PDA

View Full Version : 3A East Texas Rankings.. A to Z.

Horseymen
08-13-2004, 04:09 AM
In an interesting endeavor, our new East Texas writer, Josh Ellis, has taken about the task that some of the other writers at our website have, and that is ranking 34 East Texas teams from 1 to 34. You can rip him here, I suppose. :) (Hopefully you guys break him in gentler than you did me!)

bullfrog_alumni_02
08-13-2004, 04:26 AM
is there supposed to be a link in there somewhere???:thinking: :confused:

Horseymen
08-13-2004, 04:31 AM
You can go to www.texasprepxtra.com and it should be on the front page, in the event it's not, you can click on team rankings on the left side and get it, or go to this direct link.

http://texasprepxtra.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=320126

bullfrog_alumni_02
08-13-2004, 04:41 AM
thanks your a good man charlie bro...i mean horsey men

sinton66
08-13-2004, 06:35 AM
Wonder if he realizes he has Mount Vernon on there at two different spots?

bullfrog_alumni_02
08-13-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Wonder if he realizes he has Mount Vernon on there at two different spots? maybe he just likes them...

spiveyrat
08-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
maybe he just likes them...

...or just couldn't decide where to put them?

spiveyrat
08-13-2004, 09:32 AM
:rolleyes:

He better get his map out... Last time I checked, Districts 22-24 are all in east Texas.

Matthew328
08-13-2004, 11:13 AM
I think 22-24 are gonne be lumped in with Greater Houston...

Horseymen
08-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Is it really greater?

spiveyrat
08-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Houston media doesn't cover Jasper any more.

Horseymen
08-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Does Tyler cover them then? or do you have to be in Lufkin/Nac to get Jasper coverage out of Jasper?

Gobbla2001
08-13-2004, 12:02 PM
I noticed they were ranked semi-low in this poll, but in everyone's opinion here (atleast everyone who knows about them), how are D'Field and Atlanta going to be this season?

Horseymen
08-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Josh is a HUGE Atlanta fan, it shocked me he ranked them low. He told me that they're going to have to get better as the season starts and may start 1-4 or 0-5 again.. which is why he didn't rank them high to start out with and he would know when they played Carthage how well they would be this year.

Gobbla2001
08-13-2004, 12:17 PM
Well that's good that you have unbiased people workin' over there...

Horseymen
08-13-2004, 12:27 PM
We'd rather admit our biases than have them come out over time in the name of unbiased journalism. We are all fans as writers and like to provide that perspective. But, I think the teams we love the most, when it comes to journalistic idealisms such as rankings, we are unduly hard on them. Small town papers obviously favor their team, even large newspapers favor certain demographically enhanced areas.. higherups have admitted as such off the record .. but you won't ever get which paper and which person admitted that out of me. ;)

spiveyrat
08-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Horseymen
Does Tyler cover them then? or do you have to be in Lufkin/Nac to get Jasper coverage out of Jasper?

I don't know if Tyler covers us or not. Jasper doesn't get the Tyler paper. I suspect Lufkin might cover Jasper. But, I don't know if Jasper gets the Lufkin paper on it's newsstands. I do think they get the Lufkin TV station on the local cable.

The only media that "covers" Jasper with any "regularity" that I know of are the Beaumont area papers/stations. And Jasper is step-children to them at best.

Buckeye80
08-22-2004, 11:08 AM
Ummmm......Tatum and Liberty-Eylau, #1 and 2.....no thanks. Granted Stephen Hodge is a good athlete, but he has no help. Remember when Reggie McNeal came in and beat Oklahoma? Later in the season, UT completely shut him down.
You'll see the same thing this year. Teams will build defensive schemes around shutting Mr Hodge down. If he can be contained, the Eagles can be beaten.
As for LE, Atlanta will win that district again. LE made the playoffs last year basically because Pleasant Grove's wheels fell off the wagon late in the season. There's no way they are a #2 team in East Texas.

My numbers for these two teams would be more like Tatum #9 and Liberty Eylau #12.

Keith7
08-22-2004, 12:16 PM
You can go to www.texasprepxtra.com and it should be on the front page, in the event it's not, you can click on team rankings on the left side and get it, or go to this direct link.

http://texasprepxtra.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=320126

Stop advertising 3A hater

Horseymen
08-22-2004, 01:12 PM
I'm a 3A hater now?! See if I tell our editor to pick Gainesville #1 in the state again!

Horseymen
08-22-2004, 01:14 PM
Again, I can't completely defend the 3A East Texas rankings, but I know Josh (the guy who does it) goes on 3 radio shows a week, has close connections with Atlanta and wouldn't pick LE to beat Atlanta if the coaches' didn't give him some indication that LE was truly the team to beat. I actually got mad at him for picking Atlanta too low because it's silly not to have the defending state champs in the top 20 in the state and a #5 East Texas team wouldn't make state rankings.

Keith7
08-22-2004, 01:41 PM
I'm a 3A hater now?! See if I tell our editor to pick Gainesville #1 in the state again!

im just jokin w/ you.. i just wish there was more 3A football on the texasprepxtra website

Horseymen
08-22-2004, 01:48 PM
This is going to sound weird, but one of the biggest reasons 3A doesn't get more coverage is because they don't play Thursday/Saturday games. With a growing but still somewhat limited staff, we rely on Thursday/Saturday games to get our good coverage.. and with 5A/4A, you always get a good Thursday and Saturday game.. but with 3A, it's 99% on Friday Night, and that 1% is Carrollton Ranchview.

But I will get to go see at least 1 Ranchview game this year so I'm excited about that. After we get our areas covered (South Texas and the Valley) a 3A/2A DFW focus writer is on our list.

To 3A football, play some Thursday/Saturday games for us!!