PDA

View Full Version : Cross country in August?

Old Cardinal
08-11-2004, 12:39 PM
I think maybe Coach Cody Knight is an unsung hero in Coaching motivation. I saw him running with the boys cross country team from Bridge City yesterday. Knight does not ask anyone to do any training/conditioning that he will not do himself. The group were running the length of the rice canal levee down West Roundbunch road, back and forth for about 1 1/2 miles. First they would run the top of the levee then the adjacent flat ground. Next they would run the 40 degrees pitch of the side of the levee for the length of the course only to turn and return run the pitch of the levee all the way back. NEXT they seem to be running a zig-zag climb and decent pattern up and down the levee in a guerling muscle defeating final conditioning mode that would make a paratroopers training look equal in toughness!
I guess what made me notice was that Coach Knight was running the cross country course right along with them....Last year these kids were Freshman and Sophomores and were defeated for the state championship and came in second to a great team from Elgin. Win or lose this year they are already giving
their all to get an opportunity to run for the State Championship.

Would you share a story of a Coach across Texas that is a true inspiration to the athletes that he or she works with?

Cameronbystander
08-11-2004, 01:27 PM
In Cameron Coach Keen runs with the boys. I have heard that every weekend he has them over to his house for breakfast before they go running.

He also has participated in the 100 mile run in Colorado at least three times. He spoke to our Rotary club and I believe that you have to love pain to run in this race. I think he finished the race the last time that he ran in it. It is the most grueling thing I have ever heard of someone doing.

Old Cardinal
08-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Great story about Coach Keen. Can you tell us about Cameron's team last year and prospects for this coming season?