PDA

View Full Version : West Texas Pot Shots...Agree or Disagree!

vet93
08-13-2004, 05:27 PM
1. How do you think that Merkel will do without coach Flowers at the helm and losing some very good players? Answer: I think that Merkel will be solid but not as strong as last year. I think that the realignment put them in a district where being "solid" just isn't good enough. Agree or Disagree?

2. Does Clyde have any chance of making the playoffs this year? Answer: There is always a chance and Clyde has made some good strides the last few years (upset Wylie), but I think that they will be toast in the new district. Too bad...I think that they would make the playoffs in a weaker district. Agree or Disagree?

3. Is Monahans a shoe-in to win their district? Answer: No, conventional wisdom tells you that they will be....but don't count out Greenwood. My Greenwood theory tells me that they are much more effective and successful as a team when they are NOT expected to do well. Don't be surprised if they don't upset some people including Monahans. Agree or Disagree?

4. Will Perryton sink or swim? Answer: Depends on your definition of sink or swim. They will have a good season but will come back to earth when they face a non-panhandle region 1 team. Agree or Disagree?

5. Will Wylie win their district? Answer: Yes, they will not look that impressive in preseason but by the time district rolls around they will be clicking. Agree or Disagree?

6. Will Vernon beat Graham? Answer: Yes, the lions are back and should beat a good Graham team. Graham will then continue their 1st round loss streak against Gainesville. Agree or Disagree?

7. Will anyone upset the big three of Wylie, Snyder and Sweetwater in district? Answer: No, Merkel will be very solid but not enough to take a playoff spot. Agree or Disagree?

8. Who has a shot of upsetting Gainesville? Answer: Wylie, if they develop some of their inexperienced people and if Keenum can develope his run/pass dual threat....they have a shot. Agree or Disagree?

9. Who will be the biggest surprise in Region !? Answer: Sweetwater, nobody has mentioned them as much of a contender (not even many of the Sweetwater people). They have the talent to reload and Coach Jackson knows how to use his talent. They will be green, but by the end of the season they could very well be one of the better DII teams. Agree or Disagree?

10. Which old west texas 3a school will do the best dropping down next year? Answer: Kermit, Coach Jones will have the Yellowjackets humming and they could do some real damage. They have been getting increasingly competitive and moving down will really help them. Childress runs a close second. Agree or Disagree?

GoDeep
08-13-2004, 06:22 PM
1. Agree
2. agree
3. agree
4. agree
5. Diasgree-Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then
6. Disagree-Graham beats Vernon but continues the first round choke. Vernon makes some waves in the playoffs.
7. agree
8. agree-they have a way of beating teams they shouldnt(ie Everman) and Gainesvile has a way of underachieving(ie, every year except 2003)
9. Disagree-Sweetwater is never a suprise. I think Lamesa or Muleshoe jumps back up, or possibly Pilot Point.
10. Disagree-I like Ballinger's chances better, even without Posey. Tradition never graduates.

Ranger Mom
08-13-2004, 06:29 PM
I have no clue!!:confused:

KTJ
08-13-2004, 06:52 PM
8. agree-they have a way of beating teams they shouldnt(ie Everman) and Gainesvile has a way of underachieving(ie, every year except 2003)

What does that mean, regarding Gainesville and underachieving?

Da Mules
08-13-2004, 07:37 PM
1: Dunno! Merkel was on the way up... losing a coach can have a big impact. But Barry Switzer and Jerry the Jerk won a Super Bowl with the team that Jimmy J built.. Merkel MIGHT make the playoffs.
2: Agree Clyde needs to win in order to get a winning tradition, and ya can't have a winning tradition unless ya win... kinda catch22.
3: On paper, da Loboes look good enough to win it... but Gwood has that TRADITION and they ain't gonna give the title to anybody without a scrap.
4: I think Perryton has their bluff in over Borger & Canyon. They should be the 1st seeded DII playoff rep from 1-3A, and might square off against da Mules in round 1.
5: agree. Wylie will sweep their district; just because they think they can, if no other reason.
6: Agree. I think the Lions will pan out to be the top team in Region 1. I was extremely impressed with them vs Sweetwater last year (Sweetwater was impressive also) and they are a big enough school that they always seem to re-load. They don't exactly have the best QB in R1.
7: Agree. Barring injuries or academic losses, nobody else in that district has a chance... but back to question 1. Merkel ??
8: Vernon has a shot at it, if they even wind up in the same playoff division.
9: I would NOT be surprised to see Sweetwater do well. Go Deep, Lamesa scrimmages with Muleshoe tomorrow morning... maybe I can figure out a little bit more about both teams after the scrum. Golden Tornado forecast, anybody???
10: I guess Crane and Shallowater don't count because they dropped down prior to this year. Newbies: Ballinger, Denver City, Childress shoud all be good in 2A

HighSchool Fan
08-13-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by GoDeep
Gainesvile has a way of underachieving(ie, every year except 2003)

Please explain on how can you say Gainesville underachieves when they have never, in their history been ranked #1 or picked to win state?

GoDeep
08-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Sure, I can explain it.
Just about every year, Gainesville steamrolls opponents to a 10-0 or a 9-1 record(they lost to Celina a few years ago in what was, to me, an upset), only to exit the playoffs within the first round or so. Last year, obviously, was the exception. Maybe it's the new rule. Who knows? But, I do know that the last two years, going into the playoffs, Gainesvile was always picked pretty high and they sputtered. That's what I meant by underachieving.
By the way, I never said they were overrated. They were always extremely talented. They just always seemed to come up short when it mattered the most. Last year, they finally put it all together.

wildstangs
08-13-2004, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by vet93
[B]1. How do you think that Merkel will do without coach Flowers at the helm and losing some very good players? Answer: Merkel will be decent, unfortunately they are in a very tough district. It will take a huge upset for them to sneak in the playoffs.

2. Does Clyde have any chance of making the playoffs this year? Answer: Poor Clyde, they have seven returning on a defense that held Abilene Wylie to 7 points last year. Then they get stuck in the toughest district in the state. I can't see them winning a district game this year.

3. Is Monahans a shoe-in to win their district? Answer: No...Monahans has a habit of upsetting great team, or getting beat by a pretty awful team. Lamesa and Seminole both beat them last year. However, I think Coach Hanna will have them ready to play by district....Shoe-in? No, but I still think they will win the distict.

4. Will Perryton sink or swim? Answer: I agree, Perryton will dominate the Panhandle, but I cant see them beating anyone from the metroplex area.

5. Will Wylie win their district? Answer: I think Wylie will most likely end up sharing the title with someone else.

6. Will Vernon beat Graham? Answer: Vernon seems to be loaded, I think they win a very close game. Poor Graham, another one and done for them.

7. Will anyone upset the big three of Wylie, Snyder and Sweetwater in district? Answer: I have a feeling Lambert is going to have a HUGE game against one of these teams and will lead the Badgers to a win.

8. Who has a shot of upsetting Gainesville? Answer: Wylie does ahve a shot, a very good shot. Other than them, a non west Texas team - Decatur

9. Who will be the biggest surprise in Region !? Answer: I think with all the hype surronding Ranchview they will be a surprise win or lose. We have heard a lot about them, so if they dont live up to the expectations it will be a huge surpise. ( I know they arent in West Texas, but I couldnt think of anyone else.)

10. Which old west texas 3a school will do the best dropping down next year? Answer: I hope to see Childress return to some of the greatness they have had in the past. I also hope Vet's Cats will have a great year. Gonna be a tough draw though with Jim Ned and Bangs. Lost a lot of seniors as well. When and Where is the Jim Ned - Ballinger game? Great post by the way. Good to see some talk about football!

KTJ
08-13-2004, 10:43 PM
Sure, I can explain it.
Just about every year, Gainesville steamrolls opponents to a 10-0 or a 9-1 record(they lost to Celina a few years ago in what was, to me, an upset), only to exit the playoffs within the first round or so. Last year, obviously, was the exception. Maybe it's the new rule. Who knows? But, I do know that the last two years, going into the playoffs, Gainesvile was always picked pretty high and they sputtered. That's what I meant by underachieving.
By the way, I never said they were overrated. They were always extremely talented. They just always seemed to come up short when it mattered the most. Last year, they finally put it all together.

Alright, here I go.

First off, Gainesville wasn't expected to win state last year, the year before that, or the year before that. No one had them down as going "deep" or even winning title. Have they always had talented teams? Of course. But saying they underachieved isn't justified. Besides, if you say they underachieved, then I would go on to say that you are underestimating Region II, which Gainesville has always been in, 3A and 4A.

Also, sure G-ville is going to get by the opposition with a pretty solid record. 9-3A wasn't exactly a powerhouse these last several years. (EX: Whitesboro, Pottsboro, Little Elm, et.al.) Even now, with Bowie and both the 'boro's and throw in a weak Sanger team, the results will be the same--Gainesville atop the district with Pilot Point close behind.

The bottom line is that they have never been expected to win the title, not since the mid '70's. So I don't see how they have underachieved.

Ask any poster on this board did they have Gainesville winning state and they will say no--they had Burnet taking the DI title. And most of them don't have G-ville winning this year. They have WOS taking it.

VWG
08-13-2004, 10:59 PM
1. Merkel will have a great player in Lambert, but he can't do it all. Merkel won't get to the playoffs this year.

2. Sure, there is always a chance for Clyde to get into the playoffs. A very slim chance. With having to battle Snyder, Wylie, Merkel, and Sweetwater for three spots it will be tough for Clyde to make it.

3. With Greenwood in the district with Monahans, there is no way they're a shoe in for district title. Greenwood will play hard and I agree that they will come together as a team and battle Monahans for the district title.

4. Perryton will make the playoffs, but I agree that they might not have the talent to get past the area round of the playoffs.

5. I am predicting that Wylie will win the district over Sweetwater and Snyder. Wylie is just tough. Numbers, facilities, coaching, etc.... I never bet against Sandifer. Don't get me wrong I love what Jackson has done at Sweetwater. Jackson did great at 2A Olney before he left for Mustang country.... but Keenum and their offense will be that good. Unless Keenum breaks his arm or leg, Wylie will win district.

6. Many people have their eyes on the Lions this year, and with good reason. Strong backs coming back in Favors and Hall, good coach with a momentum coming from last years Region I championship in DII. Can they take the Steers this year in district play? Both play pretty tough pre-district schedules. Graham will re-load as they get about 85 kids out every year for JV and Varsity ball. They have a district MVP running back coming back and they will also have a great defense. All I know is that don't miss that game whenever Graham and Vernon meet this year.

7. Yea, somebody will knock Snyder or Sweetwater for a loss. Maybe a turnover returned for a TD, big sack, blocked punt, something to turn the game and give somebody like Merkel or Clyde a win against Snyder or Sweetwater. Wylie goes through district undefeated.... just a prediction.

8. My best guess would be Wylie. Coaching, coaching, coaching... Let Sandifer have a week to study, prepare, and put an offensive gameplan together and he should prepare his kids to make an upset. If it would be an upset... all I here about Gainesville is Purvey at RB. Where is the supporting cast?

9. Biggest Surprise? I still look for WF Hirschi to make the playoffs in district 5-3A. People don't realize how much raw talent that school has. Maybe the new coach can put things together.
Now, past bi-district....who knows, but to make the playoffs for the Hirschi team will be a big surprise as DCTF has them predicted to finish in the cellar behind Breckenridge in district.
I also see Decatur going out early in the playoffs. Yes, Dane is a super QB and they have a great WR coming back. I am just not sold on the rest of the team and two superstars cannot carry you through the playoffs. (That's why Sandifer is so good, he takes the talent he's got and makes it successful)

10. Childress. They were very competitive last year. I can't remember if they beat Holliday or just barely lost that game, but Holliday is always a power out of Region I in 2A. Childress now becomes the big fish in a small pond, and they will go deep in the playoffs this year. Bet on it.

GoDeep
08-13-2004, 11:02 PM
I never said a word about a state title. Apparently, you missed the gist of my post, so I'll put it more directly. Gainesvile has a habit of losing to teams in the playoffs that they shouldnt, or that it at least seemed that they shouldnt have. I didnt think they'd win it last year, the year before, or the year before that, or before that. But, just about every year I expected them to go farther than they did once the playoffs started. But, they always end up losing the first time they played a true contender. Im sorry if Ive offended your poster children or something, but this is simply my opinion. Last year, I thought they might get beat by LE, and I woulda bet money they were done when Forney popped on the screen. But, I was wrong. Hopefully, for them, this is the new rule and not the exception.

Ranger Mom
08-13-2004, 11:11 PM
This is why I love this site.:inlove:

I tend to focus on the Rangers until the season starts and then study up on our opponent the week before the game.

It's knowledgable posts like all those above that always seem to give me some insight into what can be expected to come.

Thanks Guys!!

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-13-2004, 11:36 PM
1. Agree...Merkel lost too much.

2. Agree...Clyde misses the playoffs. District is too tough.

3. Disagree...I think Monahans wins district but maybe not by a shoe in.

4. Disagree...I think Perryton will be the team to beat.

5. Agree...Wylie is tough and will have seen some good football teams in non-district.

6. Agree...This is always a good game. The tide has to turn sometime and I think this is the year. Vernon has some size in their d-tackles and the Graham dive has killed Vernon in the past. Graham lost all but 1 on the O-line that wrecked Vernon's d-line last year. That is the difference in a close game.

7. Agree...all three teams will be good.

8. Agree...Wylie is the team that could do it.

9. Agree...Sweetwater could be the darkhorse and they have not received much attention. I have another one....I would submit Iowa Park. They have their QB back who was very good last year. He really is a dual threat running and passing. Great coaching adjustments too. Watch for them.

10. Agree...Childress should have it a lot easier in 2A. They did lose their QB and a host of talent. But I think they dominate...They spanked Holliday last year by the way.

HighSchool Fan
08-13-2004, 11:48 PM
I never said a word about a state title. Apparently, you missed the gist of my post, so I'll put it more directly. Gainesvile has a habit of losing to teams in the playoffs that they shouldnt, or that it at least seemed that they shouldnt have. I didnt think they'd win it last year, the year before, or the year before that, or before that. But, just about every year I expected them to go farther than they did once the playoffs started. But, they always end up losing the first time they played a true contender. Im sorry if Ive offended your poster children or something, but this is simply my opinion. Last year, I thought they might get beat by LE, and I woulda bet money they were done when Forney popped on the screen. But, I was wrong. Hopefully, for them, this is the new rule and not the exception.

It seems that you opinion about G'ville has been wrong. The last time they went to state before last year was in the late 70's. They haven't even been close until last year. It seems your opinions for G'ville were higher than any one elses the last 25 years. The were never picked to go to far in the playoffs, except by you. In all of the polls last year the highest G'ville was rated was 18 in DCTF before the season started. But, hey, we do enjoy your support.

KTJ
08-13-2004, 11:49 PM
You didn't offend me nor "my poster children." You made a comment and I'm just debating it.

Do I agree that Gainesville should have gone deeper in years past? Of course. But do I think we underachieved? No sir, not in any way whatsoever. Given the situation with coaching, they ended their runs right about where everyone expected them to.

So no, I didn't miss the gist of your post, I got it on the first try. I think underachieving occurs when everyone, press, pre-season mags, polls, etc, expects you to win big, not just a random person.

GoDeep
08-14-2004, 12:13 AM
KTJ, you're still missing my point. I said nothing at all about preseason rankings. Look at how many #1 picks havent made the playoffs. Those mean nothing to me. Im talking about week 10-week 11, after they've gone 10-0 or 9-1. At that point, they're ranked kinda high and expected to make some waves. After a 10-0 season, they should. But, then they sputter and are gone early. After you've steamrolled 10 teams, you oughta make a serious run at a state title, and when you dont, to me, that's underachieving. Obviously, you have close ties to Gainesvile, so I'll quit arguing. I learned a long time ago not to argue religion, politics, or football with someone who's from the town you're talking about.

vet93
08-14-2004, 08:45 AM
I have to agree with Godeep a little. In the few years prior to the championship season, I thought that Gainesville would do more damage than they did. Especially with such a large enrollment and sterling regular season record. I was pleasantly surprised when they were able to hold things together to make a run last year and take the crown. With the athletes that Gainesville has access to, they should go to the quarterfinals at least just about every year (much like Everman did the last 3-4 years). By the way Godeep...just curious...how did someone from Anahuac get intersted in west texas football!

GoDeep
08-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Anahuac's just been one of my many stops. LOL Ive spent some time in West Texas, as well.

KTJ
08-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Dude, I understood what you were saying initially. If I didn't, I would have asked for clarification or never responded.

And yes I went to Gainesville (1996-2000) as well as my sister (c/o 2004), parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, and a crapload of others. I really don't have "ties" to GHS anymore, since all of my family has graduated. Nonetheless, it's my alma mater.

So back to the argument at hand--do I agree that after a 10-0 or 9-1 season (which Gainesville has had maybe twice in the last 6-7 years) mean that you should be expected to make a serious run at state? Yep, sure do. But once again, I think you underestimated Region II and those East Texas teams. Gainesville always lost to people they should have, IMO--Atlanta, Liberty-Eylau, Commerce, Frisco, etc.

GoDeep
08-14-2004, 01:45 PM
If you and your entire family graduate from Gainesvile, then yes, it would impossible to have a reasonable discussion about this with you. It's only been four years since you graduated, I was the same way for about 10 years after I graduated(of course, there were no computers then and dinosaurs roamed the earth). That's just the way it works. In Texas, it's like arguing religon with someone. In about 15 years, we'll try this discussion again.
By the way, Im VERY familiar with region 2 and East Texas schools. Ive had my rear end handed to me a time or two by'em, and Ive given out some beatings as part of a few of them. Dont assume you know anything about someone.

KTJ
08-14-2004, 04:35 PM
I think this is a reasonable discussion I've agreed with you on some points and disagreed with others. I also never said I knew anything about yourself. I said you were underestimating Region II. Gainesville hasn't been that deep in Regionals since the loss to Atlanta in the State Quarters in the mid-90's.

HighSchool Fan
08-14-2004, 07:20 PM
I graduated from G'ville almost 20 years ago. You still haven't proved you point about G'ville underachieving. There are many teams that win 9 to 10 games a year and still lose in the 1st or 2nd round. Show me in what year G'ville was predicted to go deep in the playoffs, even after a 9 or 10 win season. 2 years ago Celina won 10 games and lost in the 2nd round. That was there 1st year in 3a, but under your opinions, they should of been playing for state. You need to take into consideration what district G'ville played in.

Buffalo
08-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Wylie will not win the district. Coaching or not.

wildstangs
08-15-2004, 07:38 PM
If not Wylie, Who is your pick Buffalo? Merkel or Clyde? :)

Buffalo
08-15-2004, 08:06 PM
No one of the other 2 or a three way. I agree that Wylie has a good coaching staff I just know the others do as well. That is just my take on it. I know you made a statement close to this earlier

VWG
08-15-2004, 08:15 PM
On the Sweetwater, Snyder, Wylie coaching debate....
Sweetwater's Jackson is an excellent coach. Has had success at 2A Olney and now at Sweetwater.
Don't know much about Snyder's coach.
Sandifer has too many skins on the wall compared to the other two. Sandifer has been at Wylie for 20+ years, been to the playoffs several times, and has a state championship under his belt.
As far as coaching goes, I give the nod to Sandifer and his staff over Sweetwater and Snyder.

wildstangs
08-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Sandefer doesnt have a state championship at Wylie.

Buffalo
08-15-2004, 08:26 PM
I said the others are good as well. He has played for a State Championship he has not won one. He does a lot with the talent he has i agree. Sweetwater has beat them 3 out of the last 3 years I believe maybe 2 out of 2 not sure wildstang will know for sure.

Black_Magic
08-16-2004, 06:45 AM
I think Snyder will take that district. They looked very good against Frenship. Snyder is running the ball great as always but also threw for several first downs . Snyder had a few first downs on thier first offensive 15 play series but didnt get into the endzone until the second 15 play series. they handled frenship prety well on defense as well. Frenships offence was kept out of the endzone on both thier possesions and only registered about 3 first downs the whole time. Frenship is supose to finish in the top two in that 4A district. Maybe They are over raited or Snyder is under raited.

fury900
08-16-2004, 10:37 AM
1. Agree

2. Disagree

3. Agree

4. Agree

5. Disagree

6. Agree

8. Disagree

9. Disagree

10. Childress

:D

westTXbest
08-16-2004, 11:46 AM
does snyder still have malcomb wells? If so is he playing this year?

lobo12
08-16-2004, 11:53 AM
i think he was a senior

jace
08-16-2004, 12:53 PM
I dont see how yall can say perryton will not go far when their is none of yall that really know anything about them. I think with 9 returning starters on offense and 7 on defense makes them pretty good.

Buffalo
08-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Malcomb Wells does have a brother that is bigger and faster then he was. He is a JR.

Black_Magic
08-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Wells does have a younger brother. But Snyders Tail Back is this new kid who moved in from Arizona. I was told he rushed for over a 1000 yards last year at a 5A high school there in AZ. He is the same size as wells but is faster . I saw him run this week vs frenship and he was very good. not the juke and jive runner Wells was but a more of a north south slashing runner. Ive seen them both and he is an improvement over wells.

vet93
11-30-2004, 10:08 AM
This was a topic of discussion before the season began.....check to see if your predictions on west texas teams came true or not!!!

Ranger Mom
11-30-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I have no clue!!:confused:

Hehe....my picks were right on target!!!