PDA

View Full Version : Is a 6A Divsion Possible??

AggieJohn
10-09-2002, 01:58 PM
with schools like plano east having over 5000 students in their high school....or big town's like beaumont combining all their H.S. .... their has been talk of a possible 6A division and massive realignment....give your thoughts?? and suggestions

Newton Fan
10-09-2002, 05:44 PM
I'm for a 6A classification.

Disparity between 345 and 899 HS enrollment is too wide in 3A.

PPHSfan
10-09-2002, 06:10 PM
Newton Fan:
I'm for a 6A classification.

Disparity between 345 and 899 HS enrollment is too wide in 3A.I agree Newton..heck it wouldn't bother me if there were 10A and only one state champ for from each division. Funny how 1A and 2A split up 344 students and below..and 3A has a swing of 555 all by themselves.

big daddy russ
10-09-2002, 06:31 PM
im not to big on the two-division playoff format. i think they should go ahead and pull together a 6A... maybe a 7A, who knows? it'd be a good idea.

HornetPride
10-09-2002, 06:37 PM
If it means one state champion in each Classification, go for it! The only problem I see, however, is that some geographic areas in Texas don't have enough big or small schools to compete in a given classification without traveling more than 200 miles for games one-way in the regular season - or even district. Imagine if El Paso had two Class 6A schools and had to compete in a 6A district with San Angelo because all other schools in El Paso were 5A or 4A. No way, Jose! I don't see this working for school district budgetary reasons, but the concept sounds nice.

mwynn05
10-09-2002, 06:40 PM
wow thats a good point

big daddy russ
10-09-2002, 06:52 PM
yeah, i never thought of that, but if they could make it work id be lovin life. i know a couple teams jump classifications already anyways... a few years ago, zapata was a 5A school with an enrollment of like 900 kids. they were forced to compete in 5A because there were no 4A schools even remotely close. now that theyve gone back under the 3A limit they get to play same-sized schools and can still play teams fairly close to home.

Jacket2000
10-09-2002, 07:33 PM
Over the summer I actually sat down and did the math, and in order to have it equal(in my format anyway) would be to make a 7A. That would put 32, 7 team districts in each class. Im thinking two playoff teams per district. It equals out untill you get to 1a-sixman,but since those are the only two classes that only have one champion, I say let'em stay the way they are. If it ain't broke, dont fix it.
J2K

Newton Fan
10-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Jacket 2000... When you worked up the numbers for the 7A classification what were the spreads?

How many in 1A, 2A, 3A, etc.

mwynn05
10-09-2002, 09:08 PM
wow zapata really got screwed

Old Dog
10-09-2002, 09:54 PM
I really don't care if there are more classifications, just get rid of the two division nonsense! Go back to two teams from each district advancing and forget all this "feel good" about yourself stuff. Third place teams don't belong in the playoffs. If I'm way off base, so be it!

HornetPride
10-09-2002, 10:18 PM
I agree. This whole two division system is flawed anyway because in a district with all small enrollments, the biggest of the smalls could have 380 students and be Division I and STILL play against other districts' Division I schools with enrollments of nearly 900 students. It's contradictory. So if that 380-student school advances to the state title game and wins the Division I crown (only because it came from a district with small schools), it could still end up being the "smaller" division because the Division II champion could have been the second largest school from its district to make the post-season with like 780 students. So Division I winners would have HALF as many students as Division II champs.
Besides, when you start dealing with high school teams with say 30 players, the best 11 are going to go up against another school's best 11 on the field. The only difference is maybe depth and having a handful of players more to sit out a few plays, but that's the only vaguely reasonable argument. Next thing you know, they'll have a Division I and II championship for left-handed players and right-handed players.
Someone please STOP THIS MADNESS! :-)

Jacket2000
10-09-2002, 10:34 PM
The two-tier system hasnt worked since it began. In the very first year of the system, the division 2 champion(Aldine) had 700 more students than the divison 1 champion(Marshall).
J2K

AggieJohn
10-09-2002, 11:26 PM
Old Dog:
I really don't care if there are more classifications, just get rid of the two division nonsense! Go back to two teams from each district advancing and forget all this "feel good" about yourself stuff. Third place teams don't belong in the playoffs. If I'm way off base, so be it!First of all i don't believe long trips would be a problem for some huge schools budget wise...many schools such as baytown lee played at the alamodome at the first of the season and brought all 434 9th-jv-varsity members...many schools could afford to do it..maybe bring down the numbers i guess for classification...the other thing is the tier system..i think it was only put in to counter balance the wide range of that give to each classification...if that makes anysense....if they could do soemthing with the numbers...perhaps shorten them down some..then elimnatingg the two tier system would be cool.....

also...3 teams is essential for some districts that host more than six teams......i think that the top 30% should move on too playoffs giving a six team district 2 teams, a 8 team district 3 teams and over in houston their are 11 and 10 team districts so that would be 4 teams almost..ya know.

HornetPride
10-10-2002, 08:13 AM
Hey, dude, can I have some of what you're smokin?

AggieJohn
10-10-2002, 10:41 AM
Not smoking a thing...what is unclear to you

HornetPride
10-10-2002, 10:44 AM
The games at the Alamodome are by invitation only if you're talking about the HEB Classics. You're also referring to 5A programs, not 3A where funds are more scarce. Any time we have a game more than 100 miles away, you can literally count the number of people in the stands. Playoffs are a little better but this topic is about being put in a revamped district against schools a long way off in the regular season long before playoffs are an issue.

football_fanatic
10-10-2002, 11:04 AM
Hornetpride is right about the geographic questions. I agree that it would be great to have another classification. I like having three teams in the playoffs! Lots of reasons...but mainly b/c this lets good teams in even though they are in tough districts. If a weak team gets in the playoffs, they are usually eliminated anyways. I WOULD like to see the DI and DII schools play each other for a TRUE champ for each class.

big daddy russ
10-10-2002, 11:58 AM
explayer, hornet hit the nail on the head. thats why zapata had to play 5A teams... because of budget costs (read my other post on here). the robin hood act gives some of these other small schools some funds but it still isnt enough. my district (ingleside) used to be one of the richest 3A districts in texas before robin hood hit us, and we were still tight when it came to traveling. you have to remember, every school is also going to have to play each of these teams twice in volleyball, mens and womens hoops, and baseball/softball. and, like hornet said, any game that far away will really deplete your fan base. its not as bad for the sintons or evermans because successful teams have fans that will follow them to the ends of the earth. but for us inglesides (whose team isnt exactly a powerhouse), the community is nowhere near as supportive. i'd love to see there be seven classifications, but it probably won't happen.

exbccards76'smom
10-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Traveling distance is a problem. Bridge City is one of the biggest schools in this district, but not one of the richest. http://www.trianglefootball.net/graphics/pagetop.gif

evebulldog01
10-10-2002, 04:40 PM
I would like to see a 6A for Texas but I don't see it happenign for geographical reasons. As for the whole argument over whether a third place team should be allowed into the playoffs or not. I would present the following case. In 1999 Everman played in a 4A district with Stephenville, Brownwood, Cleburne, Joshua, Burleson, Crowely, and Granbury. In this year Stephenville went 10-0 (16-0) DII state champs. with a (7-0) record in district. Brownwood went 8-2 with a (5-2) record in district and 9-3 overall. Everman went 7-3 with a (5-2) record in district and a (8-4) record overall. Everman lost to Cleburne who went 4-3 in district and Stephnville. Brownwood lost to Stephenville and Everman and yet becuase Everman had one more loss in heading into the playoffs we still wouldn't have gotten to go. So a 5-2 team as far as district goes would have been sitting at home come playoff time with a win over the second place team.

AggieJohn
10-11-2002, 12:25 PM
i don't think that a 6a division would effect division 3a we would all basically play the people that we play right now...but the richer 5a schools would have money to travel and stuff like that...plus i just think 200 teams in one classification is just way too much......this isn't the NCAA