PDA

View Full Version : How did your scrimmage go?

westTXbest
08-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Well Greenwood had Coahoma today. Started out a little slow but Greenwood handled them pretty easy 6 to 2. Greenwood had a runnig back that stood out, did very good 3 tds. D-fense had a few pics and some big hits, if we stay healthy and work on a few things its going to be a pretty good year. What did u think Ranger Mom???

olddawggreen
08-14-2004, 03:49 PM
Burnet Varsity wins their first scrimage against a 5a school! The Green Dogs looked very good against Westwood Roundrock today! I think were going to be ok. Sorry guys, I know its not 3a, but I couldnt help myself!:D :D

Old Green
08-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Burnet Varsity wins their first scrimage against a 5a school! The Green Dogs looked very good against Westwood Roundrock today! I think were going to be ok. Sorry guys, I know its not 3a, but I couldnt help myself!:D :D
Post about Burnet anytime OlddawgGreen. They're still in the family.:D
Great tohear they are looking good.

Are the Dawgs going to have a passing or more run oriented attack this year?

pedeefrommarlin
08-14-2004, 04:02 PM
it was a great today in Navossta in a three way scrimage between Marlin , Navossta , and Crockett in the first game marlins won 21- o against Navossta and Marlin beat crockett 14- 0 we are pretty good also marlins defense shut down running game of Navossta

rhino33
08-14-2004, 04:18 PM
i feel sick to my stomach

olddawggreen
08-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Post about Burnet anytime OlddawgGreen. They're still in the family.:D
Great tohear they are looking good.

Are the Dawgs going to have a passing or more run oriented attack this year?

It was pretty equal today. Both starting QB and Back up QB looked very good, everyones numbers were mixed up so I can't really give a lot of details about who did what (or they would have to shoot me:eek: ) But it was a very good day for Burnet Varsity Starters.:D

La Grange
08-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by rhino33
i feel sick to my stomach

Did yalls scrimmage not go as well as you wanted it to go?

We won ours 3-0 agianst 4a Del Valle, giving the fact that Del Valle is one of the worst 4a teams there is.

Old Cardinal
08-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Cleveland and Bridge City scrimmaged this morning. Cleveland is again extra big and a little undisciplined--they hold a whole lot...BC passed and moved the ball a little better than Cleveland. BC is hurting with only 8 Seniors on the squad, even less than last years squad. QBs, Haymon and Dishon threw the ball very well. It was interesting in that Haymon is a left hander and most all the roll-out pass plays were designed to the right making it a little harder to throw for a left hander...At this point I would have to say that these two team although scrappy are not in 3A contention. Cleveland has very good athletes but they seemed a little out of shape at this point of the preseason. With a lot of work Cleveland can surprise some folks this year.

zeke
08-14-2004, 06:07 PM
PeeDee, you sure you they were kicking extra points in that scrimmage? If you got the score right, I would think that was pretty impressive to shut down probably the quickest QB/RB combo in 3A from Navasota. You guys may have a decent team after all!!!

venomous tat2
08-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by pedeefrommarlin
it was a great today in Navossta in a three way scrimage between Marlin , Navossta , and Crockett in the first game marlins won 21- o against Navossta and Marlin beat crockett 14- 0 we are pretty good also marlins defense shut down running ga
me of Navossta

when you tell a story tell it right. (1) the first 6 periods or 30 mins teams were in 2 groups. linemen were going one on one, skill positions went 7 on 7. (2) NAVASOTA linemen dominated marlin and crockett linemen drive blocking and pass rush blocking. (3) 7 on 7 about even, marlin have a gooood qb and some good receivers. (4)how can you come up with a score when the whistle blows on 10 yard gain and a quick whistle on all qb's. why did'nt you tell it about goal line marlin O VS nav D the ball was placed on the 5 yrd line marlin scored on the first try and on the next 6 tries marlin was on the 25 yrd line when time ran out . crockett D vs nav O goal line scored 6 of 8 tries. this was not a regular scrimmage. the quick whistles were done to get more reps get your story stright i am a coach in nav.all 3 teams had a good showing and ya'll did not shut down chris smith or martin. good luck to marlin and crockett.

Pudlugger
08-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by La Grange
Did yalls scrimmage not go as well as you wanted it to go?

We won ours 3-0 agianst 4a Del Valle, giving the fact that Del Valle is one of the worst 4a teams there is.

3-0? I noted 3 tds by Del Valle but they were against our 2nd team.

Pball
08-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Palestine (first team) won 5-1 against Mexia (first team).

zeke
08-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Thanks coach, lil pedee needs to change that stinky diaper and quit telling those fish stories. I have to say I've never heard of a scrimmage like that one before. Good luck on your season. Please come back and keep us updated on your team. Is the option your bread and butter on offense?...just interested in what offense you'll mainly run.

venomous tat2
08-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Seke we run the spread offense and this is our sr's third year 3rd year running this offense.

8/19 (Scrm) Cleveland there
8/27 Waco Connelly Home
9/3 Gatesville There
9/10 Hou. Davis Home
9/17 (HC) Eligin Home
9/24 Tex. L/E Tyler Rose Sytadium
10/8 Rice Consol. There *
10/15 Hempstead There *
10/22 Belleville Home *
10/29 Columbus There *
11/5 Sealy Home *

* dist. 20-3A games

You are the only person on the board that gives the Rattlers a chance. Thanks for the love.

Old Cardinal
08-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Navasota Coach, Thanks for entering your opinion of your recent scrimmage. I would be interested in your take on the Aug. 19th scrimmage you have set with Cleveland. I think your players will learn a lot going against a group like Cleveland.

venomous tat2
08-14-2004, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Navasota Coach, Thanks for entering your opinion of your recent scrimmage. I would be interested in your take on the Aug. 19th scrimmage you have set with Cleveland. I think your players will learn a lot going against a group like Cleveland. [/ QUOTE]

i will be glad to give you the 411 good or bad.

NHSBulldogFan
08-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Nederland(4A) won today's scrimmage with Silsbee(3A) 3-1 Silsbee scored 1st with a 65 yard TD pass (1st Team Offense vs. 1st Team Defense) Nederland responded with a TD pass of thier own (1st Team Offense vs. 1st Team Defense) Nederland scored twice with 1st Team Offense vs. 2nd Team Defense total stats are below complements of bigned.com

Nederland Silsbee
First Downs 14 5
Rushes-Yards 20-110 26-42
Passing Yards 150 89

TOTAL PLAYS-YARDS 37-260 35-131

Avg. Gain/Play 7.0 3.7
Comp/Att/Int/TD 11/17/0/1 3/9/0/1
Penalties-Yards 3-20 4-30
3rd Down Conv. 3 of 6 2 of 9
4th Down Conv. 0 of 1 0 of 0

Scoring Summary
SIL- 65 yd. pass for TD (1st Team Pt. 1)
NED- Tyler Thompson 17 yd. pass from Dustin Hood (1st Team Pt. 1)
NED- Micah Mosley 2 yd. run (1st Team Pt. 2)
NED- Mosley 63 yd. run (1st Team Pt. 2)

texasjeremy
08-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Palestine flat out dominated Mexia. Next up are our former district foes, the Nacogdoches Dragons and their enrollment of 1900.

crabman
08-14-2004, 10:02 PM
I made the Yoakum Wharton scrimmage this morning. Yoakum finally has some size on the line. Not a lot of speed though. Wharton just looked flat out bad. They were not real big. With the exception of the quarterback, they were not real fast. They just looked really disappointing. Yoakum will be just fine this year. Wharton should be concerned.

Made the Cuero - Lockhart scrimmage this evening. The only Lockhart touchdown was one by the Lockhart JV. Freshmen was 4-0. JV 5-1. Varsity 5-0. I may be biased but I thought Cuero looked crisp. No missed tackles. 4 or 5 guys in on every tackle. Very few pass completions against the defense. Schumacher looked really strong and accurate at QB. Cooper wasn't needed much at running back but when he carried I don't think he ever got less than 6 yards. Offense was mixed up well. Noack, backup quarterback, looked sharp at quarterback. He is just a sophomore. Only item of concern was a few dropped passes. Overall, quite impressive.

Funny part of the evening was after the scrimmage. While Lockhart huddled in the end zone, Cuero ran 15 40 yard wind sprints. All of the coaches and parents just stopped what they were doing and watched. When our guys were done, Lockhart headed to the bus.

Goldenstick
08-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Dayton 26
WO-S 21

LHMom
08-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Liberty Hill scrimmaged Austin Anderson (5A.) The Panthers looked impressive. Following the scrimmage plays, we played one full quarter and LH outscored Austin Anderson by 14-0.

After the game, LH boys were running gassers while the Austin Anderson team was having a pizza party on the sidelines.

LH Mom
2004 The Year of the Cat
Building the Tradition

Bobkat
08-14-2004, 11:27 PM
Orangefield and Huffman played to a 2-2 tie this morning in Orangefield. Huffman is huge but don't have near the running game they had last year with Crews in the backfield. They'll be in the running in that district, but I don't think they are as good as they were last year. Orangefield has a scrappy little team. Not real big and not real fast, but they flat out get after you. Sophmore QB and TB looked very good today behind a solid performance from the offensive line. The Bobcats have a long way to go, especially after losing so many seniors off last years team, but I think the coaches have them heading in the right direction.

Ranger Mom
08-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by westTXbest
Well Greenwood had Coahoma today. Started out a little slow but Greenwood handled them pretty easy 6 to 2. Greenwood had a runnig back that stood out, did very good 3 tds. D-fense had a few pics and some big hits, if we stay healthy and work on a few things its going to be a pretty good year. What did u think Ranger Mom???

I was very impressed!! That whole team has seemed to really gel this year, something I noticed was missing last season.

I think Sebree is gonna do a fine job, and your little bro did a great job considering the "limitation" he had today.

Much better than last years scrimmage against Coahoma. At least we didn't have anybody get hurt today!

I feel better about the season after watching them this morning. Are you planning to go the scrimmage Friday night?

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-15-2004, 12:03 AM
Vernon had a good scrimmage against Ballinger.

Old Green
08-15-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by crabman
I made the Yoakum Wharton scrimmage this morning. Yoakum finally has some size on the line. Not a lot of speed though. Wharton just looked flat out bad. They were not real big. With the exception of the quarterback, they were not real fast. They just looked really disappointing. Yoakum will be just fine this year. Wharton should be concerned.

Made the Cuero - Lockhart scrimmage this evening. The only Lockhart touchdown was one by the Lockhart JV. Freshmen was 4-0. JV 5-1. Varsity 5-0. I may be biased but I thought Cuero looked crisp. No missed tackles. 4 or 5 guys in on every tackle. Very few pass completions against the defense. Schumacher looked really strong and accurate at QB. Cooper wasn't needed much at running back but when he carried I don't think he ever got less than 6 yards. Offense was mixed up well. Noack, backup quarterback, looked sharp at quarterback. He is just a sophomore. Only item of concern was a few dropped passes. Overall, quite impressive.

Funny part of the evening was after the scrimmage. While Lockhart huddled in the end zone, Cuero ran 15 40 yard wind sprints. All of the coaches and parents just stopped what they were doing and watched. When our guys were done, Lockhart headed to the bus.
This is the best shape I have seen the Gobblers in several years.
The passing attack is really coming around also. Those deep passes were awesome.:D

marlin fans Dad
08-15-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by venomous tat2
when you tell a story tell it right. (1) the first 6 periods or 30 mins teams were in 2 groups. linemen were going one on one, skill positions went 7 on 7. (2) NAVASOTA linemen dominated marlin and crockett linemen drive blocking and pass rush blocking. (3) 7 on 7 about even, marlin have a gooood qb and some good receivers. (4)how can you come up with a score when the whistle blows on 10 yard gain and a quick whistle on all qb's. why did'nt you tell it about goal line marlin O VS nav D the ball was placed on the 5 yrd line marlin scored on the first try and on the next 6 tries marlin was on the 25 yrd line when time ran out . crockett D vs nav O goal line scored 6 of 8 tries. this was not a regular scrimmage. the quick whistles were done to get more reps get your story stright i am a coach in nav.all 3 teams had a good showing and ya'll did not shut down chris smith or martin. good luck to marlin and crockett. so what was the score??????

KTJ
08-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Gainesville played Springtown (4A) but I don't have any details. :D

RBARKER
08-15-2004, 12:57 AM
I didnt'et to go but BH tied 4A crosby in their scrimmage. here is the write up.

On a pleasant Saturday night, Barbers Hill and Crosby's first team offense scored a touchdown each in their first series of plays. From that point, the defenses dominated the rest of the scrimmage. So, if you are keeping score (touchdowns scored), the scrimmages went as follows:

Varsity: BH 1 Crosby 1
Junior Varsity: BH 0 Crosby 0
Sophmores: BH 0 Crosby 0
Freshmen: BH 1 Crosby 0

Gobbla2001
08-15-2004, 01:24 AM
What I took from the Cuero/Lockhart scrimmage...

DEPTH...

I don't know which is better, our first, or our second team D... Actually, I'll give it to the first team D, but most of the second string D looked like they could start...

The second team O looked sharp as well, I was very impressed by them...

Cooper? Did he grow another inch or two? That kid's lookin' buff...

The passes were very accurate tonight, it looked like this was the 10th game of the season, not the first scrimmage of the season...

The highlights of the night was a deep pass to Cooper... The defender was right on him when the pass was caught... By the time Cooper crossed the goal-line, the defender was about 10 yards behind...

I'm pretty excited about these guys...

FG kicker looked accurate as well... What was it? about 10 kicks? Five from center and five from the right hash-mark? Missed one from the right...

These guys looked very hungry tonight...

TXMike
08-15-2004, 08:13 AM
Heck Gobbla, everyone knows you are biased towards the 2d teamers since you were always over there with them in your day. ;) (But that was the best place to write your articles from right???) :D

The big question is how did our refs look???

BrahmaMom
08-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Bellville looked pretty good against Brenham. Bellville is smaller this year, but with that size you get some speed. Sanders was right on as QB. He has a lot to work with--I was impressed with sophomore Alan Cooper's run, as well as the RB's. I was pleasantly surprised that our defense was so tough. Harrison has come into his own and looks like past LB's--ferocious. I can't tell you what a score was, but was very pleased with the showing for the Brahmas.

Gobbla2001
08-15-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by TXMike
Heck Gobbla, everyone knows you are biased towards the 2d teamers since you were always over there with them in your day. ;) (But that was the best place to write your articles from right???) :D

The big question is how did our refs look???

Sorry SOB ha jk...

Refs looked like they had a rough training camp as well... Knee braces all over the place...

I think they did well, they seemed to be on top of things... That was a good crew...

Did you get to go out and practice this weekend?

sinton66
08-15-2004, 09:45 AM
I got one report that Sinton won their scrimmage with Port Lavaca 4-1. Didn't get any stats, but the report said they saw a few things they needed to work on but were pleased overall.

TXMike
08-15-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Sorry SOB ha jk...

Refs looked like they had a rough training camp as well... Knee braces all over the place...

I think they did well, they seemed to be on top of things... That was a good crew...

Did you get to go out and practice this weekend?

The group that was there are almost all related. They were father, son, brother, uncle, etc. They had a few unrelated but even they are guys that typically officiate with 1 or more of the others. And now you know why so many refs hate to wear shorts, the dadgum knee braces are too visible!!!!

I got to run a bit at the Ingram-Hondo scrimmage in the AM. Weather was really nice. A great change over the past several years.

Gobbla2001
08-15-2004, 09:50 AM
The group that was there are almost all related. They were father, son, brother, uncle, etc. They had a few unrelated but even they are guys that typically officiate with 1 or more of the others. And now you know why so many refs hate to wear shorts, the dadgum knee braces are too visible!!!!

I got to run a bit at the Ingram-Hondo scrimmage in the AM. Weather was really nice. A great change over the past several years.

Yah, they looked like a close group of zebras...

How did Hondo look?

Old Green
08-15-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
I got one report that Sinton won their scrimmage with Port Lavaca 4-1. Didn't get any stats, but the report said they saw a few things they needed to work on but were pleased overall.

That sounds good 66. Coach will have those kinks out of the Pirates by first Game.

pedeefrommarlin
08-15-2004, 10:02 AM
well the first play from scrimage when marlin was up against Tank smith broke and ran over the rattlers right side defense to the endzone, then maybe 2 to 3 plays later our Qb did the same play but kept it to the left and took it to the house then our Qb and Wr hooked up for a pass that ended in the endzone so if this was a real scrimage we would have won 3 - 0 and Navossata tried to run with Cris Smith our stood him up , he is very big but i have never seen a back so overated he runs too high , and for the Qb i didn't see anything that impressed me

TXMike
08-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Yah, they looked like a close group of zebras...

How did Hondo look?

It looked much the same as I recalled it from my last visit there, although I swear they moved the McDonalds from where it used to be to a bit farther out Highway 90 to the East. Trains still roar through there at breakneck speed.

Gobbla2001
08-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Trains still roar through there at breakneck speed.

Sounds like Luling to me....

What about their team?

TXMike
08-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Sounds like Luling to me....

What about their team?

Both teams displayed great intensity and sportsmanship. Typical preseason problems with alignments and false starts but nothing major. I don't know if it is me or the kids but kids seem to be getting bigger and bigger every year.

Gobbla2001
08-15-2004, 10:15 AM
Both teams displayed great intensity and sportsmanship. Typical preseason problems with alignments and false starts but nothing major. I don't know if it is me or the kids but kids seem to be getting bigger and bigger every year.

Well that's good... Hondo has always been one of those teams that I have followed...

Just wanted to see how the Owls were looking...

Thanks...

Who do you have next week?

TXMike
08-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Well that's good... Hondo has always been one of those teams that I have followed...

Just wanted to see how the Owls were looking...

Thanks...

Who do you have next week?

Not sure about Thursday yet but Friday will be S Gerard and San Antonio Lutheran while Saturday will be a double header at the Alamodome, Taft-Roosevelt and Alamo Heights-East Central.

Gobbla2001
08-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Not sure about Thursday yet but Friday will be S Gerard and San Antonio Lutheran while Saturday will be a double header at the Alamodome, Taft-Roosevelt and Alamo Heights-East Central.

Dang, sound like a busy man...

TXMike
08-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Dang, sound like a busy man...

Scrimmages are unpaid and are pretty thankless so we don't have a ton of guys willing to work them. But the thing at the Dome is kind of unique as we use that each year as part of an on field clinic we run. We have several big name (to us anyway) college officials come in and give classroom and video training, followed by the 2 scrimmages where we rotate refs through and video them while working. Then they take thier film into a review room where one of the college guys critiques the crew on their work.

olddawggreen
08-15-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by LHMom
Liberty Hill scrimmaged Austin Anderson (5A.) The Panthers looked impressive. Following the scrimmage plays, we played one full quarter and LH outscored Austin Anderson by 14-0.

After the game, LH boys were running gassers while the Austin Anderson team was having a pizza party on the sidelines.

LH Mom
2004 The Year of the Cat
Building the Tradition

Congrats, LH Mom, Im excited to see LH is taking on some tough competition before District. It will definatly pay off down the road. Best wishes this year, ODG

venomous tat2
08-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by pedeefrommarlin
well the first play from scrimage when marlin was up against Tank smith broke and ran over the rattlers right side defense to the endzone, then maybe 2 to 3 plays later our Qb did the same play but kept it to the left and took it to the house then our Qb and Wr hooked up for a pass that ended in the endzone so if this was a real scrimage we would have won 3 - 0 and Navossata tried to run with Cris Smith our stood him up , he is very big but i have never seen a back so overated he runs too high , and for the Qb i didn't see anything that impressed me

like i said the whistle was blown after a 10 yard gain run or pass
to save time and get more plays in with 3 teams playing. yes tank ran to the end zone he did't stop when the whistle was blown our D did. remember the goal line D on the 5 yard line ya'll scored 1 time in 5 mins then got pushed back to the 30. as for chris he's not over rated that's you're opion and you know what they say about opions. heres a thought YOU get in front of him
and stop him. in my years of coaching i have seen teams score 5 to 8 times on a team then loose to that same team in the playoffs.
i understand YOU are just a fan not a coach you can't see the big picture you don't know football and can't coach it from the stands.
this is my last comment to you on this subject. good luck on your season.

WOS1
08-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Well... the "#1" team in 3A got our butts kicked yesterday by a very good 4A Dayton Broncos team. The Broncos offense dominated our defense in the first half by rolling out to a 20-7 half time lead in the 4 quarter game simulated scrimmage. The WO-S offense moved the ball well through out, but had a couple of turnovers and very costly penalties that slowed them down.

In the second half the Broncs jumped out to a 26-7 lead then the defense began to play better and the offense eliminated their mistakes and we charged back to 26-21. We had our chance with 2:04 left when we had Dayton in a 3rd and 16 situation at their own 45, but they converted on a 16 yard draw play.

Over all, the team improved dramatically from the first half to the second which is very typical of a Cornel Thompson team. There is definitely a lot of talent on the team, they just have to put all the pieces together. Also must give credit to Dayton, they are solid!! Big line and LOTS of speed. It was a good opponent to see where we're at. They have 6 back on their offense that went 10-2 last year and only lost to State finalist Bay City 22-16 in the regionals.

Rattlermom
08-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks Venemous Tat for taking up for one of our own. As a parent I have watched Chris from the 7th grade until now. No, he is definately NOT overrated. He's not only a great football player, but a great kid as well.

I don't know what went on at the scrimmage because after the second defensive play, I was on my way to get my son's leg stapled up. He took a cleat on the shin (spelled right ?) and had to go to the hospital for stiches (staples in this case). So the defense played on without him (He plays DE) So therefore I can't comment on what went on. What I did see was happening so fast, it was hard to keep up with!

I 'm pretty sure that the Marlin fan posting is just proud of his team, not trying to put the Rattlers down. I too have heard good things about Marlins football team. Have a great (AND SAFE!!)season!

LHMom
08-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Congrats, LH Mom, Im excited to see LH is taking on some tough competition before District. It will definatly pay off down the road. Best wishes this year, ODG

Thanks, OldDawgGreen. I think that's Vance's plan. Our next scrimmage is 4A Del Valle. We have 2 4A schools before we get to district. Good luck to y'all this year, also. Except September 3rd, of course. :)

crabman
08-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Gobbla and OG, did you notice, not a single false start by first or second team in 60 plays. We went on one, two, three, and even four.

Gobbla2001
08-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Gobbla and OG, did you notice, not a single false start by first or second team in 60 plays. We went on one, two, three, and even four.

I did notice that, they looked very disciplined out there...

crabman
08-15-2004, 09:05 PM
I haven't seen team speed like that since the days of Finley, Kubesch, Jenkins in 93 and 94. We have 6 running backs and ten receivers that are all interchangeable. The two quarterbacks almost are. I don't know if you noticed or not, the line haz zero depth. Any injury on the line would be devastating.

Johnny Utah
08-15-2004, 09:11 PM
Sounds as if Cuero will be playing in December if they stay away from the injury bug!!! They have a tough scrimmage against GP, but it is only a scrimmage. Good luck!!!

Old Green
08-15-2004, 09:23 PM
I haven't seen team speed like that since the days of Finley, Kubesch, Jenkins in 93 and 94. We have 6 running backs and ten receivers that are all interchangeable. The two quarterbacks almost are. I don't know if you noticed or not, the line haz zero depth. Any injury on the line would be devastating.
I noticed Coach Reeve Alternating the Lineman. Maybe he will bring up a couple from the JV.

Taylor on some of his catches reminded me of his dad who scored on the two long bombs in the87 championship Game.

G-P King
08-15-2004, 10:22 PM
"Made the Cuero - Lockhart scrimmage this evening. The only Lockhart touchdown was one by the Lockhart JV. Freshmen was 4-0. JV 5-1. Varsity 5-0. I may be biased but I thought Cuero looked crisp. No missed tackles. 4 or 5 guys in on every tackle. Very few pass completions against the defense. Schumacher looked really strong and accurate at QB. Cooper wasn't needed much at running back but when he carried I don't think he ever got less than 6 yards. Offense was mixed up well. Noack, backup quarterback, looked sharp at quarterback. He is just a sophomore. Only item of concern was a few dropped passes. Overall, quite impressive."

Glad to see yall doing so well. I hope yall give G-P a heck of a scrimage. Our boys need to get on a role! Gobla you going to make it to G-P on friday?

KL3
08-16-2004, 12:02 AM
Navasota's QB/RB combo is good, but I wouldn't say they're the quickest or fastest backfield even in their own district. Bellville's QB Sanders along with RB's Bryant/Benjamin/Cooper/Harris would take that honor.

CheerMom
08-16-2004, 08:38 AM
Rice beat Giddings 4-2 on Saturday. The Raider Defense looks good, as usual. The new O-Line got off to a slow and shaky start but looked a little better towards the end. I have confidence that these boys will do just fine.

falcons79
08-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Bobkat
Orangefield and Huffman played to a 2-2 tie this morning in Orangefield. Huffman is huge but don't have near the running game they had last year with Crews in the backfield. They'll be in the running in that district, but I don't think they are as good as they were last year. Orangefield has a scrappy little team. Not real big and not real fast, but they flat out get after you. Sophmore QB and TB looked very good today behind a solid performance from the offensive line. The Bobcats have a long way to go, especially after losing so many seniors off last years team, but I think the coaches have them heading in the right direction.

You must have watched a different game then we did, as far as our running game three of our varsity running backs did not even suit up, 1st varsity only played a few plays then second and third went in, you did ok against our second and third teams but 1st team offense did great and we had a long run. One of your own players told my son, he had never been hit so hard in his life, and your coaches said my son was a monster....

spiveyrat
08-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
Palestine flat out dominated Mexia. Next up are our former district foes, the Nacogdoches Dragons and their enrollment of 1900.

That enrollment doesn't mean much. Nacogdoches has been pretty lack-luster the past few years.

Bobkat
08-16-2004, 02:43 PM
You must have watched a different game then we did, as far as our running game three of our varsity running backs did not even suit up, 1st varsity only played a few plays then second and third went in, you did ok against our second and third teams but 1st team offense did great and we had a long run. One of your own players told my son, he had never been hit so hard in his life, and your coaches said my son was a monster....

First, how in the world am I suppose to know that three of your varsity running backs didn't play. I didn't say that your running game was bad, I said it wasn't as good as it was last year with that good running back yall had. Yall had one long run for a touchdown and that was it, the rest was average at best. If you want to throw injuries into the picture, our two returning all district picks on defense didn't play Saturday. One broke his arm in 7 on 7 and the other had re-constructive surgery on his wrist a few weeks back. I didn't say anything bad about your team at all.

Secondly, if your first team only played a "few" plays, then what were both of your all-district tackles doing in the the entire first series(20 plays) your first team played.

What did you have the score being? It was 2-2, with both teams scoring against the others first units. If you want to get picky about it, throw in that INT we returned for a TD that was blown dead.

Bottomline, yall thought that yall were going to walk all over us and win by 4 or 5 touchdowns and it didn't happen. Huffman had the better team and will do well in that district, but why don't you try giving our youngsters a little credit as well. We got after yall just like yall got after us and it was a very entertaining scrimmage to watch. Good luck to your Falcons!!!

http://img23.exs.cx/img23/8279/bobkat.jpg

falcons79
08-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Didn't mean to offend anyone or take away from your boys, they did play a good series. We here in huffman are tried of hearing about we are not going to be as good a team without curtis. I have know curtis for most of his life and believe me he has said more then once that he would not have been able to do what he did without out the line. We are just saying the line is still there and we have running backs that are just as good.. As far as the all district tackles, one is my son, I know what they did and what they can do in a real game.

texasjeremy
08-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
That enrollment doesn't mean much. Nacogdoches has been pretty lack-luster the past few years.

Isn't it amazing though that a school with 1900 students can not even hang with schools with less than 1000 students.

JasperDog94
08-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Rattlermom
I don't know what went on at the scrimmage because after the second defensive play, I was on my way to get my son's leg stapled up. He took a cleat on the shin (spelled right ?) and had to go to the hospital for stiches (staples in this case). So the defense played on without him (He plays DE) So therefore I can't comment on what went on. What I did see was happening so fast, it was hard to keep up with!! I hope that your son has a fast recovery Rattlermom. Give him our best from the down low!

BIGHANK
08-16-2004, 11:06 PM
well if its any thing to ya diboll just couldnt pull it together we were just not ready mentally i mean i am on the line and we man handled them physically but mentaly we just could not hang man it makes me so mad that we are so good but cannot pull ourselves together upstairs look for us to rely on the running game boys

zeke
08-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Hey BIGHANK, How about a few more details? Who did Diboll scrimmage and what was the outcome? Do you guys have a good QB to feed the Finley kid passes this year? How many starters return this year?
Have a great year!!!

mwynn05
08-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by BIGHANK
well if its any thing to ya diboll just couldnt pull it together we were just not ready mentally i mean i am on the line and we man handled them physically but mentaly we just could not hang man it makes me so mad that we are so good but cannot pull ourselves together upstairs look for us to rely on the running game boys dont get down on your team that wont do any good remember sometimes it just takes awhile for a team to get it together

zeke
08-17-2004, 10:32 PM
QUOTE from KL3

Navasota's QB/RB combo is good, but I wouldn't say they're the quickest or fastest backfield even in their own district. Bellville's QB Sanders along with RB's Bryant/Benjamin/Cooper/Harris would take that honor.

KL3, you could be right, but I doubt it. Martin and Smith from Navasota attended the top recruiting football camp in the nation last May, which is put on by Student Sports at College Station. They competed against some of the nations top football prospects with over 200 college coaches in attendance. Student Sports has highly competent and unbiased personell manning the stop watches. What you get at this combine is a highly reliable measurement of the athletes speed and quickness. The day the testing was done was a moist and rainy day on astroturf, but everybody competed under the same conditions. I noticed the absence of any of the athletes you mention from Bellville. I have included as a comparison several of the most highly recruited running backs in 3A. Also, I'm including the results based on their position where they competed against top 4A and 5A prospects.
Also, Chris Smith has alredy been recruited and has committed to play for TCU. What Div.I school is recruiting your guys?

40 Yard Dash
t-12 Scott Martin QB 6-0 / 168 Navasota, TX 4.47
t-17 Chris Smith RB 5-11 / 218 Navasosta, TX 4.51
t-50 Terrius Purvey RB 5-10 / 177 Gainesville, TX 4.6
t-59 Cody Glenn RB 5-11.5 / 211 Rusk, TX 4.62
t-59 Tank Smith RB 5-8 / 205 Marlin, TX 4.62

20 (5-10-5 yards) Yard Shuttle
t-14 overall-Scott Martin QB 6-0 / 168 Navasota, TX 4.16
Cody Glenn RB 5-11.5 / 211 Rusk, TX 4.31
Chris Smith RB 5-11 / 218 Navasosta, TX 4.41
Tank Smith RB 5-8 / 205 Marlin, TX 4.75
Terrius Purvey RB 5-10 / 177 Gainesville, TX 5.13

Vertical Leap
Scott Martin QB 6-0 / 168 Navasota, TX 37.4
Chris Smith RB 5-11 / 218 Navasosta, TX 35.7
Terrius Purvey RB 5-10 / 177 Gainesville, TX 33
Cody Glenn RB 5-11.5 / 211 Rusk, TX 30.3
Tank Smith RB 5-8 / 205 Marlin, TX 26.5

COLLEGE STATION NIKE TRAINING CAMP: 40-yard dash (QB)
Quarterbacks from Texas
1 Scott Martin QB 6-0 / 168 Navasota, TX 4.47
2 Chase Daniel QB 6-0.5 / 214 Southlake, TX 4.5
3 Jacob Lacey QB 5-10 / 155 Garland, TX 4.52
t-4 Clint Bricker QB 6-0.5 / 196 Austin, TX 4.56
t-4 Collin Cox QB 6-0.5 / 171 Rowlett, TX 4.56
6 Casey Dick QB 6-1 / 196 Allen, TX 4.65
t-7 Will Buchanan QB 6-0.5 / 163 Austin, TX 4.66
t-7 J.R. Kirkendoll QB 6-0 / 173 Round Rock, TX 4.66
9 Clint Walraven QB 6-0 / 170 Alvarado, TX 4.69
10 Ashford Ayers QB 6-0 / 200 Lufkin, TX 4.7
11 Colt McCoy QB 6-1 / 180 Tuscola, TX 4.72
12 Brian Harris QB 6-1 / 200 Mesquite, TX 4.75
13 Marcus Jackson QB 6-1 / 195 Houston, TX 4.77
t-14 Eric Johnson QB 6-1 / 198 Plano, TX 4.78
t-14 Bryant Wilson QB 6-4.5 / 177 Dallas, TX 4.78
t-16 Steven Headley QB 5-11 / 206 Grapevine, TX 4.8
t-16 Barry Laird QB 6-3.5 / 206 Baytown, TX 4.8
t-16 Josh Neiswander QB 6-1 / 193 Winnsboro, TX 4.8
t-19 Nathan Newman QB 6-3.5 / 186 Houston, TX 4.81
t-19 Case Keenum QB 6-0 / 172 Abilene Wylie, TX 4.81
21 Jamaal Pettiford QB 6-0 / 196 Humble, TX 4.84
22 Billy Bob Orsagh QB 5-10 / 152 Eastland, TX 4.86
23 Justin Williams QB 6-1 / 197 Denton, TX 4.87
24 T.J. Jordan QB 6-0 / 191 Friendswood, TX 4.88
25 Blake Joseph QB 6-1 / 182 Bryan, TX 4.91

COLLEGE STATION NIKE TRAINING CAMP: 40-yard dash (RB)
Running backs from Texas
1 Anthony Boykins 5-8 / 177 Dallas, TX 4.38
1 Aaron Luna 5-10 / 196 Southlake, TX 4.38
3 Kyle Fox 5-8 / 172 Converse, TX 4.4
3 C.J. Ugokwe 5-9 / 203 Plano, TX 4.4
5 Kestahn Moore 5-10.5 / 196 Arlington, TX 4.41
5 Vincent Pervis RB 5-9.5 / 168 Texas City, TX 4.41
7 Wayne McKnight RB 5-8.5 / 166 Cedar Hill, TX 4.47
8 Robert Payne Jr. RB 5-7.5 / 181 San Angelo, TX 4.5
9 Chris Smith RB 5-11 / 218 Navasosta, TX 4.51
10 Jared Hawkins RB 5-10 / 175 Klein, TX 4.52
11 Neal Carr 5-8.5 / 172 Fort Worth, TX 4.54
12 Melvin Davis 5-7 / 169 Houston, TX 4.56
13 Lamark Carter RB 5-11 / 195 Arlington, TX 4.58
14 Brandon Pennick RB 5-9 / 169 Austin, TX 4.59
14 Deon Wallace RB 5-7 / 174 Houston, TX 4.59
16 Steven Harper RB 5-8 / 176 Mesquite, TX 4.6
16 Terrius Purvey RB 5-10 / 177 Gainesville, TX 4.6
16 Kobey Lewis RB 5-5.5 / 166 Abilene, TX 4.6
19 Cody Glenn RB 5-11.5 / 211 Rusk, TX 4.62
19 Tank Smith RB 5-8 / 205 Marlin, TX 4.62
21 Walter Nesbit III 5-7 / 171 Mesquite, TX 4.63
22 Kevin Clater RB 5-8 / 191 Fort Worth, TX 4.65
23 Deron Guidry RB 5-8.5 / 193 Tomball, TX 4.66
23 Justin Joyce RB 5-9.5 / 175 Austin, TX 4.66
23 Justin Richards 5-8.5 / 170 Katy, TX 4.66
23 Ricky Palmer 5-5.5 / 162 Tulsa, OK 4.66
23 Justin Richards 5-8.5 / 170 Katy, TX 4.66

RAIDER96
08-18-2004, 03:30 AM
I have to agree with you,CH. That O line has a way to go. Poor Charles Huffman is going to have to get his yards the ole fashion way this year. Looks like it will be up to the defense to keep us in the game. Anyway I'm ready to get this thing started. Lets play some football! Looks and sounds like everyone is ready. Good luck to all of you.

NHSRattler60
08-18-2004, 07:20 PM
The only thing i want to say on the subject of the scrimmage of Marlin, Crockett and Navasota is this

A) The whistle was blown after every 10 yards and even if you did gain 15 on a pass, 10 was all you got.

B) It was a professional type scrimmage, not a preseason game, so no scores were kept, we played in practice gear

C) Chris was not shut down completely, in fact nobody was shut down completely. Everyone: Crockett, Marlin, and Navasota got great plays off. In fact against marlin the 3rd or 4th play chris had a hole all the way to the end zone, I know because I'm the staring center.

D) Scrimmages aren't to see who the winning team is. Scrimmages are to see what everyone needs to do to get better. I wish both Marlin and crockett good luck in the season and hopefully we meet in the playoffs.

#60, Starting Center, Navasota Rattlers