)..."

After it happens a second time, I'm sure he takes the center to the side and asks him what's going on and asks him to 'practice' it again...

Unfortuantly this time it resulted in an injury (which happens in this collision sport)...

Pudlugger
08-15-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
In all fairness to Rockdale's coach...

The first time that happens you think "Well, that didn't go too well, maybe it's just a one time thing, let's practice it again (this is practice, the only way to get better is to keep practicing)..."

After it happens a second time, I'm sure he takes the center to the side and asks him what's going on and asks him to 'practice' it again...

Unfortuantly this time it resulted in an injury (which happens in this collision sport)...

But it is the coach's job to make adjustments. Three strikes and your out.::mad:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Don't blame Coach Clark for the mishap. Like Gobbla said, it's a contact sport. The coaches agreed before the game not to hit the QB's, but stuff like that happens sometimes. Gobbla is correct in his assumption that we were running the play in order to get it right, and that's what Coach Clark had in mind.

Gobbla2001
08-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
But it is the coach's job to make adjustments.

During a game, yes... During practice? No, you keep trying until you get it right... 'Three strikes and you're out' can go for this as well...

I guess if you don't want to win, you can avoid practicing the things you feel are important...

Johnny Utah
08-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Rockdale already fired one heck of a coach, lets not make another mistake. Football is a contact sport and players get hurt. I have not met a coach that coaches to hurt kids!!! Things happen, I am sure that every team that scrimmaged has some kids that either were hurt or have bumps and bruises. Hope Rockdale can respond and get better.

Old Tiger
08-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Coach Creghan only had 10 plays pretty much Johnny....

La Grange
08-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Sometime that is all you need.

zeke
08-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Tiger, I was trying to figure which receiver you were. Unfortunately , from where I was half the guys on your team looked like the picture you popped on the Downlow a couple of weeks back. Sorry I missed ya gettin hammered.HaHa
Did you catch that long bomb in the 1st series? Was hoping it was you!!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Casey didn't catch that bomb, but he did have some nice catches....maybe you seen me on a couple of plays, Zeke.

Gobbla2001
08-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by zeke
Sorry I missed ya gettin hammered

I don't worry, you'll be seeing it a lot ;) ha jk

Old Tiger
08-15-2004, 08:09 PM
hey! I popped back up! That's all that matters

Johnny Utah
08-15-2004, 08:11 PM
I guess you have never watched La Grange my man. They run right over you with basically 4 plays, 2 each direction. Won a state title doing that. Kind of funny but, the veer is the same way. Watched a team in 97 run the veer(inside, outside and option, mixed with a little passing), and win it all! That is about 10 plays!!! If you are really good at running your stuff, quantity is not really necessary.

La Grange
08-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
I guess you have never watched La Grange my man. They run right over you with basically 4 plays, 2 each direction. Won a state title doing that. Kind of funny but, the veer is the same way. Watched a team in 97 run the veer(inside, outside and option, mixed with a little passing), and win it all! That is about 10 plays!!! If you are really good at running your stuff, quantity is not really necessary.

We have a veer play to every gap, and those are about the only plays we run :D .

Johnny Utah
08-15-2004, 08:15 PM
I agree. Bellville is much the same way. They run the wing-t, mix in a little passing, and the defense better hang on!!!

Stanley
08-15-2004, 08:23 PM
I don't want any kid to get hurt. In fact I've seen LaGrange's QB get hammered on a few option plays and no one was saying they should fire the coach.
Injuries are a part of any game. I don't think the coach was trying to get any of his kids hurt.

zeke
08-15-2004, 08:43 PM
So sorry about your QB...hope he heals up quick. If they were not supposed to hit the QB, they were not getting much help from the refs with a quick whistle. I've seen scrimmages like that before and the refs and coaches would constanly remind the defense to let up on the QB and would whistle the play dead if the QB wasn't in the throwing motion when defenders were 3 steps away. Even after your QB went down it didn't look like the refs were trying to keep things safe for your backup QB with a quick whistle.
BBDE, I couldn't figure which defensive end you were. Looked like your defensive front was doing an outstanding job against the run. Keep up the good work!!!

Pudlugger
08-15-2004, 08:44 PM
In a game situation who would run the same failed play three times in a row letting a qb get nailed three times? In a scrimmage, which is much more controlled, it is even worse. I don't buy the argument that just because it is a contact sport you should expose a qb to such predictable punishment. Why doesn't the coach make an adjustment instead of stubbornly ordering a repeat of the play until "they get it right"? Maybe the play is just flawed and the coach refuses to see it as so. We as parents trust our sons to the judgement of the coach. If a coach allows a kid to get nailed three times in a row on the same idiotic play without so much as making a substitution or changed blocking assignment than it is he who is incompetent, not the poor center. Maybe he should take the snap and the hit for the third play if he knows so much.:mad:

ps Coach V would not be so careless about this. I have seen him make adjustments in scrimmages in similar circumstances. As far as I know no LG qb has been laid out with a serious injury just so "they can get it right".

Johnny Utah
08-15-2004, 08:47 PM
I thought Zeke was the one that said Coach Creghan only had 10 plays. I apologize Zeke. Tiger WR, dont worry about the coaching, just play! How many times have you caught a ball in a playoff game? If you buy into the new coaches system(like it seems)you have a chance to make the playoffs, just like many before you with Coach Creghan.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by zeke
So sorry about your QB...hope he heals up quick. If they were not supposed to hit the QB, they were not getting much help from the refs with a quick whistle. I've seen scrimmages like that before and the refs and coaches would constanly remind the defense to let up on the QB and would whistle the play dead if the QB wasn't in the throwing motion when defenders were 3 steps away. Even after your QB went down it didn't look like the refs were trying to keep things safe for your backup QB with a quick whistle.
BBDE, I couldn't figure which defensive end you were. Looked like your defensive front was doing an outstanding job against the run. Keep up the good work!!!
I was the starting LE.

Gobbla2001
08-15-2004, 08:52 PM
In a game situation who would run the same failed play three times in a row letting a qb get nailed three times? In a scrimmage, which is much more controlled, it is even worse. I don't buy the argument that just because it is a contact sport you should expose a qb to such predictable punishment. Why doesn't the coach make an adjustment instead of stubbornly ordering a repeat of the play until "they get it right"? Maybe the play is just flawed and the coach refuses to see it as so. We as parents trust our sons to the judgement of the coach. If a coach allows a kid to get nailed three times in a row on the same idiotic play without so much as making a substitution or changed blocking assignment than it is he who is incompetent, not the poor center. Maybe he should take the snap and the hit for the third play if he knows so much.:mad:

A scrimmage is not only meant as practice, but meant to find out 'who plays better in what position'...

Same play three times in a row? No, just in the shotgun three times in a row from what I've read...

Predictable punishment??? So after two plays you just give up on the kid, right?

Football is a learning experience, and you won't learn a thing without these important lessons...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-15-2004, 08:59 PM

ps Coach V would not be so careless about this. I have seen him make adjustments in scrimmages in similar circumstances. As far as I know no LG qb has been laid out with a serious injury just so "they can get it right". It wasn't the exact same play for one thing. It's not the coaches fault that it happened, and you can't poing the finger. Negligence by the referees was the primary cause of the incident. They wouldn't whistle the play dead even though the coaches agreed before the game the QBs for either team would not be hit and the referees were to whistle the play dead. You're not the coach, and are not a coach, so you are in no position to criticize the coaches. We played the entire game off of a script. We were trying to see what we had and run some plays, not trying to injure our QB. We arguably have the best coaches in the state, and I would not have anybody else calling the plays for us.

Chris Hart
08-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Blaming a coach for a kid getting hurt is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. QBs get hit all season long, sometimes they get hurt sometimes they don't, it's part of the game. I wouldn't want a coach that said oh no, I better change plays, my QB got hit on that last time, c'mon this is FOOTBALL. Just cross your fingers and pray that there are no injuries.:mad:

Gobbla2001
08-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
It wasn't the exact same play for one thing. It's not the coaches fault that it happened, and you can't poing the finger. Negligence by the referees was the primary cause of the incident. They wouldn't whistle the play dead even though the coaches agreed before the game the QBs for either team would not be hit and the referees were to whistle the play dead. You're not the coach, and are not a coach, so you are in no position to criticize the coaches. We played the entire game off of a script. We were trying to see what we had and run some plays, not trying to injure our QB. We arguably have the best coaches in the state, and I would not have anybody else calling the plays for us.

I dunno, the ref thing may hold water, but the coach's may not have given the refs a go ahead on stopping plays early... Maybe TxMike can help you out here...

I believe fault has to be put on... well... NO ONE...

If anyone, blame the kid/parents because I believe they knew the risk of him playing football and he is infact playing...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-15-2004, 09:10 PM
Well, it was agreed before the game that we were not supposed to hit the QBs. Both coaches agreed on it, and the refs would blow the whistle every time one of our defenders got close to the QB, but they let it go whenever Fairfield got there.....Oh well, that's what the game is all about. There is always the risk of getting hurt, and really and truly you can't point the finger.

Old Tiger
08-15-2004, 09:17 PM
On the other news I had 4 catches for around 50 or more yards. As for the refs you can't do nothing about it now it's already over and done with. Fairfield has been in their program for 3 years while Rockdale has been in ours for 2 weeks. Overall I think we did good! Coach Clark isn't a dumb coach pud, just ask any of the Burnet guys on this one. He is very smart coach, in fact all of our coaches are great.

Pudlugger
08-16-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
On the other news I had 4 catches for around 50 or more yards. As for the refs you can't do nothing about it now it's already over and done with. Fairfield has been in their program for 3 years while Rockdale has been in ours for 2 weeks. Overall I think we did good! Coach Clark isn't a dumb coach pud, just ask any of the Burnet guys on this one. He is very smart coach, in fact all of our coaches are great.

OK I'll take your word for it. It's always a good sign when a player defends his coach. Hope your guy gets back in the game soon. I bet the coach wishes the same. The first post on this stated the same play was run three times in a row with the same outcome which ended in the injury.My reaction is to that...it seems to me that after the second hit an adjustment or change of set was in order. That's a coaching decesion. I would hope that the coach would recognise that too as that is what they are out there to do.

I realize it is a contact sport and enjoy good tough football as much as anyone but I hate to see someone get injured needlessly. La Grange lost a very talented tailback in his sophomore year in 2002 during a scrimmage with Royal because the Royal players piled on after the whistle fracturing his ankle in multiple places (compound). It ended his promising career in athletics (football,basketbal, track and baseball). He was a coaches son too. That was a case of players not stopping on the Refs whistle as well. It sounds like a similar situation in the Rockdale case owing to the fact the coaches agreed to early whistles. Sometimes players are so eager to make a good hit that they don't hear the whistle I guess. Good luck this year.

beefy
08-16-2004, 02:27 PM
The coaches in Rockdale are going to make The Rock a great place to play if given time. I hope this is not a preface of things to come. No coach can sell their program and have kids buying in when every decision or action is scrutinized under a microscope. Good luck to Rockdale and good luck to RC and the boys.

Gobbla2001
08-16-2004, 05:01 PM
OK I'll take your word for it. It's always a good sign when a player defends his coach. Hope your guy gets back in the game soon. I bet the coach wishes the same. The first post on this stated the same play was run three times in a row with the same outcome which ended in the injury.My reaction is to that...it seems to me that after the second hit an adjustment or change of set was in order. That's a coaching decesion. I would hope that the coach would recognise that too as that is what they are out there to do.

I realize it is a contact sport and enjoy good tough football as much as anyone but I hate to see someone get injured needlessly. La Grange lost a very talented tailback in his sophomore year in 2002 during a scrimmage with Royal because the Royal players piled on after the whistle fracturing his ankle in multiple places (compound). It ended his promising career in athletics (football,basketbal, track and baseball). He was a coaches son too. That was a case of players not stopping on the Refs whistle as well. It sounds like a similar situation in the Rockdale case owing to the fact the coaches agreed to early whistles. Sometimes players are so eager to make a good hit that they don't hear the whistle I guess. Good luck this year.

I figured that may have been it (same play three times in a row)...

What ever happened to Royal anyhoo?

Pudlugger
08-16-2004, 05:47 PM
They are still struggling in 2A. They are a very undisciplined team and have a sketchy record but can be very physical, sometimes after the play is dead unfortunately. The Leps scrimmage them next week. I would welcome a change of schedule next season as I still have issues with this team after they hurt that boy in 2002.:mad:

Old Tiger
08-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Yall have to realize Rockdale marched up the field on the first 20 plays. With all the starters in. We have only been in our program running plays for 2 weeks! Fairfield has been in theirs for 3 years....After we marched down the field they started bringing the house. So IMO Rockdale did very well. Our QB will be back by district so it's all good.

Johnny Utah
08-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Good luck to the Tigers. I do hope the natives give the new coaching staff a chance. As with most places, it can be tough to coach there. Royal???? Overrated for sure!!!!!!!!!! Go Leps, kick some booty!!!

La Grange
08-16-2004, 10:19 PM
...La Grange lost a very talented tailback in his sophomore year in 2002 during a scrimmage with Royal because the Royal players piled on after the whistle fracturing his ankle in multiple places (compound). It ended his promising career in athletics (football,basketbal, track and baseball). He was a coaches son too...

Yeah that is my best friend you are talking about, and it still really gets him down when he realizes that he can't play anymore. This kid is the kind of guy that is good at anything, and losing him like that really hurt our class. He is going to try to play basketball this year, but his ankle really still gets him down.

Pudlugger
08-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by La Grange
Yeah that is my best friend you are talking about, and it still really gets him down when he realizes that he can't play anymore. This kid is the kind of guy that is good at anything, and losing him like that really hurt our class. He is going to try to play basketball this year, but his ankle really still gets him down.

You're right LG this young man is good at anything and even though he has suffered a tremendous disappointment, I am confident he will succeed in life. That is part of why sports such as football are so beneficial to kids. It provides them with the confidence, discipline and perserverance to succeed. What is important is whether or not you can pick yourself up and go on with your life when such fateful events interupt your dreams.
Even though sometimes you feel down you can get up and make the most out of those many gifts you have been given. Good look to both you and your friend. This is your final year in high school, but really only the beginning of your adult life. Make the most out of it.:)